Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wow I have never skipped a cutscene in Destiny 2 because the characters were cringe before. I wonder what happened after rescuing Osiris?

I'll do discount dollar store silver surfer's quest this weekend. I can't wait to hear more of his "humorous quips".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012
I can't believe they made the dialogue worse than the D2Y1 stuff just to sell campaign skip passes, bravo Bungie.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I hope that there is an exotic that turns me into one of the glistening hardbodies

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
So what’s the over/under the reason as to why they introduced Neomuna and Cloudstriders in the penultimate Destiny expansion and then didn’t elaborate on them at all being because they’re the focus of one of Bungie’s other in-development games

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Jet posted:

So what’s the over/under the reason as to why they introduced Neomuna and Cloudstriders in the penultimate Destiny expansion and then didn’t elaborate on them at all being because they’re the focus of one of Bungie’s other in-development games

Bad writing.

They must have hired some former bioware staff who expected everyone to read the tie-in novels and comics that nobody has ever heard of before to understand anything. Remember this guy? Well if you read my comic that only sold 100 copies to different municipal libraries you'd know!

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Campaign levels feel less distinct and less "doom eternally" than WQ, which is a shame.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Finished legendary campaign. Thoughts:
* Final boss was a loving beast, even if it was recycled elements from previous content, honestly loved it. Had quite a few annoying deaths from getting Incendior'ed off a ledge while Grapple was on cooldown, though. In general the Legendary campaign felt like a perfect difficulty level
* Strand Titan took some getting used to but is significantly better than I expected it to be. The grind to unlock all aspects/fragments on it looks awful though.
* Speaking of grind, lmao that additional landing zones for Neomuna are gated behind Nimbus rep
* Neomuna is actually pretty cool, I like the little radio broadcasts
* I thought Nimbus was cringe, and then I met Quinn post-campaign, and no, it's all of Neomuna that's cringe. Like, Rohan is the one normal person in an entire planet of cringey people
* I'm actually okay with the mod changes for now, although it definitely needs work
* "Emotional support poukas"
* What the gently caress was that ending, did they really just go Surprise L without any attempt to explain what the Veil was, if they're trying to pull an Empire Strikes Back they succeeded in a dumb way

Enjoyed myself but definitely closer to Beyond Light in writing/story than WQ. Back to the usual gameplay, I suppose, just with a new shiny area now.

At least it looks like the post-campaign poo poo with finding the Cloud Strider servers might be a hook to do more backstory about this poo poo.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ullerrm posted:

Finished legendary campaign. Thoughts:
* Final boss was a loving beast, even if it was recycled elements from previous content, honestly loved it. Had quite a few annoying deaths from getting Incendior'ed off a ledge while Grapple was on cooldown, though. In general the Legendary campaign felt like a perfect difficulty level
* Strand Titan took some getting used to but is significantly better than I expected it to be. The grind to unlock all aspects/fragments on it looks awful though.
* Speaking of grind, lmao that additional landing zones for Neomuna are gated behind Nimbus rep

* What the gently caress was that ending, did they really just go Surprise L without any attempt to explain what the Veil was, if they're trying to pull an Empire Strikes Back they succeeded in a dumb way

At least it looks like the post-campaign poo poo with finding the Cloud Strider servers might be a hook to do more backstory about this poo poo.

Yeah final boss was oof.

tips for people if they are struggling

I eventually abandoned strand and just went back to void hunter- you can position yourself on the edge platforms where you can shoot boss' head over the boxes while it can't hit you, other than the death from above attack. When that happens get outta dodge onto the side railings.

Don't bother moving between different platforms, just focus on keeping one cleared.

Tormenters seem weaker to precision damage- I used a machine gun and could take them out pretty fast, maybe linear could work to. Don't use heavy on the boss, just plink away in safety behind the box, save heavy for tormentors/phase 2

Also take out the tormenters right away, don't try to burst the boss down cause they stick around for phase 2 and you'll be hosed.

witherhoard is great, because you can chokepoint the adds trying to rush you, hit the boss while you hide in phase 1 or run away in phase 2

the strand unlock grind didn't seem too bad- just making an effort to get kills with abilities while loving around on Neomuna got me most of the available ones so far, plus I guess maybe some quest rewards. HVTS also drop 10

getting enough rep didn't seem that bad to me, I had enough to get it right away after campaign. Though I did do some exploring/one of Nimbus' "do patrol poo poo" quests

Veil- the exotic mission 'unfinished business' explores this a little bit. No real answers but there are some more tidbits the black heart of the garden is somehow related or equivalent to the Veil,

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

https://youtu.be/9_t5vyK6B5c

:mad:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

yeah that's there is exactly why you kill the tormentors before going to phase 2

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Is it just me or is there a lot of really cheapshit design in the campaign? 2 examples so far off the top of my head:

the cabal miniboss where you're in an extremely cramped square and the game just drops cabal pods on your head with 0 warning

the bit where you're blowing up a bunch of shadow legion ships and the game drops a shitton of enemies the second you grab the orb

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
great campaign, had a super fun time playing a bit of co-op and then marathoning solo on normal. half of those missions i am really looking forward to doing on legendary (the one with the tanks just loving rules, straight up halo campaign design i loved it), and then half i am terrified of doing on legendary

nimbus is cool and i wish he got to do more sick hoverboard tricks. i am looking forward to figuring out what the gently caress is going on with the cloudstriders, and also this veil, and also this weirdass city! the lore book you get through the campaign is really good if incredibly on the nose

man i loved that final mission too. this didn't feel quite as complete as the witch queen but i think the high points are very high, and i am far more interested in doing more poo poo in neomuna than i was doing poo poo in the throne world lol (even if i have since come around on fynch and acknowledge him as the best character in the game)

ending thoughts: pretty whatever but figure they've got to somehow make a year of story updates make sense for wherever they're headed so it was always gonna be a bit of a halo 2 situation. definitely needed more denouement than dumping you from that cutscene to the tower and zavala doing a "uhhh that was weird huh," and maybe the campaign could have had a couple cut-backs to the fight going on in orbit. weird that you don't get any transmissions from zavala or anything that i can remember. also where the hell are eris, drifter, ana, and elisabeth?? and saint!! maybe the later season missions will include them, i guess

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 1, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Existing characters? Eww! (screws up nose in disgust) No what you want are all these cool new characters us new writers came up with, aren't they cool and awesome and stuff? You like them right? Of course you do! Buy plushies of them on the Bungie store and stuff.

That was my take away. Granted I haven't exactly marinated in this new expansion yet but I get a feeling this is just stuff thrown at a wall and no clear lead on the writing team.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this expansion introduced two (2) new main characters and a handful of patrol givers lol

i'm sure one of the seasons will cover whatever spooky poo poo eris morn is up to. hell she might wind up being our point of contact for the raid. i just wish she'd popped up on the audio console or something

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Eris is on the moon slowly working her way through the thousand metric tons of cookies Guardians give her every year.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
This feels like a last-minute filler expansion. Neomuna is really lackluster, it's literally just reused braytech assets with random trees. They didn't even give us the promised yearly vendor refresh, what the hell.

And the writing, man. I dream of what the game could have been with Seth Dickinson as lead narrative designer or whatever title. This is just bad

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm having fun with the game so far. I like the aesthetic of the stuff in the city as the subtly changed braytech assets show that everything in neomuna is from the golden age. That little bit of storytelling through environment is cool.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

elpaganoescapa posted:

This feels like a last-minute filler expansion. Neomuna is really lackluster, it's literally just reused braytech assets with random trees. They didn't even give us the promised yearly vendor refresh, what the hell.

And the writing, man. I dream of what the game could have been with Seth Dickinson as lead narrative designer or whatever title. This is just bad

I feel like even if TFS is an amazing final part, destiny will be looked back on as missed potential. what could have been indeed. phenomenal lore, concepts and worldbuilding... stapled to a story that barely even crawls so as to maximise gaas poo poo

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I think it’s good - definitely not hitting the highs of WQ but also not the lows of like Shadowkeep. I do find the Cloudstriders to be…a really weird addition to the lore. I love the IDEA of “guardians that aren’t guardians” - showing that the traveler and the light were kind of a shortcut to human ascendancy and that we probably don’t need the big old ball to be a universal power.

The execution is pretty bad though - their characterization is terrible and all the more interesting parts of Cloudstrider lore (like their trade-offs for power) are all hidden behind this weird, thin, stereotype of Saturday morning cartoon characters.

There’s definitely a sizeable chunk of the writing team that just fundamentally doesn’t get what parts of the narrative the community actually likes.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Note: Nimbus died on the way back to their home planet

seriousposting edit: introducing Neomuna at all cheapens the existence of the Last City and the struggle to protect that place for the last however many centuries. It looks like rear end, it's incongruous with the rest of the visual language of Destiny other than possibly some of the detail inside the Titan colony, which was actually really cool and looked nice. If they wanted to re-use assets they could have established a fully functioning version of the Titan colony for us to see that in all its glory. The Cloud Striders are cringe, but a few tweaks to their concept and them not looking like they were generated straight out of Midjourney would have helped. I'm not even going to comment on the story because there kinda isn't one.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 1, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I liked the campaign, Strand is fun as hell, pretty happy with the whole thing. Yeah, I agree that it isn't the best campaign story they've done but at the same time I liked it anyway. Also the armour mod system is good and flexible, plus there's more coming out over time as they've said.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

I'm not huge on the mod system thus far but that might just be me having to rewire my brain to get the most out of it, does feel like the most interesting parts of CWL or well builds like bountiful wells or lucent blade got declawed or outright killed in the transition though.

I'm digging the story and neomuna so far, but the difficulty of the legendary campaign I'm not jiving with. WQ legendary felt good, if I died it was my bad, but like half of the deaths in LF legendary just feel like unavoidable bullshit. Maybe it's just the light level deficiency.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Most of my deaths, or the most noticeable ones, have been due to getting instantly killed by knockbacks and the physics engine. Turns out that trying to get into melee range is a bad idea against cabal. So I switched from a one-two punch shotgun to a sniper and things went way smoother.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My first death was architected by a phalanx so who’s to say what’s really changed.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

yeah, skyburners works really nice because you can just sit back and plink away but it is a shame that any more aggressive playstyle is just a no-go. Getting devour off is a crapshoot cause even psions and warbeasts are bullet sponges and it seems like theres no explosive wellmaker or well of life equivalents in the new system, which was one of my favourite combinations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

It's always a strange feeling being semi low level again.

Anyways it's funny you can only cycle in one direction when using the pregenerated names for loadouts. And the simple UI update to show which mods are active for champions is very helpful.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Trinity Ghoul has been the MVP with a punchy arc hunter build. The punchy part isn't going as well as it did last year but I do like how all the mods and fragments support a game plan where you run in, do some damage, then run around at mach speed with your resilience and recovery at max. Reminds me of that one build I saw people running where you used frostees and stay invisible most of the time.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seriously, what do the red italicized damage numbers mean? I can't find anything about that in the patch notes. I was shooting the first tormentor guy in his glowy chest area...sometimes it would be yellow crit and some shots showed up red like way lower.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Majere posted:

Seriously, what do the red italicized damage numbers mean? I can't find anything about that in the patch notes. I was shooting the first tormentor guy in his glowy chest area...sometimes it would be yellow crit and some shots showed up red like way lower.

it showed up when I hit a shielded incedinor too, I'm thinking maybe it's the "real" damage number before it runs some sort of resist thing because you're hitting them with the wrong element or something

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I figured the italics are from hitting shield as I've seen them in different colors, corresponding to the shields that enemies have.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Majere posted:

Just like everything else in this expansion….who knows??

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beginning to think they hosed up

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Beginning to think they hosed up

They definitely did lol

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Someone tell me what happens in this one in a reasonably factual manner so that I know for future lore, tia

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

General Battuta posted:

Someone tell me what happens in this one in a reasonably factual manner so that I know for future lore, tia

Maguffins

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

General Battuta posted:

Golden age people moved to Neptune, uploaded their brains into a darkness(?) powered isekai computer and hid from the rest of humanity. The witness wants to fight the demon king and needs the thing powering the computer. So they get some jobber to do it and idk I'm not all the way finished with the campaign you should just play it and pay attention yourself

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Dont talkto battuta like that you ooeve of poo poo ehey deserve your reapect

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

life_source posted:

Dont talkto battuta like that you ooeve of poo poo ehey deserve your reapect

You ok dude?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Battuta is the only good thing to touch Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not the biggest fan of Nimbus (I think the voice filter is a bit too heavy, I get what they were going for but it could have been lessened a tiny bit) but I don't really get the level of ire directed to them lol. Less annoying than the quippy Hive Ghost from last expac.