Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well hell, that sounds like a perfect description of the endless content mill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
To highlight each movie will have one additional swear word than the last.

Five movies in they will show one tit.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Martman posted:

idk I feel like lotr is at least a little bit about how you can destroy Satan and then usher in a golden age

Sauron was only the messenger, actual Satan (Morgoth) is still out there biding his time.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Even after Morgoth, there is still the Mostgoth...

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
At the next level, the market demands non-linear value. We go down to a single goth. I give you... Leastgoth, by Warner Bros Discovery with Karl Lagerfeld.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Then, suddenly, a portal opens: it’s The Flash! He’s followed by several Batmen, Wonder Woman, Neo, at least three Jokers, and the most recognizable of the Looney Tunes properties. “We need your help for a threat that’s coming for all of us” growls the Michael Keaton Batman.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Then, suddenly, a portal opens: it’s The Flash! He’s followed by several Batmen, Wonder Woman, Neo, at least three Jokers, and the most recognizable of the Looney Tunes properties. “We need your help for a threat that’s coming for all of us” growls the Michael Keaton Batman.

NEVER-ENDING STORY
OOOHHH OHHH OOOHHH
STOOO-RY

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Even after Morgoth, there is still the Mostgoth...

He should be revealed at the end of a movie where Morgoth is defeated, with a Linkin Park song playing over the scene.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The MSJ posted:

He should be revealed at the end of a movie where Morgoth is defeated, with a Linkin Park song playing over the scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2cdSdlXBrw&t=120s

This scene, including Christopher Lambert playing gandalf

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hahaha back then the director can still be credited as just Paul Anderson.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Martman posted:

Still one of the greatest final scenes of all time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Martman posted:

So Frank Welker as Dr. Claw as Sauron?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I AM GRANDO posted:

Then, suddenly, a portal opens: it’s The Flash! He’s followed by several Batmen, Wonder Woman, Neo, at least three Jokers, and the most recognizable of the Looney Tunes properties. “We need your help for a threat that’s coming for all of us to win a basketball game” growls the Michael Keaton Jordan Batman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martman posted:

idk I feel like lotr is at least a little bit about how you can destroy Satan and then usher in a golden age

It's really not a golden age they're ushering in- if anything it's the end of one, despite also beating the big bad guys. The marvellous friendly magical people all have to leave sooner or later as the world can't sustain them any more, and the great heroes and the societies they fought so hard to protect are all going to fade into myth and mundane history. And none of the heroes made it out without scars, physical and mental, Frodo and Bilbo explicitly leave with the Elves because the Ring's left a mark on them that can't be healed anywhere else, and Sam knows he'll eventually join them. All the best they can hope for is that life goes on, and there is joy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I gotta admit I'm pretty ignorant of LOTR lore. I just fundamentally think the idea of endlessly fleshing out its universe with extra stories is.... not exactly un-tolkien-like you know? I definitely am not into the endless mining of content from every IP, but the only part that really surprised me in this case is that they're making their own poo poo up instead of consulting the Silmarillion etc

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
While I enjoy The Hobbit and to a slightly lesser degree The Lord of the Rings, I overall am not a fan of Tolkien's kind of melancholy view of the march of history. The entire idea of magic disappearing from the lands, all the "great" races and people leaving the world, and the world falling into mundane dreariness is kind of off-putting to me once you think about it too hard. It really feels like something that's attractive if you are a well-read, educated white dude who feels like some vague concept of "the past" was better and that everything new is worse, but it kind of falls apart if you consider that, no, a lot of stuff is better than it was before. A lot of the big Tolkien fans I know are nice dudes, but they are the kind of guys that just cannot stop reminiscing about some non-existent better time when being able speak in middle-English and wearing a nice hat was signs of great intelligence instead of indications of them just being incels.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Martman posted:

I gotta admit I'm pretty ignorant of LOTR lore. I just fundamentally think the idea of endlessly fleshing out its universe with extra stories is.... not exactly un-tolkien-like you know? I definitely am not into the endless mining of content from every IP, but the only part that really surprised me in this case is that they're making their own poo poo up instead of consulting the Silmarillion etc

I don't think Tolkien's work lends itself well to the modern model of endless franchising(at least in film format) in service of the tiktok generation where its always about the next thing after the one before it has been quickly consumed.

Would I like to see some really talented film makers who love Tolkien(not those cringe vapid airheads Amazon hired) take a crack at Beren and Luthien, Children of Hurin, or some Studio Ghibli style animation stuff of the first age? Yes. But, thats completely different than trying to build an MCU / Star Wars style empire out of it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

davidspackage posted:

Michael Keaton B. Jordan Batman

:hmmyes:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

While I enjoy The Hobbit and to a slightly lesser degree The Lord of the Rings, I overall am not a fan of Tolkien's kind of melancholy view of the march of history. The entire idea of magic disappearing from the lands, all the "great" races and people leaving the world, and the world falling into mundane dreariness is kind of off-putting to me once you think about it too hard. It really feels like something that's attractive if you are a well-read, educated white dude who feels like some vague concept of "the past" was better and that everything new is worse, but it kind of falls apart if you consider that, no, a lot of stuff is better than it was before. A lot of the big Tolkien fans I know are nice dudes, but they are the kind of guys that just cannot stop reminiscing about some non-existent better time when being able speak in middle-English and wearing a nice hat was signs of great intelligence instead of indications of them just being incels.

Tolkien was attempting to build a sort of English myth, and integrating both his experiences of being at war and scholarship on early mediaeval history - all of these contain elements of outsized heroic characters which contrast with the drabber present. It definitely creates tension with some more modern ideals but still makes for great art (see also Parade's End for a more explicit treatment of this)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

While I enjoy The Hobbit and to a slightly lesser degree The Lord of the Rings, I overall am not a fan of Tolkien's kind of melancholy view of the march of history. The entire idea of magic disappearing from the lands, all the "great" races and people leaving the world, and the world falling into mundane dreariness is kind of off-putting to me once you think about it too hard. It really feels like something that's attractive if you are a well-read, educated white dude who feels like some vague concept of "the past" was better and that everything new is worse, but it kind of falls apart if you consider that, no, a lot of stuff is better than it was before.

To be fair, it was written after the First World War.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I think Farmer Giles of Ham could make for a fun movie, although it might be a bit short.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Byzantine posted:

To be fair, it was written after the First World War.

And during the Depression and WW2, lol

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nostalgamus posted:

I think Farmer Giles of Ham could make for a fun movie, although it might be a bit short.

Let's make it two movies just to be sure.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just read that Tom Sizemore had a brain aneurysm and is not expected to ever come out of the coma he's in, so his family's deciding whether or not to cut life support.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Awful :(

Still one of the best lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8xlR3IjWLU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
regret to inform
https://twitter.com/THR/status/931664732792135680?s=20

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sizemore also used Heidi Fleiss as a punching bag for several years, and did the same with another girlfriend a few years ago.

Garbage human being.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Oh yeah, I forgot about that bad stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8xlR3IjWLU

Didn’t forget the good stuff though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the part where pacino shoots him with the FNC was improvised and they just decided to use the footage

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Using a child as a bullet shield sums him up quite well.

A piece a’poo poo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yeah, didn't Sizemore have a "his career's finished, over, kaput" period after the violence charges, which was then just... forgotten?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Payndz posted:

Yeah, didn't Sizemore have a "his career's finished, over, kaput" period after the violence charges, which was then just... forgotten?

Apparently Saban films doesn't care which is mainly what he did for the last 15 years. Wish the teamsters who were running around with hammers trying to find him after he assaulted the child had actually managed to find him

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Timby posted:

Sizemore also used Heidi Fleiss as a punching bag for several years, and did the same with another girlfriend a few years ago.

Garbage human being.

And then Dr. Drew put them on the same season of Celebrity Rehab and acted like it was a complete accident so he could continue abusing her but now on television.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And then Dr. Drew put them on the same season of Celebrity Rehab and acted like it was a complete accident so he could continue abusing her but now on television.

Was Dr. Drew always a horrible quack or did that happen later because my memory of him on Loveline was "Dude with decent advice putting up with idiot co-host".

But that was also like 20 years ago at this point so I'm going to assume he always sucked and was just better at hiding it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mean, the other guy on the show was Adam Carolla.

I'm not sure about the 90s during his Loveline days, but he was a piece of poo poo as soon as Celebrity Rehab started airing because it was obvious the show was never about treatment the way they'd bring in surprise guests designed to make people lose control and relapse.

"Now I know this is your third season on the show Jeff Conway and the whole world has watched you deteriorate, but you've been doing well these past few days. So we're going to bring in your girlfriend who you've been arrested for assaulting"

And then Drew had the balls to say "Oh, Jeff was too far gone, we couldn't help him"

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 28, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah I think Adam was an open douchebag so nobody expected much else, but being the 90s it was seen as the closest thing to sex positivity

Dr. Drew being a "real" doctor probably made him look better in comparison to the murder psychics on Montel, Maurey, Ricky Lake etc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big surprise but the new Children of the Corn reboot is getting bad reviews. Apparently they added a weird revenge angle where the kids hate the adults because the adults killed a bunch of kids in a botched hostage situation. Also a muddled message about GMOs and government subsidies.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I just assume that any TV or radio doctor is a demon from the foulest pit of hell and I have yet to be proven wrong on that

Beware anyone who refers to themselves as a doctor outside of a medical setting

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Big surprise but the new Children of the Corn reboot is getting bad reviews. Apparently they added a weird revenge angle where the kids hate the adults because the adults killed a bunch of kids in a botched hostage situation. Also a muddled message about GMOs and government subsidies.

Lmao sure why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Other than maybe the first have any of the Children of the Corn films been any good?

The original King stories is alright, but um there really isn't much to it.