Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

I haven't really looked at Elementalist/Warrior/Ranger/Thief but from what I've seen so far the booster gear is most useful to Engineer and Guardian for splashing into healing in strikes/fractals.

Hardstuck has booster builds for every profession (though not every elite spec). Cele gear is strong, just not generally the best min-max option. Here's one for ranger, for example: https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/ranger/booster-untamed/

jokes posted:

Most of the time, level-appropriate gear is like a few silver while leveling up, and you'll level up loving Quick.

You'll level up quick regardless, and honestly, I wouldn't waste the money buying <80 gear if it's one of your first characters. If it isn't one of your first characters, you probably won't be levelling anyway since you'll have hundreds of level-up books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Cele is arguably the best for open world for any class, just because it provides a bit of everything including sustain. It also gives you many options for builds across different templates in one character. Although runes can be an issue.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

..btt posted:

Hardstuck has booster builds for every profession (though not every elite spec). Cele gear is strong, just not generally the best min-max option. Here's one for ranger, for example: https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/ranger/booster-untamed/

You'll level up quick regardless, and honestly, I wouldn't waste the money buying <80 gear if it's one of your first characters. If it isn't one of your first characters, you probably won't be levelling anyway since you'll have hundreds of level-up books.

I was referring to who got the most potential benefit from continuing to use cele. Firebrand/Condi mech are on the expensive side to gear and can put in decent not-quite-dedicated healer jobs. Pre-80 who cares just use what you found on the way. I think when my guardian hit 80 I still had level 60 gear in some slots.

Since it'll be my third character, who already has built-in sustain and will immediately be put into mostly el cheapo zerker gear immediately at 80, my rev won't be getting that boost. Unfortunately that applies to pretty much everything I'd roll at this point so I have no idea what I'd actually blow the final boost on. Maybe a Scourge? :v:

Meskhenet posted:

So need a group doing it about 8ish est (australian time) ><

My personal theory is that there's probably around 2000 of us. Of those, about 100-200 are interested enough in PvE to actually do strikes/fractals/raids. Every single one of them has tried starting them, has spammed lfg refreshes, and seen that only with great effort and ignoring the rest of the game while camping that list can you get a group for anything during that timeframe. So you've got a couple hundred willing people so burned by the lovely LFG, barely one step removed from spamming public chat in town like it's 2004, that they just stopped bothering.

I'm showing up at 07:00 on Friday for my first raid with goons.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

I have no idea what I'd actually blow the final boost on. Maybe a Scourge? :v:

Ah, gotcha. Generally condi gets the most out of cele, so bear that in mind. Hopefully you're generating enough cash now that you can just buy/craft more gear though! Scourge is definitely super strong, though not in huge demand for PvE groups outside of a few special roles.

Mailer posted:

My personal theory is that there's probably around 2000 of us. Of those, about 100-200 are interested enough in PvE to actually do strikes/fractals/raids. Every single one of them has tried starting them, has spammed lfg refreshes, and seen that only with great effort and ignoring the rest of the game while camping that list can you get a group for anything during that timeframe. So you've got a couple hundred willing people so burned by the lovely LFG, barely one step removed from spamming public chat in town like it's 2004, that they just stopped bothering.

I'm showing up at 07:00 on Friday for my first raid with goons.

Have you tried the discords? I imagine there are more than 200 aussies interested in end-game group content, but probably only like 5% of them use LFG. If that. There's gotta be a good number of nocturnal NA players too. Really, not many people use LFG, especially in NA, because as you say, it's a bit poo poo. I think you're spot-on about the lack of LFG groups driving less engagement with it.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I'm in one of those raid-focused mega guilds. Right now there's openings on the following groups (all times PST):

quote:

- Wed 6:00 PM 8/10 PoF Progression [US]
- Sat 6:00 PM 9/10 HoT Progression [US]
- Sat 10:30 AM 8/10 HoT Progression [EU]
- Sun 9:00 AM 6/10 HoT Progression [EU]
- Sat 7:00 PM 9/10 EoD Strike CM Progression [US]
- Tue 9:00 PM 7/10 PoF Progression [US]
- Fri 6:00 PM 9/10 PoF Progression [US]
- Thu 12:00 PM 7/10 HoT Progression [EU]
- Mon & Sun 4:00 PM 9/10 Competitive [US]
- Thu 5:00 PM 8/10 PoF Progression [US]
- Tue 11:30 AM 6/10 PoF Progression [EU]
- Sat 6:00 PM 9/10 PoF Progression [US]
- Tue 11:30 AM 0/10 HoT+PoF Progression [EU]

Additionally, they all advertise only on their discord when they want fills; if all you did was camp LFG then you would never know.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol they put my dog into guild wars 2. Okay technically my dog is a different breed (Japanese Spitz), but the only difference is size. Both breeds are jerks.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Celestial is good for any open world build that has at least some condi damage in the mix.

For pure power builds I think a mix of marauder, dragon, and berserker is likely better. Just use sigils, runes, and consumable options for extra sustain if needed.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

The new meta is bugged or they extremely under tuned it. Either way, super not worth it, it's probably <=5g a hour from my mothball estimations.

It may genuinely be less rewards than wvw lol

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Has the new zone hit?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I like how the patch notes say “we’ve adjusted WvW rewards” and then provide 0 detail

Orv
May 4, 2011
Pray we do not alter them further.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like I’d rather stack toughness on warrior (or other high health classes) but the weird threat mechanic where some dudes target the highest toughness person is real stupid

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Going after high toughness is only in a handful of raids. There’s no threat prioritizing based on player stats anywhere in general PvE as far as I’m aware.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

whydirt posted:

Going after high toughness is only in a handful of raids. There’s no threat prioritizing based on player stats anywhere in general PvE as far as I’m aware.

Threat is based on a number of factors and varies based on the particular enemy, but anecdotally I seem to be targeted more often when in defense-oriented gear. WvW tower and keep champions love to go after me whenever I'm running my trailblazer/apothecary set, which is annoying for my party because I tend to run around a lot.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The patch is rathter underwhelming, after a year long draught I really was expecting a little bit more :(

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It doesn't seem like many people consider "re-adding the chopped up, poorly aged, largely disliked season 1 story" as much content to add to the game in a 1 year timespan.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I liked the living story re-release

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I understand why they felt like they needed to re-include it in the game in some form for the Steam launch but stretching it over an entire year was, quite honestly, a huge mistake. Going from EoD, which was honestly pretty drat good and well received, to a 10 year old jank that was never that interesting in the first place killed a lot of the momentum they had.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
The new meta is extremely underwhelming. Some of the events in the new map are also very tedious. The one where you revive bots and then kill them drags on forever.

Just to add to this: I'm not sure why they added the filter mechanic. It seems so... lacklustre?

DoNotFeedTheBear fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 1, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just a heads up, the New Kaineng jump puzzle chest got stealth nerfed and went from once a day per-character jade runestones to once per-account a day, jade runestones went from <30s to 80s.
Would recommend adding the 3 lower right echovald canopy guaranteed jaderune chests as a 1 minute farming loop or 3 alts parked on them if you lack good flight options, meanwhile I got to find somewhere else to park some unused characters.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 1, 2023

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I agree kinda with the above.

Boss fights are just hp sponges. Maps arent that good, though i havent explored it all.
Keys cost way too much, but i guess they are trying really hard to get rid of mats.

Filter mechanic is stupid.

Hey here is a free one that lasts 30.

or you can PAY for one that lasts 20......

No they dont stack.. yes the last one will overwrite the better one, is there a problem?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Is anyone else having full sets of exotic PVP gear randomly appearing in their inventory?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
General player vibe seems to be disappointment in the half a new map and how it was a year's wait for about 30-60 minutes of content and no new masteries or enemy types, mostly comparing it to drizzlewood meta but with worse rewards and fights.

Maybe the map will be better received in 3-4 months with the next half of it and probably would of been received as "fine" if it came 3 months after EoD's release instead of a full year.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 1, 2023

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

El Fideo posted:

Is anyone else having full sets of exotic PVP gear randomly appearing in their inventory?

its your pvp stuff. happened to me,

just got to pvp lobby and back outs, stuffs gone.

Edit-

Drizz is a seriously well done map. It balances reward with time, you can drop in, drop out.
Only real issue is wanting to just do south, and trying to find a new map.

This new map is more like dragonstand.

Im not a fan, but maybe in a few months like you say

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 1, 2023

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

New meta is designed in some truly mind boggling, stupid rear end ways.

To explain, you can get up to 50 keys or so a day from events, then an additional 50 keys from the vendor (plus however many you choose to sink research notes into, which is a bad decision). Each standard chest gives 2 greens and 2 green gems, with a chance at a yellow gem. Ancient chests add an additional 1 green, and 2 yellow. There's also a chance for a luxon weapon box but those kinda rare (i got like...one from 3 metas) and crashing in price already. This means by far the only chests worth buying keys for are ancients, given it costs between 8.7 to 20~ silver per key, but there's a problem with that we'll get into in a sec.

First of all, it's only about 20~ gold per hour if you're there from the start, which is already in and of itself bad. Then, most of the profit comes at the end, as ancient chests only spawn from the final boss and the four champions afterwards - they also give you enough keys to open all of said ancient chests. Combined with no participation mechanic, and hopping around for near-final maps to leech is by far the best way to get anything out of this meta. And given the boss gives enough keys to open all their ancients, yeah. Probably not even worth your time though because you're only getting about 30~ yellows out of it, and probably in total about 4 gold for 10-15 minutes wroth of time. Barely better than tequatl at best.

Additionally, you can only start the meta on a fresh map if at least ten people are there, but it's on no timer. So you're basically hosed outside of prime time when this dies down. Additionally, you'll be hosed if you don't at least have a few people with siege turtles who understand where they're needed, as there's no loaner mechanic (AND bonus you need people to hop into the siege turtles, as most of the destructible can only be hit by siege shots.).

Also the final boss is designed in a stupid fashion because you need to kill three of them at the same time, otherwise you're punished with a endless `kill mobs to keep them from blowing up` phase until the remaining bosses are killed. But you aren't given info on what the HP is of the other islands!! Because it's split up into three events, so your optimal play at the final phase is to go and tag all three bosses when they're at their final phase for a bonus 10 favors.

Finally there's some 'bases you leave behind upgrade tiers' mechanic but as far as I can tell your only reward for them is a once per day exchange of 3 favors of X province for 5 of each type, so basically 40 free favors per day. Which is nice I guess, but again, you can just hop into a completed map and leech these so lol.

Basically even if you're sweaty and leech this, it's incredibly not worth your time compared to any of the good metas, fractals, or fishing.

oh yeah and as a bonus even on a relatively fast final boss, the 'better' filters won't last long enough to finish the fight. which isn't a problem because the majority of the loot is from chests, which magic find does not work on. also most of the enemies are of the 'gives zero drops and zero exp' variety so.

lol. lmao.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 1, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Story spoiler this is what, the 11th? 12th? time that something made you hallucinate your dead mentor? I hope the second part is about the commander finally going to therapy so Anet no longer has a excuse to drag Tybalt out yet again.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's just an easy and cheap way to get some hype with the playerbase since the devs know that those characters were almost universally loved, especially the one you mentioned.

Sure as hell more memorable than the EoD side characters.

I think at this point I'm finally ready to move on, there's a new story / map release but I don't feel like logging on at all. Especially with people saying how mediocre everything is.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It never hurts to take long breaks from GW2 between their slow update pace, I've taken long breaks in the past during bad points of season 1 and 3 and only came back because rollerbeetles were awesome, also missed the launch of EoD despite pre-ordering it because it competed with the launch of Elden ring and that was a really easy choice which one to play.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Meskhenet posted:

I agree kinda with the above.

Boss fights are just hp sponges. Maps arent that good, though i havent explored it all.
Keys cost way too much, but i guess they are trying really hard to get rid of mats.

Filter mechanic is stupid.

Hey here is a free one that lasts 30.

or you can PAY for one that lasts 20......

No they dont stack.. yes the last one will overwrite the better one, is there a problem?

The filter stuff seems like it was designed with a mastery in mind to let you ignore it eventually. But there's no new masteries in this release and there aren't even mastery points available for the achievements so lol.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I don’t really care if a new meta is optimal gold/hour if it’s fun to do and maybe has some unique rewards.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Overall, I'm whelmed. It's a really nice map and the level design team did a fantastic job. The meta isn't terrible, but the boss zerg at the end if kind of easy. Player trains melt the bosses in 1 min each. The story campaign can be finished in maybe an hour, which is probably for the best because they've never been Anets strong suit. The respirator gimmick is great because you can't afk farm mobs in the caves like everywhere else in the game.

What I don't like? It feels half done in terms of content. Like I mentioned, the level team did an awesome job making the zone and it all feels really nice. Even the use of ziplines feel organic and useful. But there's no griffon races or roller beetle races. There's no bounties either. Outside of EoD masteries, there's nothing tying in the other expansions.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Maybe the map will be better received in 3-4 months with the next half of it and probably would of been received as "fine" if it came 3 months after EoD's release instead of a full year.

that_shaman commented how the map is at max size already, unlike Bjora, so they can't add more area to it.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I was actually pretty surprised that there don't seem to be any jade bot offense / defense boosts on the map, despite there being batteries everywhere like other EoD maps. You just spend charges on the weird filter and that's it.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
New map/meta is legitimately the worst open world PvE content they've ever introduced in the entire span of this game.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
like holy poo poo this is what they follow up a year long drought/re-introducing the worst villain with rofl

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
It was just pointed out to me that the entrance to the new map is the train tunnel in new kaineng. But that doesn't make any sense. This is clearly a ship loading dock. The cranes are on train tracks the facilitate moving the large loads onto the barges. But that in and of itself makes even less sense. If the trains are returning from the mining fields, why would they use the same tracks as the loading cranes? It will just cause an accident some day. Also it means the cranes can't unload the trains and onto the barges.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

AmbientParadox posted:

It was just pointed out to me that the entrance to the new map is the train tunnel in new kaineng. But that doesn't make any sense. This is clearly a ship loading dock. The cranes are on train tracks the facilitate moving the large loads onto the barges. But that in and of itself makes even less sense. If the trains are returning from the mining fields, why would they use the same tracks as the loading cranes? It will just cause an accident some day. Also it means the cranes can't unload the trains and onto the barges.

maybe since it's all illegal brotherhood jade mining you're hiring a coyote to sneak you there and back?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

AmbientParadox posted:

It's New Kaineng, man. They built it wrong, as a joke.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

AmbientParadox posted:

The answer is a Jade Tech wizard did it

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

I don't think it's near their best, but it's far from bad given the plethora of LS1 & LS2 maps competing for that title. At the very least it's not confusing to navigate, the rewards are at least decently compelling, and it's pretty/enemies are neat enough.

Actually upon thiniking about it a bit further, the worst has to be Domain of Kourna. Kinda incomplete, bad meta, no reason to go back, and it has the least useful material out of all the living stories. You can't even get accessories with it, only plaguedoctor insignias/inscriptions. Somehow less useful than hatched chillis, which at least turn into cheap food. That's ignoring the bad core maps of course like Snowden Drifts, which are more excusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Little PSA, after you finish the meta on the new map go and fish in the sparkly lake afterwards with shrimplings, guaranteed legendary fish, up to 4 fishing spots per day.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 1, 2023