Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Astro7x posted:

I love Time Machine, and I've never noticed a problem with the backup speeds being an issue.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Time Machine does hashing and deduplication and poo poo, so it's slower than just copying files to a NAS or external drive. Particularly on the first run. That's probably why some people complain.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

They need to offer iCloud Time Machine backups, drat it.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I have a nas i set up with a xeon-d BGA board from asrack 6 years ago or so. Is there any board thats similar that also isn't 1000 bucks? The one I had was for 420 dollars but the only ones I can find are older boards or a supermicro that I have to get from them and is listed on reseller sites for more than I want to spend. I'm assuming every one in my market probably switched to Synology? I suppose the other option is desktop parts + HBA which might be what I need to do.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Corb3t posted:

Yeah

At this point I think since I should probably keep iCloud storage for “just in case”, maybe I’ll just make sure iCloud images are downloaded to the iMac and then let TM handle backing them up (unless it doesn’t do that for some reason)

It’s still incredibly loving annoying that I can’t store the photos.app Library on a mounted network drive.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Corb3t posted:

You can already sync your keychain, desktop, documents, etc. That’s most of what matters. A library preferences backup would be nice.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Was reminded of the discussion on VPN vs port forwarding from the beginning of this month, and in particular the following post:

Corb3t posted:

Y'all should just open port 32400 and enjoy seamless streaming from any device. Plex supports 2FA - it's probably a lot easier convincing the people you share Plex with to turn that on instead of setting up a VPN or using a Plex-specific device.

while reading today's golden nugget from the infosec thread:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/lastpass-hackers-infected-employees-home-computer-and-stole-corporate-vault/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Keito posted:

Was reminded of the discussion on VPN vs port forwarding from the beginning of this month, and in particular the following post:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/lastpass-hackers-infected-employees-home-computer-and-stole-corporate-vault/

And to steal another quote from that thread:

Klyith posted:

1Password if you can afford $3 per month and want to be done with this poo poo forever.

Bitwarden if you want something free.

Keepass if you are a huge nerd and want to janitor your own software.

Apple keychain if you are fully inside the apple ecosystem and don't need compatibility.

I'll be working on this today I think, should have ditched LastPass two security breaches ago.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

That guy was also the target of a very high-end hacker group, or potentially even a state actor. The threat level is a little bit different to the average goon.

OTOH if your job makes you a target for Mossad, I agree that you shouldn't open a plex forward to the internet. Actually, don't even connect your NAS or other personal stuff to the same router that connects to the internet. In fact, don't use any computers at all if you can help it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

And to steal another quote from that thread:

I'll be working on this today I think, should have ditched LastPass two security breaches ago.

I went with 1Password and the sharing part is the best part. Very easy to share with my wife the joint accounts. And it was very easy to import from Lastpass.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Segment poo poo like that away from each other, yikes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Klyith posted:

That guy was also the target of a very high-end hacker group, or potentially even a state actor. The threat level is a little bit different to the average goon.

OTOH if your job makes you a target for Mossad, I agree that you shouldn't open a plex forward to the internet. Actually, don't even connect your NAS or other personal stuff to the same router that connects to the internet. In fact, don't use any computers at all if you can help it.

I know none of the details, but a dev for a password manager opening a work password vault (1 out of 4 people to have access to that vault) on a home PC with Plex server installed is loving lol. Not to mention their "remediation" steps at the bottom of their announcement. Some are just laughable.

https://support.lastpass.com/help/incident-2-additional-details-of-the-attack

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I know none of the details, but a dev for a password manager opening a work password vault (1 out of 4 people to have access to that vault) on a home PC with Plex server installed is loving lol. Not to mention their "remediation" steps at the bottom of their announcement. Some are just laughable.

Deleted my lastpass account an hour ago, feels good man. Also felt good whittling down the ~500 stored accounts I had in lastpass to under 100 in 1password.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

If someone finds themselves the target of an APT, unless they have the resources equivalent of the APT, they're gonna get their rear end handed to them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, and?

Their poo poo was clearly not locked down appropriately, let alone "one of the largest cloud password managers in the world" locked down.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Keito posted:

Ouch. With the timing being what it was, I wonder if it's the same Plex vulnerability that forced them to reset everybody's password, or a newly undiscovered bug altogether?

I'm still going to remotely share my Plex library with close friends and family from my network isolated Plex server.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Nothing like spinning up a brand new array only to see a bunch of unrecoverable read/write errors off of a new disk. Yes, it's a Seagate drive. At least the others have 5 years of warranty on them (until 2027 that is).

Toshiba + Hitachi + WD for me I guess it is then. Pity, I really wanted to believe that Seagate isn't that poo poo anymore but anecdata is a bitch.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Buy whatever you want but I suspect all manufacturers have the occasional DoA drive, and these folks who use lots of hard drives and track their failure rates run plenty of Seagate: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-2022/

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I’ve read the Backblaze stats for years and basically their stats do line up with the conventional wisdom essentially. None of my Toshiba drives have failed so far out of the 16 I’ve gotten yet of the 30-something odd WD I’ve had about 5 disk failures across 10+ years, none of the 8+ Samsung drives, and these were the only Seagate drives I’ve bought in the past 16 years I’ve just realized. Obviously all rather low N but paying more for more reliable drives seems to matter enough for whatever odds align with my experiences.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
An N so low I would hesitate to say you could glean any meaningful conclusions from personal experience. Pretty much nobody can.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Hahaha, conquered the weird NAS card problem with my rockpro64. I just needed an older SATA card. $20 ASM1061 works, $35 ASM1062 didn't. Yay for microcenter off brand pci cards.

Next step-resume building 2bay NAS

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Klyith posted:

Yesterday’s nation state attack is tomorrow’s script kiddie attack. These things have a habit of becoming widely available very quickly, and sites like shodan.io make it trivially easy to find exposed services on the internet.

I’ve disabled port forwarding on my Plex box until I can find a more robust way of exposing it, I’m expecting a rash of copycat attacks in the near future.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr Crucial posted:

I’ve disabled port forwarding on my Plex box until I can find a more robust way of exposing it, I’m expecting a rash of copycat attacks in the near future.

"More robust" like not running a plex build from 2020 perhaps?

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Motronic posted:

"More robust" like not running a plex build from 2020 perhaps?

Well that would be a start. But I’d rather not leave myself at the mercy of someone who discovers the next bug.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nowadays things like 0days are more valuable to be sold to state actors than to be randomly used on some nobody afaik. Just keep your stuff updated and don’t be the guy who the NSA or Mossad wants to monitor and you’ll largely be fine, afaik

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Nowadays things like 0days are more valuable to be sold to state actors than to be randomly used on some nobody afaik. Just keep your stuff updated and don’t be the guy who the NSA or Mossad wants to monitor and you’ll largely be fine, afaik

I don’t doubt that I’m a low priority target, but I’m planning to use this excuse to learn how to properly lock down a self-hosted internet-facing resource. There are plenty of low-effort improvements that can be made beyond just ensuring that software is kept updated.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr Crucial posted:

Yesterday’s nation state attack is tomorrow’s script kiddie attack. These things have a habit of becoming widely available very quickly, and sites like shodan.io make it trivially easy to find exposed services on the internet.

1. Reducing your attack surface is never a bad thing.

2. A thing that's secure but unusable is pointless.

3. The tradeoff between 1 and 2 is a choice, and absolutely one you should make for yourself. In saying that it's unlikely anyone ITT will get owned by whatever thing the lastpass guy did, I'm just giving a probability. Many people seem to want their plex open to non-nerd friends and family, and I don't think this is a major problem for them. But also I'm sure if you tell people you've taken your plex server off the internet because security they won't argue.

4. That said, if you are worried about skiddie / botnet type attacks, the solution is to keep your poo poo updated. This is absolutely more important than anything else.

Security you set up by configuration is fallible. You might make a mistake, your firewall might be faulty, or the device might make a connection you're not aware of (ex plex communicates to the Plex servers even if you don't port-forward). A patch that removes a vulnerability from existence is not fallible. Make sure your stuff updates, get rid of or restrict things that don't.

(Bonus number 5: lmao that everyone gets paranoid about their plex server's possible compromise, but not the torrent clients and whatever other poo poo they're running to acquire multiple terabytes of totally legal filez. Or, you know, the filez themselves. Those are absolutely 100% ironclad secure, right?)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Klyith posted:

(Bonus number 5: lmao that everyone gets paranoid about their plex server's possible compromise, but not the torrent clients and whatever other poo poo they're running to acquire multiple terabytes of totally legal filez. Or, you know, the filez themselves. Those are absolutely 100% ironclad secure, right?)

No port requirements for newsgroups :smuggo:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Klyith posted:

You're not entirely wrong but it's a bit harder to hack a computer through a video file that gets sent over a streaming web player than some executable warez.

Torrent clients themselves are frequently open source so :shrug:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Both torrent clients and video players are also more diverse than Plex servers - the return on investment from finding an attack that works on one specific version of VLC on Ubuntu is miniscule compared to something that works on "every Plex docker connected to the Internet except those updated the last week".

Which I guess is to Plex' credit - they've got a decent track record despite being a juicy and easily found target.

(We've solved it by not being in a situation where Plex connected to the internet makes sense in the first place. It's not like we watch it at work or while walking home, there are other ways to do streaming audio, and friends/family have found their own solutions.)

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
So as long as you don't download anything with the torrent client its all good.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Eletriarnation posted:

You're not entirely wrong but it's a bit harder to hack a computer through a video file that gets sent over a streaming web player than some executable warez.
At least the long lived local media players have mostly already been exploitable targets years ago.

I remember all sorts of exploits targeting various forms of data embeds in WMVs, buffer overflowing ID3 tags, obscure format parsers like EMF, etc. back in the 2000s where just loading a malicious file in the wrong media player or even browsing to the folder with icon previews enabled could result in malware. In the 2010s we saw issues with mobile OS media decoders that allowed MMS messages to be weaponized. The major media player engines have all "been there, done that" for the most part and the ones that have survived have generally learned their lessons.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Has anyone with UnRAID successfully changed the port the webgui runs on?

I'd like to move it off 80/443 and use SWAG to reverse proxy but I can't find any reliable guides and see a whole lot of people saying it messes up.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have a truenas box with two relevant network cards: One into the wider LAN, and one 10gbit direct link to another server. The LAN does not allow more than one MAC per port.

I'd like to configure a jail that is connected to both. Using NAT on the LAN side works, and VNET hooked to a bridge lets me talk to the other server. But it there any way to do both on the same jail in the truenas GUI?

For now I've only got it connected to the 10gbit link, and then I do NAT on the other server to get it onto the LAN. This does work, but it feels a bit hacky.

E: truenas, not opnsense. Too many BSD appliance boxes in my life.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Matt Zerella posted:

I'd like to move it off 80/443 and use SWAG to reverse proxy but I can't find any reliable guides and see a whole lot of people saying it messes up.

This is the much more typical recommendation.
-Leave 80/443 to Unraid
-Port forward in your router 80/443 to your unraid server IP address but to different ports. I'll use 10443 and 10080 as an example.
-Configure the Swag container and map host port 10443 to container port 443, and 10080 to container port 80.

Incoming traffic from WAN to 80/443 will now go to the Swag container and work like you expect it to. If you have nat loopback setup on your router connections locally to your domain should work fine too.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Matt Zerella posted:

what’s the particular reason you’re trying to reverse proxy the gui? that shouldn’t be exposed to the internet

if you’re trying to deconflict container ports just give the containers discrete IPs

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I don't want to RP the Web gui. It's for internal RPing to docker containers only using split brain DNS. My goal here is to have no external ports exposed on UnRAID and everything runs through SWAG or NPM over ssl.

I'm also not forwarding from my router either.

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

I don't want to RP the Web gui. It's for internal RPing to docker containers only using split brain DNS. My goal here is to have no external ports exposed on UnRAID and everything runs through SWAG or NPM over ssl.

I'm also not forwarding from my router either.
I created a vlan at the router level and added that as a separate network interface in unraid. All the dockers I want to be available through the reverse proxy and the reverse proxy itself I run on that network. I have DNS entries in pihole for the proxied applications. Nothing is exposed or accessible from outside my network. I have wireguard set up for when I need to access things away from home.

I have a entry for the unraid gui in my reverse proxy only so I can use a simpler name that the long one unraid assigns.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Got it set up. Thanks for the VLAN suggestion but I'm not there yet.

I got the GUI moved to different ports. Got swag running on 80/443 and now almost everything is reverse proxies internally with a let's encrypt certificate and nice pretty DNS.

The DNS Resolver in pfsense rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do I backup Windows disks as disk images to a network drive? I looked at Veeam, but a backup software's download taking TEN GIGABYTES is way too loving much. Why it takes so loving much space for a simple backup software? Even Windows takes half the size of that, and it's a whole complete OS with bells and whistles!

Any alternatives?