Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

I don't need to imagine it, I do it every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rarity posted:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

edogawa rando posted:

The first time I posted in an AEW thread, I was accused of wrongthink, and jumped on.

Apparently expressing frustration at the stop-start nature of “Hayter turns on Britt” was rather egregious.

We had to tell you to stop posting unsolicited rants about how much you hated the Britt story in the business thread because it had nothing to do with AEW's business, you were just talking about how you subjectively didn't like the story. So. Yeah. Pretty egregious. And I say this as one of the subforum's most prolific Britt Haters, so maybe it's not a wrongthing thing.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 28, 2023

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

is there an actionable resolution we’re seeking here or does it boil down to “stop making posts I don’t like reading”?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NienNunb posted:

is there an actionable resolution we’re seeking here or does it boil down to “stop making posts I don’t like reading”?

It's this and "use your ignore button ffs"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb posted:

We're going to hunt down , and kill, the last of the epic rereg guy accounts.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Now this is a plan of action i can stand behind

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

The last epic rereg guy account is in captivity. PSP is at peace.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

We can’t be sure until we see your passports. Please post your passports

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The meme of Edge talking in super high speed looking like a loving dork with "just use your ignore button" above him next to Christian just standing there looking like a cool Chad with "constantly cause derails with your petty personal squabbles" above him.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

That DICK! posted:

We can’t be sure until we see your passports. Please post your passports

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I thought weepy Wangman was a whatever joke but I want to start using it now that I know it causes real psychic damage

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Ken Jeong as Changman in an unproduced episode of community about the study group getting into professional wrestling.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

frankly i think saying wangman is no better than saying take a shitta

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gumball Gumption posted:

I thought weepy Wangman was a whatever joke but I want to start using it now that I know it causes real psychic damage

Wumball Wumption

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Thanks for the examples + passport pic but I was specifically asking about the repeated scenario where new posters are run off not whatever random arguments happened between regulars here

I wasn’t run off, but I got tired of participating because of the dynamic described. It’s a good enough forum so that I still read a few threads, but the AEW ones sure aren’t among them.

Not that I’m a huge loss or anything.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fez_machine posted:

there's an off-site lowtax exodus era discord and guess what it's mainly made up of people who don't post in these forums very much at all

Many people there think the weekly threads here are unreadable dogshit so yeah why would we post here if everything is bad?

I stopped reading the weekly threads years ago because it's easier than putting like 70% of posters on ignore.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the seemingly very successful and happy discord sounds like a good solution to the problem, which doesn't need to be arrogantly pushed on everyone else in an attempt to shame people for using nicknames when they talk about wrestling, or otherwise act like objective observers talking about how posting must be done. the plea about "what i want to see" earlier in this thread is something else. if the threads here are to be entertainment for people, they should be for the users who are making the posts. not people who come in to complain and swear they would post more if everyone else was better. why do you think the people who do enjoy themselves here want that? why do you think you are higher quality than other people or whatever is causing this? get a grip.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 28, 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cavauro posted:

the seemingly very successful and happy discord sounds like a good solution to the problem, which doesn't need to be arrogantly pushed on everyone else in an attempt to shame people for using nicknames when they talk about wrestling, or otherwise act like objective observers talking about how posting must be done. the plea about "what i want to see" earlier in this thread is something else. if the threads here are to be entertainment for people, they should be for the users who are making the posts. not people who come in to complain and swear they would post more if everyone else was better. why do you think the people who do enjoy themselves here want that? why do you think you are higher quality than other people or whatever is causing this? get a grip.

the chains came off

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The posters are no longer held hostage by an oppressed dictator

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

drat. he's cooking

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's like 70 to 200 people browsing the forum all the time. if the argument is that most of these people read the threads and shake their heads in disgust because they can't have good wrestling discussion, then first of all that's more than enough people to fulfill the dream somewhere. why it has to be here i don't know. if there's a sense of ownership or longing to use this place and boot out the jagoffs or make them fall in line, then present your case to hand knit or someone in a sensible way. point out exactly how much better a forum it is if they would force people to stop being silly and to permit only the most "readable" impassioned wrestling love letters. entrust one another with writing out some example posts that you'd make if you felt it would be worthwhile. as it is, there are like 3 or 4 posts a week of someone insulting another person and going to this well of justice to act like it's warranted. there's no discussion to be had about this because every time someone brings it up they are acting as agents of how things must be and saying the majority of users are in a group together. a group that is willfully keeping this place bad. it's not reasonable. It reads much more like you enjoy insulting the people who post here first and foremost and don't really care that much about the rest. prove me wrong or stop it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:stare:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat. he's cooking

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
In cav we trust

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Cavauro posted:

Gimmickmen rise up

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

there's like 70 to 200 people browsing the forum all the time. if the argument is that most of these people read the threads and shake their heads in disgust because they can't have good wrestling discussion, then first of all that's more than enough people to fulfill the dream somewhere. why it has to be here i don't know. if there's a sense of ownership or longing to use this place and boot out the jagoffs or make them fall in line, then present your case to hand knit or someone in a sensible way. point out exactly how much better a forum it is if they would force people to stop being silly and to permit only the most "readable" impassioned wrestling love letters. entrust one another with writing out some example posts that you'd make if you felt it would be worthwhile. as it is, there are like 3 or 4 posts a week of someone insulting another person and going to this well of justice to act like it's warranted. there's no discussion to be had about this because every time someone brings it up they are acting as agents of how things must be and saying the majority of users are in a group together. a group that is willfully keeping this place bad. it's not reasonable. It reads much more like you enjoy insulting the people who post here first and foremost and don't really care that much about the rest. prove me wrong or stop it.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Rick posted:

I'm going to give you some benefit of the doubt and assume that you aren't just sealioning.

Every time this discourse happens, if anyone engages in it, there's always evidence of various negative experiences people can report on. This is because even if something falls within your tolerance of joking and silliness, not everyone has that same tolerance; something that might seem harmless to you from another person's perspective it could be completely different, and much more hostile, especially with how difficult it is to access tone on the internet. Also, very few people actually have a strong desire to be the main character of the thread because their taste is different than the majority of people. This place is going to feel downright hostile to people who just want to post their post without considering they're going to have to defend the posts;s existence. Furthermore, what motivation does anyone have to even make this up? If people say they feel this way, they feel this way. Why do they need to justify this feeling? What's the harm in believing them? Like I feel a lot of things, I don't have a notebook of receipts to go to every time I express that feeling.

Now, I agree that in general this place has been a lot more pleasant lately in general. If y'all like that (because gently caress it, I don't care, I post in this place a couple times a month now) then have some empathy and some perspective so things stay better and don't get worse.

I'm not "Sealioning" whatever that means. I'm asking for specific examples because "this subforum jumps on newcomers" sounds like a very different and more serious problem (that should be addressed) than the known, exhaustingly discussed, and unsolvable problem of "I don't like the way some people post". It feels like the posters who have these issues of hating posting styles that they cannot get over are then trying to create a hypothetical problem to make it seem more detrimental than the reality.

To my own eyes, all I've seen are welcoming arms to people who join the threads and say something along the lines of "hey, this looks cool, how can I learn more?". Every single time that happens, people trip over themselves to post youtube links and match recommendations. If anyone here is doing something other than that, I think most posters here would step in and say something or click the report button because I don't think that's the atmosphere anyone wants. But it's like, not actually a thing that happens as far as I can tell. What has happened, is sometimes someone will show up with obviously preformed opinions, not looking to engage but just ruffle feathers "I'm new to watching whats the deal with this pockets guy and the jazz hands guy they're awful why do people like them", and then it turns out they're a previously banned poster / cornette weirdo because that's not how normal people come to engage with something new.

JUNGLE BOY fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 28, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Downright Joe Burrow-esque poise.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I'm not "Sealioning" whatever that means. I'm asking for specific examples because "this subforum jumps on newcomers" sounds like a very different and more serious problem (that should be addressed) than the known, exhaustingly discussed, and unsolvable problem of "I don't like the way some people post". It feels like the posters who have these issues of hating posting styles that they cannot get over are then trying to create a hypothetical problem to make it seem more detrimental than the reality.

To my own eyes, all I've seen are welcoming arms to people who join the threads and say something along the lines of "hey, this looks cool, how can I learn more?". Every single time that happens, people trip over themselves to post youtube links and match recommendations. If anyone here is doing something other than that, I think most posters here would step in and say something or click the report button because I don't think that's the atmosphere anyone wants. But it's like, not actually a thing that happens as far as I can tell. What has happened, is sometimes someone will show up with obviously preformed opinions, not looking to engage but just ruffle feathers "I'm new to watching whats the deal with this pockets guy and the jazz hands guy they're awful why do people like them", and then it turns out they're a previously banned poster / cornette weirdo because that's not how normal people come to engage with something new.

As someone who started watching wrestling six(ish) months ago, I can confirm the people in this forum have been welcoming. I never thought they wouldn't be tbh because if I know one thing about nerds it's that they love to share their interest with newcomers, even if that does mean being exposed to Hornswoggle and the history of Billy Pumpkins' wrestling company.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sisal Two-Step posted:

As someone who started watching wrestling six(ish) months ago, I can confirm the people in this forum have been welcoming. I never thought they wouldn't be tbh because if I know one thing about nerds it's that they love to share their interest with newcomers, even if that does mean being exposed to Hornswoggle and the history of Billy Pumpkins' wrestling company.

You were exactly the poster I was thinking about when it comes to newcomers who are made to feel welcome. I remember so many examples given to you anytime you asked questions. And I've seen you voice opinions that are different than others and you were not called names or anything negative. A discussion happened.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

edogawa rando posted:

Shaman Tank Spec being repeatedly dunked on for expressing disgust at that racist MJF promo on Takeshita for some minor bullshit technicality when the gist of what he was saying was basically correct comes to mind.

Not to mention some thread regulars then litigating how offended some people ought to be, or even outright saying something that is pretty goddamned loving racist is "not that bad," or even "not racist." I don't feel like naming any names here, and I hope those who posted that poo poo know who they are, and feel ashamed of themselves. Same goes to the person who felt the need to carry on the stupid loving joke in the Wrestling Social Media thread.

I posted this in the Social Media thread, and I feel it bears repeating.

And yeah, I was pretty loving offended, to the point where it's really put me off of watching any AEW since.

This is :staredog: in that it even loving happened because A) that promo sucked poo poo and was definitely racist and B) why the gently caress do you gotta litigate whether or not Japanese (really Asian as a whole) people should be allowed to take offense to that at all?

Jesus christ.

Hmmm....yes....mocking an SA username based on a former president's white/European name is the same as mocking an asian guy's last name.

But nah for real, shut the gently caress up and stop trying to tell a non-white person they're not allowed to call that MJF promor racist when it clearly was intended to come off as racist.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 28, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nice watch

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would love to do a forums outreach again to other parts of this place. I know the PSP forum was linked recently in one of those site-wide announcements

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'll be honest I still don't understand how that segment was racist. Was it the poo poo he put in his name? Was it insinuating that he didn't know English? I am not trying to be antagonistic so apologies if it comes off like that, I'm honestly trying to understand. Because my gut reaction when I watched that segment was oh man MJF is a jerk and haha he looks like an idiot when Soup was able to speak English to him. And then he beat him up a lot for two weeks.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Shard posted:

You were exactly the poster I was thinking about when it comes to newcomers who are made to feel welcome. I remember so many examples given to you anytime you asked questions. And I've seen you voice opinions that are different than others and you were not called names or anything negative. A discussion happened.

Yep. I like CM Punk and a lot of people here don't and that's fine. I don't take it personally, even when they call him CM Henderson or Crumbling Man Punk or Crybaby Meanie Junk or um. I forget the others.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Shard posted:

I'll be honest I still don't understand how that segment was racist. Was it the poo poo he put in his name? Was it insinuating that he didn't know English? I am not trying to be antagonistic so apologies if it comes off like that, I'm honestly trying to understand. Because my gut reaction when I watched that segment was oh man MJF is a jerk and haha he looks like an idiot when Soup was able to speak English to him. And then he beat him up a lot for two weeks.

I'm White so I probably shouldn't be the arbiter of what is or isn't racist, so I'll leave it to the guy with the Japanese passport to explain. Probably something like this:

edogawa rando posted:

As a fellow yellow, solly solly yerrow person offended your grolious waito lace with our dishonourabre plesence. Neksuto taimu we will stand in background bowing head and say "solly solly."

It's just demeaning to use a non-anglo name as joke fodder. Nobody got mad at Jericho saying Kirk Angel but it's because there's not centuries of malice behind it. Everyone's mileage may vary, but it's very understandable why an Asian would be offended.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

american psycho scene but its passports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
It feels like we did this like 6 months ago, and back then, it was agreed that this is generally a positive place to talk about wrestling. It is! It's better than pretty much everywhere else online, always has been, and it's welcoming to newcomers for sure.

The thing is though, there is absolutely a received wisdom in the forum of AEW Rules, WWE Drools. While I can understand why that is, it can make the WWE thread especially a chore, when it feels like there's a constant tide of shitposting in there. If you're coming to talk about how much you liked the 5 Hour Energy Slam of the Week or whatever, it's not the place for you.

And that's fair- the received wisdom, after all, is WWE Droolz. However, to me that knowledge is the "insider" stuff STAC Goat was taking about, it's not individuals so much, it's a general vibe. I can see how every once in a while, someone who doesn't necessarily understand that will get upset and start lashing out, like our most recent re-reg guy did.

Just my two cents, see you in 6 months when it happens again