Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You guys ok up there?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
They go Jadd pretty often and it's always great to see.

Usually it's followed shortly by a massive implosion and the normal religion will return with the successor states.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Rynoto posted:

They go Jadd pretty often and it's always great to see.

Usually it's followed shortly by a massive implosion and the normal religion will return with the successor states.

The centaur disaster is actually quite fun to play through. You've unified the tribes and been effortlessly steamrolling people, then stop to wait for truce timers. Your empire then explodes because you have no zeal and multiple hordes rise up, which you have to quickly murder before you run out of manpower.

The trick is to get the mission that gives +5 stab on declaring war and simply never stop invading.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

More cheevos :toot:

Notes:
-I did Beylik thunderdome cause frankly that's more fun than an Ottoman start.
-I didn't take influence because I didn't need the liberty desire idea with lenient taxation, leviathan, and strong duchys providing -35%

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

aqu posted:

The real reason to want EUV is for WASD camera controls.

The real reason is that there are just too many modifiers that most players neither understand or care about.

For trade alone there are a half a dozen confusing modifiers that people just click through when an event pops up.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve been playing this game off and on since release and I’m pretty sure at this point I only use or understand like half the systems in the game.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
can confirm the game is designed for people on the spectrum

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yikes don't they teach eu4 in high school anymore?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

aqu posted:

The real reason to want EUV is for WASD camera controls.

I want it for the vain hope that they'll fix the loving map projection. That is not where the Americas are :colbert:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

I want it for the vain hope that they'll fix the loving map projection. That is not where the Americas are :colbert:
This, WASD, and fixed trade mechanics are my big asks for EU5.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The two things I want in a sequel are for them to rework advisors so I don't have to fire a dozen dudes in order to get the one I need, and to remove the special AI attraction beacon on Corfu that makes it irresistible to my war allies

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

my big wish for EU5 would be more control over how trade flows but with fewer modifiers and mechanisms internal to the trade system (ie what the gently caress is caravan power? and what does a trade steering bonus actually do compared to a trade power bonus? and what does trade steering actually abstract within the simulation?). Specifically, I dislike the hard coded end node system, and I think that there should be (clearer) bonuses and benefits for having trade pass through your territory even if you don't necessarily monopolize.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

My big wish is for the game to end around 1650 so it doesn't become a boring slog

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PittTheElder posted:

give us an actual globe imo

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I want dynamic trade so you can properly model the silk road being bypassed by sailing around Africa.

I also want army supply lines and anything to represent the difficulty European armies had actually projecting force into the Americas. It shouldn’t be possible for the AI to send their entire force limit to fight in Mexico.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Detheros posted:

My big wish is for the game to end around 1650 so it doesn't become a boring slog

lets say 1700 something, I do not want the game to end in the middle of the 30 years war

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

If your 30yr war is going more than 2 years past it's historical end date of 1648 it's bad and deserves to end right there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TaurusTorus posted:

I also want army supply lines and anything to represent the difficulty European armies had actually projecting force into the Americas. It shouldn’t be possible for the AI to send their entire force limit to fight in Mexico.

Problem with that is then you have to make them stronger than the natives again, or they won't project power at all.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

PittTheElder posted:

Clearly they should pick a period-accurate projection from the region you play in

I am unreasonably irked by Anbennar's perfectly circular exploding elf crater for two contradictory reasons. One, craters aren't perfect circles. Two, perfect circles do not (generally) project as such on a map. In conclusion, elves have no sense of geometry.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Xerophyte posted:

I am unreasonably irked by Anbennar's perfectly circular exploding elf crater for two contradictory reasons. One, craters aren't perfect circles. Two, perfect circles do not (generally) project as such on a map. In conclusion, elves have no sense of geometry.

maybe the crater isn't a perfect circle, and it just looks like one when you project it onto a map

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I've only played a couple games in Anbrennar, but wasn't it a magical explosion?

Wafflecopper posted:

maybe the crater isn't a perfect circle, and it just looks like one when you project it onto a map

This works too

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was the precursor's flying city exploding.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Is Anbennar even a globe? Maybe it’s flat and wraps around east/west by magic

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CommonShore posted:

my big wish for EU5 would be more control over how trade flows but with fewer modifiers and mechanisms internal to the trade system (ie what the gently caress is caravan power? and what does a trade steering bonus actually do compared to a trade power bonus? and what does trade steering actually abstract within the simulation?). Specifically, I dislike the hard coded end node system, and I think that there should be (clearer) bonuses and benefits for having trade pass through your territory even if you don't necessarily monopolize.

Trade having 8+ modifiers all called trade something and merchant something is really pointlessly confusing, especially now there's a tier of govt reforms where you have to pick between different trade bonuses. I have no idea what the difference between them even is.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Red Bones posted:

Trade having 8+ modifiers all called trade something and merchant something is really pointlessly confusing, especially now there's a tier of govt reforms where you have to pick between different trade bonuses. I have no idea what the difference between them even is.

And only like 2 of them actually do anything significant

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
EUV better have at LEAST twice as many modifiers or I will be boycotting

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I think changes to trade in EU5 is a given. The game has walked a long road to acknowledge that Chuckchi tribe conquering the world is a valid outcome and the trade system is one of the few things that doesn't acknowledge this possibility.

In a way Imperator-style narrative mission trees will also work great and I feel what we have in EU4 now is a placeholder for that. We will never get proper Chuckchi (or think of other 200 playable factions) narrative support for the whole playthrough, but we can have Imperator-style generated mission trees that get some additions/replacements in them based on the region, culture, religion, power status etc. And completely unique mission trees and events can always be added in flavor packs, of course.

I can think of little other reasons for a sequel. UI and graphics are old, true, but this doesn't sound like a reason enough. I understand unlike CK2 technical issues are more or less resolved and Tinto made a good job of fixing a lot of technical debt. Hard to imagine EU5 being some grand reimagining, this series is too important for PDX so I expect them play safe, and it probably means we'll wait for a long time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Return the gameplay dates to 1492-1792 and then gimme my got dang March of the Eagles: Real Game Edition

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

Clearly they should pick a period-accurate projection from the region you play in

this is just warhammer

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Tbh one of the big flaws of I:R was that it didn't really distinguish itself, because it was mostly iterating on EU4 systems. I'd be happy with an EU5 that took IR as a starting point, with the noble family stuff stripped out and the trade refined a bit more.

The stupid feature I'd love for EU5 would be a proprietary canal building system, as it is set during the golden age of canals. I'm not sure how they'd do it, though. Maybe making all of the existing rivers on the map into splines, and then letting players add branches to them as canals.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mantis42 posted:

this is just warhammer

And about half of all other FRPG world maps, more or less.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Red Bones posted:

Tbh one of the big flaws of I:R was that it didn't really distinguish itself, because it was mostly iterating on EU4 systems.

Yes, it was a true sequel to EU Rome in that regard!

It seems Paradox is determined to bring 3D portraits to all of their games now so I'd be OK with some character representation. I appreciate what CK3 does but I want a strategy game with characters, not a dollhouse with a map attached, and I:R systems make me much more invested in characters. Keeping a good general loyal and dealing with insane king blunders is all the character interaction I want out of my strategy game, and I think even I:R could strip away some of the stuff like families and their desire to hold a specific number of offices.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Return the gameplay dates to 1492-1792 and then gimme my got dang March of the Eagles: Real Game Edition

Also remove Byzantine cores :unsmigghh:

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Detheros posted:

If your 30yr war is going more than 2 years past it's historical end date of 1648 it's bad and deserves to end right there.

in the middle of the night I had my dates mixed up and thought the thirty years war was 1648 to 1678 :froggonk:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So thinking about it a bit more, the trade system would be improved by linking it to commoddity prices and creating passive demand networks as a consequence of the development and available goods in any given province - basically simulating the Joseph Addisson idea:

quote:

The fruits of Portugal are corrected by the products of Barbadoes: the infusion of a China plant sweetened with the pith of an Indian cane. The Philippick Islands give a flavour to our European bowls. The single dress of a woman of quality is often the product of a hundred climates. The muff and the fan come together from the different ends of the earth. The scarf is sent from the torrid zone, and the tippet from beneath the pole. The brocade Petticoat rises out of the mines of Peru, and the diamond necklace out of the bowels of Indostan.

If sticking on the current EU4 tripartite mana/dev system, high admin development would produce demand for certain goods (paper, incense, idk), high diplo would produce for others (salt, naval supplies), high mil for yet others (iron, copper) and then total development for luxury goods and things of that nature. Likely other factors could drive demand and price too, such as religion, gov forms, or other events. When an area demands a good the price goes up, which affects production profits. If that good has to go a long distance, that creates trade, which gets routed, and the routes have certain passive effects of their own which could be manipulated - i.e. if heavy trade is going from Malacca to Sevilla via Zanzibar, East Africa, South Africa, Kongo, and Ivory Coast would get bonuses as it passes. Within the current system that could be eg institution spread, tech cost, and maybe even free dev.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-28th-of-february-2023-great-britain.1571232/

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The three kingdoms wars! Traditional English historians will be rolling in their graves!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ah yes the Roundtops, the Cavaliers, and Cao Cao.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Catholics trying to kill Cromwell but he keeps using his weather magic to sink their fleets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

So, uh, if you have a Restoration of Union CB and you turn republic...

You can have a Junior Partner as a Republic, lol