Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Behold my big pig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

For those acquainted with P3 paints, was there ever an additional purple in addition to Beaten Purple? I could swear I remember something but the paint charts I'm pulling up show no sign of it. I think I used it for Llael models?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Pyrolocutus posted:

For those acquainted with P3 paints, was there ever an additional purple in addition to Beaten Purple? I could swear I remember something but the paint charts I'm pulling up show no sign of it. I think I used it for Llael models?

So looking on their e-store, there's a couple that might have been it. Bad Bruise, Carnal Pink, Murderous Magenta, and Piggy Purple Ink are the only real purple-ish colors other than Beaten Purple in the line. I haven't really been able to find any "official" purple paint scheme for Llael, though, so I couldn't see if they mentioned using other colors or anything.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

w00tmonger posted:

Behold my big pig

tremendous couple of lads

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

w00tmonger posted:

Behold my big pig

It's like an episode of Kipper where Pig & Arnold go S&M. Glorious.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

w00tmonger posted:

Behold my big pig

Fat Bacon and Back Bacon. Fighting one would be rash, fighting both, rasher.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

w00tmonger posted:

Behold my big pig

I don't recall the Thunderdome sequence in Animal Farm

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't recall the Thunderdome sequence in Animal Farm

Sure you do, 4 legs enter, 2 legs leave.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SiKboy posted:

Fat Bacon and Back Bacon. Fighting one would be rash, fighting both, rasher.

I appreciate both the paint job and this post.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Does anyone know if there's a match guide between the Army Painter DnD paints and their regular range? The box I was gifted is apparently all regular paints (no exclusives) but with the names changed (so Wraith Black instead of what seems to be Necromancer Cloak). I have my suspicions on some (Vampire Garments is probably Vampire Red), but I just used the wash (Mouldy Wash) and I'd love to be able to match it, I'm just not sure if it's Green Tone or Dark Tone, or even something else

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Serperoth posted:

Does anyone know if there's a match guide between the Army Painter DnD paints and their regular range? The box I was gifted is apparently all regular paints (no exclusives) but with the names changed (so Wraith Black instead of what seems to be Necromancer Cloak). I have my suspicions on some (Vampire Garments is probably Vampire Red), but I just used the wash (Mouldy Wash) and I'd love to be able to match it, I'm just not sure if it's Green Tone or Dark Tone, or even something else

Yep, Army Painter actually made this: https://issuu.com/thearmypainter/docs/d_d_colour_comparison_chart

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Oh I feel silly now.

Also wow, I was not expecting almost all of them to be DnD unique. They're such neat colours too, wonder if they'll be more widely available at some point

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

got the new wave of imperium magazine in and I'm looking at the pile of grey Sisters and Tau I got in, and I want to paint them, and skip the building step. Anyone else feel that way? assembling models takes a bite out of your "painting energy" like, they're two separate activities?

By the time I get done building a set of models it is extremely unlikely I want to go immediately into painting them afterwards.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
The few times I’ve gone straight to painting, it’s been fairly satisfying, but yeah I have three different queues of to-build, to-prime, and to-paint. Moods change. I try to remember that the joy of the hobby for me is more in the doing than the being done.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

got the new wave of imperium magazine in and I'm looking at the pile of grey Sisters and Tau I got in, and I want to paint them, and skip the building step. Anyone else feel that way? assembling models takes a bite out of your "painting energy" like, they're two separate activities?

By the time I get done building a set of models it is extremely unlikely I want to go immediately into painting them afterwards.

I like to use build time as a chance to reconnoiter the model - to really understand what is on it and what needs painting. It's also a good time to really think about the paint scheme I've chosen and if it still makes sense in my head. Usually I'll build one model completely, prime and paint it before building all the others so I can test out what works and doesn't before I assemble more of them. That might help slake your paint-lust. :)

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I got the hobby station all put together and did a Goff Rokker last month. Feels good! I'm finally tackling Ghaz now :shroom:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yes every time. I like building but I'm so detail-oriented that it takes forever and by the time I'm done I'm second guessed myself on what I want to paint.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Cross posting

Mr Teatime posted:

Painted up something heretical with far too much trim.

“gently caress the primarchs, all my fellow legionaries hate primarchs”.

Very happy with KNEE EYE 👁️

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Love knee eye and the helmet lenses, but good lord that is a lot of trim :staredog:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

ijyt posted:

Love knee eye and the helmet lenses, but good lord that is a lot of trim :staredog:

It was liberator gold on black. How bad could it be I said to myself.
:shepicide:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

At that point it might be easier to prime gold and then paint in the black :v:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also use a gold that sucks way less than liberator gold.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Sadly having tested a few different golds I landed on liberator being the one that was just right, the coverage is abysmal though. The idiot thing is he and his colleagues were all airbrushed in a base of retributor armour but I decided that trying to fill in the black after painting the gold first wasn’t for me. I still don’t think it is but maybe I should at least try trimming in a brown or something first rather than directly putting lib on black.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr Teatime posted:

Sadly having tested a few different golds I landed on liberator being the one that was just right, the coverage is abysmal though. The idiot thing is he and his colleagues were all airbrushed in a base of retributor armour but I decided that trying to fill in the black after painting the gold first wasn’t for me. I still don’t think it is but maybe I should at least try trimming in a brown or something first rather than directly putting lib on black.

It also looks like you washed it with agrax in parts. You could have saved time and just started from a dark, brassy gold and layered up to liberator (takes one coat) then do your highlights. Which is basically like starting from brown.

I personally think it's easier to paint black over gold than gold over black so I'd do the flat panels last in the base coating steps.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

at least it wasn't auric armor gold :shepface:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Vallejo liquid gold is the best gold.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I’m somewhat limited in paints because I’m in the middle of the ocean for a few months. I would say that if you’re trying to find the motivation to paint chaos trim then being stuck at sea is probably your best bet.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Man after nuclear apocalypse: I finally have all the time I need to catch up on my backlog

*realizes he never sealed his last pot of agrax earthshade*

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Man after nuclear apocalypse: I finally have all the time I need to catch up on my backlog

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*goes to the tons of locations where there is now spilled crude oil and makes his own nuln oil*

*due to the radiation, he becomes a fallout ghoul and lives for a long time*

"Finally! after 210 years I've finished my entire backlog!!"

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

The Demilich posted:

I'm partial to the Vincey V mix
https://youtu.be/26_1W7zR-cA
6 parts Vallejo metal color gold
4 parts Vallejo metal color copper
1 part GSW antique gold pigment powder
2 parts flow aide

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I'm almost out of my last pot of the old, good earthshade and I'll have to move to the new contrast earthshade. I'm not looking forward to it.

I bought 4 extra bottles of Cryptek Armourshade Gloss and 3 extra bottles of the old good nuln oil, but I forgot to stock up on earthshade.

I'm real salty about how frequently GW just discontinues paints or makes significant changes to formulas. It makes it tough to make paint jobs match over time.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

*goes to the tons of locations where there is now spilled crude oil and makes his own nuln oil*

*due to the radiation, he becomes a fallout ghoul and lives for a long time*

"Finally! after 210 years I've finished my entire backlog!!"

*crests hill, finds miraculously unharmed GW warehouse*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

The Demilich posted:

It's good, but I think my current favorite gold is still just Vallejo metallic air silver washed with yellow speedpaint/contrast

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm still a sucker for the scale75 Necro/dwarf/elf gold recipe even after trying a bunch of other golds, even the contrast recipe. Idk it's just a me thing as I love the Vallejo metals for everything else

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lumpy posted:

*crests hill, finds miraculously unharmed GW warehouse*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

I'm almost out of my last pot of the old, good earthshade and I'll have to move to the new contrast earthshade. I'm not looking forward to it.

Switch to oil washes and use the same tube of burnt umber until you die.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ijyt posted:

Switch to oil washes and use the same tube of burnt umber until you die.

oh god the main reason I don't want to switch to the contrast based nuln oil / earthshade is how poorly they work with water, oil washes are even worse for that.

Well, that plus the fact that contrast paints do that lovely thing of leaving the tiny unpainted dots all over as the contrast paint dries and pulls in on itself, but oil washes don't have that problem.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Chainclaw posted:

Well, that plus the fact that contrast paints do that lovely thing of leaving the tiny unpainted dots all over as the contrast paint dries and pulls in on itself, but oil washes don't have that problem.

Continue to work with the paint as it dries and you can solve that (this is also how you reduce pooling). I find that happens with certain primers that are a bit too smooth for contrast paint to adhere to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Chainclaw posted:

Closing in on the same problem with Nuln Oil Gloss. Nobody makes a remotely acceptable substitute.