Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

With how much these clowns love Ruthenia/Galacia, you’d think they’d be glad to get rid of the Donbas considering it wasn’t a part of either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Endman posted:

With how much these clowns love Ruthenia/Galacia, you’d think they’d be glad to get rid of the Donbas considering it wasn’t a part of either.

gotta fight'em over there so we don't have to fight'em over here

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cuttlefush posted:

i dont know what the deal with the john mcintyre guy is, but he repeatedly says "im a communist", describes taking back america in a way that doesn't sound quite right. he also apparently brought a a fancy version of his... high school diploma with him? 6:33 in the video. he apparently did a 2-year enlistment, which I guess they did make a thing, but i've never seen someone reminisce about their enlistment with a smile like that.

this boy ain't right. "We've gotta fight nazism everywhere we go, even in America." Like, even in America?

That fat texan guy who had been living in Donbass made sense. this guy sounds weird as gently caress and the situation he's in makes no sense. i would not let this guy into my polycule.

Starting at 14:45, he said he got known as a whistle blower (while trying to join azov?), and then fucks off to odessa, and begs his family for $300 to get from odessa, to chisinau, moldova where he "made contact" and got his visa, to istanbul, to moscow. why did he bring his high school diploma

Maybe he wanted to move to Russia. I hate to stereotype white Texan troops, but maybe for bigotry reasons. Seems a hard way to do it though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Maybe he wanted to move to Russia. I hate to stereotype white Texan troops, but maybe for bigotry reasons. Seems a hard way to do it though.

Seems easier to drop everything and just take a bus out of the country, maybe he thought he could be a "Snowden."

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Weka posted:

didn't really get that vibe. it's worth watch the two times i listed just for how weird those parts are. also making a point to say he had to call his family to scrounge $300 when he had been planning to infiltrate azov. just a weird detail that doesn't make much sense.

Ardennes posted:

Seems easier to drop everything and just take a bus out of the country, maybe he thought he could be a "Snowden."

there are snippets of him taking video of the group he was with then little snippets of vlogs. i hope someone watches some of the video and can corroborate the weird vibes (or not). didn't seem like it was a rash unplanned decision though.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

didn't really get that vibe. it's worth watch the two times i listed just for how weird those parts are. also making a point to say he had to call his family to scrounge $300 when he had been planning to infiltrate azov. just a weird detail that doesn't make much sense.

there are snippets of him taking video of the group he was with then little snippets of vlogs. i hope someone watches some of the video and can corroborate the weird vibes (or not). didn't seem like it was a rash unplanned decision though.

Granted, it seems like a lot of the Westerns who came in go around with GOPros (not made by GoPro). It seems like a poor idea but at the same time they usually don't see much frontline fighting.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

but it's crimea back there

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

so apparently wagner took out the literal Boris Johnson Brigade:

the year is 2030 and the taiwan strait crisis is about to go hot. as the usn eighth fleet prepares to tangle with the plan east sea fleet, a provocation is prepared to keep the russians busy.

the separate 14th special forces "joseph r. biden" brigade along with the reconstituted 24th separate "boris johnson" mechanized brigade are to advance onto east kiev from their west kyiv deployment garrison and overrun as much of the city as possible

opposing them is a garrison consisting of a company of wagner pmc instructors, the 122 "iosef stalin" motorized rifle brigade, and the "vavilov" territorial defense battalion

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

sure is, that flag definitely says “boris johnson” though. not sure if it’s an official thing or just some local commander who’s a huge fan for some reason

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Comrade Koba posted:

sure is, that flag definitely says “boris johnson” though. not sure if it’s an official thing or just some local commander who’s a huge fan for some reason

oh, i was just looking at the crest. lmao

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Cuttlefush posted:

I mean at minimum I'd assume it'd be the original Crima recognition, independent Luhansk/Donetsk. I assume a land bridge connecting Crimea is also necessary? Don't know.

I think Russia's last statement was no plans to negotiate at this time, but that'd probably change if Ukraine changed it's stance. The "Chinese Peace Proposal" that got some news is uh, not really a proposal. https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/zxxx_662805/202302/t20230224_11030713.html.
Considering Putin already annexed the latter 2 oblasts along with another 2 oblasts in September last year I don't think they would settle for "independent".

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Budzilla posted:

Considering Putin already annexed the latter 2 oblasts along with another 2 oblasts in September last year I don't think they would settle for "independent".

right, duh. my bad. I always thought of recognizing as "independent" before that was also just "recognize as not part of ukraine anymore". I assumed that the "independent" republics would function the same as federal subjects.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Russia only took Crimea so easily because it did it during the Winter Olympics. Unfortunately Putin didn't have another world event to use.

Ukraine sent all of its troops to watch the Olympics, leaving the flag unguarded. Russia snuck in and captured it during the closing ceremonies. You can complain all you want but they should have had someone on flag duty back at base.

yellowcar posted:

also crimeans voted overwhelmingly in a referendum to join russia afterwards and there's been a history of secession of crimea from ukraine proper since at least 1991

Its always fun to ask dumb shitheads who think Crimea longs to return to Ukraine about what happened to the Crimean government in 1995

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don't see the Russians retreating from the "landbridge" voluntarily to be honest either, it is simply too important strategically to protect Crimea and provide a bufferzone for Russian facilities there.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
looks like the ukranians are starting to come to terms with the defeat

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1630835288711868417?s=46&t=0s8Rg6OZZ8Y0cFP_E71c_g

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1630817644277366785

time for a ukranian counter-attack?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

the year is 2030 and the taiwan strait crisis is about to go hot. as the usn eighth fleet prepares to tangle with the plan east sea fleet, a provocation is prepared to keep the russians busy.

the separate 14th special forces "joseph r. biden" brigade along with the reconstituted 24th separate "boris johnson" mechanized brigade are to advance onto east kiev from their west kyiv deployment garrison and overrun as much of the city as possible

opposing them is a garrison consisting of a company of wagner pmc instructors, the 122 "iosef stalin" motorized rifle brigade, and the "vavilov" territorial defense battalion

Accompanying them is the HMS Ark Royale, still not equipped with planes or defensive systems. They're just there so they can pretend they're helping. It's support ships are a small flotilla of tugboats because the engines keep breaking.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I keep saying this. My army of mystical golden warriors just needs all the gold in the world everywhere and then they can beat back the demon hordes and save you all.

No don't ask what the gold is used for or why I'm building ships loaded up with fresh woden crates instead of my famous golden soldiers. Have faith and keep giving me all your gold.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Arguably, it is the exact opposite, but it is the Atlantic so it makes sense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CODChimera posted:

"Providing Ukraine with the supplies it needs to force a Russian military collapse is the shortest path to peace."

if the spigot of arms to Ukraine stops, and the Ukrainians no longer have anything to shoot with, then the fighting stops

this is the same principle as applied to how the US is a prime factor in Israel-Palestine relations, because Israel would not be able to maintain its apartheid state without American support and supplies

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
apparently someone is stealing a bunch of swedish speed cameras and obviously it's the russians using the speed cameras in drones because the russians are out of DSLRs to put in their drones :confused:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/speed-cameras-stolen-from-sweden-may-be-ending-up-in-russian-drones-report

e: dont ask about who DJI is or where they are based

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

apparently someone is stealing a bunch of swedish speed cameras and obviously it's the russians using the speed cameras in drones because the russians are out of DSLRs to put in their drones :confused:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/speed-cameras-stolen-from-sweden-may-be-ending-up-in-russian-drones-report

It's okay the European industrial base will just make new ones.

By which I mean they'll order more from China.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Some Russian spy put spoiled milk in my fridge and took the fresh milk I bought 4 months ago, I will get my revenge.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ukraine should stop fighting because it is the option available to them that will lead to the least death of Ukrainians, destruction of Ukrainian cities, towns, villages and infrastructure and thus generally lead to the least amount of suffering for Ukrainians.

This is true because this is not an existential war for the survival of Ukrainian people.

It is doubly true because Ukraine lacks a credible path to bringing this war to an end other than defeat. Perhaps with the one exception of direct NATO intervention, which would however very severely risk nuclear war, and thus ought to be avoided at all costs.

Now, I am under no illusion that the Ukrainian government will do this, and that is because the Ukrainian government is not attempting to minimize the suffering of Ukrainians, and thus not acting in accordance with the best interests of its own citizenry. This is a massive crime, in my view.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Some Russian spy put spoiled milk in my fridge and took the fresh milk I bought 4 months ago, I will get my revenge.

A filthy Russian saboteur made my boot outsoles wear out after I walked on them for over a year. Imagine that. A sneaky Russian creeping into my home every night with a small file, whittling down the tread as I slept, making me seek help from a cobbler.

I always knew it was them.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

everyone should stop fighting and hug

maybe kiss

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ardennes posted:

DancingShade posted:

A filthy Russian saboteur made my boot outsoles wear out after I walked on them for over a year. Imagine that. A sneaky Russian creeping into my home every night with a small file, whittling down the tread as I slept, making me seek help from a cobbler.

I always knew it was them.

there was an actual story in swedish news a few years ago where a 300m tall tv tower suddenly fell over for no apparent reason. there were loving weeks of speculation in the media about secret GRU strike teams conducting clandestine sabotage operations, and everyone ignored the local technician who pointed out that the public budget cuts meant the site didn't get maintenance work done often enough and that the bolts holding the stabilizer wires in place could just have rusted through or worn out.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Death By The Blues posted:

No way its 2k troops in Bakhmut. Someone stationed there admitted the average life expectancy for a new recruit is around 4 hours.

https://twitter.com/DoctorGerhard/status/1629008339735552000

jesus christ, they're sending newborns to the front

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

i mean the shortest path to peace is they surrender surely?

Or both sides just stop fighting

i'm sure we could workshop a bunch of ways that are faster than grinding the Russian army down

i don't think the atlantic are writing in good faith

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
technically speaking the shortest path to peace is probably nuclear war

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Turtle Watch posted:

I actually don’t mind illegal on a technicality that under certain laws it actually is illegal, now whether either party is under the jurisdiction of the applicable international laws is less clear. Even less clear is who will prosecute and administer punishment.

It’s when they put ‘unprovoked’ or ‘unjustified’ that I zone out. Like all of a sudden causality in the universe has ceased and the war sprang into being. You don’t have to agree with the justification or think the provocation justifies the war, but there is a relational line between Maidan, Minsk, and an ongoing civil war, that led to Russias illegal invasion. It doesn’t even necessarily make Ukraine not the more-wronged party to admit this, but message discipline has to come before reality.

e: for example under Ukrainian law it is illegal for Russian troops to engage in unauthorized military activities in Ukraine. Textbook illegality, open and shut case if they press charges.

See generally when someone says "unprovoked" or "unjustified" I just chalk it up to probably not knowing all the facts, which is very easy to achieve when you're in the western media bubble. I think plenty of uninformed leftists are in that spot. Calling it illegal is generally just a high and mighty judgement and not something even remotely based on legal grounds because that would require effort to build the case for it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Why have peace when there is profit to be made?

Not for the innocent people caught in the middle, or the common folk elsewhere of course. gently caress them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The Ukranians are calling it quits and giving up on Bakhmut. hope it was worth it for them to hold on this long...

https://twitter.com/AP_Europe/status/1630892053763706884?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Why have peace when there is profit to be made?

50 years today:

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Leandros posted:

Calling it illegal is generally just a high and mighty judgement and not something even remotely based on legal grounds because that would require effort to build the case for it.

I can see that. For me calling it illegal almost seems to trivialize it somehow. Most people have probably done something ‘illegal’ in their life, even if it was just jaywalking. A lot of ‘legality’ is stupid.

Calling the war illegal is gives me the same impression as someone trying to convince a murderer to stop killing people because it is against the law. It is an appeal to authority and not to any morality. Of course if you believe that the law and morals are the same thing, and the US is a good guy upholding International Norms I suppose this does not seem jarring.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Calling war illegal has the same power as going "hey that's theft! stop it right now!" to the gang of criminals loading your entire home into a truck as you stand by the front gate, tapping your foot in polite ineffectual anger.

"I'm going to write a stern letter to the neighborhood watch newsletter!" you call out as they drive away into the night, leaving you standing in only your jocks as they took your clothes too.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Why does literally everything need to be named after an SS division.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Why does literally everything need to be named after an SS division.

why not? name me one thing the SS did that was bad or unethical...

edit : oh wow it looks like russian disinfo agents have been hard at work on wikipedia, the entire article on the SS was vandalized...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

"illegal war" was a phrase that was used once upon a time to describe the invasion of Iraq, but it's a very Democrat-brained mentality because it assumes that invading would have been just peachy had it gone through the right committees and floor votes

it's like when Democrats criticized Trump for launching missile strikes on Syria by saying that he didn't have Congressional approval: it completely sidesteps the question of whether Congress would have given him that approval anyway, and whether Congressional approval makes it okay to blow up parts of Syria

democrats supported Iraq. there was a declaration of war and everything. it didn’t get a un vote tho

so if you think they all wars need UNSC approval then it wasn’t legal . but no one really thinks that