Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
there are no pictures on the internet of joe biden being portrayed as old and/or senile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

SideEffectShit posted:

there are no pictures on the internet of joe biden being portrayed as old and/or senile

Yeah thats what news clips of his speeches are for

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SideEffectShit posted:

the dude has 200 billion dollars worth of modern American military equipment and has yet to produce any results

dudes made some other dudes $200 billion

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
even in this economy that’s real money

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
he’s also made mint for the us lng industry

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

6 officers were fired from a north dakota nuclear base for undisclosed reasons

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

was it the balloon

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i bet it was really stupid like tried to uber eats some taco bell to a restricted area and gave the delivery dude clearance because they were too lazy to meet him at the security gate or something

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they were loving the missile but not how they were taught to

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Real hurthling! posted:

Missiles, silos, dicks, asses, it’s all very confusing. Can’t really blame’em IMO

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

he’s also made mint for the us lng industry

dudes made some other dudes $200 billion

even in this economy that’s real money

cha ching

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Real hurthling! posted:

US ICBM bases are notorious for lack of discipline and substance abuse amongst the enlisted

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Filthy Hans posted:

US ICBM bases are notorious for lack of discipline and substance abuse amongst the enlisted

i call bullshit on this. no way the officers aren't just as bad

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Real hurthling! posted:

a short-lived performance by the minutemen

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

they're bad in a different, much lamer way than drug abuse and loving off

the air force in general and especially strategic air command is absolutely infested with hardline apocalyptic evangelical officers

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/SpiritofLenin/status/1629953832330444800?t=N7f28Ub_mpO8kV94Y0OGGQ&s=19

check out the quote tweets on this

Griz
May 21, 2001

Cerebral Bore posted:

there was that one base where half the officers were cheating on their missile qualification tests

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/01/30/af-cheating-scandal-grows-to-92-missile-officers.html

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Griz posted:

there was that one base where half the officers were cheating on their missile qualification tests

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/01/30/af-cheating-scandal-grows-to-92-missile-officers.html

good

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

thanks for the heads up on that, really great

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

thanks for the heads up on that, really great

https://twitter.com/LivFaustDieJung/status/1630665892626415621?t=LKDdYxLXKxxo2imxPHvhwQ&s=19

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/LivFaustDieJung/status/1630666657432477702?s=20

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

whore and war are famed homophones

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hwhars, he's a 19yh century aristocrat

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Whorecrimes

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
just driving down the highway screaming tweet replies into my dashboard

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

just driving down the highway screaming tweet replies into my dashboard

apropos of nothing but your username is super good

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

apropos of nothing but your username is super good

took me along time you realize you were actually using the phrase and it wasn't something about the poster

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

If China Wounds A U.S. Carrier, The Navy Is Ill-Equipped To Come To The Rescue

Of course it assumes the carrier will survive

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s been said before but I don’t see the US population not becoming unhinged at just the KIA/WIA/MIA from a lost carrier.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s been said before but I don’t see the US population not becoming unhinged at just the KIA/WIA/MIA from a lost carrier.

I think this is probably true but I have a potential counter argument:

9/11 hit hard because everyone takes flights, most Americans know someone who works in an office, and 100% of people who matter in the power structure work in a high rise

no one who matters knows anyone who has ever served on a carrier

I was thinking just this morning about how even after 20 straight years of war, there is no awareness in media or marketing of how the us army uniform collar is supposed to be worn. I think American society might have finally achieved the dream of military members so removed from society that they’re disposable.

all that said I think the prestige impact of a carrier sinking, regardless of casualties, would make the elite insane. in the inscrutable west, maintaining “face” is paramount

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

The trauma of leaving a foundering ship’s crew to their own devices—in a larger-scale repeat of the horrible World War II USS Indianapolis (CA-35) disaster—or, worse, watching helplessly as thousands of U.S. sailors are “rescued” by an opposing force, would be tough for the American public to bear. The political consequences would be immediate and massive.

If I were a sailor I probably wouldn't like to hear that the government and public consider being captured by the enemy to be more embarrassing than being left to be eaten by sharks

Remember how the USA constantly cited the Japanese refusal to be captured as proof they were subhuman barbarians

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Best Friends posted:

I think you’ll find that all red blooded Americans know Maverick and Iceman.

which is (not) a joke response to this. I’m pretty sure FF is right and we would lose our collective poo poo in an recently unprecedented way. the loss of a carrier would be a near Pearl Harbor type shock to most Americans.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I hate those mandarin collars and I hate that we've copied them. Up under plates down in garrison, right?

I just wonder if a US carrier being sunk, even during a declared war, will be compared to Pearl Harbour and considered "out of bounds" or an "escalation" somehow. It does make you wonder what might have happened if the Iraqis ever used their Exocets.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think you’ll find that all red blooded Americans know Maverick and Iceman.

which is (not) a joke response to this. I’m pretty sure FF is right and we would lose our collective poo poo in an recently unprecedented way. the loss of a carrier would be a near Pearl Harbor type shock to most Americans.

lol I hadn't seen you already brought up Pearl Harbour. Yeah, that would be my thinking.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

lol I hadn't seen you already brought up Pearl Harbour. Yeah, that would be my thinking.

the collective story that Americans participate in is hugely shaped by pearl harbor. honestly not thinking we’d lose our poo poo almost deserves just: Have you ever actually met any Americans? as a response.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Best Friends posted:

I think this is probably true but I have a potential counter argument:

9/11 hit hard because everyone takes flights, most Americans know someone who works in an office, and 100% of people who matter in the power structure work in a high rise

I was thinking just this morning about how even after 20 straight years of war, there is no awareness in media or marketing of how the us army uniform collar is supposed to be worn. I think American society might have finally achieved the dream of military members so removed from society that they’re disposable.

all that said I think the prestige impact of a carrier sinking, regardless of casualties, would make the elite insane. in the inscrutable west, maintaining “face” is paramount

They'll be emotionally impacted because the TV will tell them that they're supposed to be shocked and mournful and enraged.

They tried in Jan 2020 when Trohsp killed Soleimani and CNN and the rest were appalled by the Iranian shooting missiles at a American military target directly across their own border, as if they should have been pleased with the US assassinating one of its officials and sending OUR TROOPS milk and cookies for a job well done. The nerve of retaliating against an act of war

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the collective story that Americans participate in is hugely shaped by pearl harbor. honestly not thinking we’d lose our poo poo almost deserves just: Have you ever actually met any Americans? as a response.
an aircraft carrier sinking would get me thinking about becoming a hermit, because this country would lose its loving mind

9/11 resulted in america lashing out at just everyone because the perpetrators had no national flag. a country sinking a carrier would be the end, because that child-like thrashing would have a focus

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

what are they going to do about it, drive their f350 lariats across the pacific?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

what are they going to do about it, drive their f350 lariats across the pacific?

no they're going to strap Chinese Americans to their F350's trailer hitch and drag them down the interstate

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Filthy Hans posted:

no they're going to strap Chinese Americans to their F350's trailer hitch and drag them down the interstate

too real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

an aircraft carrier sinking would get me thinking about becoming a hermit, because this country would lose its loving mind

9/11 resulted in america lashing out at just everyone because the perpetrators had no national flag. a country sinking a carrier would be the end, because that child-like thrashing would have a focus

I think this came up in some lecture I attended on the Victorian Royal Navy and cruisers, which were like 15% of the entire state expenditure: the point of warships is to risk and lose them, it's why countries take on the enormous cost of having them accomplish absolutely nothing in peacetime. The Royal Navy paid for all of these ships to bob at anchor in the middle of nowhere, cruise around the world's oceans, to be replaced every 10 years as they wore out and became obsolete. They even set up an incomprehensibly expensive network of coaling and telegraph stations around the world.

For example:

HMS Monmouth, which cost £94 270 000 in today's money

and HMS Good Hope, which cost £95 345 000

They spent the decade before the Great War on distant stations, just hanging out, inspecting dhows and junks, essentially.

That's hardly worth £200M is it? No. The cost would be justified in wartime, that's the only way for it to make sense.

Well, when the war started, they did their job. They went into action against a German fleet, and were consequently sunk in about 2 hours. Which isn't to belittle them or the men who died with them, this is what ships are for, really. They intercepted German ships that threatened lines of communication, which is why they were way out there anyway, why there were distant coaling stations and everything else. They fought a sharp battle, which is what the tens of thousands of pounds spend on naval guns and ammunition was supposed to be for, took some hits, which justified the tens of thousands spent on steel armour. It's just, this is how war works, and the cost you have to pay. You lose ships, you lose men.

But it caused these sort of insane reaction among the British press and public. They were practically howling for blood. So that, the next time the Royal Navy ran into that German squadron, it seems like they didn't allow the disabled German ships to surrender. That became institutionalized as the belief that it was impossible to capture modern steel warships, or for them to strike their colours and surrender. The same thing happened a generation later. After Bismarck sunk HMS Hood, the pride of the Royal Navy, the public again went through this sort of convulsion, and when Bismarck was encountered in a second engagement it was pounded far beyond the point where it could retaliate, for hours. It was obliterated at close range, and the crew had no opportunity to surrender, relatively few prisoners were picked up.

It seems to me that the reaction to losing an aircraft carrier would have a similar effect. I can't point to why exactly, which of these elements combine to create that result, I just feel like the reaction would be something similar.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Mar 2, 2023