Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I just binged through the S14 since it became unlocked here in Finland on local streaming service I use, and I must say that was really, really good. The only "problem" was that Dara Ó Briain seemed like a purpose-built machine to completely dominate the competition.

If that guy doesn't become the Champion of the Champions of the Champions I really have hard time believing the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whoever wins that becomes taskmaster for the next 25 series, right

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Whoever wins that becomes taskmaster for the next 25 series, right

...If that person wins Greg Davies in a 1:1 duel competition that is the Christmas special that year. Greg Davies is still the judging taskmaster for that, obviously.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've been liking Australian Taskmaster, but Greg 100% would have disqualified all the contestants who got wet in the 'sink the bowling ball' task. Also Nina for not completing it (or getting wet from the rain). Points for nobody!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Other news, the new advertisements for the Suurmestari season 4 are up. And looking at the regular contestants, they actually have people who have frequently collaborated with the wet lapanen that is our Taskmaster, Jaakko Saariluoma. So we might get the witty banter back this season!

If they bring back the "smart alternatives"-approach that was aggressively lacking in the season 3 I might even have some hope for this season. Hopefully they also book guest competitors that aren't thin-skinned enough so that they cannot take, or are by contractual reasons guaranteed, to take no lip from the Taskmaster. Or maybe people who are actually funny, not just the run-of-the-mill popular artists, writes and media persons.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've been liking Australian Taskmaster, but Greg 100% would have disqualified all the contestants who got wet in the 'sink the bowling ball' task. Also Nina for not completing it (or getting wet from the rain). Points for nobody!

I mean, there's basically no way to complete it without getting a little wet, "you cannot get soaked" might have been a better rule.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Pablo Bluth posted:

What you can't take away from me is that I had an absolutely lovely day.

When we have a air date for S15, this would make for a good title. Change of pace from the past few.

Latest episode of Aus TM is a corker - one of the contestants is a hot mess, and bleeping out all the inadmissible attempts in the snap-crackle-pop task was an inspired choice. Also got an extra chuckle out of the subtitles which read UNSETTLING MUSIC when it was just the standard pre-task jingle.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Season 9 continues. This glass sliding task is amazing, and Greg is having an absolute ball. :3:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I used to live down the road from the original Marrickville Pork Roll. Their pork rolls are the best in Sydney and deserved the full 5 points.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I think the prize task is the only real weak spot on taskmAUSter, just the least effort possible on them. I get that's funny sometimes but it's not when everyone always does it. None of this bringing in a picture of something crap, bring in the real thing or cuddle up with your zero points for your zero effort.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I really like how they do it in Kongen Bafaler, with them presenting it in studio, with a little red cloth covering it

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
we've asked them all to bring in... the most delectable dessert, whoever you find has the most delectable dessert will receive five points and the winner of tonight's show will have a cake walk with all these tasty treats.

what did you bring in and why?

"candy bar wrapper"

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

TelevisedInsanity posted:

we've asked them all to bring in... the most delectable dessert, whoever you find has the most delectable dessert will receive five points and the winner of tonight's show will have a cake walk with all these tasty treats.

what did you bring in and why?

"candy bar wrapper"

"I have bought in a jar of sand from the Sahara desert. Because I haven't watched New Zealand Taskmaster Series 1".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The best prizes are the ones that affect Greg directly. “Who loses their trousers?!”

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

The_Doctor posted:

Season 9 continues. This glass sliding task is amazing, and Greg is having an absolute ball. :3:

Without spoiling too much, I think you've still not seen the best of Season 9 live tasks...

Watched the first episode of the new series of Bäst I Test, off to a fun start. They started with a remake of S12 hit Alex with a ball task, but they also combined it with the decoy assistants from the "Film Paul" task in TMNZ S2. It's a good addition.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
4 eps into UK14 and is John Kearns the worst taskmaster contestant in terms of successfully completing tasks yet?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Khanstant posted:

4 eps into UK14 and is John Kearns the worst taskmaster contestant in terms of successfully completing tasks yet?

I feel like either Jo or David would give him a run for his money, depending on how you define successfully completing tasks

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Oz TM continues to deliver.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Very harsh but fair judging from Bigger Tom this episode. He's probably handing out more disqualifications per episode than any other Taskmaster. Speaking of which, if there's one thing that doesn't quite work for me, I feel Tom's just a tad too mean. Greg has a similar curmudgeonly persona, but at least he tends to have a contestant he picks as a trouble pupil he secretly wants to succeed. Tom, on the other hand, is just merciless so far. His delivery is also less jovial than Greg's, so especially this episode, where everyone was pretty poo poo in most tasks, it was slightly over the top. Other than that, extremely happy with the show. The team tasks work extremely well for the teams they selected.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Dear lord, Tom literally crying in the rose task. May be one of my favourite moments in Taskmaster history.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Very harsh but fair judging from Bigger Tom this episode. He's probably handing out more disqualifications per episode than any other Taskmaster. Speaking of which, if there's one thing that doesn't quite work for me, I feel Tom's just a tad too mean. Greg has a similar curmudgeonly persona, but at least he tends to have a contestant he picks as a trouble pupil he secretly wants to succeed. Tom, on the other hand, is just merciless so far. His delivery is also less jovial than Greg's, so especially this episode, where everyone was pretty poo poo in most tasks, it was slightly over the top. Other than that, extremely happy with the show. The team tasks work extremely well for the teams they selected.

I think it's a learning process to be honest. Greg didn't start out as he is now and has changed it up quite a bit over the course of it, I guess we didn't have anyone to compare him to either.

Jeremy over on the NZ one is a little too random imo, he'll just go "the time for banter is over" and then dole out the points pretty randomly it feels but he's gotten better over the three seasons. I expect Tom will grow into it over time as well.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That AU episode is in the running for the episode I'll show people if they've never seen the show. Wonderful.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dangerous precedent, the task that explicitly specified you may not attack Tom implies that attacking tom is a valid strategy in other tasks

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It was funny that lesser Tom was so easily defeated by making the food disgusting, when we know that would have never stopped Alex.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

thebardyspoon posted:

I think it's a learning process to be honest. Greg didn't start out as he is now and has changed it up quite a bit over the course of it, I guess we didn't have anyone to compare him to either.

Jeremy over on the NZ one is a little too random imo, he'll just go "the time for banter is over" and then dole out the points pretty randomly it feels but he's gotten better over the three seasons. I expect Tom will grow into it over time as well.

Sure, I imagine they will take some feedback on board after Season 1. Tom started out much stronger than Jeremy, so I have high hopes for him.

Metis of the Hallway posted:

It was funny that lesser Tom was so easily defeated by making the food disgusting, when we know that would have never stopped Alex.

Alex has consumed some truly horrendous meals over the years, but I still doubt he'd eat something soaked in diluted piss. Eggs and spit, though? Not entirely out of the question.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Tom Cashman losing it during the rose task was amazing. You could tell he wanted to laugh so hard.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rose task was perfect.

Team of 3 is so much fun.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
everyone was so terrible at the rose task. great stuff.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

In the post-series livestream for TMNZ S2, they discussed an unaired task from that season: defend yourself against Paul's attack. Watching the popcorn task, I wondered whether this was an "reworking" of that unaired task, which presumably worked better on paper than in practice. If you wanted to go more route-one on fortifying the popcorn, I think duct tape would be the key. Secure the bucket in place, layer of tape on top, tape a blanket over it, tape a tarp over that, etc. Just make as many layers to unwrap as you can in 10 minutes.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see that task, the rose task, and the live task show up in the international versions in the next 12 months, all three are great briefs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Leo Ajkic might've overtaken Jo Brand in the race of "giving the least fucks about the tasks" by delivering a black picture because he forgot the blitz in the "take a photo of yourself in another time" task.
Lars Berrum on the other hand is clearly the designated idiot.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heavy_D posted:

In the post-series livestream for TMNZ S2, they discussed an unaired task from that season: defend yourself against Paul's attack. Watching the popcorn task, I wondered whether this was an "reworking" of that unaired task, which presumably worked better on paper than in practice. If you wanted to go more route-one on fortifying the popcorn, I think duct tape would be the key. Secure the bucket in place, layer of tape on top, tape a blanket over it, tape a tarp over that, etc. Just make as many layers to unwrap as you can in 10 minutes.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see that task, the rose task, and the live task show up in the international versions in the next 12 months, all three are great briefs.

When Danielle said she suspected Julia had a secret task to sabotage the team, maybe it was because she'd seen it happen in other versions. The longer TM goes on, the harder it will be to reuse tasks. You definitely can't reuse the rose task without completely changing the solution. The core idea of guessing multiple passwords is solid, though. The popcorn task can be updated by removing the edible component, like don't let the assistant pop a balloon or something like that. The studio task would work great even unaltered.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I can't remember how many NZ tasks have moved over to UK yet, but it seems that most of them have been tasks where there's no time to think, "oh yeah, this was NZ2." Both the milk jugs and the pockets live task just threw you in the deep end right away.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Only proper nerds like us and Ed Gamble will remember all the tasks of previous seasons. A significant number of the contestants don't watch any of it before they do it in any case so I think they're relatively safe repeating tasks from the other shows relatively unchanged and being fine with maybe 1 of the 5 knowing what's up.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

At least the English-language versions have a gentleman's agreement, the NZ/Aus versions only use original tasks. The UK version has ported a few tasks back, but the only "solvable" one I can think of had its solution heavily altered (eat the grape). On the other hand, the non-English versions port tasks wholesale almost all the time, and it seems like the language barrier seems enough to protect the secrets. The only time I've ever wondered about a contestant is Heino in Season 3 of Stormester (Denmark); the only way I could rationalise his many bizarre solutions was that he had seen a lot of UK Taskmaster before filming, and he intentionally subverted the solutions to tasks to avoid exploiting his unearned advantage.

If any assistants are reading this thread while weighing the option of remaking tasks, may I offer the following original task instead:

Presentation: task is attached to a metal bucket on a table in The Lab, flanked by two wet towels (Taskmaster Red if you can source them)

pre:
Wring water from the towels into this bucket.

Most water wrung from the towels into the bucket wins.

You have 10 minutes.

Your time starts now.
Dungeon-task-master's notes: The mangle from past series should be reinstated in the driveway prior to this task, so contestants may use it (the problem of collecting the water off the mangle into the bucket is left as an exercise)

Around the corner in the garden, washing lines with more soaking wet towels should be hung, but contestants must discover these unprompted.

Contestants should not be disqualified for using taps etc to re-wet the towels to wring more water out. Water that travelled indirectly from a towel to the bucket counts at the Taskmaster's discretion. Water added to the bucket that did not come from a wrung towel should not count towards the volume collected.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 3, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That rose task was brilliant.

That concrete sidewalk through the woods was odd, didn’t remember seeing that in the prior episodes or NZ season.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I think there's been glimpse of it. This is the house: https://hus.nz/, it's a wedding venue and whatnot, so it's setup for those 'instagramable moments' like the pier overlooking the e.coli lake, strolling through the woods, dangling buckets off the balcony...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

Only proper nerds like us and Ed Gamble will remember all the tasks of previous seasons. A significant number of the contestants don't watch any of it before they do it in any case so I think they're relatively safe repeating tasks from the other shows relatively unchanged and being fine with maybe 1 of the 5 knowing what's up.

Yeah I think the thing is that TM is big enough now that most UK comedians are aware of it and actively lobbying to get on it, but they are also busy enough that even if they do get on the show they don't really have time to study up on all the previous seasons + international variants. I think the most you get is people coming in with a bit of general knowledge about the tricks used on the show like "always look under the table" but remembering specific tasks, especially under time pressure, probably isn't feasible for most of them. I think the task writers are also generally good enough to know when a trick has been oversaturated and to stop using it. Like they keep the "the solution is hidden somewhere in the room" just rare enough that even when people think to try to look for one, most of the time it doesn't help, so they stop trying by the time it would have.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Heavy_D posted:

At least the English-language versions have a gentleman's agreement, the NZ/Aus versions only use original tasks. The UK version has ported a few tasks back, but the only "solvable" one I can think of had its solution heavily altered (eat the grape). On the other hand, the non-English versions port tasks wholesale almost all the time, and it seems like the language barrier seems enough to protect the secrets. The only time I've ever wondered about a contestant is Heino in Season 3 of Stormester (Denmark); the only way I could rationalise his many bizarre solutions was that he had seen a lot of UK Taskmaster before filming, and he intentionally subverted the solutions to tasks to avoid exploiting his unearned advantage.

If any assistants are reading this thread while weighing the option of remaking tasks, may I offer the following original task instead:

Presentation: task is attached to a metal bucket on a table in The Lab, flanked by two wet towels (Taskmaster Red if you can source them)

pre:
Wring water from the towels into this bucket.

Most water wrung from the towels into the bucket wins.

You have 10 minutes.

Your time starts now.
Dungeon-task-master's notes: The mangle from past series should be reinstated in the driveway prior to this task, so contestants may use it (the problem of collecting the water off the mangle into the bucket is left as an exercise)

Around the corner in the garden, washing lines with more soaking wet towels should be hung, but contestants must discover these unprompted.

Contestants should not be disqualified for using taps etc to re-wet the towels to wring more water out. Water that travelled indirectly from a towel to the bucket counts at the Taskmaster's discretion. Water added to the bucket that did not come from a wrung towel should not count towards the volume collected.

There is no limitation on moving the bucket.
Move bucket and one/more towel to a sink. Flow water through towels repetedly.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

smackfu posted:

That rose task was brilliant.

That concrete sidewalk through the woods was odd, didn’t remember seeing that in the prior episodes or NZ season.

It showed up, to my recollection, in the golf ball task and enchanted forest task from S3, and I wanna say the photograph Paul and multiple-character video (Matt's) from S2? I know I've seen it before, just not from that particular angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Supradog posted:

Move bucket and one/more towel to a sink. Flow water through towels repetedly.

See, I like that this is possible with the task, because it's a solution you could really debate in the studio. Imagine the reaction from a contestant who spent 10 minutes straining the last drop out of the towel without leaving the lab (someone will). Did you really wring all of that water out of the towels, or did it just flow off them? It does that uncommon thing where a seemingly objective task has an attempt that the Taskmaster has to subjectively insert into the rankings.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 4, 2023