Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Terper posted:

Datalogs, or as i like to call it, ACTIVE TIME LORE

lmao this rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've seen some people getting upset at YoshiP over some of his comments re:JRPGs and FF as a brand in various interviews like:
-Gematsu
-SkillUp

but honestly they're pretty interesting in full context. He outright says that he doesn't think FF should be pushed in any one direction as a brand, and instead each team should just make their own ideal FF, something Kitase imparted to him. He also talks about how at least in a certain place and time devs felt stereotyped by the "JRPG" label and how it was described, so games like FF16 are intentionally trying to break from them to display how broad FF and Japanese RPGs can be. So it's less that he's anti-turnbased and more that he thinks there's people who dismiss FF/JRPGs for all being like that and wants to reach them, which makes sense from a producer angle.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Like unborn children, every FF is perfect until they are brought into this horrible, brutish world.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

jokes posted:

Like unborn children, every FF is perfect until they are brought into this horrible, brutish world.

original Sin

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Terper posted:

Honestly I love the idea of RPG Pop Up Video.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

26 hits deep in my Smoking Sexy Fantasy combo and I get a prompt to read about how the third uncle of the Norf family sold their beloved chocobo to feed the family.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Honestly I love the idea of RPG Pop Up Video.

Now that "bwoop" sound effect is playing in my head

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amazon X-ray but for a goblin's backstory.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Born in the Third Age under a rare Blood Moon, Glorg trained to be a blacksmith in the Goblin Village of Nor-“

*loving explodes Glorg with my fire sword in 2.5 seconds*

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Terper posted:

:eyepop:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Terper posted:

wikis in shambles as I no longer have to pause the game to look something up, the game will figure out what I want for me

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Time to take the next step beyond ACTIVE TIME LORE and develop DEEP LORE ala dwarf fortress where I can get to increasingly specific events from hundreds of years ago for any given character.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Time to take the next step beyond ACTIVE TIME LORE and develop DEEP LORE ala dwarf fortress where I can get to increasingly specific events from hundreds of years ago for any given character.

"Strike the Earth" but it's the name of the stage where you fight Titan.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
active time lore is just the fuckin system from ff9 where it cut to a separate cutscene when you hit the button

none of this datalog bullshit give me little vignettes

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

jokes posted:

horrible, british world.

fixed that for you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Man, I am really unsure about Final Fantasy 16 and that is a lovely feeling. This is Final Fantasy, we are suppose to be extremely hyped. The character who provides all of the constant chatter, I wish they were voiced by Karl Urban's character from the Boys.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

game’s gonna own

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At least this game is stupid levels of beautiful looking. Jesus, Square went all out on the graphics engine.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Whatever the gameplay / systems, main line Final Fantasy will always be extremely pretty.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the normal boss fights look really cool and the eikon fight looks like it'll suck on replay. kinda whatever on qtes but they seem to mark phase transitions which is fine.

do think it's really funny how for both the boss fights they show they just find convenient ways to remove your party members

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

Whatever the gameplay / systems, main line Final Fantasy will always be extremely pretty.

It looks like it's basically adopting the gameplay from Forspoken, which doesn't surprise me. I was expecting all of the accessibility and combat systems from that game to make it over but improved upon. Especially since the combat director from Devil May Cry 5 is working on this title.

Vitamean posted:

the normal boss fights look really cool and the eikon fight looks like it'll suck on replay. kinda whatever on qtes but they seem to mark phase transitions which is fine.

do think it's really funny how for both the boss fights they show they just find convenient ways to remove your party members

If it's like Forspoken, then you'll at least get an option where you can just have the QTE's be instantly done for you or very simplified. I hate QTE stuff, they add nothing to gameplay.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I will be disabling the QTE stuff if I have the option.

It's strange because FF14 had good QTE stuff.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ff16 looks like it will own. When can I play this demo???

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The game looks nothing like Forspoken or FFXV.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Right? I hope this means we are getting a demo very soon because historically that happens. Also, the god drat wolf that chomps into the bosses neck and does a spin around her head, holy hit that was badass.

Mean Baby posted:

The game looks nothing like Forspoken or FFXV.

I mean, thank god it looks nothing like FFXV cause that would set off all sorts of red flags and siren alarms. But many of the combat systems and gameplay design from Forspoken are clearly coming over.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

jokes posted:

I will be disabling the QTE stuff if I have the option.

It's strange because FF14 had good QTE stuff.

is it the one where you have five seconds to press any button or the one where you have to mash for ten seconds straight

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You know it's serious time whenever FF14 wants you to whack that button.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

I said come in! posted:

Man, I am really unsure about Final Fantasy 16 and that is a lovely feeling. This is Final Fantasy, we are suppose to be extremely hyped. The character who provides all of the constant chatter, I wish they were voiced by Karl Urban's character from the Boys.

idk i'm fairly hype to play it in 16 months or whatever whenever it finally releases

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

fridge corn posted:

2-ish weeks before release. So sometime in June.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

parasyte posted:

idk i'm fairly hype to play it in 16 months or whatever whenever it finally releases

I'm buying it on release day no matter what! June 22nd! It looks like it won't be delayed too even. I mean you never know, but we are 4 months out!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

I said come in! posted:

I'm buying it on release day no matter what! June 22nd! It looks like it won't be delayed too even. I mean you never know, but we are 4 months out!

i don't have a ps5 and won't be buying one so the release date hasn't been set, but it'll be next year some time!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

But many of the combat systems and gameplay design from Forspoken are clearly coming over.
They're pretty clearly not. The two teams are entirely different and the Forspoken/Luminous Productions team are only now being absorbed into the rest of SE. There would have been no time for 16 to take from Forspoken. The combat doesn't even look similar in the first place so I don't know where this idea is coming from!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm pretty sure this has been in development way longer than Forspoken too.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The QTE stuff seems okay, on par with the Yakuza games. The one I really did like was for the big Titan aspected attack. It looks satisfying to get perfect timing on that and take out a chunk of health with a drill punch.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 28, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh wait, you get to play as a summon in one of the boss fights. lol never mind, all doubts put to rest it turns out. Game will own.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The stagger mechanic is still in FF16 from 13 and 15. Clive's shift strike is literally Noctis' warp strike. The combat UI for regular enemies is directly lifted from FF15 with health bars and the stagger meter underneath. They tightened up the attack animations by removing some of the delay. Some of the DNA is still there in the game play even if there's other features that expand and iterate on it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

The stagger mechanic is still in FF16 from 13 and 15. Clive's shift strike is literally Noctis' warp strike. The combat UI for regular enemies is directly lifted from FF15 with health bars and the stagger meter underneath. They tightened up the attack animations by removing some of the delay. Some of the DNA is still there in the game play even if there's other features that expand and iterate on it.

Yes, at least someone understands how game design works within such a massive game studio! Square has been modernizing their process for awhile now, they want to avoid another situation where a Final Fantasy takes multiple console generations to complete. And even then they still have work to do in this area. Multiple teams at Square worked together on all of these games released over the last two console generations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Dog looks good. Will buy

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

7R had the stagger mechanic too - it's basically a key aspect to the series' combat at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Professor Wayne posted:

Dog looks good. Will buy
"loving dog!"
- Benedikta Harman