Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just looked it up because I thought it was the factorial (!), but that's multiplication instead of addition.

Apparently the official name is Triangular Number https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_number

See also Termial Function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Could you plug one set of speakers into two sources and run them simultaneously? Like, hypothetically, if I had two sound systems but only one set of speakers and I wanted to run them both at the same time for some reason. And if it would work, what would it sound like? Would the audio signals, like, combine weirdly or cancel out or something, or would it just sound like playing two things at once using two apps on a computer?

This is how most people play electric guitar to music - in this case I use a mixing deck in the middle to help balance the sounds but for both electric drums and electric guitar I have them coming through the same headphones that are playing songs on my computer so that I can play along to them. If I skipped the mixing deck it would still work I'd just have less control over relative volumes for different devices.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tesseraction posted:

This is how most people play electric guitar to music - in this case I use a mixing deck in the middle to help balance the sounds but for both electric drums and electric guitar I have them coming through the same headphones that are playing songs on my computer so that I can play along to them. If I skipped the mixing deck it would still work I'd just have less control over relative volumes for different devices.

Neat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I used a stationary bike for 75 minutes today, and it estimated that I went the equivalent of 21 km but only burned 317 kcal (1326 kJ). Whereas on my actual bike I usually manage about 20 km in around 60 minutes, and the diet and exercise tracking app I use puts that at about 1800 kJ (430 kcal). So is one of them wrong or is there some other reason for such a huge discrepancy?

Also: why does the stationary bike feel like so much more effort - especially if it's actually using less energy? On a day like today, if I'd gone for a bike ride I wouldn't expect to be even slightly sweaty by the end of it, but within 20 minutes on the stationary bike I looked like I'd been dunked in a pool. What's up with that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Could be that one is measuring the actual work produced by pedaling (at the machine level), while the other is looking at your heart rate and converting that to calories. The former is probably more accurate?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I used a stationary bike for 75 minutes today, and it estimated that I went the equivalent of 21 km but only burned 317 kcal (1326 kJ). Whereas on my actual bike I usually manage about 20 km in around 60 minutes, and the diet and exercise tracking app I use puts that at about 1800 kJ (430 kcal). So is one of them wrong or is there some other reason for such a huge discrepancy?

From what I understand calorie burning estimates are basically guesses unless you're wearing a heart monitor and the app has a lot of detailed info about you.

Tiggum posted:

Also: why does the stationary bike feel like so much more effort - especially if it's actually using less energy? On a day like today, if I'd gone for a bike ride I wouldn't expect to be even slightly sweaty by the end of it, but within 20 minutes on the stationary bike I looked like I'd been dunked in a pool. What's up with that?

Are you using a fan? Lack of air flow makes a big difference. Also riding in the real world has periods of coasting and cruising while on a stationary bike it's usually constant steady effort because otherwise it feels like you're wasting your time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've got a stationary bike where the only information that is registered is full rotation of the pedals. The resistance setting is mechanical and is not taken into account. Yet it presents me with a number of calories expended. It's a useless fiction. Now if it had the resistance setting and my heartbeat, it would be a better guess, but it still doesn't know if I'm a heavy smoker with a resting heartbeat of 110 or something. A fitness app could know the actual distance you did and the time you did it in, but will not know if you pulled a 50kg bike trailer while you did it or not. Whether it was done on concrete or a sandy beach. There's just no way it can be anywhere near accurate.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Assuming that the estimates are roughly accurate as each other, which is probably a complete lie, the answer is that one is stationary and one is not. When you're on a non-stationary bike you expend extra energy pushing the air out of the way as you ride; in addition, the wind that that generates helps with the evaporation of sweat. Can't find a good equation for that but there's a research paper on water conservation via a monolayer in iran that seems to say that a 20mph wind increases evaporation to 1.5x the non-wind value, and evaporation pulls a lot of heat (1 teaspoon of sweat >= 300 calories if I'm doing the math right - ~40C for body temp, 100C for boiling, 5 grams of water per teaspoon, 1 calorie heats 1 gram 1 degree C, so (100-40)*5 = 300 calories).

The wind chill calculator: https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_windchill is only valid for 50F and below but plugging in 50F/20kph says that that cools you about 5F, which is pretty significant for human comfort; alternately, it's saying it cools 760 watts/m^2, and given that the average surface area of an adult male is ~1.9m^2 we can handwave that the wind on a bike conveniently cools about 750 watts, which ain't nothing.

In addition, if you're in a room using the bike and there's no fan, your breath and sweat is creating your own little humidity zone around you, and evaporative cooling is very dependent on how much humidity is in the air - just ask anyone who lives in New Orleans.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
E: NVM, I'll ask in the Android Thread.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 28, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

In addition to what others are saying about both being wrong the stationary bike is going to feel like more effort because on a regular bike you have cycles :dadjoke: where you're getting a little break as you slow down for something, get a tail wind or head down hill. They might not be much of a break but the constant pushing on the gym bike is basically always going to feel like more effort than a real bike. Assuming you have gears on your bike too you can tailor them to the speed you're going rather than just slogging it out at what ever resistance the bike is at.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Would it be better to do one or the other, or is that a personal preference type of thing?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's more important to do something that you like and that fits in your schedule and budget than to worry about chasing some optimal program.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah theoretically you make a more controlled and tailored workout on a stationary bike, but both are perfectly good forms of exercise and some people (incl me) find stationary bikes extremely boring and find riding a real bike outside, in contrast, very fun and also a practical way to get around. Other people like stationary bikes more and good for them imo

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'll say going outside is generally good for mental health, but if cycling infrastructure simply isn't there it could lower your life expectancy. So it depends.

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica
If you're interested in becoming a bodybuilder then you should optimize your workout, if you're just interested in being healthy then any activity that raises your heart rate is going to be helpful. The longer and more that you do it the better, so if you pick something you enjoy it'll do you the most good.

Cycling outdoors isn't the safest thing if you live in most of North America though, I dunno if I'd recommend it as a general matter of health. Depends where you live.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

CyprianLatewood posted:

If you're interested in becoming a bodybuilder then you should optimize your workout, if you're just interested in being healthy then any activity that raises your heart rate is going to be helpful. The longer and more that you do it the better, so if you pick something you enjoy it'll do you the most good.

Cycling outdoors isn't the safest thing if you live in most of North America though, I dunno if I'd recommend it as a general matter of health. Depends where you live.

fap for five hours a day, got it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I want an app that will let me push a button and have my phone beep at 5 minutes, then at 7 minutes. Is there an app that will let me do that?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

I want an app that will let me push a button and have my phone beep at 5 minutes, then at 7 minutes. Is there an app that will let me do that?

Any of the billion tabata timer apps will let you set a whole lot of custom time ranges. They're more for sport intervals but will work for what you want.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

alnilam posted:

some people (incl me) find stationary bikes extremely boring and find riding a real bike outside, in contrast, very fun and also a practical way to get around.
I certainly find riding a real bike less boring, but on the other hand I can't watch TV while I'm riding a real bike. I can listen to podcasts though, if it's not too windy. It's a dilemma.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh nice, stationary bike chat. I just got a resistance trainer for my bicycle that I'm planning on putting to use tomorrow.

That said, space is at a premium in this room and even standing up against my workout equipment, the bike takes up slightly too much of it. So I'm looking around the room for solutions and noting that there is quite a bit of space at one corner of the room, in front of these cupboards/closets(?):

I don't want to bolt anything into them if I don't have to, but what I'm wondering is if there's some solution I can hang over the cupboard doors. The closest analog I can think of is one of those towel racks you hang over your bathroom door, but obviously more robust with extended arms that can accept a full-size bicycle.

Does that make sense, and sound like something that exists? Or is there another similar option I can explore?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I’d be really surprised if closet doors like that were up to supporting the weight of a bicycle.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hmm, perhaps you're right. They feel pretty sturdy to me though, they go all the way down to the floor and have four strong hinges per side. The closets are also ones I never open; my bed is right in front of them. I'm still looking for a solution in that space because it's the only space I have.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I assume something like this is a no-go because you'd have to bolt it into the ceiling?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, possible but probably not. I don't exactly trust my ceiling or my own ability to put bolts into it securely.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, possible but probably not. I don't exactly trust my ceiling or my own ability to put bolts into it securely.

Drilling into joists is way easier than any sort of dark magic engineering you would have to do to turn a closet accordion door into a bike support system

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-bike-racks-for-home.html

Bunch of options here.

If you can locate joists in the ceiling the j hooks are great. Otherwise maybe that free leaning rack might be narrow profile enough for you.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK, so you're gonna laugh, this is janky as gently caress and it may just come out of the wall and collapse on me while I'm sleeping tonight, but check this out:

I took one of the free-leaning racks from the hallway, sandwiched it between my bed frame and the wall, and put a screw and washer through the door to hold the top firmly against it.

Obviously this is not a permanent solution - as I said above it's probably straight-up unsafe - so I'm still looking for something more sturdy and permanent... and slightly higher-up. As you can see there's only about two and a half feet of clearance from the bike tire to my bed. You can probably tell from these room pictures that I like cozy, but I don't like that cozy. And, once again, it's got to be more secure.

I explored a local bike shop and asked the clerk what he thought, and he showed me some options but all were either too close to the wall to clear the handlebars, or a different kind of mounting solution entirely... the only 'door-hanging' options were the kind that hang your bike by the wheel. Actually now that I think about it something like that might work; if you can see the grey roof support strut in the top of the second photo, theoretically if I could mount something secure to that I could have the bike hanging vertically against the wall and avoid the cupboard doors altogether.

So I'm getting somewhere, but right now it looks kind of ridiculous.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a biological reason I get so hungry in the evenings and just eat a tonne of food? I have a fairly active office job with a lot of walking between departments or going on field visits. But I'll typically only have a big mug of tea in the morning with one sugar and that will keep me going until lunch time. I'll then eat a normal lunch and then carry on the rest of the day until I'm home at around 5pm. But between 5pm-10pm, I just can't stop putting food back.

Have I conditioned myself into intermittent fasting or what? I never seem to have an appetite except when it's the evening time. I'm not overweight, for what it's worth. It's just weird how I can go most of the day without thinking about food, but once I'm home, all I can think about is the next meal.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Do all smells diffuse through air at the same rate?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

OK, so you're gonna laugh, this is janky as gently caress and it may just come out of the wall and collapse on me while I'm sleeping tonight, but check this out:

I took one of the free-leaning racks from the hallway, sandwiched it between my bed frame and the wall, and put a screw and washer through the door to hold the top firmly against it.

Obviously this is not a permanent solution - as I said above it's probably straight-up unsafe - so I'm still looking for something more sturdy and permanent... and slightly higher-up. As you can see there's only about two and a half feet of clearance from the bike tire to my bed. You can probably tell from these room pictures that I like cozy, but I don't like that cozy. And, once again, it's got to be more secure.

I explored a local bike shop and asked the clerk what he thought, and he showed me some options but all were either too close to the wall to clear the handlebars, or a different kind of mounting solution entirely... the only 'door-hanging' options were the kind that hang your bike by the wheel. Actually now that I think about it something like that might work; if you can see the grey roof support strut in the top of the second photo, theoretically if I could mount something secure to that I could have the bike hanging vertically against the wall and avoid the cupboard doors altogether.

So I'm getting somewhere, but right now it looks kind of ridiculous.

Add more zipties.

No, more.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Mister Speaker posted:

OK, so you're gonna laugh, this is janky as gently caress and it may just come out of the wall and collapse on me while I'm sleeping tonight,
Hope you're ready to wake up tired.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mario posted:

Hope you're ready to wake up tired.

I sat up right into this one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Long shot but does anyone know if there's anyway to get Discord notifications from the webapp on my phone without logging into the same account that's on in the browser? All my googling leads to the opposite way, getting notifications to show up in a server.

The situation is that my work idiotically decided to use Discord for our communications. I have a personal Discord but don't want to mix it up in my work's server so I use a separate account. I'd like to leave my phone logged into my personal Discord but also get notifications on my phone for work messages.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dokmo posted:

Do all smells diffuse through air at the same rate?

Diffusion depends on:
The concentration difference, so a stronger source with more molecules will diffuse out faster
The diffusivity, which depends on molecule size among other things

So different smell molecules of different sizes will diffuse at different rates, and a stronger source will diffuse out faster too.

Also your nose is more sensitive to some smells than others such that fewer molecules are more smellable so that will affect the perceived rate in a way

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tuyop posted:

Long shot but does anyone know if there's anyway to get Discord notifications from the webapp on my phone without logging into the same account that's on in the browser? All my googling leads to the opposite way, getting notifications to show up in a server.

The situation is that my work idiotically decided to use Discord for our communications. I have a personal Discord but don't want to mix it up in my work's server so I use a separate account. I'd like to leave my phone logged into my personal Discord but also get notifications on my phone for work messages.

If you have an android phone you can use Shelter or App Cloner to install a second parallel version of the discord app, so one can be your personal account and one can be your work account.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you have an android phone you can use Shelter or App Cloner to install a second parallel version of the discord app, so one can be your personal account and one can be your work account.

That would be great but I'm on iOS :(

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Do termites like to take up residence in old ant hills?

I used some powdered ant poison on some fire ant hills in my yard which did the trick but also made my yard stink. So after a could of weeks I dug up the old ant hills and was surprised to see what looked like a termite. Dug further down where the soil was still moist and sure enough it had lots of termites in it. Same story with another ant hill in my yard.

Now I know termites are just out there in the wild but seeing them this close to my house makes me think I need to see about some termite treatment.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tuyop posted:

That would be great but I'm on iOS :(

If you sign in in Safari (and enable notifications for it), do you get notifications ?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

McCracAttack posted:

Do termites like to take up residence in old ant hills?

I used some powdered ant poison on some fire ant hills in my yard which did the trick but also made my yard stink. So after a could of weeks I dug up the old ant hills and was surprised to see what looked like a termite. Dug further down where the soil was still moist and sure enough it had lots of termites in it. Same story with another ant hill in my yard.

Now I know termites are just out there in the wild but seeing them this close to my house makes me think I need to see about some termite treatment.

I don’t know about the ant hill question but if you find them in your yard you should probably at least get a termite inspection. And go around your house and make sure no mulch or wood is piled against it, and you have a couple runs of block visible between the ground and siding (or whatever the house is clad with).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Qubee posted:

Is there a biological reason I get so hungry in the evenings and just eat a tonne of food? I have a fairly active office job with a lot of walking between departments or going on field visits. But I'll typically only have a big mug of tea in the morning with one sugar and that will keep me going until lunch time. I'll then eat a normal lunch and then carry on the rest of the day until I'm home at around 5pm. But between 5pm-10pm, I just can't stop putting food back.

Have I conditioned myself into intermittent fasting or what? I never seem to have an appetite except when it's the evening time. I'm not overweight, for what it's worth. It's just weird how I can go most of the day without thinking about food, but once I'm home, all I can think about is the next meal.

This sounds like a pretty typical example of how your body loses energy over a day. So the biological reason is your body is seeking nutrients.

You can mitigate this either by having a slow-release energy breakfast, or a more filling lunch, or both.