Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
That's a bummer but I guess at least they clarified now instead of letting people get psyched up for months and then delivering another little community update. Fixes will be good though, hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hempuli posted:

A large update the size of a small update
New thread title?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ariong posted:

LMAO they changed the blog post to make the update sound less exciting.

My assumption is that they changed it for legalese self protection reasons rather than that really indicating a change in scope, I'm still pretty certain this will be on a larger scale than most Scream Fortress or Smissmas updates

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm going to sue robin walker because the update sucks

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I was promised an update-sized update, with "who knows what else?!". This update is substantially smaller than an update, and multiple Valve employees knew exactly what else. This flagrantly fraudulent advertising cannot stand.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Valve is terrified of liability for underdelivering on promises.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Ditocoaf posted:

Valve is terrified of delivering

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

drrockso20 posted:

My assumption is that they changed it for legalese self protection reasons rather than that really indicating a change in scope, I'm still pretty certain this will be on a larger scale than most Scream Fortress or Smissmas updates

There is absolutely no reality in which Valve gets sued because they made a blog post promising an “update-sized update.” In fact, “holiday-sized update” is actually a more concrete claim about the size of the update because it implies it will be on par with previous holiday updates. Similarly, “community fixes” is a more concrete claim than “who knows what else?”

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ariong posted:

There is absolutely no reality in which Valve gets sued because they made a blog post promising an “update-sized update.” In fact, “holiday-sized update” is actually a more concrete claim about the size of the update because it implies it will be on par with previous holiday updates. Similarly, “community fixes” is a more concrete claim than “who knows what else?”

Not saying anyone would actually sue just that corporate lawyers sometimes can be excessive in their precautions

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I hope people read the sarcasm in my words a few posts up, but I'm making this other post just to be sure. Here, let me try this rephrase:

Valve is going out of their way to avoid setting an expectation they won't meet, as they're famous for meeting expectations and are afraid they might be sued if they break that pattern.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they're not afraid they might be sued, they're just afraid of people complaining and giving them bad press

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
maybe if you try the joke a third time it might land, but knowing valve

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

obviously this means team fortress 3 is being worked on............... obviously it means that......................

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Sankara posted:

obviously this means team fortress 3 is being worked on............... obviously it means that......................

Team Fortress: Forever

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTcojsVTG0

i missed some of these. what do you guys think of When cloaked spy can jump a little bit higher

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The only one of those I dislike is the amputator change. I think the fun of the amputator is how it's risky due to locking you in place, but can potentially provide a ton of healing. If you can just cancel it whenever it's no longer a fun gamble anymore.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't think I've ever seen the amputator taunt do more healing than just swapping the beam around to whoever's getting crit heals. Maybe if you play on 32 player servers?

The engineer changes seem really dumb, I hate every single one of them except the southern hospitality dispenser variant.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Amputator actually heals at roughly the same rate as medigun, including the ramp up on targets that haven't recently been hurt. Except it can heal multiple.

medigun heal rates are:
  • 24 per second base
  • 72 per second out of combat

amputator taunt heals 105 total, or 315 out of combat, over the 4.4 second taunt. which means the heals per second are...
  • 23.86 per second base
  • 71.59 per second out of combat
That's versus a single target, so multiply that by however many teammates are near you.
It doesn't overheal, but if you have 2+ injured teammates nearby you can get them back up to full much faster with this than with normal medigun heals. (Also it does build uber.) It's kind of insane how much value you can get from it under the right circumstances, you can take a group of injured teammates hanging out around a corner, unable to push, all the way up to full simultaneously. Genuinely quite underrated since everyone wants to run around with ubersaws all the time.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 27, 2023

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Jabor posted:

I don't think I've ever seen the amputator taunt do more healing than just swapping the beam around to whoever's getting crit heals. Maybe if you play on 32 player servers?

The engineer changes seem really dumb, I hate every single one of them except the southern hospitality dispenser variant.

i really like the speed pads because it means on 5cp maps where the spawns change constantly the engie doesnt become so severely hosed and can still help his teammates

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't think it helps as much as you'd think - if they're running back to the new spawn to place a speed pad, they could equally run back to place a teleporter. (Either way, they won't).

In practice I think it would mostly mean nobody places teleporters because they'd much rather use a jump pad to place a sentry in a funny meme spot (even though they don't know how to wrangler jump to get into that spot the traditional way).

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i imagine people who play regularly on a niche balance mod server would be aware of sentry jumping, but i guess that makes some sense with the teleports, except that you wouldnt need to place both ends for you to do something meaningful for your team getting to the frontline quicker. idk, the few times i tried playing on these servers i had over 200 ping and got autokicked, even from the short lived brazillian server

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

I don't think it helps as much as you'd think - if they're running back to the new spawn to place a speed pad, they could equally run back to place a teleporter. (Either way, they won't).

I'd think the upshot would be that you can just get the speed pad up and then you're in business without the additional step of trotting back and building a tele exit and trying to keep it up.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I can see the speed pad being better for those maps where defenders have bit of a walk to the point but its generally too short for a teleport like dustbowl

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 27, 2023

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I like some of the stuff like spies getting some fun tricks but thought the bushwacka nerf was kind of funny - there can't possibly be enough snipers getting off jarate and landing a bushwacka hit on a pyro that is actively burning them for that to be a legit balance consideration, right?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I haven’t played this game in a decade. What’ve I missed?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they finally added sex

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thank god

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

RandolphCarter posted:

I haven’t played this game in a decade. What’ve I missed?

hats

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ArfJason posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTcojsVTG0

i missed some of these. what do you guys think of When cloaked spy can jump a little bit higher

These Sniper nerfs seem very bitter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
sniper is widely considered the most dominant class these days, or at least the class that is most capable of taking over a server with regularity, so it isn't too shocking that rebalance attempts would address that. i like the ammo change personally

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
sniper is definitely not the most dominant class, just the class that is the least fun to fight against

visible tracers/lower ammo are completely reasonable sniper nerfs though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The problem is that they're huge nerfs to the sniper playstyles that are interesting to play against (dynamically move around the map, putting yourself at risk to get good angles on the opposing team) while not at all affecting the server-dominating and annoying to play against "park yourself next to a dispenser at the end of a sniper lane and use your superior aim to single-handedly destroy any attempt to push that way".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I think the ammo change is a meaningless one, it would need to be 5 or lower max ammo to have any real meaning

My preferred solution is a simple one, all Sniper Rifles(except the Sydney Sleeper) would now operate off The Classic's rule of needing a full charge meter to get critical hits on headshots, this elimination of "Quick Scoping" would give Sniper a much needed slowing down in his TTK while still allowing him to do his job(he just takes longer to do it between each shot) while also not only buffing some of his weaker rifles(Sydney Sleeper and The Classic both benefit from this) but also making the differences between Stock, Bazaar Bargain, and Hitman's Heatmaker actually meaningful, doesn't really change much for the Machina/Shooting Star admittedly

The fact that it would make Sniper Bots a lot less effective is a nice side benefit

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Jabor posted:

The problem is that they're huge nerfs to the sniper playstyles that are interesting to play against (dynamically move around the map, putting yourself at risk to get good angles on the opposing team) while not at all affecting the server-dominating and annoying to play against "park yourself next to a dispenser at the end of a sniper lane and use your superior aim to single-handedly destroy any attempt to push that way".

The fix for this one is to just increase the reload time a little. Mobile snipers can still play like pick classes but the ones parked on sightlines put out substantially less damage. You punish misses the same as the tracers, but tracers only punish snipers who are in creative spots while tracers don't matter for most camping snipers. Ammo capacity cut is a good one but 13 is very restrictive. That's about the same as the Huntsman but the difference is you can get a lot closer with that weapon. Probably like 16-18 is a good amount instead.

cerious fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 28, 2023

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I think the ammo change is a meaningless one, it would need to be 5 or lower max ammo to have any real meaning

My preferred solution is a simple one, all Sniper Rifles(except the Sydney Sleeper) would now operate off The Classic's rule of needing a full charge meter to get critical hits on headshots, this elimination of "Quick Scoping" would give Sniper a much needed slowing down in his TTK while still allowing him to do his job(he just takes longer to do it between each shot) while also not only buffing some of his weaker rifles(Sydney Sleeper and The Classic both benefit from this) but also making the differences between Stock, Bazaar Bargain, and Hitman's Heatmaker actually meaningful, doesn't really change much for the Machina/Shooting Star admittedly

The fact that it would make Sniper Bots a lot less effective is a nice side benefit

Add in Medics have an inherent 1 armor against sniper shots as well.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why

medic is literally already the strongest class in the game, there can be classes that are good at killing them

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Because sniper players in any fps always deserve to suffer.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

StealthArcher posted:

Add in Medics have an inherent 1 armor against sniper shots as well.

Nah, medics rightfully deserve to get owned.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

the holy poopacy posted:

Nah, medics rightfully deserve to get owned.

I remember getting a strange caber, and I was overjoyed enough to put two fun gimmick counters on it: Airborne enemies killed for funny midair collisions, and Medics killed.

Had it for just a few days before The Caber Nerf happened and I could no longer scream out of the sky onto a Medic's head, turning them into a soup-like homogenate :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I love reading Sniper nerf ideas. You'll never un-shot your head.