Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

GD_American posted:

I love bringing people to the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, because there's a giant bag of "wait, what the gently caress?" right outside the door.

(Look at the word on it between the canopy and tail fin)

No arrestor? Doesn’t count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

bulletsponge13 posted:

I feel like I comment in this thread too much, but I wanted to make to tell our recent GBS 'Refugees' thanks.
You guys are bringing some new info and perspectives, and I really appreciate it. Particularly you fine folks that are translating non-English sources.

I'm always surprised that the only real gatekeeping vets do are for people who are way too enthusiastic about saying they were in the service

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

mlmp08 posted:

Arrived where?

Looked like they arrived on an ARC vessel and were taken by train to training grounds in Germany or Poland. That would probably make it either Bremerhaven or Antwerp. Those are the most recent arrivals like a week or two ago so I'm assuming that's what they are for but they probably have at least 4 weeks training before anything happens no?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

lightpole posted:

Looked like they arrived on an ARC vessel and were taken by train to training grounds in Germany or Poland. That would probably make it either Bremerhaven or Antwerp. Those are the most recent arrivals like a week or two ago so I'm assuming that's what they are for but they probably have at least 4 weeks training before anything happens no?

Yeah, that seems most likely. The US already said they wouldn't announce their arrival inside Ukraine before Ukraine announced it, but I'd be pretty surprised if the brads were already there given the stated shipment and training timeline.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The “strategic decision” isn’t necessarily to hold the city and could be that this is an excellent opportunity to attrit the enemy. If the Russian forces have been told that they have to take Bahkmut now to give Putin a victory for his anniversary then they may be exposing forces/depleting reserves now that they shouldn’t.

Like, they’ve had weeks to see that the tactical situation was deteriorating there (with several weeks of credible reports of careful withdrawals) so deciding to reinforce now makes me think holding the city isn’t the primary ‘strategic’ reason.

Edit: ^^^ shoving your new toy into a lost cause hoping that magic happens doesn’t sound like any kind of a rational plan.

Edit2: the classic method of relief for a besieged city/fortress is to make such a ruckus somewhere else that the opponent has to end the siege to use those forces elsewhere that’s more critical. You can’t be strong everywhere.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 1, 2023

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1630775730526203904?t=jWcHjQOiY7-2IOGitGfuYQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1630775733927698432?t=KVdIEEBz1fVn7EWtZdPncQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1630775737828495360?t=NKhCQI3QtmQDHXCOEfmC6w&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1630775739426512896?t=DhikY2s7KR5HSVr9bGLzMg&s=19

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

I remember this from Jane’s Fighters Anthology.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Murgos posted:

Brewster Buffalo says hi.

If it says it in Finnish, it might actually survive to land again.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

GD_American posted:

I love bringing people to the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, because there's a giant bag of "wait, what the gently caress?" right outside the door.

(Look at the word on it between the canopy and tail fin)

Neat. Looked up NAWDC since it's a... uh... suggestive acronym for someone who was born and raised near the good ol' NAWCWD. Turns out NAWDC is another inland Navy base that flies over a different patch of desert, but NAWDC seems to be about training rather than weapons development and test. They must have flown some F-16s for dissimilar, I'm guessing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Murgos posted:

No arrestor? Doesn’t count.

I was curious so I consulted Wikipedia, keeper of every variation of every weapon ever. Apparently the Navy used F16s specifically as adversarial aircraft for training their pilots.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Taerkar posted:

I had that F-19 model. I was not very good at putting it together.

If memory serves, Testors models weren't very good at being put together so don't be too hard on yourself.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

That's kind of funny, because he's a serial fraudster.

:stonk: that's not funny at all! He's something of a superstar in my neck of Facebook and there is so many donations funneled through him to various projects.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BobHoward posted:

They must have flown some F-16s for dissimilar, I'm guessing.

yeah the F-16Ns were specifically bought to be Falconskis

And just for extra brain-meltiness:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm late to barbed wire chat, in addition to the visible concertina wire I was taught to string up wire at ankle height that's hidden in the grass further out in front. People focus on the visible obstacle and get caught up in the wire they can't see.

Helpfully the US puts a lot of their manuals online, some good examples in here:

https://www.trngcmd.marines.mil/Por...2-10-083915-573

e: that is so pretty

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Autocannon and MG work on the trench and the guy still shoots back

https://twitter.com/The3Swamp/status/1630799321443467266

Demining operations progress at great speed

https://twitter.com/TradersAbacus/status/1630744856090890240

Elon understands how the war works

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1630474250569105411?s=20

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Potrzebie posted:

:stonk: that's not funny at all! He's something of a superstar in my neck of Facebook and there is so many donations funneled through him to various projects.

Uh, you might want to spread the word. People can change of course, but I wouldn't send this guy money.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

BobHoward posted:

Neat. Looked up NAWDC since it's a... uh... suggestive acronym for someone who was born and raised near the good ol' NAWCWD. Turns out NAWDC is another inland Navy base that flies over a different patch of desert, but NAWDC seems to be about training rather than weapons development and test. They must have flown some F-16s for dissimilar, I'm guessing.

the word between the canopy and vertical stabilizer is : "NAVY"

hoo yah!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Every time one of these drops, I first think they're the same one, but actually they're all different

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1630867019590430720

I guess they're the "If only the Führer knew" genre, but ofc it's all by design

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U3FkXdDOi8
Two new phone interceptions. First one makes note of how much harder it is to find new recruits for the army. Second is a guy complaining about friendly fire doing for all the drones Russia has on the front lines and saying that if it keeps up, there'll be no drones left for reconnaissance purposes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Power Khan posted:

Autocannon and MG work on the trench and the guy still shoots back

https://twitter.com/The3Swamp/status/1630799321443467266

Holy poo poo that's brutal. He called fire on his own position because an artillery strike wouldn't make things materially worse and might help.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
For the record: in the Finnish army I was a medic NCO, so I guess I'm what you'd call "the best of the best". I don't like to brag about it, though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Gargamel Gibson posted:

For the record: in the Finnish army I was a medic NCO, so I guess I'm what you'd call "the best of the best". I don't like to brag about it, though.

So you gave out ibuprofen on request AND IV fluids for hangovers?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

So you gave out ibuprofen on request AND IV fluids for hangovers?

They said they were an NCO so they told someone else to do it and continued napping.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/russian-soldiers-are-being-transferred-from-belarus-to-the-territory-of-the-luhansk-region/

quote:

Russian military personnel who have undergone training on the territory of Belarus are being transferred to the temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine.

The Community of Railway Workers of Belarus reported this.

It is noted that on February 27, 2023, a military echelon departed from Polonka station (Brest region of Belarus). Its destination is Krasna Mohyla station in the Luhansk region.

The train is scheduled to arrive at the Gukove station in the Rostov region of the Russian Federation on March 3, where the locomotive will be replaced with the one of the so-called “DPR.”
In the last several days, at least three echelons of mobilized soldiers and equipment have left Belarus for the Luhansk direction.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Power Khan posted:

Every time one of these drops, I first think they're the same one, but actually they're all different

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1630867019590430720

I guess they're the "If only the Führer knew" genre, but ofc it's all by design

"Long live Stalin!", I shout, as my death warrant with Stalin's personal signature on it is carried out.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The losses Russia took in capturing Vuhledar are being tallied and they lost more than 130 armored vehicles and an entire brigade of Marines.

These losses are completely unsustainable. Just an absolutely enormous amount of armor lost to capture a strategically insignificant town and they haven't even taken Bakhmut. And if/when they do take Bakhmut, the Ukrainians have dug another series of defensive structures to the west and Russia will have to do it all over again.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1630972129247129600
Vladlen Tatarsky of "we will kill and rob whoever we want" fame came to a temporary realization that mobiks don't want to die for nothing. Then later he said that all the traitors at home should be given criminal cases for daring to speak against this war.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Did they even capture Vuhledar? Thought it was just a failure all around.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

sexy tiger boobs posted:

They did not. Battles in and around the town are still ongoing and still failing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

HonorableTB posted:

The losses Russia took in capturing Vuhledar are being tallied and they lost more than 130 armored vehicles and an entire brigade of Marines.

These losses are completely unsustainable. Just an absolutely enormous amount of armor lost to capture a strategically insignificant town and they haven't even taken Bakhmut. And if/when they do take Bakhmut, the Ukrainians have dug another series of defensive structures to the west and Russia will have to do it all over again.

How many of those abandoned vehicles are subsequently destroyed/captured versus being recovered by Russia though?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Taerkar posted:

How many of those abandoned vehicles are subsequently destroyed/captured versus being recovered by Russia though?

There's been at least a few occasions where attempts to recover damaged but abandoned vehicles by Russia failed, leading to further abandonments or loss of the vehicles, but I don't think we'll really know exactly how much because recovering anything from an active minefield is challenging at best

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

HonorableTB posted:

Google suggests a brigade is around 3000 men, accurate?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I imagine most abandoned vehicles at this point are left as target reference points/pre-sighted for fires.

Unless they are abandoned close to a friendly position, or there is a specific reason- like a command vehicle, I would imagine there is limited returns in recovering a lot of it.

I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine there is any value in risking sending 4 dudes out in a minefield to get a clapped out BMP.

I'm genuinely curious as to how many of those abandoned vehicles were still combat capable, and how many would be deemed worthy of recovery operations in the US military.

Weird Q- does anyone have a similar breakdown for the US invasion of Iraq? Like lost, destroyed, abandoned equipment.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wartranslated has a lot of good stuff on his Twitter today. I'd like to highlight this interview though:

https://wartranslated.com/pravda-com-ua-interview-ukrainian-colonel-oleh-shevchuk/

It's with the colonel that was commanding artillery around Kyiv during the early invasion including Gostomel.

Really interesting on his thoughts about people in occupied territories, people born in Russia (like himself) and people who think the USSR was better.

quote:

Another example: we know the enemy is coming to a certain village, but we don’t know where exactly. We open a Google map, see a store, see its phone number, and dial it: “Good evening, we are from Ukraine! “Do you have any Katsaps in the village?” “Yes.” “Where?” “Behind Grandma Hanna’s house.” “What house does Grandma Hanna have?” “Well, everyone knows her!” So you talk to people a little bit and realize where everything is.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

sexy tiger boobs posted:

They didn't even get into the town, which is a helluva job, considering the stats that HonorableTB posted

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1630902118331699202

zone
Dec 6, 2016

bulletsponge13 posted:

I imagine most abandoned vehicles at this point are left as target reference points/pre-sighted for fires.

Unless they are abandoned close to a friendly position, or there is a specific reason- like a command vehicle, I would imagine there is limited returns in recovering a lot of it.

I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine there is any value in risking sending 4 dudes out in a minefield to get a clapped out BMP.

I'm genuinely curious as to how many of those abandoned vehicles were still combat capable, and how many would be deemed worthy of recovery operations in the US military.

Weird Q- does anyone have a similar breakdown for the US invasion of Iraq? Like lost, destroyed, abandoned equipment.

Most of the vehicles abandoned were registered as damaged + abandoned, it would be tough to tell if they could be salvageable unless you directly took a look at them especially if they ran over a mine or two. The stuff that was abandoned intact was usually crews panicking and running away when they saw other elements of their attack force sustaining losses.
e: Spotting drones nearby has also led to tank/IFV crews abandoning their vehicles and running too, forgot to mention that

As far as i'm aware, Oryx hasn't done anything wrt Iraq war. What articles he does have are mainly related to what ISIS has been getting up to in there. He does have one article about the famous Abu Hajaar though.

zone fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 1, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Well don't link it or anything

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Edit: So I just wanted to warn people, that it turned out that a known serial fraudster by the name of Kenneth Grägg (also known as Gregg) is interviewed in this article, casting a shadow of doubt over the rest of the article as well. I will leave the translation here for future reference, and so the following discussion makes sense. On a personal note I am very disappointed in that Yle managed to let that slip through.

Yesterday Yle released an interview with a unnamed Finnish officer who had gone to Ukraine to train Ukrainian troops. Considering this interview almost immediately lead to a rebuttal interview, also released on Yle, from the earlier mentioned Major General Toveri, as well as a docent in military sciences, it seems to have made some waves in certain circles. To summarize his opinions, Russia will most likely win because Ukrainian military leadership lacks initiative and do not understand mobile warfare. I am not sure how much of the stuff he presents is fact, and how much of it is just opinion from one officer, because he does seem to say some really stupid stuff as well. The larger article also contains a interview with another Finnish trainer in Ukraine, who corraborates some of the earlier opinions but is a lot more positive in the general, as well as an interview with a Finnish soldier who claims he has been fighting on the frontlines and shares the first officers opinions. I think this is just the right forum to get opinions on how much bullshit there is in here, and if there is any actual interesting nuggets of fact in there. I have seen parts of similar opinions pop up here and there before, but I don't think I've seen it all together coming from a individual who perhaps has a rather unique perspective on the situation. Also there is a lot of "the Finnish army training is the best in the world" which should be pretty funny for anyone who has experienced it first hand.

Author: Mika Mäkeläinen
Release date: 28.02.23
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20019659

quote:

According to a Finnish officer, Ukraine lacks the skill to attack and that is why the war will end with a bitter surprise - "Russia will not lose this war"

The Finnish soldiers interviewed by Yle consider the training of the Finnish Defense Forces to be the best in the world, especially against Russia. That's know-how that the armed forces of Ukraine desperately need now.

KYIV Now that the Russian armed forces have been floundering in Ukraine for a year, most Ukrainians and Finns believe in Ukraine's victory.

It is pure hope, says a high-ranking Finnish officer who has been following the war on the ground since last April.

In the officer's opinion, the Ukrainian troops do not know how to attack and their training is shoddy, as if directly from the Soviet Union.

- Ukrainians imagine that they are good soldiers. However, it doesn't make you a skilled soldier to be afraid in the trenches for eight years. Education makes a soldier, the officer says.

Therefore, the Finnish officer has taken it upon himself to improve the training of Ukrainian soldiers, especially non-commissioned officers.

He does not want to appear in public with his own name or face. According to the officer, with his military rank, his actions in Ukraine could arouse anger even in Russia, although he is no longer in permanent service in Finland and does not represent Finland anyway.

Being anonymous, he can also talk about the situation with exceptional frankness.

His identity is known to Yle. Yle met him in January in the capital of Ukraine, Kyiv.

The officer is a dissident of the war, as many Western experts believe in Ukraine's war success. In the interview he gave to Yle, the officer demolishes several established concepts about war.

In the officer's opinion, the only thing that has saved Ukraine so far is that Russia has fallen into equally bad mistakes. However, Russia's mistakes should not be trifled with.

- The Russian troops have learned their lesson, but the Ukrainians haven't, the officer says.

Officer: Ukraine's and Russia's losses are equally heavy

In the officer's opinion, the level of competence of the Ukrainian armed forces is confusingly low - and the more he has seen of it, the worse he thinks the level is.

- Really bad leadership, bad tactical and fighting skills. They have taken examples mainly from video games and movies, the officer says.

Particularly fatal for the continuation of the war is the fact that the officer believes that the Ukrainian forces are incapable of fast-paced mobile warfare. That's why the war has degenerated into old-fashioned positional warfare, where the soldiers of the other side are killed with artillery.

- Ukraine's attack is a frontal attack. They don't know how to flank, the officer says.

According to the officer, a frontal attack is easier to lead, but the end result is a barely moving front line and huge losses. The price of a positional war is heavy for both, but Ukraine has less reserves than Russia.

Based on the information he gathered from the front, the officer estimates that Ukraine's losses in the war are at the same level as Russia's.

According to Ukraine's official estimate, Russia has already lost around 150,000 soldiers in the war, but Western estimates are lower. Ukraine does not talk about its own losses.

Ukraine's counterattacks "lucky"

Of course, Ukraine has regained control of some of the areas that Russia occupied at the beginning of its major offensive in the direction of Kyiv, Kharkiv and Kherson.

- They were lucky, the officer acknowledges.

The officer criticizes the Ukrainians for not trying to surrounding the Russians. Defeating the attacker with a blockade would save the cities, because buildings would not have to be bombed to the ground, as happened, for example, in the northwestern suburbs of Kyiv last spring.

According to the officer, there would also have been excellent conditions for guerrilla activity on the northwest side of Kyiv, but Ukraine did not use that method. In addition, the Russian attack would have been stopped faster with the use of mines.

Instead of Ukraine's merits, Russia's withdrawal was due, in the officer's opinion, to Russia's own mistakes.

In the case of Kharkiv, Russia had left a gap in the front, which was mainly filled by the Donbas rebels. Ukraine captured the area east of Kharkiv quickly and almost without fighting, as the few soldiers on the opposing side fled.

Russia also withdrew from Kherson almost without resistance. The withdrawal of the Russians was mainly due to the fact that Ukraine destroyed the bridges over the Dnieper River, making it impossible to maintain the troops.

Now the same lack of bridges prevents Ukraine from attacking the east bank of the river. And Ukraine has not attacked elsewhere either.

- It seems that Russia has the initiative. One could almost say that Ukraine is losing the war if nothing decisive happens, the officer says.

Officer: If Crimea is threatened, Russia would use a nuclear weapon

According to the officer, it is wishful thinking that Ukraine would ever take Crimea back.

- It is unlikely that Ukraine will even get Donbas, so if they could even get to the starting point, it would be a defensive victory, the officer says.

In the officer's opinion, the biggest problem is not the lack of weaponry, but the fact that the skills of the Ukrainian armed forces are simply not enough.

- The Ukrainians have a terrible will and desire to win, but with this warfare it will not succeed. I haven't seen any signs of it, the officer says.

He reminds that Crimea is very important to Russia.

- Russia will not lose this war, because Russia is a nuclear weapon state. If Ukraine launched a major attack against Crimea, Russia would probably use a tactical nuclear weapon, the officer says.

He believes that as a result of the war, Ukraine will have to give up the territories occupied by Russia, as it would be too difficult to evict the Russian soldiers.

- This is not the end of Ukraine, but the border is changing. It has to be accepted, just like we did in the winter war. Nothing can be done about it, the officer predicts.

Ukraine dominates Western public opinion

The scenario of Ukraine's territorial losses sounds bad in Finland and Europe. In the officer's opinion, it is due to unmet expectations fueled by the public.

According to the officer, the Western countries' image of the war situation depends entirely on the information produced by Ukraine. The other side is not listened to, which is understandable since Russia lies so blatantly.

- The media is fully involved in Ukrainian propaganda. In a way, it is hyped that Ukraine would win, the officer says.

According to the officer, the most realism can be found in the US intelligence agencies, but how much of it ends up in the hands of allies is another matter.

In the officer's opinion, even the leadership of the Finnish state does not have a realistic view of the power relations of the war, because its picture of the situation is mainly based on public sources.

- Marin says that the war will end when Russia leaves Ukraine. Not going to happen. In Finland, we are overoptimistic, the officer says.

According to the officer, the situation at the front looks really bad for Ukraine. The chances of a Ukrainian counterattack are slim.

"Ukrainians haven't been able to get through Russia's fortified positions really anywhere," the officer says.

- If the real picture was given to the public, then everyone would start to become skeptical. And the will to win would fade. But the truth should be understood, he continues.

Finnish education would suit Ukraine perfectly

The West is trying to turn the balance of power in Ukraine's favor with massive arms aid. The officer thinks it is necessary, but it is not enough.

According to him, the most effective way to change the situation would be better training of soldiers - and Finnish military training would suit the Ukrainians very well.

- The Finnish army currently has the best training in the world against Russia. We have been practicing it for a hundred years, even fought two wars, the officer reminds.

The United States has specially trained Ukrainian special forces, but the model does not receive praise from the officers.

- No one else has such skills in the forest and fields as Finland. That should be trained here, he says.

Finns have already provided some training in Ukraine. However, it has been small-scale and has taken place on a voluntary basis. According to the officer, there would be any number of willing trainers in Finland if the defense ministries of Ukraine and Finland could agree on the matter.

- Reservists would be arriving in droves. Financially, it would be a piece of cake, the officer says - that is, a small amount.

According to him, increasing military training would be the most cost-effective way to help Ukrainians.

- That's why I'm here now, when it's a pity how poorly trained privates and non-commissioned officers are sent to the front, and they come back in a coffin, says the officer.

The attitude problem of Ukrainians makes education difficult

In training, however, the officer has come across a surprisingly difficult problem: It is really difficult to learn new doctrines in Ukraine.

- If you start telling the Ukrainians another option, the Ukrainians take it as a criticism, and immediately start defending themselves. The ability to take criticism is really bad, the officer says.

In that respect, Russia and Ukraine follow the same traditions.

- It's a Soviet system where you just do what you're told, he says.

The interpreter of the Ukrainian armed forces used by the officer has indeed insisted that the Finn should not be so blunt.

The hierarchical nature of the organization causes more problems. Inferior officers do not dare to suggest changes to their superiors because it would be considered criticism.

- The captains and majors tell me that the idea is good, but their pay grade is not enough to take the matter forward, the officer laments.

However, change is coming. According to the Finnish officer, young Ukrainian officers and civil servants are finally warming up to the reform of education. It also opens up better opportunities for Finland to start training on Ukrainian soil.

Finnish soldier: Training has improved, and Ukraine will win the war

Yle also met two Finnish soldiers who participated in the battles in Kyiv and asked them to evaluate the skills of the Ukrainian forces. One of them has a rather optimistic view, but the other thinks that the critique presented by the Finnish officer is right.

Kenneth Grägg says that he works with three Ukrainian battalions on the eastern front in training, among other things.

In Grägg's opinion, the criticism of Ukrainian officers' military skills is partially justified. Last year, according to Grägg, reserve lieutenants who had attended university were so poorly trained that even the rookies knew more.

- It went right to poo poo, says Grägg, but according to him, the situation is much brighter now.

According to Grägg, the chain of command has also become more flexible. In Ukraine, private soldiers are now given more decision-making power in a combat situation than before, and the training of non-commissioned officers has improved.

According to Grägg, Ukraine's recent losses are mainly due to the fact that there are so many Russian soldiers due to the mobilization. This was seen, for example, in January, when Russia seized the city of Soledar.

- We didn't have enough artillery and the Russians came through en masse, Grägg says.

However, according to Grägg, Russian mobilization will not work as well in the future, because Russia's weapons are running low.

- They can force a million men to the front, but what will they be given? An axe? Grägg asks.

According to Grägg, Western arms aid to Ukraine will change the balance of power. If Ukraine receives battle tanks, howitzers and F-16 fighters from the West, Grägg predicts that the war will end with Ukraine's victory by Midsummer.

Finnish fighter: "Not even an idea on how to move under fire"

Another Finnish soldier in Ukraine does not want to appear recognizable in public, so he is called Erkki in this story. Yle also met him at the end of January in Kyiv, and his identity is known to Yle.

In Erkki's opinion, Ukraine cannot continue against Russia with the same Soviet military doctrines as before, because Russia will have more soldiers in the long run.

- The Ukrainians fight a lot of positional warfare and they have no will to attack, Erkki says.

According to Erkki, the biggest problem in Ukraine is the lack of group leaders and group leader training, which leads to poor communication and confused actions in a combat situation.

- Ukrainians don't even know how to protect themselves and move under fire, Erkki says. For example, soldiers just advance straight and don't aim properly.

According to him, a lack of initiative can be seen in a combat situation, and not even the preparations are effective.

- When the soldiers are at the barracks, they just lie around, even though they should be training, says Erkki.

The contrast to Erkki's own education during his military service is big.

All three Finns agree on one thing: Finnish military training is the best in the world and that is why it should now be offered to Ukraine as well.

Set fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 1, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Power Khan posted:

They didn't even get into the town, which is a helluva job, considering the stats that HonorableTB posted

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1630902118331699202

That guy has a torniquet on his leg :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

If those were BTGs, that's three of them wrecked and needing to be rebuilt, probably 4-600 casualties from just those units. They're not getting any of the abandoned vehicles back any time soon.