Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Konomex posted:

Did they bother future proofing that cap? Or is it just a hard cap, lazy government sort of deal?

What do you mean by future proofing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

Maybe the cops have changed

change from within

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Senor Tron posted:

What do you mean by future proofing?

Presumably indexing the cap with inflation. Chalmers said the $3m limit won't be indexed

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

PalaNIN posted:

Presumably indexing the cap with inflation. Chalmers said the $3m limit won't be indexed

Yeah this. 3 million is a lot these days, but when I was a kid 1 million was insane. When my old boss first started working he made $1000 a year. When my Nan left school she worked for half a pound a day. The current medicare rebate is poo poo, but when it was introduced it was a reasonable amount. Now many GP's can't afford to bulk bill unless they ran factory style practices.

It's lazy government to set a monetary cap on anything, all costs or limits should be indexed to something.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Breakfast Burrito posted:

yes that's the bit of your post that is funny

"without any polling who's to say whether queer people and cops get along"

Even if "no police at pride" were a unanimous 100% view within the queer community I would still think it lovely of a non-queer politician to put themselves centre stage like this. I don't think Thorpe would be (or should be) copping anywhere near as much flak if she weren't straight.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

freebooter posted:

Even if "no police at pride" were a unanimous 100% view within the queer community I would still think it lovely of a non-queer politician to put themselves centre stage like this. I don't think Thorpe would be (or should be) copping anywhere near as much flak if she weren't straight.

You really are moving goalposts here but I honestly think it's good ol' fashioned racism and the intersection between Lidia being on the "left" while also ruffling the feathers of some progressives by swinging out against the Voice. She ate poo poo from conservative media about the protest at pride and it seemingly has latched a bit in more progressive circles maybe because there's some hurt feelings and this is an easy target.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I don't like the way she goes about things/feels about the voice but you at least have to respect her guts

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

freebooter posted:

I don't think Thorpe would be (or should be) copping anywhere near as much flak if she weren't straight.

she still would cop a lot of flak over it it's just a fair bit messier than it could have been

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Recoome posted:

You really are moving goalposts here but I honestly think it's good ol' fashioned racism and the intersection between Lidia being on the "left" while also ruffling the feathers of some progressives by swinging out against the Voice. She ate poo poo from conservative media about the protest at pride and it seemingly has latched a bit in more progressive circles maybe because there's some hurt feelings and this is an easy target.

lefties out there that were unhappy with the greens shenanigans, but felt uncomfortable raising it, finally have an outlet

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

"decorum!" shouts the man chained to a tree.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I am offended Albo didn't wear any glitter to pride

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hambeet posted:

"decorum!" shouts the man chained to a tree.
It's generally a woman, but OK.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Pleasant Friend posted:

I am offended Albo didn't wear any glitter to pride

He was munted though

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
Generally speaking, queer politics is in a twilight right now where there exists a tension between LGBTQ people who place their struggle in a wider context of social equity and those who view queer rights as an underserved part of a liberal project. The former are going to be far more hostile towards a police presence than the latter, but the latter are more affluent and in greater positions of power within queer institutions, and as such get to dictate how these events are run. If they decide that cops get to be at Pride, they have the institutional power to push it through and shrug off whatever discomfort everyone else shares.

The problem is that I think, for as much as people don't want cops at Pride, there's an understanding that queer rights are under threat: the right are getting more rabid and radicalised over the increasing normalisation of queer people, and when the worst of them are elected, as we see in America, their rights are significantly curtailed. In these circumstances, I can't help but see the courting of liberal institutions, corporations and law enforcement as a strategy to find patrons that will protect queer people from harm.

Now, it would be foolish to assume that's uniform protection - it would mostly be for the benefit of affluent, white queer people - but at a time when the steady advancement of queer rights is under threat by a rabid reactionary force that thinks they're rapists and monsters in disguise, I think it's going to be an uphill battle to say that institutions like Pride should dismantle the police floats and tell the big sponsors to go away. The fear is that we are simply too weak to alienate... not allies, exactly, but partners of convenience whose co-opting of our struggle allows them to launder their own crimes, but also gives us mainstream legitimacy and protection from the horrors that would drive us into the grave. That's not a good position to be in, and it's an indication that we need to build institutional power of our own separate from cops and suits, but I'm not sure if we're doing that well enough.

To be honest, I'm somewhat glad we're talking about this rather than kink at Pride.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I mean I think you bring a very interesting perspective but I’d disagree with the idea that the queer community is courting cops as an institution. Police are still very overtly hostile to queer people and the rationale is we shouldn’t be inclusive to institutions which are very exclusive or outright dangerous to the queer community.

You don’t see the cops marching as part of Invasion Day or May Day (unless they do? I don’t think they do but could be wrong!) not because they wouldn’t be important partners/stakeholders to these respective groups but because they are usually the shits who cause issues/break up protests.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I wonder if Lidia Thorpe is going to end up following a bit of a Tulsi Gabbard trajectory.

I admit I haven't followed too closely so hopefully am way off the mark.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Recoome posted:

I mean I think you bring a very interesting perspective but I’d disagree with the idea that the queer community is courting cops as an institution. Police are still very overtly hostile to queer people and the rationale is we shouldn’t be inclusive to institutions which are very exclusive or outright dangerous to the queer community.

You don’t see the cops marching as part of Invasion Day or May Day (unless they do? I don’t think they do but could be wrong!) not because they wouldn’t be important partners/stakeholders to these respective groups but because they are usually the shits who cause issues/break up protests.

I should clarify again that I'm making a distinction between the queer community and queer institutions, the latter of whom I propose are the well-to-do ones leading efforts at rapprochement with cops and business. I don't disagree that cops are dangerous to the wider queer community, or that their presence at Pride is an unwelcome one - but I think the institutions that run events like Pride work with them to secure a certain degree of safety, according to the fears that I mentioned before.

It also helps(?) that the goals and motives behind a Pride rally are different than those at an Invasion Day or May Day rally. Pride is inherently an event meant to present a community to the mainstream and say 'we are not a threat, we are just like you, we belong in society and do not deserve the indignities we are subject to by being forced outside of society.' They're not a direct challenge to the way that society works when compared to Invasion Day (which inherently challenges the legitimacy of the current government; sovereignty, after all, was never officially ceded) or May Day (which challenges the ideological underpinning of that society), so they can court the existing institutions of power much easier. Hence, cops break out the floats for one rally and the truncheons for the others.

Having said that, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that for as much as the wider queer community doesn't want cops at Pride, that cops can be there in the first place suggests that there are institutional forces in this society willing to publicly support us - albeit rhetorically and conditionally, and in a way which can seperate us from that wider struggle I mentioned earlier. I think if there was a grassroots push to get rid of the Raytheon sponsorship and throw out the police floats, we would risk losing that institutional patronage and be forced to contend directly with the elements of society that despise us and wish us dead - and my fear, that I may be projecting on the wider community and certainly believe exists in our institutions, is that we are not ready to survive that lack of protection.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I wonder if Lidia Thorpe is going to end up following a bit of a Tulsi Gabbard trajectory.

I may be misremembering but I think Gabbard is an amoral, power hungry, political opportunist Modi worshipper that grew up in and may still be involved in some kind of cult. I think Lidia Thorpe would struggle to get on that level. She probably has beliefs but is a born poo poo stirrer unsuited to party politics

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

It's generally a woman, but OK.

problematic

lih
May 15, 2013

Bucky Fullminster posted:

don't see anything to suggest that's particularly likely

thorpe is a radical who wants indigenous sovereignty and self-determination. she can be a volatile personality and her radicalism made her a difficult fit for party politics where some level of compromise and negotiation is necessary, but she cares about causes outside her own and the right has nothing to offer her except money so it's hard to see her taking any sort of reactionary turn.

gabbard is a political opportunist who was raised in a right-wing hindu cult and had a long history of being a social conservative before she pivoted a decade ago, and has obviously since pivoted back. her commitment to progressive positions was always fairly hollow - she claimed to be anti-war while still being pro-war-on-terror and regularly went on fox to denounce obama for being soft on islamic terrorism etc., and you could see her more firmly reactionary shift coming a mile away.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EoinCannon posted:

I may be misremembering but I think Gabbard is an amoral, power hungry, political opportunist Modi worshipper that grew up in and may still be involved in some kind of cult. I think Lidia Thorpe would struggle to get on that level. She probably has beliefs but is a born poo poo stirrer unsuited to party politics

That kind of personality type has its own problems but yeah, Gabbard had a lot else going on which was pretty obvious once you took a closer look.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Aight cool then

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sierra Madre posted:

I should clarify again that I'm making a distinction between the queer community and queer institutions, the latter of whom I propose are the well-to-do ones leading efforts at rapprochement with cops and business.

"My wealth will surely protect me!" from any kind of minority is always bleakly funny.

Some people never learn from history and are surprised as hell when they find the jackboot on their neck. "But I thought we were friends?"

I'm an old gay man with many run-ins with the cops growing up and my position is simple: if the cops want a spot in Pride they can _start_ with a formal apology over their historic (and continuing) abuses. And they would need to implement serious reform for how they treat minorities.

And that's an absolute minimum for most LGBTQIA+ people I know to even begin to be willing to consider starting a dialogue on their inclusion. Well, for anyone besides the Australian versions of Three Olives that is.

Cops want in? They can loving earn it.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 1, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

https://qnews.com.au/brisbane-pride-decides-on-uniformed-police-in-pride-march/

a few years ago the brisbane pride march did actually ban uniformed police from marching, but have decided to allow them back in after successfully getting an apology for 'historic mistreatment'. that was at least something but certainly not enough, not when it's still an active problem

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I can definitely understand the desire to align yourself with institutional power as some form of protection against a very real threat, but imo a float at pride won’t make cops so much as blink before joining their mates in the far right to stomp on some minorities the second they get the chance.

imo progressives tend to massively overestimate how much their enemies give a poo poo about being seen as hypocrites or inconsistent

lih
May 15, 2013

i never really see the debate framed in those terms from people in favour of cops marching for pride, just 'what about the gay cops?' 'the cops have changed they're good now' 'not all cops are bastards' etc.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
It boils down to not understanding what acab means.

All cops, under capitalism, are bad. Their role is to violently enforce the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie. Hence even the cute gay cop that directs traffic to the tune of abba is bad despite never having directly touched an aboriginal person.

So it's simply supporters and attempted reformers of capitalism vs. revolutionaries.

Thorpe is not a revolutionary.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"My wealth will surely protect me!" from any kind of minority is always bleakly funny.

Some people never learn from history and are surprised as hell when they find the jackboot on their neck. "But I thought we were friends?"

I'm an old gay man with many run-ins with the cops growing up and my position is simple: if the cops want a spot in Pride they can _start_ with a formal apology over their historic (and continuing) abuses. And they would need to implement serious reform for how they treat minorities.

And that's an absolute minimum for most LGBTQIA+ people I know to even begin to be willing to consider starting a dialogue on their inclusion. Well, for anyone besides the Australian versions of Three Olives that is.

Cops want in? They can loving earn it.

I agree and it needs to come from the Police Union itself, not the management. The political leadership can say how much they want the cops they manage to be as part of the community they are policing all it wants but I wont believe they are successful for a second until a majority of beat members vote a resolution to the effect you describe.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Sierra Madre posted:

Pride is inherently an event meant to present a community to the mainstream and say 'we are not a threat, we are just like you, we belong in society and do not deserve the indignities we are subject to by being forced outside of society.'

I mean that's one interpretation of Pride but it's neither inherent nor foundational. The foundational Pride parades were a statement of "we are different and we will not be forced to disappear nor hide that difference, we will parade through your public spaces with joy and without fear".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, Pride is Pride because it's the opposite of shame.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sierra Madre posted:

Pride is inherently an event meant to present a community to the mainstream and say 'we are not a threat, we are just like you, we belong in society

Yeah so why are cops allowed to participate again?

lih
May 15, 2013

Ranter posted:

It boils down to not understanding what acab means.

All cops, under capitalism, are bad. Their role is to violently enforce the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie. Hence even the cute gay cop that directs traffic to the tune of abba is bad despite never having directly touched an aboriginal person.

So it's simply supporters and attempted reformers of capitalism vs. revolutionaries.

Thorpe is not a revolutionary.

but thorpe is against cops at pride? i wouldn't really call her a revolutionary but a radical, certainly

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
She isn't even radical. Thorpe thinks capitalism is ok (but needs to be nicer). So there will always be cops, even in her version of capitalism. Her position is nonsense.

lih
May 15, 2013

i don't get the impression that thorpe has much attachment to capitalism, but it's true that her focus is certainly more on indigenous sovereignty than any question of capitalism vs. communism

'protesting cops is nonsensical unless you are a committed revolutionary' though is an extremely stupid position lol but have fun with that

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Speaking of Cops

quote:

Queensland hoping to attract 500 foreign police officers a year to boost recruitment

Queensland is launching a global recruitment drive for hundreds of police officers over the next five years, as the state's police minister acknowledges difficulties attracting new recruits.

Key points:
The officers will not have to be Australian citizens or permanent residents
The state opposition says the government is well behind on recruitment promises
The government says hundreds of local recruits are currently in training
Under an agreement struck between the state and federal governments, the Queensland Police Service (QPS) has approval for 500 international recruits to join the service each year for five years.

The recruits will complete a fast-tracked training course of three to four months and then be stationed across Queensland.

The program will give recruits a pathway to permanent residency and citizenship.

Commissioner Katarina Carroll said those wanting to be recruited would be required to pass testing and vetting in Queensland.

"The new labour agreement goes beyond what has been offered by any other police organisation in Australia," she said.

"Allowing experienced officers from any country the chance to work for the Queensland Police Service and bring their own unique experiences, knowledge and skills to our organisation.

"We're looking for police across the world."

She said police from the UK, Canada and New Zealand would likely be the most compatible due to similar legislation.

Commissioner Carroll said there would be a social media campaign directing potential recruits to apply via the QPS website.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-23/queensland-recruits-foreign-police-officers-police-recruits/102013476

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
similar 'legislation'

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hire 👏 more 👏 diverse 👏 police 👏 officers

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Queensland really going all in on "tough on youth crime" this election cycle

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

starkebn posted:

Queensland really going all in on "tough on youth crime" this election cycle

its wild how the courier mail front page immediately pivoted from nonstop bashing them for high youth crime to the health system being hosed since they started implementing dutton level crime policy