Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm wouldn't be surprised if The Blue Dancer is going to be the Artorias/Ludwig hero figure from the past we fight, he might be amenable to be bonked and/or shot with holy lasers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah. Aside from DS2 DLC which was mostly its own thing. Well Aldia does show up. DS3's first DLC was kinda separate too, but it gets tied nicely into the 2nd DLC which had a ton of lore stuff.

the DS2 DLC is intimately tied in to the larger themes and ultimate conclusion of that game's narrative, although in an admittedly rather post hoc way once they had the time and budget to integrate aldia in to string everything together

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

No Dignity posted:

I'm wouldn't be surprised if The Blue Dancer is going to be the Artorias/Ludwig hero figure from the past we fight, he might be amenable to be bonked and/or shot with holy lasers

Artorias was difficult but fair for a caveman build, my favorite fight in that game. I don't want it to be easy, just a minimum of horseshit.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just want him to be Isshin Ashina, The Sword Saint with a fake mustache and get another take on that fight

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wonder how the expansion will be structured. I'm assuming it's post game content, but might be wrong given other dark souls DLC has been at various points. Tbh it's easy to level and get your favoured items once you know the base game so maybe I'll start a wacky new dude for the new content.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I just beat the black blade, and I spent more time reloading because of those drat birds than anything else.

We need to make a top 5 list of poo poo that killed you the most

5. Margit, the Fell Omen, before you realize you don't have to fight him to keep going
4. Malenia
3. Jumping down an elevator shaft
2. those goddamn birds
1. Exactly 2 dogs

imps
2 imps
any number of dogs
cliffs that are 1 foot too high
personal hubris

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dogs and birds scare me much more than any dragon or legendary demigod.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I just beat the black blade, and I spent more time reloading because of those drat birds than anything else.

We need to make a top 5 list of poo poo that killed you the most

5. Margit, the Fell Omen, before you realize you don't have to fight him to keep going
4. Malenia
3. Jumping down an elevator shaft
2. those goddamn birds
1. Exactly 2 dogs

That first Erdtree burial doggos up there for me.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
1. Malenia (60+ pulls)
2. Margit (30+ pulls when brand new to the game)
3. Godskin Noble (20+ pulls)
4. Malekith (Almost 20 pulls)
5. loving rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo god drat stupid loving breath attacks that tic on you like 3-5 times, NOT BLOCKING, just gently caress you for existing inside this AoE gently caress

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I've heard the triple putrid crystalian fight had its AI nerfed to be less ganky. If that is incorrect they definitely deserve a spot up there.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

YF-23 posted:

I've heard the triple putrid crystalian fight had its AI nerfed to be less ganky. If that is incorrect they definitely deserve a spot up there.

is that in the haligtree by a chest? i just ran in stole the chest and let myself be clubbed to death

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

verbal enema posted:

is that in the haligtree by a chest? i just ran in stole the chest and let myself be clubbed to death

The boss fight in the minidungeon behind a fake wall up the Selia graveyard, just past the church, iirc.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

YF-23 posted:

The boss fight in the minidungeon behind a fake wall up the Selia graveyard, just past the church, iirc.

ah poo poo guess ill go fight them too

also i didnt notice but i got the cheevo for collecting all the legendary spirit ashes :toot:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

All duo and trio fights have been nerfed enormously. The crystallians especially will apparently have their AI go so inactivate that they don't kick back online and you can just stand there wailing on them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

All duo and trio fights have been nerfed enormously. The crystallians especially will apparently have their AI go so inactivate that they don't kick back online and you can just stand there wailing on them

I remember doing that fight on my first run and it was pretty hellish, but bringing a mallet or mallet adjacent weapon did the trick.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

yeah, they all more or less trade off a single attack token between themselves now. there's a couple rare moments where an inactive enemy will lob a spell or something, and i think they're programmed to attack if you get too close for too long regardless, but they're otherwise tag-team matches moreso than brawls

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I want Aldia to show up out of nowhere and for no reason. Like he doesn't say anything to tie the Dark Souls series into Elden Ring, he doesn't make any reference to DS2 at all, he's just there as Literally Aldia. The fans would go Berserk.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I want the ability to summon at least one former boss as a spirit ash is that too much to ask for?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

After binging most of Tarnished Archaeologist's incredible videos, I suspect that the Oracle Envoys (doot guys) are the Albinaurics that successfully emerged from their cocoons in Elphael and Haligtree.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
found the stray mimic tear hell yeah i was wondering if the first was the only fight

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Vermain posted:

yeah, they all more or less trade off a single attack token between themselves now. there's a couple rare moments where an inactive enemy will lob a spell or something, and i think they're programmed to attack if you get too close for too long regardless, but they're otherwise tag-team matches moreso than brawls

Honestly as it should be. Like phase two of sister friede.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Actually rage quit the game for the first time on the Elden Beast. I can't see what it's doing because it's too big and auto-lock drives my camera loving nuts. :mad:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Auto lock is your enemy. Consider: it is very big. Swing in its general direction and you will hit it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Conversely for Elden beast enter lock on and throw rock across arena.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

JBP posted:

Conversely for Elden beast enter lock on and throw rock across arena. pest threads up its butthole

:hmmyes:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Conversely for Elden beast enter lock on and throw rock across arena.

Oh. poo poo. Rock Sling?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Actually rage quit the game for the first time on the Elden Beast. I can't see what it's doing because it's too big and auto-lock drives my camera loving nuts. :mad:

Lock-on is a tool. Sometimes it's better not to have it on (hint: big bosses). Sometimes you need to be flicking it on and off fluidly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Oh. poo poo. Rock Sling?

stone of gurranq, it has massive range and is pure physical, so it's a good way to chump him if you don't have pest threads. high holy resist works good if you don't have anything of the sort up your sleeve otherwise, but some kind of strong ranged physical attack is ideal

it's a bad boss that i'd like to see actually fixed in the DLC but i doubt they'll commit the resources for it, so having a plan to cheese it on every playthrough is good forward thinking

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ok after comparing Miquella’s size to Torrent’s I think that IS child form Miquella. So I think the DLC will be in the past in the early life of the the Erdtree when it was overtaking the crucible

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Video Nasty posted:

I want the ability to summon at least one former boss as a spirit ash is that too much to ask for?

Omenkiller Rollo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Epic High Five posted:

Omenkiller Rollo

he kicks rear end

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Just curious because I didn't pay attention to game-related social media at the time, but did fromsoft use the term DLC or expansion for the DLCs from ds1-3? or use em interchangeably

The DLCs have never disappointed me but "expansion" has my hopes up that it's gunna be big :q:

vvv on the other hand a large portion of their install base probably does not remember when expansion packs were a thing, so who can say

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 1, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Telltolin posted:

Just curious because I didn't pay attention to game-related social media at the time, but did fromsoft use the term DLC or expansion for the DLCs from ds1-3? or use em interchangeably

The DLCs have never disappointed me but "expansion" has my hopes up that it's gunna be big :q:

i had the same question, and the general consensus seems to be that "DLC" was previously used and "expansion" is being brought out to denote that it's gonna be something worthy of the title

time will obviously tell, but i think this is one of those rare instances where the install base is so phenomenally large that you can afford to sink a good amount into it on the expectation that you'll convert a solid percentage of those previous 20 million sales into DLC buys

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd buy it right now if I could.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
DS1 DLC: Expands on The Abysswalker that was mentioned and whose backstory plays a major part in 1/4th of the Lord Souls, reveals Kaathe might be running as much of a con as Frampt.

DSII DLC: Gives more backstory to the Iron King and his relationship to Alonne, each one is a thematic follow through of mans inherent nature to destroy itself following the ideals that Gwyn bound the world to.

DSIII DLC: A whole rear end subplot about a painting girl that reinforces the idea that the real way out of this stupid bullshit was never to chase the shadows of legend and keep repeating the same mistakes, or to simply stagnate in the dark because at least it doesn't "hurt" but instead to do --literally anything else--. gently caress the fire chasing bastards throwing themselves on the pyre to uphold a system of tyranny and fear, gently caress the emo weirdos all dressed up like one of Gwyn's assassins promising to do the same loving thing but in black and blue this time, just loving LEAVE. Make a new world with new ideas.

Like the Dark Souls DLC have always been a bit weird and generally introduce new ideas that nobody sees coming but they've never been irrelevant or disconnected.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'd say the main point of disconnection is that the setup that's used to get you to them is, more often than not, "a big portal opens up and sucks you to the phantom zone," and that lack of physical connection can make them feel more narratively distant, even if they're thematically appropriate

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Entering a dream and finding yourself somewhere you can straight up die is at least an established thing in-game here.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Vermain posted:

i had the same question, and the general consensus seems to be that "DLC" was previously used and "expansion" is being brought out to denote that it's gonna be something worthy of the title

time will obviously tell, but i think this is one of those rare instances where the install base is so phenomenally large that you can afford to sink a good amount into it on the expectation that you'll convert a solid percentage of those previous 20 million sales into DLC buys

My understanding is in the Japanese it says DLC, it's just the English version that says expansion.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Wasn't the "DLC" for Dark Souls 1 called "Additional Content"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vermain posted:

stone of gurranq, it has massive range and is pure physical, so it's a good way to chump him if you don't have pest threads.

Both are good against him, sling is all physical. Rock sling is also broken against big monsters because the tracking breaks down and the rocks fly near forever unless they patched it.