Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arivia posted:

the classic example on video from most of our childhoods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWR5RkWRTY

"our childhoods," oh dear :corsair:

I suppose I wasn't thinking about vampires, which I have lots of references for. Hiding from spirits, ghosts, evil influences, I saw some video a while back by the beardy guy from the british museum about mesopotamians who had magic spells to try and get rid of annoying ancestors who were haunting them but that's not exactly "hiding from" them, more of an exorcism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I suppose I wasn't thinking about vampires, which I have lots of references for. Hiding from spirits, ghosts, evil influences, I saw some video a while back by the beardy guy from the british museum about mesopotamians who had magic spells to try and get rid of annoying ancestors who were haunting them but that's not exactly "hiding from" them, more of an exorcism.

There's a classic about a monk given hospitality for the night by what turns out to be a pair of monsters and when they try to find him they can't because he's chanting a sutra and he just keeps chanting all night and leaves in the morning.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

i run a discord server full of zoomers and one of them said she was hungry and i said "oh you're having a snack attack eh" and she looked at me like i'd said nonsense. we're old now, leperflesh.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Off the top of my head:

• Hold your breath; the dead can't see you if you don't breathe.
  • Walk backwards, or heel to toe, or cross your legs as you walk; so the dead can't tell where you've been or where you're going.
  • Quietly whisper palindromes over and over; they fascinate and distract the dead.
  • Turn out your pockets so the dead know you aren't stealing their grave goods, that way you won't attract their attention.
  • Never step into, or over, a shadow, those are windows into the land of the dead.
  • Carefully avoid looking at or acknowledging the dead one's presence; if you can see them, they can see you.

Some of those are based on real folk lore, (usually think that you would do on the way back from a funeral to keep the ghost from following you back home from the cemetery) some of them are based on stuff I've pulled from fiction, and some of them my source is I made it the gently caress up. I also specifically pitched ideas that did not require or rely on charms or materials, to head off the "but your character sheet doesn't say you have a pinch of grave dirt, nyeh he heh" bad DMing bullshit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Isn't lifesense just infrared

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I thought life sense was literally seeing life (i.e. positive energy).

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

I thought life sense was literally seeing life (i.e. positive energy).

The 4 negative Quasi Elemental Planes are Ash, Salt, Dust, and Vacuum. Putting a layer of Vacuum on your skin has obvious issues, but any of the 3 others should work more or less. Covering enough of your body in Ash or Dust should give you a chance to roll to evade detection by the spell.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Servetus posted:

The 4 negative Quasi Elemental Planes are Ash, Salt, Dust, and Vacuum. Putting a layer of Vacuum on your skin has obvious issues, but any of the 3 others should work more or less. Covering enough of your body in Ash or Dust should give you a chance to roll to evade detection by the spell.
Or just sweat a lot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arivia posted:

i run a discord server full of zoomers and one of them said she was hungry and i said "oh you're having a snack attack eh" and she looked at me like i'd said nonsense. we're old now, leperflesh.

yeah I was 24 when the mummy came out, e.g. I'm even older is what I'm saying

GimpInBlack posted:

Off the top of my head:

• Hold your breath; the dead can't see you if you don't breathe.
  • Walk backwards, or heel to toe, or cross your legs as you walk; so the dead can't tell where you've been or where you're going.
  • Quietly whisper palindromes over and over; they fascinate and distract the dead.
  • Turn out your pockets so the dead know you aren't stealing their grave goods, that way you won't attract their attention.
  • Never step into, or over, a shadow, those are windows into the land of the dead.
  • Carefully avoid looking at or acknowledging the dead one's presence; if you can see them, they can see you.

Some of those are based on real folk lore, (usually think that you would do on the way back from a funeral to keep the ghost from following you back home from the cemetery) some of them are based on stuff I've pulled from fiction, and some of them my source is I made it the gently caress up. I also specifically pitched ideas that did not require or rely on charms or materials, to head off the "but your character sheet doesn't say you have a pinch of grave dirt, nyeh he heh" bad DMing bullshit.

I like this sort of thing, feels folklorish and less generic than "get some amulets" even though amulets seem to have featured in a lot of different ancient cultures. In particular I like "distract the dead" with some puzzle or maze or attracting thing that they can't resist, at least for a while.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
carry a living Turritopsis dohrnii in a suitable watertight container. an immortal being by definition has infinite life and will blind any undead who tries to look at it. they'll know you're there, but they won't be able to pinpoint your location.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

carry a living Turritopsis dohrnii in a suitable watertight container. an immortal being by definition has infinite life and will blind any undead who tries to look at it. they'll know you're there, but they won't be able to pinpoint your location.
Box of tardigrades.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

What are some examples from the real world, for how to hide from the undead who can sense you (without eyes or wearing a mummy mask or w/e) purely because you're alive?

Like I'm not a mythology expert but I'm wondering if we have any in the house who can give some interesting examples. That could actually give me some fun ideas to put into a game.

e. I feel like "cover yourself in ashes" is a Predator reference but that was mud I think and obviously the Predator alien wasn't an undead monster, so maybe that's a reach.

I can't so much think of examples with the dead, but it's really just an extension of "Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman!" only for living things instead of the English. The monster has some unique way of knowing you're there, so there's a ritual that the locals know to counter it. You wear red and chew on verbena when going into the deep woods because fairies find the color and smell repulsive, and if a partially masked woman hiding her face asks if you find her beautiful, you have to say she's average so she doesn't kill or maim you.

It's sort of a "if you invent the ship, you invent the shipwreck" situation for imaginary fantasy worlds. It takes very little effort to write a few lines of flavorful text to let the Lich do a thematically appropriate "Who dares bring the pulse of life in my domain!" but once you've published those lines, you've created a world where characters who live in it are probably aware that the undead have alternative senses. So now that you've invented Lifesense, you've invented people who have to work around Lifesense as a matter of course. Ranger Bob encounters the undead every 2-3 years, so they're not common, but he's a capable professional and knows that if you're going into the Dark Fens, you gotta wear the ashes of a poplar tree for a full day beforehand or you might as well be announcing your presence to every specter and wight for miles around. If Fantasy Mike Ehrmantraut is going after a Necromancer, part of his approach takes into account that his target has Lifesense, and that has to be tricked, baffled, or disabled, and from his experience, poplar ash ain't gonna cut it, but here's what a necromancer's not gonna expect...

It's part of the innate awkwardness of a group of people pretending to be people who live in a very different world and the game has to have some necessary hedges to abstract around it. But it's a problem best solved out of character, negotiating between the DM and the players what would be common or esoteric knowledge in the imaginary world the characters have lived their entire life within.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Precambrian posted:

I can't so much think of examples with the dead, but it's really just an extension of "Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman!" only for living things instead of the English. The monster has some unique way of knowing you're there, so there's a ritual that the locals know to counter it.

Something similar to the 'counter' aspect would be the phrase Kuwabara kuwabara. It's basically "knock on wood" or "Swiper, No Swiping!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Precambrian posted:

I can't so much think of examples with the dead, but it's really just an extension of "Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman!" only for living things instead of the English. The monster has some unique way of knowing you're there, so there's a ritual that the locals know to counter it. You wear red and chew on verbena when going into the deep woods because fairies find the color and smell repulsive, and if a partially masked woman hiding her face asks if you find her beautiful, you have to say she's average so she doesn't kill or maim you.

It's sort of a "if you invent the ship, you invent the shipwreck" situation for imaginary fantasy worlds. It takes very little effort to write a few lines of flavorful text to let the Lich do a thematically appropriate "Who dares bring the pulse of life in my domain!" but once you've published those lines, you've created a world where characters who live in it are probably aware that the undead have alternative senses. So now that you've invented Lifesense
I've cut it off where it gets iffy. You don't need to create "lifesense", you can just write down "Senses: Other (see description)". Sight, hearing, echolocation, these are all real world senses so having specific rules about them makes sense. Something like tremorsense is decent enough, a lot of things hunt by vibration despite us not having a specific word for it so throw something in there. But there's absolutely no reason why skeletons and vampires and lichs necessarily detect nearby humans using the same "Lifesense" and labelling it as such is silly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

I've cut it off where it gets iffy. You don't need to create "lifesense", you can just write down "Senses: Other (see description)". Sight, hearing, echolocation, these are all real world senses so having specific rules about them makes sense. Something like tremorsense is decent enough, a lot of things hunt by vibration despite us not having a specific word for it so throw something in there. But there's absolutely no reason why skeletons and vampires and lichs necessarily detect nearby humans using the same "Lifesense" and labelling it as such is silly.

I think this is an arbitrary condemnation of the idea basically, that presumes some stuff. If you decide for your fiction that they all detect living people the same way, and give it a keyword, you can then conveniently use that keyword for a whole class of magic items or spells or a specific skill or whatever, and you can reference a standardized rule in the index and from monster descriptions etc. as previously discussed.

Having each undead thing have its own, specific, potentially different from the others in subtle or significant ways, way of detecting you could add richness and flavor or it could just be irritating and unnecessary complication.

So is "lifesense" necessary? Depends on the game. Keyworded rules aren't necessary if they almost never arise in play. They're handy if they arise very frequently. In a campaign that centers around the undead I could see it being a handy standardized rule to work with.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
"Lifesense" is just the ability to sense either positive or negative energy. That all living things and undead(negative) things have.

quote:

Lifesense allows a monster to sense the vital essence of living and undead creatures within the listed range. The sense can distinguish between the positive energy animating living creatures and the negative energy animating undead creatures, much as sight distinguishes colors.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Precambrian posted:

I mean, this all works in the narrative style. But PF2e is not ideal as a narrative style game (although just like 5e, it doesn't openly commit to either style in order that it can play both sides; and people do play it as a mixture or an alternation and enjoy it, so hey)

I mean, yes, Knights of Lastwall does suggest that you can become hidden to Lifesense by smearing ash over your body.. but it's a 3-action activity tied to an Archetype Feat for the Knight Reclaimant Archetype and is likely to require at least 7th level (because it has a Master skill rank requirement). So the idea that it could be used by a character with none of these things as an explanation for Foil Senses or for just "choosing to take action to avoid special senses" seems unsatisfactory in terms of following game design intent. And other suggestions have consistency problems. Hide behind cover.. well, Tremorsense can detect you on the other side of a wall if you're generating vibrations on the ground, so can Lifesense? Dunno, the game doesn't bother to give that detail about how it works.

That said if someone in a game I was running came up with the idea of using immortal or exceptionally long-lived creatures to Dazzle Lifesense then I'd probably give it to them because sod it, that is some UA-grade exologic.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Splicer posted:

But there's absolutely no reason why skeletons and vampires and lichs necessarily detect nearby humans using the same "Lifesense" and labelling it as such is silly.

Well, none of those creatures have lifesense, so...

EDIT: They do all have darkvision, though. Your argument of "well it doesn't exist in the real world so every instance has to be completely unique in mechanics" should apply there too, right?

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 27, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zurai posted:

Well, none of those creatures have lifesense, so...

EDIT: They do all have darkvision, though. Your argument of "well it doesn't exist in the real world so every instance has to be completely unique in mechanics" should apply there too, right?
I was replying directly to a post which used those as examples. I stand by my argument about where the post in question's logic went cockeyed, and apparently Pathfinder stands with me :colbert:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Splicer posted:

I was replying directly to a post which used those as examples. I stand by my argument about where the post in question's logic went cockeyed, and apparently Pathfinder stands with me :colbert:

The post you responded to didn't mention either vampires or skeletons. And no, Pathfinder doesn't stand with you, because your logic should apply equally well to darkvision, as I mentioned.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

What are some examples from the real world, for how to hide from the undead who can sense you (without eyes or wearing a mummy mask or w/e) purely because you're alive?

Like I'm not a mythology expert but I'm wondering if we have any in the house who can give some interesting examples. That could actually give me some fun ideas to put into a game.

e. I feel like "cover yourself in ashes" is a Predator reference but that was mud I think and obviously the Predator alien wasn't an undead monster, so maybe that's a reach.

a hand of glory is a thieves tool that makes you invisible to anyone you present it to. it's made from the dried/pickled hand of a hanged criminal and turned into a candle. presumably this works on undead as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_Glory

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Just hide behind Gazerbeam's skeleton. Easy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If only it were intelligencesense we’d all have nothing to worry about

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Leperflesh posted:

I'd go with an Apotropaic ward of some kind. The symbolism is still eye-based but you could argue that it extends to all evil senses.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
just do some harrow nonagesimus cosplay

maybe with sick shades if your biceps are huge

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

hyphz posted:

. And other suggestions have consistency problems. Hide behind cover.. well, Tremorsense can detect you on the other side of a wall if you're generating vibrations on the ground, so can Lifesense? Dunno, the game doesn't bother to give that detail about how it works.

Yeah its entirely specific about that. Tremorsense if its listed as an imprecise sense can only detect the presence of a creature and not its exact location meaning that you could be hidden. Tremorsense as a precise sense can detect a creature.

Also, while not entirely clearly written Im absolutely positive the default is that vision types don't go through solid objects. Basically the default is that the rules for line of effect and line of sight always apply.

And before you whine about me making stuff up:

quote:

t can't detect soulless bodies, constructs, or objects, and like most senses, it doesn't penetrate through solid objects.
As far as I can tell there are only two sense that penetrate through solid objects. Tremorsense and I swear that there's one lets you see ghosts in walls.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 28, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

As far as I can tell there are only two sense that penetrate through solid objects. Tremorsense and I swear that there's one lets you see ghosts in walls.

"hearing" and "scent".

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

MadScientistWorking posted:

Yeah its entirely specific about that. Tremorsense if its listed as an imprecise sense can only detect the presence of a creature and not its exact location meaning that you could be hidden. Tremorsense as a precise sense can detect a creature.

Also, while not entirely clearly written Im absolutely positive the default is that vision types don't go through solid objects. Basically the default is that the rules for line of effect and line of sight always apply.

And before you whine about me making stuff up:

Sixth sense is the one that lets you find ghosts and such in walls, but it's still hidden.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Seventh sense is the one that gives you access to the essence of your Cosmo.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
What sense allows me to detect thetans?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

If only it were intelligencesense we’d all have nothing to worry about

TG as an Industry: My senses detect no intelligence within

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TG as an Industry: Too stupid for ghosts to find us

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I pulled up a file today in Dropbox and the app told me "Last edited 21 years ago."

I don't know what the keyword should be for feeling ancient.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Isn't Dropbox only something like 15 years old?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Moving a file doesn't count as editing.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Starfinder Definitely Not 2e incoming:

https://twitter.com/paizo/status/1630679767459438599

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

hey cool, hopefully a starfinder I won't find incredibly tedious to play and think about.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Hopefully they’re using the term “blending” in the sense of “reduced to a fine slurry whose original form is utterly obliterated.”

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

That's a suprise, because I honestly thought Starfinder was just a cover product for Pathfinder 2e, and not something they were going to keep supporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If it doesn't use the pf2e action point system it's DoA for most people anyways.