Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Young Freud posted:

I'm doing the retweet of this news because people might have forgotten her cheering on Musk for pushing all the Twitter employees to sleep in at the office...
https://twitter.com/punished_cait/status/1629927460417544197?s=20
Twitter Blue was Crawford's baby, so I'd guess that things aren't going well with subscribers.

Apparently a bunch of the Musk loyalists got purged in this latest round of layoffs.
https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1629882863507357696?s=20

Wow who could have guessed that toadying up to a flighty, capricious tyrant wouldn't be a guarantee of safety?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's very funny whenever you see people trying to be loyal to Elon or Trump, because they are loyal to no one in return

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's very funny whenever you see people trying to be loyal to Elon or Trump, because they are loyal to no one in return

Elon appears to be worse than Trump at it by what I have seen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've said it before about Trump and Vince McMahon (actual friends, possible siblings) that trying to suck up to a narcissist is pointless because it just means that you're one of the first things around when they want someone to blame or just gently caress over because they're bored. They expect fawning sycophancy as the norm, and don't recognise it as requiring or deserving any kind of special treatment in return.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said it before about Trump and Vince McMahon (actual friends, possible siblings) that trying to suck up to a narcissist is pointless because it just means that you're one of the first things around when they want someone to blame or just gently caress over because they're bored. They expect fawning sycophancy as the norm, and don't recognise it as requiring or deserving any kind of special treatment in return.

Or you just hung on because you figured you'd profit from a power vacuum.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Name Change posted:

Or you just hung on because you figured you'd profit from a power vacuum.

Joke's on them, narcs also never ever let anyone else have any power at all, even and especially when they desperately need to delegate for any actual work to get done. (and even then, they'll micromanage everything to pieces)

Basically hearing a lot about Vince McMahon's weird bullshit explains SO MUCH about people like Trump and Musk. They all do the same poo poo, in any setting and structure. Chris Roberts too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Joke's on them, narcs also never ever let anyone else have any power at all, even and especially when they desperately need to delegate for any actual work to get done. (and even then, they'll micromanage everything to pieces)

Basically hearing a lot about Vince McMahon's weird bullshit explains SO MUCH about people like Trump and Musk. They all do the same poo poo, in any setting and structure. Chris Roberts too.

Yeah we have documented cases where Musk diverts every resource he can to solving personal pet projects of no real importance at Twitter, from the beginning of his takeover to the recent "I have to always be trending" thing. Meanwhile the company is in no position to meet FTC or EU regulatory obligations, but who cares I'm King Musk, gotta use my free time to platform more racists. Any true Musk loyalists at the company at this point probably just got fired or are too far gone to reason with. It matters little whether one waits to be fired or goes of their own volition at Twitter though, Musk will go out of his way to not pay severance.

Vince identifies with Trump because they both see themselves as new money rebels on the east coast, and yes Vince famously micromanages his entire company, down to controlling the lines of the commentators on live TV minute-to-minute. Decades of that. The company will look very different when he finally dies. It almost did before he had the unmitigated gall to re-assume control after being outed as a sex pest who paid tens of millions in hush money, not unlike a certain Donald Trump.

Wrestling is way out of the scope of this thread and is a famously corrupt hole with no bottom, worth its own thread.

For more relevant examples, there's James Dolan, whose use of facial recognition software to ban anyone on his personal shitlist from entering Madison Square Garden may ultimately cause legislation to get on the books to prevent that sort of abuse. Dolan is eerily similar to Trump in that he can't really stay coherent in person and just fixates on random bizarre poo poo: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/26/nyregion/james-dolan-madison-square-garden.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Name Change posted:

Wrestling is way out of the scope of this thread and is a famously corrupt hole with no bottom, worth its own thread.

We have a whole subforum about it even.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Musk did heavily reward the loyalists who were able to win his favor. When things go badly, he reacts by firing someone nearby, but the people who've been able to deal with him well have typically been able to make sure that someone else is standing closer to him when he flies into a rage. It's just that Twitter has been going so badly that Elon has been purging all but his most favored flunkies. Even Alex Spiro, who's been his favorite lawyer since the "pedo guy" days, got ousted.

Crawford did manage to rocket through the ranks, going from director of product management to a top product exec directly leading Elon's favorite projects. But when even the Tesla favorites he brought with him to Twitter are getting booted, her long-term chances were slim.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

Musk did heavily reward the loyalists who were able to win his favor. When things go badly, he reacts by firing someone nearby, but the people who've been able to deal with him well have typically been able to make sure that someone else is standing closer to him when he flies into a rage. It's just that Twitter has been going so badly that Elon has been purging all but his most favored flunkies. Even Alex Spiro, who's been his favorite lawyer since the "pedo guy" days, got ousted.

Crawford did manage to rocket through the ranks, going from director of product management to a top product exec directly leading Elon's favorite projects. But when even the Tesla favorites he brought with him to Twitter are getting booted, her long-term chances were slim.

technically alex spiro, a highly qualified commercial litigator, just got fired from being a de facto twitter officer which was an absurd thing for him to be doing in the first place because no part of being a good commercial litigator means you know how to run a business at all

he's still musk's personal lawyer

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Twitter probably has a lot to learn from SpaceX too (the only actual Elong success story besides blundering into PayPal). I remember they call dealing with him/minimizing his damage "executive management" or something similar. There's a lot people who are specifically skilled in Musk whispering.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

cat botherer posted:

Twitter probably has a lot to learn from SpaceX too (the only actual Elong success story besides blundering into PayPal). I remember they call dealing with him/minimizing his damage "executive management" or something similar. There's a lot people who are specifically skilled in Musk whispering.

I hate linking to the NY Post, but this is the most recent story I can find about how capricious and distracting Musk's leadership style can be.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/18/spacex-employees-enjoy-calm-as-elon-musk-distracted-by-twitter/

I think there was some longer piece from an anonymous blogger talking about Tesla and SpaceX employees implementing special routines when Musk was around to keep him from interfering too much into real work. I wish I could find it now, but it may be buried in the C-Spam Doomsday Economics thread.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I hate linking to the NY Post, but this is the most recent story I can find about how capricious and distracting Musk's leadership style can be.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/18/spacex-employees-enjoy-calm-as-elon-musk-distracted-by-twitter/

I think there was some longer piece from an anonymous blogger talking about Tesla and SpaceX employees implementing special routines when Musk was around to keep him from interfering too much into real work. I wish I could find it now, but it may be buried in the C-Spam Doomsday Economics thread.

This might be the one you're looking for.

My favorite example: "The funniest example of “stage management” I can remember is this dude on the IT security team. He had a script running in a terminal on one of his monitors that would output random garbage, Matrix-style, so that it always looked like he was doing Important Computer Things to anyone who walked by his desk."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At my last job I used to fill my whiteboard with mundane Powershell commands in multiple colors. Stuff like the command to create an Active Directory password report. Definitely impressed the few VIP types who passed by.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

At my last job I used to fill my whiteboard with mundane Powershell commands in multiple colors. Stuff like the command to create an Active Directory password report. Definitely impressed the few VIP types who passed by.

Glad to hear wizard of Oz desktop tactics are still in practice. Time is a circle.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Scott Adams putting on a demonstration of how terrible people maintain their bubble.

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1630324806896762881?s=20

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 27, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dick Trauma posted:

Scott Adams putting on a demonstration of how terrible people maintain their bubble.

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1630324806896762881?s=20

You are not ready:

I mean the first sentence "I've lost three careers to direct racism so far." is technically true just not in the way he's intending it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I haven't made a close re-examination of Scott Adams' early work, though I'm certain others have, but it's an interesting question to me if he developed into a complete "reverse racism" dork or if people have interviewed old coworkers who noted that he was always like this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Name Change posted:

I haven't made a close re-examination of Scott Adams' early work, though I'm certain others have, but it's an interesting question to me if he developed into a complete "reverse racism" dork or if people have interviewed old coworkers who noted that he was always like this.

There was this insanely racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. parody edit series of Dilbert called The Dilbert Hole, and on some level it like, reading it made something click and then seeing a lot of actual comics even before they got really busted in their online incarnation you could see how The DIlbert Hole's versions of the characters were exaggerations but not particularly far off.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Neo Rasa posted:

You are not ready:

I mean the first sentence "I've lost three careers to direct racism so far." is technically true just not in the way he's intending it.

He's so perilously close to actually grasping the point he's making by accident... if he achieved it, he'd likely self-destruct.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You know what they say, if everyone you meet seems to be a racist…

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

haveblue posted:

You know what they say, if everyone you meet seems to be a racist…

You’re in Florida?

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any reason why Musk can`t just have his Tweets be forcibly shown to every Twitter account?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baudolino posted:

Is there any reason why Musk can`t just have his Tweets be forcibly shown to every Twitter account?

no, which is why he did that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Baudolino posted:

No. There is no one who can tell him no and make it stick. If he wants to exempt himself from twitter’s block functionality and replace the algorithm with “show my tweets”, he can

The only constraints on his behavior are that he is still theoretically trying to make the site attractive to paying users and advertisers, and he can’t a make a request so outlandish that every single remaining programmer quits. Within that, anything goes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Every time I follow a link back to twitter, one of his dumbass tweets is always right below the replies. Generally a meme that if I saw it here would be a "go back to Reddit" probation. I had assumed he's been doing this for awhile now. I go there maybe once every couple days and have platform.twitter.com blocked on all websites so it's gotta just be some kind of default thing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Every time I follow a link back to twitter, one of his dumbass tweets is always right below the replies. Generally a meme that if I saw it here would be a "go back to Reddit" probation. I had assumed he's been doing this for awhile now. I go there maybe once every couple days and have platform.twitter.com blocked on all websites so it's gotta just be some kind of default thing.

There was a publicly documented push by him to make sure his tweets had maximum engagement, because they were cratering in popularity.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Name Change posted:

There was a publicly documented push by him to make sure his tweets had maximum engagement, because they were cratering in popularity.

more specifically, because they were cratering in popularity and the person who told him that it was because he was less popular rather than it being a bug in twitter's code was fired on the spot in a rage (literally screaming "you're fired, you're fired"), so the remaining engineers "fixed" the "problem"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even more specifically, it was because his tweet about the Super Bowl got a lot less engagement than Biden’s tweet about the Super Bowl

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

haveblue posted:

Even more specifically, it was because his tweet about the Super Bowl got a lot less engagement than Biden’s tweet about the Super Bowl

This is the part I love. He can't get over the fact that his tweets are less popular than *checks notes* the literally most powerful man in the world at the moment.

Oh, wait, no, the best part is that Biden just doesn't loving care. The man has absolutely zero fucks to give his political opponents, Musk isn't even worth summoning the energy to laugh him out of the room.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I love how I still dont even know what kind of generic probably team neutral bird post Biden did, but I know Musk actually did pick a team.

oh and then the team lost.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think they actually both Tweeted in support of Philadelphia. I don't know why anyone would care about which team Musk is supporting but it upset him apparently.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Also Biden's tweet was just objectively better by any measure. It's completely milquetoast and inoffensive and it probably took an intern about ten seconds to come up with it, but there's an actual setup and punchline there.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1624931580962656261

Elon's meanwhile was literally just GO EAGLES and the fact that he got so mad about something so lame beating him kinda explains why he steals other people's jokes so much

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
always good to deflect to being in favor of your SO's pick.

also I cant read musk's soul/mind, but if he's like Donnie the fact he picked a loser and WAS WRONG eats at his stupid soul atoms.

lol at caring too much at an event where you get drunk and eat junk food.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

PhazonLink posted:

lol at caring too much at an event where you get drunk and eat junk food.

You know perfectly well he wouldn't be doing anything nearly as fun as this even if he wasn't at the event to network with today's right-wing media empire of choice.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Crap, that was a tweet from months ago.

NM

It was a fox headline stating Elon thinks he will be assassinated.

Still alive.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 6, 2023

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Any twitter link now just brings up

code:
{"errors":[{"message":"Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information","code":467}]}
Includes twitter.com main page as well

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kloaked00 posted:

Any twitter link now just brings up

code:
{"errors":[{"message":"Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information","code":467}]}
Includes twitter.com main page as well

Cloud providers today, surprisingly not Elon.

edit: lol

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 6, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
dev environment? What's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

dev environment? What's that?

Sounds like a cost centre to me, op.