Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
MSC has something like 4+ month requirement before you can even request a relief and then its another 4+ to actually get one. COVID ruined this cause ~national defense~ or whatever even while the Navy can relieve their own sailors or let them go home when in port.

Edit: USCG finally accepted all my paperwork for Chief Engineer after months of telling me they didn't receive anything I sent and then telling me that I didn't sign the paperwork they didn't receive. Motherfucker its got an electronic signature and date clear as loving day. I guess CCing the NMC and everyone at the REC when my application status was updated to canceled on Friday helped straighten it finally.

hosed up my interview with LLNL for a NIF director job and I'm still super depressed but hopefully get into Sandia instead and never go back to sea.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/Navy_Hipple/status/1630102815233437697?s=20

Here I thought the 2011-2012 Bataan ARG deployment was bad

Pretty lovely year to be mobilized but at least I was on a USNS ship so the food was good and we did get a few weeks total off the ship.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
https://twitter.com/JournoGeoffZ/status/1630362283305230336?s=20https://twitter.com/JournoGeoffZ/status/1630362283305230336?s=20

Good Navy for once?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

USNS Maury is the only confederate name sake still.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Bad luck to change the name, should've just replaced it

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

slurm posted:

Bad luck to change the name, should've just replaced it

At least that's a better reason to change the name than "we want to reuse the current name for a cooler ship".

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Smalls was a loving bad rear end dude. Glad he gets a ship named after him.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

USNS Maury is the only confederate name sake still.

They just renamed Maury Hall at usna for Jimmy Carter. The superintendents house is still has a confederate name afaik

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Too bad its the most broken CG in the fleet. Every time I ran into the Chancellorsville in the Pacific or the Gulf, they were broken and on their way back to port for major unscheduled repairs. One time, they were literally just leaking fuel oil out of their hull.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I was gonna say, being a poo poo rear end CG they can keep the name, save Smalls for a good ship lol

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Too bad its the most broken CG in the fleet. Every time I ran into the Chancellorsville in the Pacific or the Gulf, they were broken and on their way back to port for major unscheduled repairs. One time, they were literally just leaking fuel oil out of their hull.

I believe I speak for every sailor on a CG when I say that my ship is in fact the most broken CG in the fleet.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Aren't all the ticos broken as gently caress? :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wibla posted:

Only one I ever saw up close was the Port Royal as a surge main component.
Just finished a cruise after being tied up for a couple years after running aground on a reef. Was running water tight door and scuttle tests. Lol you could fit a finger though more than half of them.
“It floats don’t worry”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wibla posted:

Yes. They have structural issues because of design flaws and the continued addition of massive weight in the superstructure throughout design and modifications over the years.

Crab Dad posted:

Only one I ever saw up close was the Port Royal as a surge main component.
Just finished a cruise after being tied up for a couple years after running aground on a reef. Was running water tight door and scuttle tests. Lol you could fit a finger though more than half of them.
“It floats don’t worry”

The Port Royal is the most hosed up cruiser. The others are hosed and have holes in their superstructure and cracks all over the place. Port Royal is hosed up in the same way that all CGs are PLUS it has a permanent list among excessive crookedness everywhere. Parking on Reef Runway was really not good for the ship.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wibla posted:

<ages visibly>

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes. They have structural issues because of design flaws and the continued addition of massive weight in the superstructure throughout design and modifications over the years.

The Port Royal is the most hosed up cruiser. The others are hosed and have holes in their superstructure and cracks all over the place. Port Royal is hosed up in the same way that all CGs are PLUS it has a permanent list among excessive crookedness everywhere. Parking on Reef Runway was really not good for the ship.

Reminds me of my first ship, the Guardian (MCM-5). It's the sweep that ran aground off the coast of PI a decade ago. That was the death knell and the thing had to be decomm'd and chopped up while still stuck on the reef. But before that whole fiasco, back when I was still onboard, we ran into a megatyphoon in the SCS after China flipped us the bird and prevented us from coming into Hong Kong harbor. Caught in 20-25ft seas for 5 days. The hull was so warped after getting tossed around like that, it never really sailed straight again.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

, it never really sailed straight again.

Who among us …

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We sailed with a Perry class, the USS McInerney, many moons ago that was so beat up, it would take on water above sea state 5.

That said, I was sailing on an Oslo-class frigate from the 1960s where the superstructure lifted from the deck in bad weather, so it's not like we could throw any stones. Or buckets.

One might say it was two cripples sailing across the North Sea together.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wibla posted:

We sailed with a Perry class, the USS McInerney, many moons ago that was so beat up, it would take on water above sea state 5.

That said, I was sailing on an Oslo-class frigate from the 1960s where the superstructure lifted from the deck in bad weather, so it's not like we could throw any stones. Or buckets.

One might say it was two cripples sailing across the North Sea together.

the piece of poo poo spearhead class i was on was equally bad except it was by design not because it was old and tired.

"The ship is unstable in rough seas and at high speeds. At 10 knots in calm sea states the hull can roll up to four degrees to each side, while conventional ships would roll very little; this increases if the ship goes faster or in rougher conditions, raising the possibility of seasickness.[10] To achieve its top speed the ship has to be traveling in waters not exceeding sea state 3 (waves up to 1.25 m (4.1 ft) high). At sea state 4 it can travel at up to 15 knots, at only 5 knots in sea state 5, and has to hold position in any higher sea state."

1) I got use to the torque of the ship pretty quickly and never got sea sick. however I saw an entire security detachment of marines and sailors get wrecked on their first couple nights on the ship in transit.
2) lol we would run and hide at sea state 3. Ship would just try to tear itself apart.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Most of my career was on lake boats so lol.

I did spend time on a cargo ship that was so loving rusty, a deckhand managed to drop a sounding rod through the main deck. Right before we sailed, too.

When I reported this to the captain as we departed he was a bit annoyed so he slammed the throttle astern a bit too roughly. The vibration intensified and we head a loud BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOING sound, as if someone had hit a giant oil drum with a sledge hammer.

I get my rear end up to the monkey island, turns out the MF/HF antenna had just… rusted through its mounting. And fallen to the deck like a dead tree.

Anyway I tied the antenna to the base of the mast and the chief engineer covered the hole in the deck with duct tape, and off we went.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

IncredibleIgloo posted:

With a crosspost from the coldwar thread in case anyone doubts the claim:

Cyrano4747 posted:

hahah holy poo poo. The USN is renaming a ship, which they don't really do too often.

The USS Chancellorsville CG-62, was named for the Civil War battle, which the Confederates won. Note that this is a loving cruiser, not some piddly LCS or something.

Like, no, really, they named it for that battle. Not the town. If you hit up the USN website with ship namesakes in the wayback machine, and dial it to 2013, you find this really lengthy description of a Confederate victory.. It's pretty shameless. By 2020 they had sanitized that and just memory holed what the ship was named after. Probably because it's a really loving bad look naming a USN ship after a land battle won by a bunch of traitors who had taken up arms against the US government.

Anyways, the ship is being renamed and now she'll be known as the Robert Smalls, named after this unbelievable badass. He was a slave conscripted into the Confederate Navy as the pilot of a costal transport.

One night the white officers went ashore to party, he somehow got permission to bring all the enslaved crews' families around to visit, at which point he promptly raised anchor and sailed that poo poo out to the waiting US Navy, where he turned it over. He basically captured a ship for the US Navy, freed his families, and got three CS Navy officers court martialed in one stroke. Oh and this poo poo hit the papers, which prompted congress to pass a bill specifically to give him and his crew the prize money for the ship. He served the rest of the war with the USN.

loving perfect renaming. Well done USN.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Gruntyginman/status/1630633738580180999?t=zjr-L4HfR7VNsWrB9EsSRA&s=19

It literally costs nothing to be a good :chiefsay: and look out for your people. I never understood fellow Chiefs that were like this.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Well it was tough for me therefore it should be tough for anyone because god forbid giving your people more than you were given when you were coming up.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
That Sailor's kids did not come in their seabag!

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 1, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Thay Sailor's kids did not come in their seabag!

No, but some sailor most likely did.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

No, but some sailor most likely did.

:cumpolice:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

“Unless an elephant sneezed…”

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/Gruntyginman/status/1630633738580180999?t=zjr-L4HfR7VNsWrB9EsSRA&s=19

It literally costs nothing to be a good :chiefsay: and look out for your people. I never understood fellow Chiefs that were like this.

Same. About 70%, in my experience, of the cpos were like that. 90 of the scpos and 99.99 of the mcpos.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

[Ask Me] about the seaman who cut a hole for a pocket pussy into his rack... (please dont)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I am so confused what first of all you have rack mates and I mean to get any real momentum going you're going to be alerting your whole berthing that you're loving your rack mount pocket pussy

Just crank it in the shower you loving animals

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

I am so confused what first of all you have rack mates and I mean to get any real momentum going you're going to be alerting your whole berthing that you're loving your rack mount pocket pussy

Just crank it in the shower you loving animals

Also order of operations is important.
Crank it.
Shower it.
Let the jelly fish go down the drain.

Never understood the guys who finish off after the shower and left the sea baby behind.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Thank God for a contract with a shower, shitter, and no roommates.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I sailed with a guy who'd been chief on an OSV where the two opposite watch qmeds shared a room and one of them was always complaining to the chief that it "smelled like skeet in here, he's skeeting all over" and the chief had to talk to the other guy about not skeeting in paper towels and leaving them in the trash. And that's why

lightpole posted:

Thank God for a contract with a shower, shitter, and no roommates.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

At least gunners mates don't work with anything that might be hazardous if handled while severely sleep deprived

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
One of my buddies works on a government ship and he's been encouraging me to get my MMC and apply for the junior version of his job. I even met some of the other crew and officers and they were all like oh yeah dude get a job out here with us.

I'd like to thank all the merchant seamen in this thread the past few pages for encouraging me to go buy a bag of weed tonight instead lol

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nick Soapdish posted:

Good on that sailor for standing up for themselves but holy gently caress I can’t believe he wrote all of that out. I know the marines are different but that’d lose you rank in an NJP regardless of how loving stupid your SNCO is.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Hekk posted:

Good on that sailor for standing up for themselves but holy gently caress I can’t believe he wrote all of that out. I know the marines are different but that’d lose you rank in an NJP regardless of how loving stupid your SNCO is.

Probably would in the Navy, too! When I was in, basically any kind of response could be "disrespectful" if your chief was a whiner about it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He probably should have just said “ kid is sick can’t come in” and been done with it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Never ask permission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Thinking now about getting shipmated by some random chief for my haircut, and when I said "aye-aye, chief" to him his face went beet red, convinced I was cracking wise with him. He wanted to know why I would say that instead of just, "yes". Because they taught me to say that in boot camp?
So he made me stand there at attention on the street in front of the NEX while he tried to call my chief. Never got through for whatever reason, had to just radiate chiefly malice at me while I bowed and scraped my way out of there

Lol get divorced again bitch

^^^^ that last line goes for every chief even air force e9s reading this gently caress you too smdftb