Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Was it gauntlet?
That's plausible, thanks.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Could it be Golden Axe?
Too new, looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's plausible, thanks.

Too new, looks like.

The classes fit but did you say it was a side scroller?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

The classes fit but did you say it was a side scroller?
One of the attract mode screens had this animation of them walking sideways, whatever the game itself was like could have been anything honestly.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Flipperwaldt posted:

One of the attract mode screens had this animation of them walking sideways, whatever the game itself was like could have been anything honestly.

Here’s the full attract mode

https://youtu.be/caSKBmwK2SQ

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sounds like you're conflating Gauntlet and Golden Axe

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Was there a medieval game that split the screen like Xenophobe that it could be? I have a faint memory of such a thing but that could just be old brain

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Oh yeah that's the stuff. I don't see the image I had in my head, but the voice synthesizer is giving away that this is the game they had. Amazing, thank you.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Wizard is about to die

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yes, God yes

Thank you so much

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Grassy Knowles posted:

Was there a medieval game that split the screen like Xenophobe that it could be? I have a faint memory of such a thing but that could just be old brain
You could be thinking of Zwackery, the best arcade game ever that absolutely nobody remembers or ever talks about

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Arven posted:

Back in the 90s in an issue of PC Gamer there was a full page ad for a Mafia themed game that looked like a combination of a RTS on the strategic level with tactical x-com like combat. It implied you could do stuff like have some of your gangsters firebomb a business as a distraction while another group attacked a rival gang. I have no idea what it was called.

A this point I think it's likely that either this game was never made, or I have played it and they cut out 90% of the features and I didn't recognize it.

You might be looking for Gangsters: Organized Crime. It's available on GOG: https://www.gog.com/en/game/gangsters_organized_crime

Edit: was already solved a couple of pages later. But if you want to play a more modern version check out Omerta: City of Gangters or Empire of Sin.

engessa fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 19, 2023

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

If there's a like 'find me an SA thread' thread maybe this would be better for that

For future refence https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257 but the lost/forgotten stuff threads tend to end up pretty interchangeable

Killingyouguy! posted:

another lost SA thread is an E/N thread by a guy who'd never celebrated christmas before and needed to know what people's traditions were so he could make christmas special for his boyfriend

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519501

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Polsy posted:

For future refence https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257 but the lost/forgotten stuff threads tend to end up pretty interchangeable

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519501

Thank you!!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Holy poo poo, this Christmas advice thread! :kimchi: times infinity~

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Someone on these forums I'm almost certain and pretty sure it was PYF was talking about how they used to live in scotland (glasgow likely?) back in the day and they used to stockpile wood for some bonfire celebration in every neighborhood and as kids they'd try to go around and steal other neighborhood's wood or at least set it on fire prematurely. It was kinda funny and seemed a pretty esoteric detail. It might have sprung up from people talking about the gavle goat

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
O.K. time for another one someone will probably immediately find, but I keep looking through cat videos and cannot find it

There was a video I watched maybe 5 years ago and the basic concept was that there are two kinds of cats, breaking down to basic types of "barely sentient lump" and "constantly-terrified sprinting demon" or similar (those are my summaries, they did not necessarily refer to these types as lumps and demons or anything).

Honestly the only thing I remember, besides the basic types, was that the video kept listing different ways to test if you had the first kind of cat, showing all the different methods you could use when trying to annoy it and get no response whatsoever, one of which was "pixie/pixy tickle" which was just rubbing the cat's nose as it stared at you unbothered. I still occasionally text "pixie tickle" to someone as a result of that video, so it is infuriating that I have not been able to re-find it for years now.

On the plus side searching my watch history for this video was how I realized YouTube only stores like the last 18 months of watch history because they cannot possibly do anything useful for YOU with their infinite data

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've had that happen before. Slightly more understandable is people deleting videos especially listings for real estate and stuff once the check clears. I found these incredible apartments in nyc but that video's long gone and good luck finding a single roof deck with a greenhouse combing through google earth

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

BrutMcD's current av is thsi:

.... but they used to have one that looked like this:

Thanks again goons, consider this dream achieved. My spouse hates it, lol.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Owns. Also Sever

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scam Likely posted:

Thanks again goons, consider this dream achieved. My spouse hates it, lol.

Holy poo poo, lmao :chanpop:

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

If anyone is curious, it's literally the avatar JPEG. I ran it through a free AI upscaler, boosted the resolution in Photoshop, then designed and ordered it via Printful.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The sheer totemic posting power of wearing a t shirt with someone else's avatar...unreal.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Somehow this feels like identity theft

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Scam Likely posted:

If anyone is curious, it's literally the avatar JPEG. I ran it through a free AI upscaler, boosted the resolution in Photoshop, then designed and ordered it via Printful.

Do you have a link to the upscaler? I need to do a very similar thing to make a shirt.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I'm looking for a novel or maybe a short story from around 2000-2005 about a Lunar colony cut off from Earth by a Kessler syndrome event. The colonists have to scramble to survive but develop a way to become self-sufficient.

Does anyone know what it's called?

mr_mojo
Mar 12, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

I'm looking for a novel or maybe a short story from around 2000-2005 about a Lunar colony cut off from Earth by a Kessler syndrome event. The colonists have to scramble to survive but develop a way to become self-sufficient.

Does anyone know what it's called?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seveneves by Neal Stephenson is very much about Kessler syndrome stuff, but the people surviving it aren't on the moon and it wasn't published until 2015, so may well not be it.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
They could be on Mars, but I'm pretty sure it's the moon.

This is a good reminder to pick up Seveneves, a lot of people love it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In the early 90s we had some school assembly, some feel good bullshit thing if I remember correctly.

Three screens were set up in our auditorium and played some multimedia thing that I don't even remember what it was about. I do seem to recall did some thing where it flashed up words and images on the two side screens as the main center screen was doing actual video, frequently pulling tricks were it looked like one solid image on the three screens combined.

It probably had a "Right Here, Right Now" vibe to it, maybe some hints of early extreme sports stuff (I'd date it around 1990-1993) but it seemed so generic 'feel good' that I'm struggling to figure out what it even was.

I'd be curious if anyone else even had something that sounded similar to this come to their school in that time.

I don't think this was an Up With People thing, but it might have been. I don't really recall much of a 'live performer' component.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

In the early 90s we had some school assembly, some feel good bullshit thing if I remember correctly.

Three screens were set up in our auditorium and played some multimedia thing that I don't even remember what it was about. I do seem to recall did some thing where it flashed up words and images on the two side screens as the main center screen was doing actual video, frequently pulling tricks were it looked like one solid image on the three screens combined.

It probably had a "Right Here, Right Now" vibe to it, maybe some hints of early extreme sports stuff (I'd date it around 1990-1993) but it seemed so generic 'feel good' that I'm struggling to figure out what it even was.

I'd be curious if anyone else even had something that sounded similar to this come to their school in that time.

I don't think this was an Up With People thing, but it might have been. I don't really recall much of a 'live performer' component.

I remember something like this that had a clip from the X-Files episode “Oubliette,” which I remember because I was hugely into X-Files at the time. It was the scene where David Duchovny does cpr to revive a drowned girl. This would have been maybe 1998, but I remember the three screens very clearly. There was some kind of generic inspirational text on the ones to the side.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

there've been all sorts of those, or else the same one reworked and rerun over the years, just presentations meant to look cool and deliver generic "don't do drugs, be happy about your lot in life" messages to kids

i saw at least two of them, one in first grade, one in like tenth or eleventh

the high school one was definitely triple screens, the first grade one might have been

the first grade one required three-d glasses

the high school one showed a couple segments of bill plympton's "how to quit smoking" (the blender scene kinda traumatized me) and had a couple of us leaving the auditorium going "huh, was that the new pearl jam single?" and shortly thereafter learning that creed was a thing that existed, unfortunately

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Growing up I was huge fan of those CYOA books, Fighting Fantasy of course but stuff like Virtual Reality and Knightmare as well.

Now I am a primary school teacher and with world book day coming up I thought a cool thing I could do with my students is run them through a CYOA with maybe a prize if they can clear it. I am certain a few years ago you could find tons of classic CYOAs on websites you could play in the browser but I'm struggling to find them now.

Do you goons know of any websites (not apps) hosting some of the classic CYOAs for free? Failing that, do you know of any CYOAs hosted online that aren't too long/hard I could run?

Additionally, for myself, does anyone know the name of a CYOA for young readers that is about going to mars to retrieve a toaster? Sort of a kids sci fi parody where you're getting the toaster for the queen of space or something, on of the bad endings had you cleaning the floors of the royal kitchens which were so huge you'd die of old age before you'd finish.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

Growing up I was huge fan of those CYOA books, Fighting Fantasy of course but stuff like Virtual Reality and Knightmare as well.

Now I am a primary school teacher and with world book day coming up I thought a cool thing I could do with my students is run them through a CYOA with maybe a prize if they can clear it. I am certain a few years ago you could find tons of classic CYOAs on websites you could play in the browser but I'm struggling to find them now.

Do you goons know of any websites (not apps) hosting some of the classic CYOAs for free? Failing that, do you know of any CYOAs hosted online that aren't too long/hard I could run?

Additionally, for myself, does anyone know the name of a CYOA for young readers that is about going to mars to retrieve a toaster? Sort of a kids sci fi parody where you're getting the toaster for the queen of space or something, on of the bad endings had you cleaning the floors of the royal kitchens which were so huge you'd die of old age before you'd finish.

The internet archive’s open library has a bunch of them up https://openlibrary.org/collections/CYOA

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Arivia posted:

The internet archive’s open library has a bunch of them up https://openlibrary.org/collections/CYOA

This is an excellent start, thank you. I'm not familiar with any of these but are there any you recommend? The underwater one looks like a possible good choice but considering the age of some of the books I'm worried about the potential for inappropriate content.

It also seems like you can only use a book for an hour? Is that a limit for the day because that'll be a problem when I'm running this for multiple classes across the day.

I'd swear there was somewhere on the internet that you could straight up play Lonewolf or Fighting Fantasy for free in your browser, including rolling your dice etc.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

CheeseThief posted:

This is an excellent start, thank you. I'm not familiar with any of these but are there any you recommend? The underwater one looks like a possible good choice but considering the age of some of the books I'm worried about the potential for inappropriate content.

It also seems like you can only use a book for an hour? Is that a limit for the day because that'll be a problem when I'm running this for multiple classes across the day.

I'd swear there was somewhere on the internet that you could straight up play Lonewolf or Fighting Fantasy for free in your browser, including rolling your dice etc.

Project Aon is the Lone Wolf site, has some related ones up too.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Project Aon is the Lone Wolf site, has some related ones up too.

Just checked project aeon, definitely the kind of thing I was looking for but Lonewolf is probably not suitable for a 45 minute slot. Too much character creation etc.

But I do appreciate all the help so far! If the open library is limited to one book having more options is good for a backup.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

hexwren posted:

there've been all sorts of those, or else the same one reworked and rerun over the years, just presentations meant to look cool and deliver generic "don't do drugs, be happy about your lot in life" messages to kids

i saw at least two of them, one in first grade, one in like tenth or eleventh

the high school one was definitely triple screens, the first grade one might have been

the first grade one required three-d glasses

the high school one showed a couple segments of bill plympton's "how to quit smoking" (the blender scene kinda traumatized me) and had a couple of us leaving the auditorium going "huh, was that the new pearl jam single?" and shortly thereafter learning that creed was a thing that existed, unfortunately

I mainly remember the music. One played Republica's "Ready to Go" and another used the B-52s "Roam." Roam is the only B-52s song I really dislike because whatever assembly it was pretty much looped it to go along with whatever terrible message it was. It's been 20+ years and I still negatively associate that song with the assembly.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arivia posted:

holy gently caress

how is this a thing, and how did i not know about it

man, there's so many books i loved and had forgotten about. no idea if they held up at all, but i have a lot of good memories looking at those covers

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay, so...

There's this old video game, that I can't remember the name of. It was a side-scroller and the plot had something to do with castles and saving a princess or some fantasy poo poo like that. Ninjas may have been involved too although I'm fairly sure the castle element at least was European style. I THINK it was a SNES game, but it may have been Sega Genesis.

Anyway,

The thing I remember most about this game is that it had these stages (I think one of them was the very first stage in the game) where you were outside running on top of a castle wall or something. I remember it because the background music sounds eerily similar to part of the lava stage music from Donkey Kong Country 2. The part that starts around the end of the 0:17 mark in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTEuL3jltQ0

Like ever since I was a little kid I remember playing DKC 2 and thinking the Hot Head Hop music was based on this other song, because they sound so similar.

Does anyone know the name of this other game I'm thinking of? This has been bugging me for YEARS.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ninja crusaders maybe? I can't remember any particular song, nor really the stages at this point

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNuxeIf6dro

a castle stage. don't think so. Kinda cool tune tho

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Super Castlevania 4 maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUJzuVJo74&t=60s