Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

1 posted:

Ooh, that's about as good as Bennett gets now, so just in case anyone ignored the link:

Looks like the early winner for "The One Bennett Didn't Sleep Through This Year"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

Looks like the early winner for "The One Bennett Didn't Sleep Through This Year"

now he's got to recharge with months of "Trump is going to prison any day now" comics before he can put out another decent one

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Skios posted:

It’s funny. Jim Davis is a really close friend to Mike Pence. The Garfield comics canonically take place in Idaho. Pence has a bunch of Garfield cartoons/birthday cards hand-drawn for him by Davis in his office. They probably believe a lot of the same things. But Davies is smart enough to keep his head down, count his money, and make sure that his product is as middle of the road bland as possible.

Glenn McCoy has been running a bland gag of the day strip for 30 years now without putting any chud crap in it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I’m a little ashamed I can name all four characters

Dilbert, Alice, Wally, and... Asok? Or Ted?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

That's Asok. Dilbert was one of the most successful newspaper comics of all times, there's no reason to know who the characters are unless you know some of the incredibly deep obscure characters like Dilbert's girlfriend (Liz :smith:)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Next target: Mike Lester.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

Profiting from war by Song Chen

Le Monde

by Cristina from Portugal

Encore un drame en Méditerranée/ Once more a tragedy in the Mediterranean by Paolo Lombardi from Italy

Charlie Hebdo

The government is preparing us for drought
"Only the most resistant will survive."

They're making fun once more of Palmade but the gist of the joke is a new way to drive while drinking and doing coke while keeping your eyes on the road. The Concours Lepine is an invention competition and this is their invention.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Murdstone posted:

Next target: Mike Lester.

Mike Lester was never popular though.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Youremother posted:

That's Asok. Dilbert was one of the most successful newspaper comics of all times, there's no reason to know who the characters are unless you know some of the incredibly deep obscure characters like Dilbert's girlfriend (Liz :smith:)

I was painfully into Dilbert from like... Seventh to Tenth grade. I also remember Tina the Tech Writer, and, when he was accused of being anti-woman, he made Antina (antidote to Tina), which treaded into some ugly butch stereotypes.

Also, he left it ambiguous as to if Dilbert lost his mancherry to Liz because apparently some fans were uncomfortable with Dilbert getting laid before they did.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Albanese government lifts tax rate on superannuation balances over $3m (Guardian). "The changes, which will not come into effect until 2025-26, will apply to around 80,000 people".

Lethbridge:

Jim Chalmers, the treasurer.

Le Lievre:

Tanya Plibersek, the environment minister. I'm not sure if this is about anything specific or just that the government isn't doing enough.

Wilcox:

Safe Work Australia asked to look at regulations needed to ban engineered stone over silicosis risk (ABC).

Katauskas:

Knight:

Spooner:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

"Thanks Dad, I'm glad you weren't beheaded by an enraged fire fighter like the rest of the fossil fuel executives during The Climates Wars and the BP Trials."

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

This is not quite as offensive as Ramirez' "all lives matter"/"please don't resist arrest" cartoon, but it's up there. I feel like he'll give us a cartoon with a gun labelled "gun control" at some point.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Neito posted:

I was painfully into Dilbert from like... Seventh to Tenth grade. I also remember Tina the Tech Writer, and, when he was accused of being anti-woman, he made Antina (antidote to Tina), which treaded into some ugly butch stereotypes.

Also, he left it ambiguous as to if Dilbert lost his mancherry to Liz because apparently some fans were uncomfortable with Dilbert getting laid before they did.

Adams told fans that whenever Dilbert would have had sex, he'd draw Dilbert's tie flat. Ergo, Dilbert lost his virginity on August 9th, 1994:

I, too, was painfully into Dilbert in my childhood, because my father had purchased a number of the collections and I literally taught myself to read with Dilbert, Calvin & Hobbes, and Foxtrot collections.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Youremother posted:

Adams told fans that whenever Dilbert would have had sex, he'd draw Dilbert's tie flat. Ergo, Dilbert lost his virginity on August 9th, 1994:

I, too, was painfully into Dilbert in my childhood, because my father had purchased a number of the collections and I literally taught myself to read with Dilbert, Calvin & Hobbes, and Foxtrot collections.

Fun fact: Bill Ahmed from Foxtrot is friends with the Penny Arcade guys and goes to some of the PAXes; he's a pretty chill dude and exactly the kind of nerd you'd expect from the guy who wrote Jason Fox.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Skios posted:

It’s funny. Jim Davis is a really close friend to Mike Pence. The Garfield comics canonically take place in Idaho. Pence has a bunch of Garfield cartoons/birthday cards hand-drawn for him by Davis in his office. They probably believe a lot of the same things. But Davies is smart enough to keep his head down, count his money, and make sure that his product is as middle of the road bland as possible.

I hear he based the dog cum comic on Mike Pence's real life tho

E:

Murdstone posted:

Tomorrow Ramirez will run the same cartoon but the clouds will be labeled Debt.

Someone beat him to it weeks ago

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 28, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Youremother posted:

I think he also had a flat tie in one of the panels when Antina was introduced. I think it was pointed out in one of the old Dilbert collections.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Randalor posted:

I think he also had a flat tie in one of the panels when Antina was introduced. I think it was pointed out in one of the old Dilbert collections.

It was in Seven Years of Highly Defective People; he said he's "not sure what it means".

My brain remembers this, but not my own girlfriend's birthday ore than half the time.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I'm pretty sure the Antina tie thing was a genuine mistake.

Growing up in the years where Dilbert and Harry Potter were media sensations has been devastating for my memory skills.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I remember being a kid and dilbert was basically everywhere, having perfectly captured humor from the sort of thing that office life had turned into in the 90s a la office space

Now i can get used to it being nowhere

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Dilbert is what you borrow from the library after you've exhausted all the Garfield and Far Side books and figure might as well give this a shot because its also cartoons

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And that's how we all ended up in this thread. :smithicide:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

SA being the de facto community hub for fans of newspaper cartoons always warms my heart.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Staluigi posted:

I remember being a kid and dilbert was basically everywhere, having perfectly captured humor from the sort of thing that office life had turned into in the 90s a la office space

Now i can get used to it being nowhere

I think anything Scott Adams-related will be so thoroughly scrubbed from popular culture that when they're doing historical retrospectives on comics and business humor in the late 20th/early 21st century, they'll be a mysterious Dilbert-shaped hole for the years between 1989 and 2023.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

NDP posted:

I think anything Scott Adams-related will be so thoroughly scrubbed from popular culture that when they're doing historical retrospectives on comics and business humor in the late 20th/early 21st century, they'll be a mysterious Dilbert-shaped hole for the years between 1989 and 2023.

The Dilhole

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/BennettCartoons/status/1630712826506493955?s=20

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Youremother posted:

i read the dilbert principle/future so many times as a kid

also i learned a good bit of 70s history by reading my dad's doonesbury collections over and over

After The War posted:

And that's how we all ended up in this thread. :smithicide:
we never stood a chance

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I feel like Bennett's well-intentioned here, but ultimately transphobic.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Neito posted:

I feel like Bennett's well-intentioned here, but ultimately transphobic.

Is it? Asking genuinely, here. I don’t think the intent of the cartoon is “lol guy in a dress” like the clearly transphobic McCoy, Lester, Garrison cartoons are; it’s trying to highlight that the guy making the ban is a hypocrite who wants to be allowed to do what he wants but ban others from doing the same.

But I am not an expert in LGBTQIA issues and will absolutely defer to others.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

"Put Me in Charge of Dilbert, You Cowards!"

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

skeleton warrior posted:

Is it? Asking genuinely, here. I don’t think the intent of the cartoon is “lol guy in a dress” like the clearly transphobic McCoy, Lester, Garrison cartoons are; it’s trying to highlight that the guy making the ban is a hypocrite who wants to be allowed to do what he wants but ban others from doing the same.

The old gotcha of "homophobe/transphobe is phobic because they're secretly gay/trans" is overall negative because it's still painting being LGBT as something detrimental. People do not need to closeted to hate gay people, and poo poo like drawing Putin in drag is still making fun of LGBT people in the end.

Pointing out the hypocrisy of people who have done drag banning drag shows is a valid point, but pointing out hypocrisy does very little to address the actual matter at hand.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Youremother posted:

The old gotcha of "homophobe/transphobe is phobic because they're secretly gay/trans" is overall negative because it's still painting being LGBT as something detrimental. People do not need to closeted to hate gay people, and poo poo like drawing Putin in drag is still making fun of LGBT people in the end.

It's not a gotcha or a "I bet he's really closeted and that's why he's hateful." That has nothing to do with it at all.

quote:

Pointing out the hypocrisy of people who have done drag banning drag shows is a valid point, but pointing out hypocrisy does very little to address the actual matter at hand.

It entirely addresses the matter at hand. The point, which is valid and germane, is exactly this:
https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1630312194104606720

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

Oh for sure, August Gloop being fat was the only thing that made that story interesting.

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

This is like drawing the triangle shirtwaist factory burning and labeling the smoke "NOT LETTING EMPLOYERS LOCK THEIR WORKERS INSIDE"

Tibalt posted:

"Thanks Dad, I'm glad you weren't beheaded by an enraged fire fighter like the rest of the fossil fuel executives during The Climates Wars and the BP Trials."
Why is the skyline so thick with smog, lol. All the ways to show the future is bad and he went with "smoggy skies".

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
If someone is interested in addressing actual matters and not throwing around lame gotchas, they don't become a cartoonist.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

skeleton warrior posted:

It's a punch aimed at chuds that only ever hits LGBT people, and in fact cannot actually ever hit the chud because it fundamentally misunderstands exactly what is going on. No evil right winger is ever going to give a seconds thought to some liberal stranger calling them a hypocrite, except maybe to revel in their display of powerlessness, so all it does is continue to normalize ideas and stereotypes that need to be tossed entirely.

One must keep a low bar with cartoonists that aren't Kelly or Collins of course.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

It's a punch aimed at chuds that only ever hits LGBT people, and in fact cannot actually ever hit the chud because it fundamentally misunderstands exactly what is going on. No evil right winger is ever going to give a seconds thought to some liberal stranger calling them a hypocrite, except maybe to revel in their display of powerlessness, so all it does is continue to normalize ideas and stereotypes that need to be tossed entirely.

One must keep a low bar with cartoonists that aren't Kelly or Collins of course.

It's basically this. You can't accuse them of hypocrisy because that requires them to be actual hypocrites, which in turn relies on them acting contrary to any sincerely held belief. And they are not. Because the only sincerely held beliefs they have are "nobody should get to tell me what to do," and "I should be allowed to tell others what to do." Banning drag for those people while still doing it themselves? That is perfectly in keeping with their actual principles.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Saw that this one got posted already, but I'm going to go ahead and post it anyway.

Probably going to post tomorrow's tomorrow, too. (Look, I have habits and I'm old.)

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Ann Telnaes

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Jimmy Margulies

David M. Hitch

Mike Peters

Randall Enos

Dave Whamond

Dave Granlund

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Youremother posted:

This

As well is it even hypocrisy? Doing it as a joke in college isn't the same as being a professional drag queen, or being trans or anything. It's not like he wants to secretly do it himself necessarily, he might be fine with never being in Rocky Horror again or whatever.

Toon just seems like "lol man in a dress"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

A kingdom hearts cartoon

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fair enough on that Bennett, thank you all for your responses. I see what you all mean, and I won't defend it any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Discendo Vox posted:

Kellies nomination:

Worst Overall, Most Opposite of Reality
I second the nomination. My thoughts exactly.