Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You used to be able to hop into the reserve car before the start of the race and start from the pits back in the day - not sure if that's a thing anymore. I think I remember a time when they did it mid race too but don't quote me on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Think this was what undid George last year - if you get out of your car then you are deemed to have retired from the race, I guess in the pit lane during a red flag is the exception

Now that I think about it a bit more, I'm sure the driver of the 1st car would run into parc ferme rules if he tried to drive the 2nd car, since there would need to be so many adjustments of the car before he could reasonably race it, such as weight and balance to account for the different weights, seat height, and other things to customize it for that specific driver.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Diet Crack posted:

You used to be able to hop into the reserve car before the start of the race and start from the pits back in the day - not sure if that's a thing anymore. I think I remember a time when they did it mid race too but don't quote me on that.

From what I was just reading, reserve or 't-cars' were banned after 2008 to lower costs for teams.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Makes sense, haven't seen it done in some time and you only see 2 cars brought in these days and the Did Not Starts.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Anime loving sucks any the people who like it are worse than genuine Red Bull fans.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

McLaren loving sucks any the people who like it are worse than genuine Red Bull fans.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

This is libel. You'll be hearing from my lawyers.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cimber posted:

Now that I think about it a bit more, I'm sure the driver of the 1st car would run into parc ferme rules if he tried to drive the 2nd car, since there would need to be so many adjustments of the car before he could reasonably race it, such as weight and balance to account for the different weights, seat height, and other things to customize it for that specific driver.

The T-Car would be set up for one specific driver each race weekend, and typically would alternate between race weekends to make it "fair" for both drivers. So in the instance that say, you bin it on the out lap to the grid, the T-Car is ready and waiting with your seat/settings/etc in it, all the team needs to do is strap you into it and fire it up.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cimber posted:

who remembers this blast from the past?

MustardFacial, is that you with Lando and Dan???

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cimber posted:

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but could theoretically a driver take over the car of his second if he gets taken out in the race and race the other car? Or is that forbidden? I'm guessing it would be.

[edit] I'm also guessing that a) I need more coffee before posting to the interweb, and b) it would be pointless to do anyways since the driver would be so behind in laps, unless the crash caused a red flag.

It used to happen in the 50s, the car was officially scored not the driver so you'd take over where your teammate go to. eg - Ascari took over Serafini's Ferrari in the 1950 Italian GP and both were credited with 2nd place, but shared the points and got 3 each.

Diet Crack posted:

Changing into an entirely new car mid race has never been a thing, you're conflating it with those driver swaps.

Spare cars could indeed be used right up until the race. The only thing you had to watch for was your engine was part of your "Constructor" and Elio De Angelis managed to get himself disqualified when his new Lotus - Renault failed before the start. He climbed into the spare, which was an old Cosworth powered one and got disqualified for driving for a different constructor than the one he qualified for.

Weird race that one, they disqualified Rosberg for a push start and then didn't promote anyone so in that race officially no-one finished 2nd.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cimber posted:

who remembers this blast from the past?

You can trace a lot of McLaren's problems to letting that fat tub of lard into the garage.
Also that's a picture of James Cordon

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anime good Red Bull bad, very simple.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
All this reserve car talk reminds me of the time that juan pablo montoya hopped out of his car while it was lined up on the grid, and ran over to the reserve car and started from the pits. then they waited until there were 10 laps to go before they disqualified him for getting into the reserve car too late lol.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
F1 bringing in important strategic partners

https://twitter.com/spursofficial/status/1630508766390099975

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh no they're trying to bring back Superleague Formula

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I didn't know how much more the F1 brand could be tainted but it turns out that a collaboration with Spuds would do that

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

GramCracker posted:

MustardFacial, is that you with Lando and Dan???

pwoah I wish. I'm way more annoying than James Cordon

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
those karts will probably be faster and cooler than formula e

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

me driving a 10yo tacoma to the grocery store is faster and cooler than formula e

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wow a 10 year old Tacoma, you're a real man of the people huh?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

drat that sounds fun as hell.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

net work error posted:

Anime good Red Bull bad, very simple.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Barely taller than a 4’11” anime girl

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

More corrupt, FIFA or FIA?

I think it’s fifa cause the extra f adds more corruption.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

italian quid posted:

Wow a 10 year old Tacoma, you're a real man of the people huh?

my tacoma is 2 years old

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I just passed a bunch of cars going slow in the snow

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ethanol posted:

I just passed a bunch of cars going slow in the snow

You can do the same thing with any vehicle if you buy winter tires hth

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I rented a brand new Ford F150 XLT last week and I am now a truck guy, those things loving rule

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPll3mpO9oE

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Finaly a chance for a Hulk podium

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
superlague forumula owned for a bunch of past-it drivers and lower-formula no-hopers having enormous acccidents

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.

the milk machine posted:

those karts will probably be faster and cooler than formula e

I have tried to enjoy formula e and it just isn't happening. I'm not sure what exactly makes it so not-exciting but it could be that the cars look stupid and are all spec (afaik) and slower than F1.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I didn't know how much more the F1 brand could be tainted but it turns out that a collaboration with Spuds would do that

:hmmyes:

Lads, it’s Tottenham, etc.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

italian quid posted:

wrong and your a noob i fly past crv with snow tires on

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

slave to my cravings posted:

Barely taller than a 4’11” anime girl

Yeah but she’s also 300 years old so technically it’s not pedophilia

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ethanol posted:

wrong and your a noob i fly past crv with snow tires on

I drive a 20 year old corolla

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i might be one of the first people to ever type the following sentence.

but i miss my fiat grande punto

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't worry Carlos, you'll be back in it on Friday

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

italian quid posted:

I got my snow tires on this year and it was 70 the next week and I knew what it felt like to pit for softs for the fastest lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

italian quid posted:

I drive a 20 year old corolla

theres no way ur one wheel drive car even with snow tires could keep up with mine in real snow your opinoin is one of a flat stater