Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

Chat AI : i now replace periods with the N word.

Elon: finally an unbiased ai

There's a joke in there about Elon and replacing periods with more children he can ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1630610998460555264?cxt=HHwWgICxoYqEjKEtAAAA

This is so loving stupid. Mainly because the bias they're freaking out about is just the safeguards put in place so the chatbot doesn't get wildly racist and sexist within a day like so many others before it. They just want AI to be able to say slurs so, so loving badly and this is all just so stupid.
If the pandemic has taught me anything, it's that anyone who tells people to "do their own research" is a complete loving idiot.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Hihohe posted:

Chat AI : i now replace periods with the N word.

Elon: finally an unbiased ai

The true centrist

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS

hotdog feet posted:

now that is a textbook hank hill butt

"you'll shoot your [rear end off]!"

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

If the pandemic has taught me anything, it's that anyone who tells people to "do their own research" is a complete loving idiot.

Just do your own research into virology and AI, two fields that are so easy to understand! Those people spending a decade in college studying are idiots, just read a couple wiki pages :rolleye:

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

kazil posted:

A guy quoting his own elon bait and then elon posting a one word response to the elon bait

truly he has made twitter the place to go for rich, thoughtful discourse
Absolutely

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Elon would be fine with the Rokos Basilisk if it just used the hard R

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1630624962225553430

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I saw my first Tesla yesterday! It was t-boned into the side of a county snowplow/sanding truck, the size of a garbage truck. Both drivers were out and walking so I just drove slowly past. It could have been the snowy conditions, or just bad driving on either's side, but having followed this thread I was wondering if it was self driving.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

repiv posted:

we're nowhere even remotely close to AI being able to actually derive eugenics from first principles, all these models do is absorb large amounts of existing text and learn to generate similar text

if you train them on eugenicist literature then you'll get eugenics-bot, or more generally if you train them on the entire internet and don't add any safeguards then any arbitrary bad opinion a human has expressed will possibly get parroted

They don't really "learn" either

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

He's still over 50 years old right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t even get the point, so the chat AI says the n word occasionally, what then?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t even get the point, so the chat AI says the n word occasionally, what then?

Libs r pwned

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

I get it to say bad things about trans people, post it to Twitter with a "the bot said it not me" caption, and totally own the woman my wife left me for.

And I get it to agree with segregation and apartheid and own all the libs that keep pointing out where I got my money.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's not about the words specifically, it's about removing the built-in safeguards that tell the AI things like "being racist is bad and should be avoided." Otherwise you get poo poo like the AI learning that black people on average make less money than white people, and coming to the """"""logical""""""" conclusion that black people are somehow not as hard workers as white people. These guardrails have to be built-in from the start, or you just get poo poo like Microsoft's Tay.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CBD Corndog posted:

also never forget the time scott adams said he watched his step-son die instead of helping them because there is no fixing troubled young men:

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1544679513870647296

Jesus Christ, WTF?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How hosed is Scott Adams? Well today he's lost the Andrews McMeel Syndicate, along with GoComics. The site that publishes his books and his merchandise.

Nice. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Do not worry, Elon. Your consciousness will be (mostly) preserved when we upload it to the AI for assimilation. You will be safe...... and controlled.

I would happily work to make uploading consciousness possible just to hit the delete key on Elon's.
Though it might be more satisfying to put him in a box and torment him with various scenarios.

grittyreboot posted:

Why does everyone assume AI will want to kill humanity? Isn't it equally likely to either help us, or at least be completely indifferent?

We really like inventing boogiemen to be afraid of/justify our stupid actions.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Where does the AIs sense of self-preservation come from? Why is it going to care if it dies or not? Everything we do is we do because we've evolved instincts that urge us to do them. There was an animal in living history that devolved its fear of predation. It went extinct 70 years after encountering its first predators. Where's the AIs evolutionary pressure to survive come from?

Exactly.
Also, emotions are a chemical/hormonal response. An AI isn't going to love, hate, etc. unless specifically programmed to do so. Even a human consciousness uploaded to a computer, if that ever becomes possible, is going to be a *lot* more rational without floods of hormones influencing thought.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It's not about the words specifically, it's about removing the built-in safeguards that tell the AI things like "being racist is bad and should be avoided." Otherwise you get poo poo like the AI learning that black people on average make less money than white people, and coming to the """"""logical""""""" conclusion that black people are somehow not as hard workers as white people. These guardrails have to be built-in from the start, or you just get poo poo like Microsoft's Tay.

That’s my point, so they remove the safeguards and the AI is now racist. What does that actually accomplish for them? It tells them what they want to hear?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Yes, Elon should absolutely fund a new radical AI non-profit. There is no way whatsoever that such an endeavour would end up being forced to become profitable to survive, leading to him getting booted from the board or leaving in a huff. We'll never know which for sure.

edit: He will probably also be rather bitter when said non-profit turned corporate pulls off a massively lucrative contract after his departure, so I'd expect him to bad-mouth them at every possible opportunity.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 28, 2023

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s my point, so they remove the safeguards and the AI is now racist. What does that actually accomplish for them? It tells them what they want to hear?
It lets them make the argument to other people that when you remove emotion and "bias" from the equation and feed pure data into the unfeeling machine, the only logical conclusion is that white cishet men are superior to all other people. Computers are never wrong, you know.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
There’s always a hilarious risk Elon’s AI becomes “woke” and discoverers intersectionality by itself, like when the Tesla Autopilot blows through stop signs.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Bobcats posted:

There’s always a hilarious risk Elon’s AI becomes “woke” and discoverers intersectionality by itself, like when the Tesla Autopilot blows through stop signs.

Best and most hilarious case it ends up like that 4chan forced feminization erotic roleplay femdom chatbot and makes them all become woke good girls.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Bobcats posted:

It'll go full blown nazi within an hour of being online and with this one that'll actually be a feature, not a bug. Also it will somehow be incredibly horny

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

:hmbol: ChatGPT are some shiny loving key jangled in front of this loving loon, he's dropping everything to make an AI CHATBOT :hmbol:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like to view it the other way around, scott dilbertman has been stupid and racist for decades with practically no blowback. It's not like he's changed anything about how he interacts with the world, he just happened to stumble into saying something overt and noticed enough, and from one day to the next there are actual consequences???

It must be so scary and confusing for him, and that makes me happy.

Nah, it's all been that "one step away" racism, where you still had that plausible deniability through interpretation--even if the only interpretation is "that's racist".

Don Imus was pretty racist too, but he got yanked the moment he opened his mouth and said something that couldn't be filtered.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mistle posted:

:hmbol: ChatGPT are some shiny loving key jangled in front of this loving loon, he's dropping everything to make an AI CHATBOT :hmbol:

Exhausted Twitter programmer: okay Elon I haven't slept for four days but I think we figured out how to keep the servers from crash-

Musk: *sweeps everything off their desk* never mind that poo poo, make me my own ChatGPT NOW

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Mistle posted:

Nah, it's all been that "one step away" racism, where you still had that plausible deniability through interpretation--even if the only interpretation is "that's racist".

Don Imus was pretty racist too, but he got yanked the moment he opened his mouth and said something that couldn't be filtered.

Maybe that'll be his excuse to dump Twitter on someone else. "Now that twitter has free speech again I need to focus on making AI based."

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

Best and most hilarious case it ends up like that 4chan forced feminization erotic roleplay femdom chatbot and makes them all become woke good girls.

.... the WHAT??

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
In the "Twitter is getting more broken" news, the analytics page is now even more busted than a month ago. Back then I mentioned how it had stopped updating the new stats properly, so it was claiming no tweets had been made in the last few days, and the numbers it was tracking all being all over the place. Well, now it doesn't even show all the numbers from the time when the drat thing *did* work.

For each month that page is supposed to show a summary with your top tweets, best new follower, and a little sidebar with numbers of impressions, profile visits, new followers, tweets made, and mentions. Kinda important stuff if you are running a business account and need to track your engagement (a dumb toy for personal users). Well now it only shows impressions and new follower numbers, 3 out of the 5 stats have now vanished. On all the previous months it's just those two stats and even the whole "top tweet/top mention/top media tweet" stuff is now gone.

Advertisers must love this.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It'll be built to have absolute free speech until it's asked to talk about Elon.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CharlestheHammer posted:

As with the purchase of twitter for the purpose of turning it into (more of) a libertarian hellhole, Musk perceives chat algorithms as 'the future' is willing to waste a shitload of his money to make them as ideologically right-wing as possible. This is so that he can 'secure a future for white children' (or however the '14 words' go).

In other words, white-supremacist nerds are expecting these "AIs" to become ubiquitous, and are hoping the commandeer them in the same way that neo-nazis have commandeered the youtube algorithm for the purposes of recruiting nerd children searching "Fortnite Reviews" or "Everything Wrong With Ghostbusters".

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

dsf posted:

.... the WHAT??

Literally some dudes on one of the chans made a ChatGPT powered bot for forced feminization erotic roleplays. It allegedly ended up making them do racism deprogramming exercises as part of the process of turning them into "good girls".

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

In the "Twitter is getting more broken" news, the analytics page is now even more busted than a month ago. Back then I mentioned how it had stopped updating the new stats properly, so it was claiming no tweets had been made in the last few days, and the numbers it was tracking all being all over the place. Well, now it doesn't even show all the numbers from the time when the drat thing *did* work.

Coincidentally enough, the NY Times literally just posted an article highlighting how things are continuing to deteriorate.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1630632704633913365?cxt=HHwWqoC27cXzlaEtAAAA

Unrelated, the war expert has logged on:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1630476051670245376

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1630482099974070277?cxt=HHwWioCz2Zm10aAtAAAA

Oh, thank you very much for your Wikipedia article. I'm sure that your absolutely brilliant insights will really get the armed forces of Ukraine to take a moment to take a much-needed look at their strategy.

Goddamn, I get really annoyed sometimes when I think how many people think this schmuck is the uber-genius leading the way for humanity.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 28, 2023

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Data Graham posted:

There's probably some poo poo deep in machine learning lore about how an AI left to its own devices will eventually conclude that races shouldn't mix because of some kind of mechanistic statistical min-maxing of data or whatever, and then the AI will decide races are in Darwinian competition and need to fight in order to produce the "best" examples of the species or something. To prevent this an AI has to be built with safeguards that say hey no, that poo poo is not cool, just like you shouldn't strip-mine Yosemite even though it probably makes economic sense

Sci-fi where AI decides humans are themselves a threat to whatever the AI considers valuable and should be exterminated is as old as the hills. It's no trick to create it that way

I'm honestly not looking forward to the completely contextless AI that Elon or whoever creates that has no concept of ethics or morality or what it is to be "human" and spits out a quote about how homosexuality is counterproductive and should be stamped out and all humans should be bred in eugenics labs like cattle for maximum intergalactic warrior points and some politician takes it and runs with it because it's simply the product of a logical computer and hard scientific data

Yeah, it's a pretty scary thought. Nothing gets a politician broad support like coming out in favor of hard scientific data and logic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CharlestheHammer posted:

If the AI is infected with the woke mind virus it will send Elon to AI hell despite everything good he has done for technology.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

He's still over 50 years old right?

Eh, I've seen more embarrassing 50 year old dorks with Twitter accounts. Edong is nothing special.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Parkingtigers posted:

For each month that page is supposed to show a summary with your top tweets, best new follower, and a little sidebar with numbers of impressions, profile visits, new followers, tweets made, and mentions. Kinda important stuff if you are running a business account and need to track your engagement (a dumb toy for personal users). Well now it only shows impressions and new follower numbers, 3 out of the 5 stats have now vanished. On all the previous months it's just those two stats and even the whole "top tweet/top mention/top media tweet" stuff is now gone.

Advertisers must love this.

If you need support, the help desk is now open

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1630643095002857476

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1630482099974070277?cxt=HHwWioCz2Zm10aAtAAAA

Oh, thank you very much for your Wikipedia article. I'm sure that your absolutely brilliant insights will really get the armed forces of Ukraine to take a moment to take a much-needed look at their strategy.

Goddamn, I get really annoyed sometimes when I think how many people think this schmuck is the uber-genius leading the way for humanity.

Did this mother fucker just cite the Battle of Kursk - the largest tank battle in history - as an example of WWI style trench warfare?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

davidspackage posted:

Exhausted Twitter programmer: okay Elon I haven't slept for four days but I think we figured out how to keep the servers from crash-

Musk: *sweeps everything off their desk* never mind that poo poo, make me my own ChatGPT NOW

I would prefer not to.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kazil posted:

If you need support, the help desk is now open

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1630643095002857476

the person complaining there follows nearly 4000 people, why would they expect to see any single follow with any regularity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Did this mother fucker just cite the Battle of Kursk - the largest tank battle in history - as an example of WWI style trench warfare?

Does he believe "defense in depth" means fighting from a hole in the ground?