Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

are ham radio operators friends

The purist form of friendship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Mouthfeel, problematic, ludonarrative dissonance, parasocial relationships, crack-ping

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Cuttlefush posted:

gonna start calling lurkers parasocials

been doing this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

gonna start calling lurkers parasocials

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

para = sort of
social = social

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Getting really sick of hearing the word parasocial thrown around eveywhere these days

gettong strong parasocial vibes from this post

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
People quoting my posts is all the evidence I need that our relationship is not parasocial.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
parasocial is a good word for the mysterious accounts that haven't made a post in 15 years but still file reports

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Mouthfeel, problematic, ludonarrative dissonance, parasocial relationships, crack-ping

These are all fun words to say, they have great mouthfeel.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Cellar door

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
go suck a gently caress

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Getting really sick of hearing the word parasocial thrown around eveywhere these days

Ricky: Lucy's all pissed cuz I was doing pen pals with some chicks online while I was in Jail. She says it's a Parasailing Relationship, which is hosed cuz I've never even been on a boat.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Ricky: Lucy's all pissed cuz I was doing pen pals with some chicks online while I was in Jail. She says it's a Parasailing Relationship, which is hosed cuz I've never even been on a boat.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

vyelkin posted:

parasocial is a good word for the mysterious accounts that haven't made a post in 15 years but still file reports

shame them, make them defend themselves in forums court

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i think by definition a parasocial relationship is like when some guy named stinkfinger87 keeps a spreadsheet of the meals you post on insta but also youve never heard of him

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

if they then mail you that spreadsheet, then thats just regular stalking

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Did you know that Twitch streamer isn't your friend? Hats parasocial and hosed up

felix is my friend

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

love hanging out with my friends nick, adam, brace, and liz on wednesdays

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

learning a lot about social dynamic itt

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

Posting in the same thread about the same topic while knowing nothing about one another personally doesn’t make you friends. That’s weird parasocial poo poo to think so.

bro, we're also twitter mutuals though!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Posting in the same thread about the same topic while knowing nothing about one another personally doesn’t make you friends. That’s weird parasocial poo poo to think so.

I just saw that this is a real post someone made in SAD, which in turn made me sad

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I heart every post I see from u

Anyways, that SYQ just struck me dumbfounded. Like when GBS goons were discovering the concept of friendship after the boxing day blowup.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

I just saw that this is a real post someone made in SAD, which in turn made me sad

Former D&D mod iirc

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

when does jef wake up and reopen sad i wanna see more psycho posts about cspam

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A parasocial relationship is when people got really invested in John Mulaney having a happy marriage right

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

360 views on my "Gold Star" suggestion thread! must be getting passed around in PMs, people are very excited to discuss this idea.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

A parasocial relationship is when people got really invested in John Mulaney having a happy marriage right

yes, it's when you form a one-sided relationship with some kind of celebrity or whatever, because you consume content that you think gives you an insight into their life and personality. You feel like you are their friend, but they don't even know you exist.

Posting on an internet forum with other people who post back at you is the opposite, it's just a social relationship.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

most of my posting pals are dead so im reopening applications at this time

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

vyelkin posted:

that guy used to be a mod in d&d ~_~

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Former D&D mod iirc

they're all so bitter lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

that guy used to be a mod in d&d ~_~

we can't hold it against them too much then, it makes sense that someone would come away from that thinking that a bunch of people posting in the same forum being "friends" would be weird

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

dnd is for enemies only

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

lol

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

KirbyKhan posted:

The purist form of friendship

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

tristeham posted:

they're all so bitter lol

I think modding d&d would gently caress me up so I’m not going to judge

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
imagine the reports

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

imagine the reports

one time i went into the report forum and there were like 30 D&D reports in a row

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I think modding d&d would gently caress me up so I’m not going to judge

why?

just punish the ones you disagree with, simple as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if I were mod of D&D, I'd make all of the logical fallacies probatable, minimum 24Hr. EXCEPT for Ad Hominem, which is encouraged