Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skeleton warrior posted:

It's tied into toxic masculinity. "Emotions" are things that women have, and why you can't trust women, etc., etc., therefore the things that is it acceptable for men to feel: anger and pride (and all variants around those two, as you detail) can't possibly be emotions.

The most recent notable example of this I've seen was a video by right wing entertainment culture war YouTuber and failed Tom Clancy wannabe author The Critical Drinker where he posits that the reason why he thinks modern movies are all universally to a one terrible is because male protagonists are too emotional these days. He conveys this to his viewers in a fit of seething anger.

The irony.

The i r o n y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

skeleton warrior posted:

It's tied into toxic masculinity. "Emotions" are things that women have, and why you can't trust women, etc., etc., therefore the things that is it acceptable for men to feel: anger and pride (and all variants around those two, as you detail) can't possibly be emotions.

It makes sense when you realize these people are all identical copies of GOB Bluth.

"It's not like envy... or even hungry..."

"Could it be love?"

"I know what an erection feels like, Michael!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lot of juicy bits from this Rupert Murdoch deposition from the Dominion/Newsmax defamation lawsuit

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1630317375533744130?s=20

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lot of juicy bits from this Rupert Murdoch deposition from the Dominion/Newsmax defamation lawsuit

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1630317375533744130?s=20

This is some absolutely wild poo poo, all out in the open, and as someone who isn't a lawyer I don't know how the "It's not red or blue, but green" isn't an outright admission of guilt to every one of dominion's claims.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Some selected bits
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1630317730934013955
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1630326641703395330

and my favorite, hello to "We Have Actual Malice" aka typically the hardest thing to prove in a defamation case
https://twitter.com/mattgertz/status/1630336725309374464

Piell fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 28, 2023

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nebrilos posted:

There's another side to this argument that I was thinking about. Christians are infamous for committing terrible, terrible crimes, both historically (slavery, genocide of the Indians) and very recently (rape committed by Christian priests, even the war crimes committed in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam were mostly committed by Christians, weren't they?). Even belief in god doesn't seem to stop people from "descending into murderous rapine and barbarism".

No you see that's different because they're good God-Fearing people who Jesus pre-forgave (and actually approves of anyways)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Why is Fox even letting this Dominion thing get to the point of discovery? How is this better to them than settling out of court for an undisclosed sum and never admitting fault then moving on? They could even add it to their grift train and tell the audience that a mean deep state liberal antifa-plant Soros implement judge screwed them, woe is us, tune in tonight to see how they're coming for YOU next!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Why should Dominion accept a settlement, they have a basically slam dunk case

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Piell posted:

Why should Dominion accept a settlement, they have a basically slam dunk case

And they're heavily incentivized to make the defendant publicly say "We lied about everything, never trust us again"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
“We report you decide” sounds a lot more sinister when you realize the reports were always intended to be false but sound true.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Every union is swarming with these dumbfucks I swear.
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1630097711851802626?t=UH3_0UsGX2sQuMvl1lbysA&s=19

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

bird food bathtub posted:

Why is Fox even letting this Dominion thing get to the point of discovery? How is this better to them than settling out of court for an undisclosed sum and never admitting fault then moving on? They could even add it to their grift train and tell the audience that a mean deep state liberal antifa-plant Soros implement judge screwed them, woe is us, tune in tonight to see how they're coming for YOU next!

Dominion has to want to settle for that to happen. and Dominion apparently doesn't want to settle.

Unlike a private citizen who has likely somewhat limited finances and also ability to care. Dominion is also a very large corporation with their own teams of corporate lawyers who are going to get paid regardless of whether there is a lawsuit going or not, so there is no reason for Dominion to not fight this to the end and grind out a victory where Fox News loses the case (highly likely given all the evidence that THEY KNEW EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE DOING) and is forever more branded as a corporation that engaged in Defamation. Losing the case then opens up a bit of a Pandora's box for Fox in that other people can use the precedent of this case in lawsuits against Fox if Fox does really anything that could feasibly be related to Defamation in the future.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Dominion's entire business is in provide trusted, reliable voting machines and vote counts, so they have a vested corporate interest in carving as huge a hunk of flesh out of Fox as they can, and force Fox into the most humiliating public acknowledgement (or legal judgement) possible. The credibility of their entire business is at stake, they can't just let it go with a mumbled apology and a vague acknowledgement that "some mistakes were made". They want a trophy so spectacular that it will scare off anyone from impugning their integrity ever again.

I also think that Dominion takes their business of providing reliable, accurate voting results seriously, and that Fox kicking them around like a political football has pissed them off at an existential level.

They have Fox absolutely dead to rights. There's no reason to settle.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

FMguru posted:

Dominion's entire business is in provide trusted, reliable voting machines and vote counts, so they have a vested corporate interest in carving as huge a hunk of flesh out of Fox as they can, and force Fox into the most humiliating public acknowledgement (or legal judgement) possible. The credibility of their entire business is at stake, they can't just let it go with a mumbled apology and a vague acknowledgement that "some mistakes were made". They want a trophy so spectacular that it will scare off anyone from impugning their integrity ever again.

I also think that Dominion takes their business of providing reliable, accurate voting results seriously, and that Fox kicking them around like a political football has pissed them off at an existential level.

I'm not sure, but I think Dominion was also the election services company whose CEO gave that shifty letter to a Texas Republican candidate or something like that about a decade ago assuring that they were committed to doing whatever it takes to deliver a clean victory. Which makes this thing extra :allears:.

Sadly I can't find the articles about it since it's so old and the search engines are flooded with this lawsuit. But yeah, if it was Dominion that was the company that sent that letter then it adds an extra layer of scumminess to Fox News's bullshit, along with how reprehensible and predatory the Murdochs and everyone working at Fox is. They'll turn on anyone, no matter how loyal, so long as it makes them a buck by pushing the right even further into the arms of extremism. Hell, these predators even target even target other employees that don't go full tilt into the arms of the crazies or get different marching orders due to bad luck.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 28, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

FMguru posted:

Yeah this case has been pretty good case to follow because it disarms the far right from being able to bluster, bullshit and flagrantly lie in pursuit of a narrative or ideology because your'e not presenting it to a Twitter or a Fox News audience that just only accepts or listens to what it wants to hear even if it's total made up horseshit, you're presenting it to a court of law where an organization like Fox News usual tactics do not apply. He who shitposts the loudest and concocts the narrative spin that chuds are willing to accept isn't automatically the winner, but they who present the facts proving their case to a Judge and Jury as per the rules of a court. Hopefully if Dominion pulls this off in the wake of the Alex Jones ruling it can start a chain of accountability down the cause their sure as poo poo and much of it these days and Republicans and Right Wing pundits especially have just been able to lie and deceive for far too long to suit their own interests.

Granted they don't deserve entirely the blame, a good chunk of Western civilization has completely loving lost it's mind and just become unwilling to accept reality versus narrative that it's been cheated of some sort of thing that it's owed by the political enemies of the people trying to court them and willingly allowing itself to be lied to in order to avoid confronting harsh political and social realities that the world is changing around them and that instead of trying to in any way adapt to it has decided to have a total meltdown to the point where some of it's advocates in Congress like Marjorie Taylor Green are now calling for secession again. Accountability needs to start somewhere though and people that exploit this culture war insanity to the further detriment of society and personal/financial harm to entities seems like at least some place to start.

FMguru posted:

I don't think the credibility of their business is at stake though at least where it counts. Their audience loves being force fed a narrative and Fox News basically admits it felt forced into lying and fulfilling a narrative to save it's business. They deserve to and hopefully will get punished financially and be on public record as lying and deceiving people with their coverage to the harm of entities like Dominion's reputation, but their audience is 100% okay with this and will just see it as liberal bias of the jury or some sort of unfair conspiracy and judgement that was placed on Fox News for "telling the truth about how Joe Biden stole the election". Again these people DO NOT accept anything other than their narrative and don't care about being informed of the harsh truth that Trump just flat out lost the election to Joe Biden because enough people in states like Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania got tired of his bullshit and flipped the needle back to the blue of the Obama years and that there's just nothing more too it than that really.

What it does assuming the case does follow through to being decided for Dominion in huge figures is make them think twice about just trying to flagrantly and openly lie again just to save face with their batshit crazy audience so they don't defect to NewsMax or another organization that will quintuple down on the lies and stolen election narratives.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 28, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
To be made whole Dominion probably needs not only money to make up from lost contracts but also a public apology from Fox admitting they lied about the Dominion equipment.

I expect the public statement is where Fox balked at settling. They'd probably pay a billion dollars 10 years from now after the appeals have resolved and be able to spin it as, "The corrupt liberal courts" then say something now.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

I like that he seems to think an NPC is someone with perfectly reasonable and anodyne thoughts about Mondays, workload, and management.

It's kinda crazy how the Dilbert mythos fully went from "managers are greedy, dull people put in charge because we can't have them actually DO things" to openly casting pointy-haired boss as the hero of the whole thing. Yeah, actually you workers are whining, lazy soyboy slobs and we on top know SO MUCH better and deserve to ride you!

It's kinda like South Park went from focusing on Stan to Cartman and then to Stan's dad as the creators went from barely kids themselves to edgy twentysomethings to middle-aged dads. Only based on class.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Sephyr posted:

It's kinda crazy how the Dilbert mythos fully went from "managers are greedy, dull people put in charge because we can't have them actually DO things" to openly casting pointy-haired boss as the hero of the whole thing. Yeah, actually you workers are whining, lazy soyboy slobs and we on top know SO MUCH better and deserve to ride you!

It's kinda like South Park went from focusing on Stan to Cartman and then to Stan's dad as the creators went from barely kids themselves to edgy twentysomethings to middle-aged dads. Only based on class.

Adams originally pitched the comic as The Put-Upon Boss Deals with Terrible Slacker Employees.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Archonex posted:

I'm not sure, but I think Dominion was also the election services company whose CEO gave that shifty letter to a Texas Republican candidate or something like that about a decade ago assuring that they were committed to doing whatever it takes to deliver a clean victory. Which makes this thing extra :allears:.

You're probably thinking of Diebold, whose CEO sent out a letter to Ohio Republicans in 2003 stating that he was "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year."

Diebold subsequently ran into some serious issues with the security of their voting machines, which lead to the company being bought by a competitor in 2009, with Dominion buying the remaining assets in 2010.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Adams originally pitched the comic as The Put-Upon Boss Deals with Terrible Slacker Employees.

Yeah I was about to say it's always been like that, the regular workers were always portrayed as lazy (Wally) or incompetent (everyone but the three engineers and sometimes the intern) or both

E: "always" as in since the beginning of the strip, not "always" as in "every strip", all of the characters' competence and work ethic varies depending on the needs of a given joke. The pointy-haired boss will even be quick and perceptive when the strip needs someone to put down the employees

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 28, 2023

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Archonex posted:

You may be thinking of Diebold, not Dominion. In 2004 the president of Diebold promised to deliver Ohio for W

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2004/03/diebolds-political-machine/

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Small cities near me in rural CA are spending millions of dollars to ditch their Dominion voting machines and buy new ones which require new training, installation, and so on. I think it’s really important for local politics that people can point to a definitive court decision confirming that it was all dumb, expensive, and unnecessary.

Kale
May 14, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The most recent notable example of this I've seen was a video by right wing entertainment culture war YouTuber and failed Tom Clancy wannabe author The Critical Drinker where he posits that the reason why he thinks modern movies are all universally to a one terrible is because male protagonists are too emotional these days. He conveys this to his viewers in a fit of seething anger.

The irony.

The i r o n y

If theres any reason movies are largely unengaging now its because the lot of them are boring special effects showcases with the same boring indistinguishable temp music soundtracks by one mega company that has far to much singular say over what we get for entertainment nowadays. Has little to do with politics so much as too much media control in too few executive producers hands IMO.

And yeah modern day right wingers seem to have few emotions other than blithering anger at everyone else around them. The only thing that keeps them from tearing into each other even more than they do is the circlejerk theyve had going on for much of the 21st century and occasional redirection by their media to the desired targets

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 1, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Cause its publicly giving in and taking a hard L to the "looney left" in crazy right wing narrative land which is on balance at least equal too or worse than possibly losing in court, taking it up the rear end financially and then being able to spin it as liberal biased judges and juries putting undue hardship on them for the next several years.

Without their narrative they basically have nothing anymore.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

azflyboy posted:

You're probably thinking of Diebold, whose CEO sent out a letter to Ohio Republicans in 2003 stating that he was "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year."

Diebold subsequently ran into some serious issues with the security of their voting machines, which lead to the company being bought by a competitor in 2009, with Dominion buying the remaining assets in 2010.

Yeah, thanks, that's the one.

Either way, it looks like Fox is already trying to craft a narrative where they are the victims in this. They're relying on low info viewers to believe their narrative rather than reading the coverage of it and the court filings where they're conspiring to gently caress over the country for their own profit.

Dominion ought to aim at bankrupting their profits for the next few years given the losses they're liable to take from this latest bout of predatory bullshit that Fox News and their employees pulled.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 1, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Murgos posted:

To be made whole Dominion probably needs not only money to make up from lost contracts but also a public apology from Fox admitting they lied about the Dominion equipment.

I expect the public statement is where Fox balked at settling. They'd probably pay a billion dollars 10 years from now after the appeals have resolved and be able to spin it as, "The corrupt liberal courts" then say something now.

Even if they do it it's going to be framed as The Deep State making them bow to their will and probably not so subtly implying that they basically have a gun to their head.

Sephyr posted:

It really is bizarre.

I didn't read too much Dilbert but, from what I did, my takeaway was a true disdain of middle managers, cubicle life and all the bullshit that makes middle class work so insufferable. Similar to Office Space. Who knew that there was a raging conservative racist behind the entire thing?

It's like learning that the person who wrote Brazil was secretly in favor of all the oppressive poo poo we're shown in that film and the protagonist who wanted to find the angle of love was and escape it all was the bad guy.

Then again, I've heard that Mike Judge - since I brought him up - is a bit on the conservative side and that's just loving weird to me. Maybe my takeaways from Idiocracy, Extract and Office Space veered a bit from his artistic intent.

Joke's on him I guess.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 1, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BiggerBoat posted:

Then again, I've heard that Mike Judge - since I brought him up - is a bit on the conservative side and that's just loving weird to me. Maybe my takeaways from Idiocracy, Extract and Office Space veered a bit from his artistic intent.

Joke's on him I guess.

I doubt it. I think you can have some conservative values while hating "movement conservatism" and all that bullshit, or the political parties associated with conservatism. If you look at King of the Hill, I think that's Judge's attempt to show that conservatism isn't all bad, but that it still has to evolve and co-exist with modern society.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

BiggerBoat posted:

It's like learning that the person who wrote Brazil was secretly in favor of all the oppressive poo poo we're shown in that film and the protagonist who wanted to find the angle of love was and escape it all was the bad guy.

That isn't strictly the situation, but:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/terry-gilliam-interview-harvey-weinstein-victims-metoo-race-a9269136.html

It's regrettable, but sometimes people creating art appear to have better opinions in that art than they actually possess.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PT6A posted:

I doubt it. I think you can have some conservative values while hating "movement conservatism" and all that bullshit, or the political parties associated with conservatism. If you look at King of the Hill, I think that's Judge's attempt to show that conservatism isn't all bad, but that it still has to evolve and co-exist with modern society.

I think the problem with a lot of conservatism is that it has veered extremely far away from talking about actual policy positions. There's certainly room for voices talking about exactly how the tax brackets should shake out, and how tariffs should shake out, and what retirement ages should be, etc. etc. It's just that at this point, not only are so many of our policies slanted extremely far to the right and to the benefit of the owning class (leaving little room for a reasonable position that we should benefit them further), but the main focus is on denying the humanity of other people and denying that any problems in the world exist. It's bizarre and has become more or less unconscionable to actually support conservative positions nowadays.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

It's bizarre and has become more or less unconscionable to actually support conservative positions nowadays.

No, I don't think this is the case. Conservative positions have not meaningfully changed, the positions and policies espoused by right-wing parties have changed. I agree with you. The sort of "soft conservative" positions (red tory in Canadian lingo) haven't changed, it's just that they're no longer being represented by right-wing parties, because they've hosed off so far and weirdly to the right. Now, on the other hand, the "traditional left" in the Anglosphere has not followed suit at all, so what you actually have in the UK, the US and Canada, is conservative thought and positions being championed by those parties in many senses. Biden, Trudeau, Starmer, are in a perfect world, big-c and small-c conservative leaders, and I don't think they're unconscionable to support. Perhaps not ideal to support, perhaps very frustrating to support at times, but I think if the Overton window were such that they were on the right side of things, we'd generally find it quite acceptable.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I ran into thw daughter of that diebold ceo at standing rock.

She ended up on the bernie-to-qanon pipeline.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I see a lot of YouTube videos from outlets like "60 Minutes Australia" and "CNN News 18" that... don't look like material I'd expect from 60 Minutes or CNN. Are these bullshit channels from propagandists?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Zwabu posted:

I see a lot of YouTube videos from outlets like "60 Minutes Australia" and "CNN News 18" that... don't look like material I'd expect from 60 Minutes or CNN. Are these bullshit channels from propagandists?

What does your heart tell you?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CNN News 18 was doing that scam on Facebook years ago.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I come across a ton of channels like this that scream right wing stuff but were obviously just hacked and they didnt even bother to delete the old videos.
Strangely there is an awful lot of sewing related channels that are like this.
I can only assume a sewing site was hacked, I also see a lot of channels that were game channels in Hindi that have been converted.

e: LOL

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1630702094712700928

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 1, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OgNar posted:

I come across a ton of channels like this that scream right wing stuff but were obviously just hacked and they didnt even bother to delete the old videos.
Strangely there is an awful lot of sewing related channels that are like this.
I can only assume a sewing site was hacked, I also see a lot of channels that were game channels in Hindi that have been converted.

e: LOL

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1630702094712700928

Conversely, DeSantis is Persona Non Grata at CPAC this week along with Mike Pence because CPAC is Trump territory and both DeSantis and Pence would get beaten to death if they stepped foot on the premises. In Mike Pence's case probably literally because there's most likely going to be quite a few J6ers milling about the place who'd love to get a second shot at hanging Mike Pence :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
We used to have CPAC threads every year. Is there one anywhere?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Apparently Fox News is not covering CPAC this year. Interesting.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zwabu posted:

Apparently Fox News is not covering CPAC this year. Interesting.

Is anyone? The schism in the GOP really doesn't seem to go away. Hopefully the coming election only increases the split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Not sure where this guy read this in the right wing media sphere, but I just had this conversation with a co-worker.

Him: Did you know we only had slavery for 90 years?

Me: ...We had slavery for hundreds of years. Also 90 years is still inexcusable.

Him: Yeah but we weren't a country until 1776 so it doesn't count.