Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Alright, who poo poo their pants. Fess up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BrotherJayne posted:

Alright, who poo poo their pants. Fess up.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1630701423573827584?s=20

quote:

The bottom line: Zelensky reiterated his belief that "democracy will defeat tyranny," saying Ukraine will repel Russia and "restore the full power of international law."

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Play posted:

(except for the US and that filthy jew zelensky, of course)

Interesting, nobody's expressed anything like this, which leads me to believe you were just looking for an excuse to say it yourself

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I have seen better bits, C-

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Play posted:

Had a quick tour through the old thread and it's both hilarious and sad how wrong all the Russia stans and internet poisoned galaxy brained faux Marxists of cspam were so wrong. About pretty much everything. From the very beginning to the very end. And yet if there's one positive thing I can say, it's that they don't quit, their devotion to being incorrect is, well maybe not laudable but amusing at least

You know what they say, boys will be boys. Who's to say who to blame here (except for the US and that filthy jew zelensky, of course)

Lmao that you actually believe this literally

you quoted someone saying that russian soldiers committed war crimes/killed civilians in bucha and then someone who posted a tweet quoting some us marine?

if you wanted to find embarrassing posts there are plenty in it. what do you think these show

am i being mila'd

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

war is bad and policy should be informed by trying to avoid it. one way to do this is by making it as easy as possible for foreign actors to not be assholes. if one neglects doing this, it's not sufficient to point out that those foreign actors were assholes and pretend that that is the end of the story, because one was also a bit of an rear end in a top hat oneself.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
oh, it's genuine

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is there some reason I shouldn't believe Newsweek is it a conservative rag?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so if one, say, is the global hegemon and unrivalled military superpower, one has a special responsibility in forming the geopolitical landscape such that no other agent could see themselves as being forced into a corner. even if one doesn't think that any reasonable agent could perceive things in this way, it seems to behoove one to take a moment for reflection upon being informed by said agent that they saw themselves as being forced into a corner and try to make some kind of accommodation within reasonable bounds.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Play posted:

You know what they say, boys will be boys. Who's to say who to blame here (except for the US and that filthy jew zelensky, of course)

The opposite, actually; War is terrible, and makes people terrible, and we should generally support ending wars.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Play posted:

that filthy jew zelensky, of course

Does this thread have mods or what?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cpt_Obvious posted:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cpt_Obvious posted:

https://www.thefactual.com/blog/how-reliable-is-newsweek/

idk the factosphere seems to think newsweek is a bit sloppy but generally centrist by us standards

i have now spent two minutes researching this, which is more time than i really think it warrants

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Cpt_Obvious posted:

it's generic american news media, so yes. but it's not significantly worse than any other. still can have writers/articles that are worth reading depending.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

in good time. i want to see where he goes next.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Centerist by American standards == right wing

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

you know how it is, ban+30 for CSPAM posters, nothing for shitposters from outside

same old same old

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
they're all right wing. tbh if you just scanned it vs. the new york times right now im pretty sure the times would edge it out on reactionary poo poo

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Frosted Flake posted:

the more mods a thread has the more likely it is to crash and need to be restarted, just look at the GBS threads

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The only concept that's caused more damage than the belief that missiles and drone strikes can be precision-guided to avoid casualties, is the idea that there exists a moral army that avoids doing terrible things. Every army does awful things during a war, and you should be running the calculus on if having a mobilized wave of people who can-and will-murder/rape/pillage is worth whatever the goals of the war is.

For most people in this thread, nominal control over territory in Ukraine (between a revanchist orthodox neoliberal country, and a revisionist neoliberal state politically held hostage by neonazis) is not worth this, and so both sides should be negotiating an end to the war.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

now now let's be fair

cspam makes ironic orc and zug zug jokes, we need to give the gbs poster space for ironic accusations of antisemitism

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
*guy who is really mad that he cant post in the pyf dead people thread anymore* loving antisemites

Malleum has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Mar 1, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Isn't Ukraine explicitly shelling residential areas? Of course most deaths are arty

I mean, they do, but their Donbas strikes are certainly only a tiny part of the total munitions that get thrown around.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Суверенная экономика posted:

Car production in the country has fallen by 60% - Russia will turn into a sales market if it does not launch import substitution

Deputy Head of the Ministry of Industry and Trade Albert Karimov reported that in 2022 car production in Russia dropped by 60% compared to the previous year. Overall, 620 thousand cars rolled off the assembly line.

Passenger cars were affected the hardest of all - 66% less cars were produced. The cargo segment fared a little better, with a negative 18%. Only production of buses remained almost at the same level.

At the same time, the purchase of foreign manufacturers gives grounds for cautious optimism. For example, AvtoVAZ is planning to increase its capacity. The most important thing is to set the right accents and not to fill the gaps with temporary measures only.

There is a risk that the market will be flooded with purchases from abroad, which will finally suffocate the domestic auto industry. Parallel import is good as an anticrisis, but it must be pinpointed. This requires competent regulatory measures. In turn, our top priorities are maximum localization and support for Russian producers.
(from t.me/suverennews/1223, via tgsa)

Summary: passenger car production down, cargo automobiles slightly down, bus production roughly level

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the thing about Newsweek (if not other American publications) is that they are actually anti-Russian but eventually some information does slip out. I don't know if it is a casualty every 4 hours, but it is clear multiple publications are admitting things have very bad in Bakhmut for a while.

There are comparisons to Stalingrad...but it doesn't seem like the Ukrainians are the ones conducting the pincer movement.

-------

It seems the issue in Russia isn't a lack of cars but that domestic industry needs more time to recover. Again, it is something that actually needs to be supported by the Kremlin rather than just let the market run free.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:11 on Mar 1, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ardennes posted:

I would say the thing about Newsweek (if not other American publications) is that they actually anti-Russian but eventually some information does slip out. I don't know if it is a casualty every 4 hours, but it is clear multiple publications are admitting things have very bad in Bakhmut for a while.

There are comparisons to Stalingrad...but it doesn't seem like the Ukrainians are the ones conducting the pincer movement.

they do not have the same kind of state department attention that the big boys get so they gently caress up from time to time.

that said safe money is to wait like 3 days after "x has fallen" before giving too much of a poo poo. looking at block by block tactical level maps is... at best probably not actually accurate or interpretable or you're just eating bullshit. fancy maps with city blocks highlighted should be extremely suspicious. anything that makes it look like it's giving a very clear picture should ring alarm bells. the people actually there sure as gently caress don't have that good of a picture on what's happening, neither does anyone showing you a stylish map.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Play posted:

Had a quick tour through the old thread and it's both hilarious and sad how wrong all the Russia stans and internet poisoned galaxy brained faux Marxists of cspam were so wrong. About pretty much everything. From the very beginning to the very end. And yet if there's one positive thing I can say, it's that they don't quit, their devotion to being incorrect is, well maybe not laudable but amusing at least

:gb2gbs:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Nice another freak mad they currently cant read war gore

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
I remember newsweek once published a story about this guy who almost certainly had something to do with the boston bombing and who had previous connections with the FBI, who was picked up by the cops and then and then shipped off to a mental institution for the duration of the trial by some shady men in black looking dudes

I remember reading that article and being shocked that they were allowed to print something so damning but then nothing ever came of it and it became a pretty marginal conspiracy theory

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i wouldn't normally have a problem with lame trolling but i absolutely don't respect the mods and admins enough that I don't think they'd use the gbs posts as an excuse to close this thread

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

that said safe money is to wait like 3 days after "x has fallen" before giving too much of a poo poo. looking at block by block tactical level maps is... at best probably not actually accurate or interpretable or you're just eating bullshit. fancy maps with city blocks highlighted should be extremely suspicious. anything that makes it look like it's giving a very clear picture should ring alarm bells. the people actually there sure as gently caress don't have that good of a picture on what's happening, neither does anyone showing you a stylish map.

I would say at least that most of the maps line up at this point with modest differences. There is certainly a fog of war but at the same time, I don't know if it is worthless if everyone admits an area is taken. Also, Rybar hasn't really been that inaccurate as far as their maps go.

Also, this is a chat thread on a old comedy site that had its founder blow his brains out, it can be a little fast and loose.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

i wouldn't normally have a problem with lame trolling but i absolutely don't respect the mods and admins enough that I don't think they'd use the gbs posts as an excuse to close this thread

i think you can calm down, dude. everybody is on the same page here about posts like that.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Play posted:

i was right on every count actually

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Malleum posted:

*guy who is really mad that he cant post in the pyf dead ziggers thread anymore* loving antisemites

I really don't think we should be using that verbiage, even ironically.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Finland is saying "do not come. do not come."
Finland Starts Construction Of Russian Border Fence

www.rferl.org posted:

Finland says it has begun construction of a 200-kilometer fence on the Russian border as Helsinki fears Moscow could use migrant flows at the frontier for political purposes. Terrain work were set to begin on February 28 "with forest clearance and will proceed in such a way that road construction and fence installation can be started in March," the Finnish Border Guard said. The pilot project at the Imatra border crossing is expected to be completed by the end of June, it added. Construction of a further 70 kilometers, mainly in southeastern Finland, will take place between 2023 and 2025.
nice work

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Regarde Aduck posted:

i mean fluffdaddy might come in here at any moment and start liquidating, but that goes for every thread. i'm not worried about cspam mods doing that. only thing that might is antagonizing the gbs people in sad or something.

Ardennes posted:

I would say at least that most of the maps line up at this point with modest differences. There is certainly a fog of war but at the same time, I don't know if it is worthless if everyone admits an area is taken. Also, Rybar hasn't really been that inaccurate as far as their maps go.

Also, this is a chat thread on a old comedy site that had its founder blow his brains out, it can be a little fast and loose.

oh yeah, i'm not saying like... i was just stating personal opinion there, nothing prescriptive. i could be way off base anyway. i certainly didn't mean to make it sound like i wanted to take things seriously.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

BrotherJayne posted:

I really don't think we should be using that verbiage, even ironically.

yeahhhhh, jesus

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Need all that investment flowing so he can top up his slush fund before poo poo turns and he flees to Miami.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Malleum posted:

*guy who is really mad that he cant post in the pyf dead ziggers thread anymore* loving antisemites

do not post this new slur that broke-brained war fans have invented so they can trod new frontiers of racism please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

i was right on every count actually