Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Starsector is incredible, and what is most incredible is how much the Conquest sucks

:evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

day 4- sinus infection still sucks rear end, czech doctor gave me vitamin c and said lol, it's just a virus you ain't getting poo poo.

please share with me your gross rear end country life style remedies for sinus congestion, like rubbing a poultice made of mugwort and meth on my face.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

purchase fish antibiotics on amazon, like an american

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
inhale hot water vapor. not too hot though.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

i made a big rear end pot of chicken soup yesterday so heating that up and huffing up the delicious chicken vapors as we speak. also trying to keep my drat cat from doing the same.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you shouldn't keep your cat from making a big pot of chicken soup

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

havev you seen where she puts dem paws? terrible manners.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

day 4- sinus infection still sucks rear end, czech doctor gave me vitamin c and said lol, it's just a virus you ain't getting poo poo.

please share with me your gross rear end country life style remedies for sinus congestion, like rubbing a poultice made of mugwort and meth on my face.

angle your head at the exact fifth of a degree that will result in slightly more air coming through and don't ever move from that position so help you god

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cuttlefush posted:

This. Getting over one myself, and long hot showers were vital.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

there's a phone game about this in the netflix app

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is this a correct sentence?

quote:

This author claims that that 'that' that that copy-editor removed was necessary and should have remained.

edited: well, it wasn't at first but now is it?

edit 2: mostly I'm wondering if I can get away with using 'that' five times in a row without a comma or something.

edit 3: I know there's an ask/tell forum/thread for this kind of thing but I'm just casually tossing it out there for the sake of conversation.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

credburn posted:

Is this a correct sentence?

edited: well, it wasn't at first but now is it?

edit 2: mostly I'm wondering if I can get away with using 'that' five times in a row without a comma or something.

edit 3: I know there's an ask/tell forum/thread for this kind of thing but I'm just casually tossing it out there for the sake of conversation.

it's correct, sure, in that it makes grammatical sense. is it prescriptively correct or correct by rules of style? nah.

quote:

This author claims that the 'that', which a particular copy-editor removed, was necessary and should have remained.

is probably a better wording of it. but english is weird like that.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i made a big rear end pot of chicken soup yesterday so heating that up and huffing up the delicious chicken vapors as we speak. also trying to keep my drat cat from doing the same.

What about something both hot temperature-wise and hot spice-wise? Most weekends in the winter, I tend to wake up with a sinus headache if I don't wake up within a very precise window and even something mildly spicy but very hot helps uncork my sinuses.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

What about something both hot temperature-wise and hot spice-wise? Most weekends in the winter, I tend to wake up with a sinus headache if I don't wake up within a very precise window and even something mildly spicy but very hot helps uncork my sinuses.

sadly, in Bohemia. A desert country near the sea, real spice is hard to find, and my wife is gonna slap my knuckles if i use up the last bit of sichuan spicy pepper oil so she can't have any after work. maybe the vietnamese corner store has some sriracha tho?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

NoiseAnnoys posted:

sadly, in Bohemia. A desert country near the sea, real spice is hard to find, and my wife is gonna slap my knuckles if i use up the last bit of sichuan spicy pepper oil so she can't have any after work. maybe the vietnamese corner store has some sriracha tho?

Yeah, it doesn't have to be like super death spicy. Anything you can get that's like maybe even just vaguely spicier than say Frank's Red Hot might work, as long as it's nice and steamy too for you to hover over.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, it doesn't have to be like super death spicy. Anything you can get that's like maybe even just vaguely spicier than say Frank's Red Hot might work, as long as it's nice and steamy too for you to hover over.

oh, gently caress, i found an old bottle of el yucateco, habenero verde. hot sauce doesn't go bad, right?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I started playing Cinders after finishing Elden Ring. They've added a bunch of stuff since I played it a couple of years ago and you can start as a crab man or a door man or a jester with the key to the embedded if you want.

So far it's good. I'm trying to figure out luck scaling and so far it's "if you use flynn's bow and pump luck you're good to go"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Before I get probated for another 24 hours for some real bullshit I need to ask an Elden Ring question.

What would be the easiest class to start with? I've got two games going (one on the pc and one on the xbox) and I've got a shield dude and a two sword lady. The shield dude seems ok but he doesn't dodge worth a poo poo because of the heavy armor. The two sword lady is also go but no blocking lol.

So what would be the easiest class for someone who is terrible at the game to start with?

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica

MarcusSA posted:

Before I get probated for another 24 hours for some real bullshit I need to ask an Elden Ring question.

What would be the easiest class to start with? I've got two games going (one on the pc and one on the xbox) and I've got a shield dude and a two sword lady. The shield dude seems ok but he doesn't dodge worth a poo poo because of the heavy armor. The two sword lady is also go but no blocking lol.

So what would be the easiest class for someone who is terrible at the game to start with?

The samurai guy is the easiest class, dex is super powerful in elden ring. True gamers pick deprived but elden ring has a place for everyone.

Souls series games are generally easier to learn if you don't wear heavy armor and try to master dodging (and parrying if you're into it).

CyprianLatewood has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Feb 28, 2023

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I would say Warrior or Samurai if you want to do melee. I'm less familiar with the caster classes, but Warrior and Samurai give you decent stat spreads to let you build into almost anything melee-wise

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I'm a dumbshit who bounced of Dark Souls because I got this impression you were supposed to square up to every enemy and play a perfect parry game with all of them because I didn't quite understand the dodgeroll mechanic and got pissed off when I'd get heat-seeking leap attacks so I was like gently caress this poo poo but ER gave me a chance to figure it out a little better so I should probably go back

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Great thanks! I'll probably give Samurai a try then. I'm only a few hours in so no big loss starting over.

TheSwizzler posted:

I'm a dumbshit who bounced of Dark Souls because I got this impression you were supposed to square up to every enemy and play a perfect parry game with all of them because I didn't quite understand the dodgeroll mechanic and got pissed off when I'd get heat-seeking leap attacks so I was like gently caress this poo poo but ER gave me a chance to figure it out a little better so I should probably go back

Yeah I was noticing this today when I was fighting that first boss in the ruins. Like I know for sure I hit the dodge button but that fucker still hit me then hit me two more times and I died. I tried to kill him like 5 times and finally gave up.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It's absurd how much easier things get when you get good at dodging. If you use quickstep in DS3 (or Hunter's Dash in Cinders) you can lock on to an enemy and just dash directly into it and be fine a lot of the time.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

MarcusSA posted:

Great thanks! I'll probably give Samurai a try then. I'm only a few hours in so no big loss starting over.

Yeah I was noticing this today when I was fighting that first boss in the ruins. Like I know for sure I hit the dodge button but that fucker still hit me then hit me two more times and I died. I tried to kill him like 5 times and finally gave up.

I think the main thing I noticed is that if you're dodgerolling INTO the attack you'll get the iframes, if you panic dodge away you'll get hit on the tail end or someone'll change direction in midair to hit you (less pronounced in ER than it was in DS1)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Single player: Yakuza 4

Multiplayer mostly by myself: BF2042 (new season starts tomorrow!!)

Multiplayer with my usual game crews: Gloomhaven and Evil Dead

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

MarcusSA posted:

Shield and guard counters (not parries, though parries are fine too) are also very strong in Elden Ring. IMO it's actually a lot less dodge friendly than DS1-3. You'll get a lot of mileage out of playing footsies with enemies and only dodging if it looks like the hit is unavoidable with spacing. Also sprinting in fights, jumping attacks, etc are a good way to bait enemies into vulnerable positions.

Dodging is *usually* a thing you should get forced into doing. There are compilations of people killing (I think) every boss without dodging or blocking at all just by utilizing spacing, timing, etc.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

NoiseAnnoys posted:

whenever i got congested when i was little, my parents would rub white flower oil on me. now as a 30+ year old woman whenever i get congested, i rub it on me.

it is intensely pepperminty but it'll definitely clear your sinuses and everyone else's around you.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Splash Attack posted:

whenever i got congested when i was little, my parents would rub white flower oil on me. now as a 30+ year old woman whenever i get congested, i rub it on me.

it is intensely pepperminty but it'll definitely clear your sinuses and everyone else's around you.

That'll give you a nice spicy rear end in a top hat too if it spills. Turns out analgesic did not mean what I thought.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

iwentdoodie posted:

That'll give you a nice spicy rear end in a top hat too if it spills. Turns out analgesic did not mean what I thought.

:staredog:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

oh. hello thread :)
im kind of upset that the sagas thread is gone, but only because im allergic to drama and never have any idea what poo poo Is Going Down, and that was always the easiest place to find out rather than scouring half a dozen threads across several subforums like hanzel and gretel mapping a forest via breadcrumbs, just to find out what happened

incidentally i have absolutely no idea why the sagas thread destroyed. so if someone can like. obviously not quote this post (pls no stirring poo poo) but. idk. dm me with a summary or a link or something so i can be kept up to date? thankies

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Peppermint oil, the edible kind you buy for making candy, is my go-to. A very, very little will go a long way; I recommend measuring it in fingertips. Just a little in the shower will open your sinuses right up. If you're feeling adventurous, put a little on your tongue

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

alexandriao posted:

oh. hello thread :)
im kind of upset that the sagas thread is gone, but only because im allergic to drama and never have any idea what poo poo Is Going Down, and that was always the easiest place to find out rather than scouring half a dozen threads across several subforums like hanzel and gretel mapping a forest via breadcrumbs, just to find out what happened

incidentally i have absolutely no idea why the sagas thread destroyed. so if someone can like. obviously not quote this post (pls no stirring poo poo) but. idk. dm me with a summary or a link or something so i can be kept up to date? thankies

You can read more here,

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4025160

The TLDR a lot of mods / admins hated the thread and don't want to deal with it.

The thread is locked now but it will probably open back up later.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fingerprint Shield gang, arise!!!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MarcusSA posted:

shield guy is fine, probably even the easiest class since he starts with a shield although you can get some better ones real early if you know where to look

but the armor is a trap. fat rolling is never worth it, just get naked or unequip one of your two weapons

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I bought some stupid brass shield early in the game and used it forever. Once I got the Bloodhound Greatsword, I used that forever also. Even discounting the busted weapon art, it did good damage with relatively quick attacks for a large weapon and didn't consume too much stamina

I kept a hammer-type weapon of some flavor for those little loving imps in the catacombs though

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm back, I, aaaaa

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I hope you enjoyed your vacation despite the forum doing its damnedest to try and distract you

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

ahhah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I would like a Little Caesar's pizza