Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Arist posted:

Shoulda hit Hyper Potion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It's me, the jackass who snaps off two Vercures if I don't get insta-healed after a rez or raidwide

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I let the carbuncle shield decide my fate

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Feeling sickened at the despicable Namazu slander on the last page

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

I let the carbuncle shield decide my fate

:same:

Also getting lucky and having Rekindle available at the right moment (it will never be the right moment)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Manaward save me.

(Manaward rarely saves me. :()

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like to imagine BLMs would prioritize staying in their lines than they would cheesing a fight if they made manaward a single hit invincibility or something.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That would lead to some unholy warped tank strata. So we should do it

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Reinventing Perfect Dodge, are we?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

hopeandjoy posted:

Manaward save me.

(Manaward rarely saves me. :()

Doesn't stop me from pushing it and getting that Despair offthen taking the damage anyway

Also Moogles and Namazu are both wonderful

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Smart people love Moogles because they see part of themselves in them

Fools hate moogles because they see part of themselves in them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hogama posted:

Reinventing Perfect Dodge, are we?

Nah, a Manaward that works like that is actually pretty close to a long-term Ninja technique. Image in FFV, Utsusemi in the Bravely games, I know it's appeared in a few places.

And honestly, it sounds like a really interesting idea in a game like this. It wouldn't be too powerful in a game like this that rarely hits you with only one big move (at least, outside of plot stuff/forced phase progression/enrages), but could have some really fun niche tech. It feels like a perfect idea for a Blue Mage spell that suddenly breaks a bunch of raids in fun ways.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Isn't that Diamondback? I know I've seen that used for "survive this otherwise one-shot hit" in BLU content.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Nah, a Manaward that works like that is actually pretty close to a long-term Ninja technique. Image in FFV, Utsusemi in the Bravely games, I know it's appeared in a few places.
XIV's Perfect Dodge was only slightly functionally different from invulnerability in that it could avoid additional effects that took effect on hit and not only damage (since you didn't even take the hit at all), and was one of the main reasons they started leaning on magic-damage tankbusters in the first place.
But in another sense, they also changed old Manawall from nulling two physical attacks to creating a shield based on 20% of the Black Mage's max HP.
I don't think the team really likes moves that obliviate damage except on long Tank cooldowns or side-content with its own systems (so... Blue Mage). And even the former they've been giving a bit of the stink-eye with things like tankbusters that apply DoTs that outlast the active timer.

Antivehicular posted:

Isn't that Diamondback? I know I've seen that used for "survive this otherwise one-shot hit" in BLU content.
Almost, Diamondback only reduces damage by 90%.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Antivehicular posted:

Diamondback heavily resists any hits and knockback for ten seconds; we're talking literally completely nullufying one shot.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

You're telling me I can get all these horses, get a mount widely known to be associated with the Far East, but you can't give me a normal goddamn horse once I'm actually on the steppe?

There's even a Namazu quest that puts you on one, so we know it's coded.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The lack of a Regular Goddamn Horse is a continuing tragedy

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why the hell would you want a Horse when you have a Horsebird Chocobo?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The regular goddamn horse is just those horses without the glow and colored brown, which is why the mane looks so weird.

I want a regular rear end horse, but with better looking hair.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I though regular horses were from PVP

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Antivehicular posted:

The lack of a Regular Goddamn Horse is a continuing tragedy

That and a Regular rear end Falcon gently caress all these glowing birds and this airship named Falcon

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Hogama posted:

And even the former they've been giving a bit of the stink-eye with things like tankbusters that apply DoTs that outlast the active timer.

This doesn't matter. The amount a dot ticks for on you is snapshotted to when it's applied. So for the tb bleeds and raid wide beelds (p7s) you apply mits hard before spark of life to save yourself tens of thousands of damage from the dot. The dots are incredibly nasty without any mit.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

This doesn't matter. The amount a dot ticks for on you is snapshotted to when it's applied. So for the tb bleeds and raid wide beelds (p7s) you apply mits hard before spark of life to save yourself tens of thousands of damage from the dot. The dots are incredibly nasty without any mit.

What they're saying is that you can't use invulns to cheese the tank-swaps, since even if the second hit is resisted with e.g. Hallowed Ground, the DoT applied by that second hit will still tick for several hundred thousand damage once the buff wears off (unless you get profoundly lucky with server ticks and the buff lasts long enough to cover the entire DoT duration, but that's not really something you can rely on on the rare occasions where its even possible.) If you have a relevant damage vuln, even if you take 0 damage from the hit itself, the DoT is still affected by that vuln.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 1, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Allarion posted:

I though regular horses were from PVP

Yup, 3 different ones, all plain horses, but all covered in varying degrees of barding.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The regular horse is locked behind clearing HoH four times lol

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Heh, I was wondering for a moment why there was suddenly a potted tree by the aetheryte I didn't remember being there a few moments ago, then the in-game announcement for Little Ladies' Day popped up.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh is it Little Ladies' Day already? Guess I better put on my seneschal costume.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The dress code in Goblin Ul'dah right now seems to be Fat Cat hoodies, so I wouldn't worry too much

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

The dress code in Goblin Ul'dah right now seems to be Fat Cat hoodies, so I wouldn't worry too much

So lazy, stay at home, and eat a whole tub of Häagen-Dazs kinda Little Ladies Day.

edit: It occurs to me that I had mentally mixed up "hoodie" with "onesie".

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 1, 2023

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Dareon posted:

You're telling me I can get all these horses, get a mount widely known to be associated with the Far East, but you can't give me a normal goddamn horse once I'm actually on the steppe?

There's even a Namazu quest that puts you on one, so we know it's coded.

You can get a horse:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Spuzzz posted:

You can get a horse:

Someday...

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Spuzzz posted:

You can get a horse:

Just three more wins until I get the Flames horse.

So, you know, 10-12 more Frontlines matches given how resistant the average player is to listening to simple directions.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Thundarr posted:

Just three more wins until I get the Flames horse.

So, you know, 10-12 more Frontlines matches given how resistant the average player is to listening to simple directions.

I was surprised at how balanced frontlines is but losing 2/3s of the time doesn't feel great.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
i've seen some amazing catherding before but i assume it requires m+kb and liberal use of macros. really hard to type directions quickly and place markers on controller

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Spuzzz posted:

I was surprised at how balanced frontlines is but losing 2/3s of the time doesn't feel great.

I think the biggest problem with Frontlines (not that I think it'd be great if you fixed only that) is the fact that while the general approach to the game mode in terms of per-game rewards, the daily challenge, and the general chaos of the game mode is supposed to incentivize just giving it your best shot and have fun because there's only so much you can do to secure an actual win... ultimately the 'final' reward for the mode as much as one exists is only for coming first in a bunch of matches. It just makes trying to take it seriously feel so much worse, because it turns those second place finishes from 'we did pretty well and that's enough' into just a straight-up 'we lost'. There's no difference between a neck-and-neck falter at the last minute and a curbstomp where you never get any score to speak of, because both of them amount to zero progress.

Frontlines would feel so much less painful if those achievements weren't 'win 100 matches' but rather a scoring system where you need 300 points for that final achievement, with first place giving you three points, second place two points, and last place one point. That means it still incentivizes actually winning, but the 66% of people who didn't win don't come away with nothing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Spuzzz posted:

Mine is currently about 31%/33%/36% which kinda sucks tbh. I don't claim to be some sort of pvp super star, but it does get tiring to keep losing by getting dropped into the least coordinated of three random teams. At least series XP means that those losses aren't total wastes of time aside from the daily roulette bonus.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
The series stuff has made frontlines more fun because I’m getting something out of it even when we lose, gotta say.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my biggest problem with modern frontlines is that i can't queue up with 7 NIN goons and get a 60% winrate anymore :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Firebert posted:

The regular horse is locked behind clearing HoH four times lol

Juedi is for True Heroes only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

hazardousmouse posted:

i've seen some amazing catherding before but i assume it requires m+kb and liberal use of macros. really hard to type directions quickly and place markers on controller
I REALLY need a macro that tells me (and other folks) when mid pops open.

In a game a couple nights ago I asked in /a, and people couldn't tell me.