Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I am looking for native Quest 2 co-op games to play with my wife. We already have Walkabout, Cook-off, Demeo, and A Township Tale. I am tempted by Arizona Sunshine but it's kind of
pricey for how old it is. Any recommendations?

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I am looking for native Quest 2 co-op games to play with my wife. We already have Walkabout, Cook-off, Demeo, and A Township Tale. I am tempted by Arizona Sunshine but it's kind of
pricey for how old it is. Any recommendations?

You have the L4D clone, After the Fall. I know they have been making new free maps during the past year, so now it shouldn't be bad buy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Arizona Sunshine is okay, but you can definitely feel how dated it is.

I wish anyone making VR shooters would just copy H3VR's controls. If one single developer can pull it off, why is it so hard for others to make shooter controls that don't suck?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

Arizona Sunshine is okay, but you can definitely feel how dated it is.

I wish anyone making VR shooters would just copy H3VR's controls. If one single developer can pull it off, why is it so hard for others to make shooter controls that don't suck?

What is "H3VR controls"? Because it has so many control schemes at this point that is hard to know what you refer to.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I actually finally bought and started H3VR, fired it up, saw the literal walls of text to memorize & thought "wow, I don't have time for this TONIGHT..."

...and that's still where things stand :shrug:. I know I'm missing out but I've just never felt like diving into that with my limited VR time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And the default controls were pretty not intuitive, so his request of 'other shooters should copy it!' are eyebrow-rising as minimum.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I appreciate H3VR but never booted it up for more than 20 minutes a handful of times. I think it's the game that made me realize how awful dealing with menus in VR is

Has any shooter felt as good as Robo Recall did five years ago? I know it's not realistic but tossing your guns for magical new guns just felt right

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 27, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It really doesn't help that the gigantic board of things to do in H3VR is bad at pointing people towards some of the better aspects of the game. I didn't even realize that "Take and Hold" was a thing worth doing until I saw people here talking about it. Turns out the most fun game to play in H3VR is mixed in with all the other random crap like grenade skeeball. I think he's since made it bigger on the board but even still it's not a good onboarding experience.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
It's a real shame that take and hold hasn't received substantial development in more than a year. At a certain point, making obscure gun #382 marginally more realistic has diminishing returns.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 28, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ralith posted:

It's a real shame that take and hold hasn't received substantial development in more than a year. At a certain point, making obscure gun #382 marginally more attention has diminishing returns.

Yeah absolutely. I've said it before but the weapons in that game feel like such a good framework for a real game but all that ever happens is the sandbox stuff gets expanded more and more. Take and Hold is fun but you can only shoot so many different looking sausages with guns in procedurally generated grey corridors so many times before it gets old. I would love to transplant even a fraction of the weapons from H3VR into a good looking action game.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I do like H3VR but looking at the latest news:

Whoopee, more of the same

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

No new M4s and M16s are different. Duh.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If I made a VR shooting game, here's what the player would see the instant the game has loaded up:

You are standing in front of a table. On the table is a pistol, and in front of that, a target a short distance away.
From there, the player can engage outward with the rest of the game content entirely at their own pace (or not).

This is sort of what I saw in Boneworks to a small degree, but I think the straightforward simplicity of a VR shooting game starting by plopping you down at a table with a gun and a target -- as if one was handing a child a book of matches in a consequence-free environment -- has a directness and embrace of the medium that I just don't normally see in VR stuff.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I think the in game editor stuff is going to open up a lot of new content, but we will see.

Rotweiners is a great experience, but it just dumps you in an open world with some light guidance. Take and hold drops you into Goldeneye 64 King of the Hill on Facility. The other Take and Hold map isn't that fun to me.

It's really just a good base system in search of a game.

Edit: Oh and armswinger rules and y'all can suck it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Armswinger did own, physically "running" to actually run away from sosigs was kind of fun and hilarious

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

The Eyes Have It posted:

If I made a VR shooting game, here's what the player would see the instant the game has loaded up:

You are standing in front of a table. On the table is a pistol, and in front of that, a target a short distance away.
From there, the player can engage outward with the rest of the game content entirely at their own pace (or not).

This is pretty much SuperHot.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Macichne Leainig posted:

Armswinger did own, physically "running" to actually run away from sosigs was kind of fun and hilarious

Done well armswing rocks.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bobcats posted:

This is pretty much SuperHot.

I know some folks didn't gel with Superhot, but I think it was a fantastic VR game. To the point I find it crazy it wasn't VR native.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I know some folks didn't gel with Superhot, but I think it was a fantastic VR game. To the point I find it crazy it wasn't VR native.

Despite having the same name the flat and VR versions are totally different, straight from the developer FAQ:
To play in VR, please take a look at SUPERHOT VR, which is a different game with different levels, plot, mechanics and some new weapons; a game that was created for VR.

They did a really great job adapting their concept to VR instead of just dropping VR inputs into an existing game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Macichne Leainig posted:

If you'd watch the actual semi-weekly dev videos you'd know Anton's been developing a bunch of tools to enable future custom content creation and maps by the community at the moment. The AR platform stuff is just a side thing to replace some ooooold models with versions that are scaled properly.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TIP posted:

They did a really great job adapting their concept to VR instead of just dropping VR inputs into an existing game.

still one of the best VR games to date. Aged really well, plays really well, and once you figure out throwing, its actually pretty solid all around

Plus the insane poo poo you can do between levels? Omg, throwing guns to the next scene is so fun.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you'd watch the actual semi-weekly dev videos you'd know Anton's been developing a bunch of tools to enable future custom content creation and maps by the community at the moment. The AR platform stuff is just a side thing to replace some ooooold models with versions that are scaled properly.

It came out in 2016.

It's come a long way since then, sure, but it's a bit late to be focusing on "future custom content creation" and community created maps imho

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am definitely interested to see what people can do with the custom content tools but I'm not really expecting anything beyond coming up with different ways to shoot sausages.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I also get why Anton doesn't get away from the sausage dudes, but with games like Pavlov having a lot of guns too it's starting to lose a lot of its luster IMO. I don't mean to say anything bad about the game, it's still one of my most played VR games, I just wish they did more with the "game" part of it I guess.

I dunno, it's a dumb rant now that I think about it, don't worry about me

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

The Eyes Have It posted:

Superhot existed long before VR did

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Listen to yourself. I’m not watching two videos a week of a dev diary for any game. You are more keyed in than 99.5% of vr users, very few people are going to do the things you do

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

A whole 4 months, if we're going by Vive's release date.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

SCheeseman posted:

A whole 4 months, if we're going by Vive's release date.

It started as a game jam 2-3 years before the official release

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Macichne Leainig posted:

I also get why Anton doesn't get away from the sausage dudes, but with games like Pavlov having a lot of guns too it's starting to lose a lot of its luster IMO. I don't mean to say anything bad about the game, it's still one of my most played VR games, I just wish they did more with the "game" part of it I guess.

I dunno, it's a dumb rant now that I think about it, don't worry about me

Yeah he's basically decreed he will never introduce humanoid enemies or hands for your controllers. Lack of hands is the part that annoys me.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Wheezle posted:

Yeah he's basically decreed he will never introduce humanoid enemies or hands for your controllers. Lack of hands is the part that annoys me.

What do you mean? You can absolutely turn on meat hands

Do not turn on meat hands

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

It started as a game jam 2-3 years before the official release

Oh right! DK1 was 2012 and Vive dev kits were around 2014 so they all still existed in the same time frame in primordial forms. Makes me wonder whether they had the idea for a VR version before or after release of the Vive.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

TIP posted:

Despite having the same name the flat and VR versions are totally different, straight from the developer FAQ:
To play in VR, please take a look at SUPERHOT VR, which is a different game with different levels, plot, mechanics and some new weapons; a game that was created for VR.

How about that! I didn't know it had its own plot and different levels, etc.

dupersaurus posted:

Don't know if it came across, but I'm saying Superhot's basic mechanic works SO WELL in VR it's wild to think it wasn't actually born there.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Don't know if it came across, but I'm saying Superhot's basic mechanic works SO WELL in VR it's wild to think it wasn't actually born there.

I was aware of the difference, but as someone who has only played it in VR it's hard to imagine how else would you be able to play it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I only just now realized I have a 2D copy of superhot. Gonna go install that rightnow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Macichne Leainig posted:

It came out in 2016.

It's come a long way since then, sure, but it's a bit late to be focusing on "future custom content creation" and community created maps imho

You're asking a bit much for a game largely developed by one person who's been learning as they went along.

Enderzero posted:

Listen to yourself. I’m not watching two videos a week of a dev diary for any game. You are more keyed in than 99.5% of vr users, very few people are going to do the things you do

The videos are right in those Steam updates.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 28, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Superhot VR as it is now also changed sliiiightly since its release.

Iirc there were two of those "not in the murdering but still in the VR world" interludes that *really* sold the Vr stuff.

One where you CW
we're instructed to take a step off of a plank on a high rise and fell in VR

And one where you took a gun and CW
mixed blowing your brains out in VR

The devs decided to tone that down

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I do watch some of his dev videos from time to time. That's how I know what you comment, he is creating a custom mode with their own tools, etc. However that only shows the type of dev he is, he just does whatever he feels fancy that month, now what the game need.
What about making a proper interactive tutorial instead of having to watch long youtube videos (that may or may not be outdated) to learn how to play, or having to search a specific search video for the mechanics of a specific weapon (because you can't expect players to know by memory how to operate hundreds of weapons).

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Eyes Have It posted:

How about that! I didn't know it had its own plot and different levels, etc.

I kind of wish they had included the actual plot from the PC version in the VR game, though. I looked it up later, and that would have been an interesting experience.

Superhot is the most innovative shooter I've played in years!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

I do watch some of his dev videos from time to time. That's how I know what you comment, he is creating a custom mode with their own tools, etc. However that only shows the type of dev he is, he just does whatever he feels fancy that month, now what the game need.
What about making a proper interactive tutorial instead of having to watch long youtube videos (that may or may not be outdated) to learn how to play, or having to search a specific search video for the mechanics of a specific weapon (because you can't expect players to know by memory how to operate hundreds of weapons).

Have you not played the Sampler map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you not played the Sampler map?

Woefully inadequate, imo.

---
Valve still going at it
https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1630347308410732544