Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean also before 2014, Russia and Ukraine did a huge about of trade with each other and tariffs were pretty low. Even if Russia wanted those resources, there wasn’t really anything limiting them through trade.

As for Revanchism, I am sure Putin has his own personal dreams but these took a backseat to state policy, while Crimea was incorporated, the Donbas wasn’t and the Russians clearly didn’t go into Crimea because of its population but the continued issue of the Black Sea fleet that had been going on for years at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

You can do your own math if you want to count abstentions as supporting Russia's invasion.

quick math based on the chart you showed indicates at least half of the world did not condemn russia. Thank you for supporting my argument.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Russian foreign policy has been clear for like 20 years that Ukraine in nato was a red line. Its not any mystery.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Every major non-"international Community" country abstaining but at least you got fully independent countries like Bahamas on your side

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

quick math based on the chart you showed indicates at least half of the world did not condemn russia. Thank you for supporting my argument.

At least half? Sorry, you're doing the math wrong. Show your work. China and India are really large, but they're not THAT big in population.

I'll stick to your original argument when presented with facts you didn't like:

euphronius posted:

The UNGA is mostly completely absurd and dumb.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think maybe I should have posted that book about the underlying reasons for the conflict in Ukraine AFTER the GBS refugees had started coming in so we might not have to argue with things like "its about Putin's revanchism"

This thread is impossible to catch up on, especially if considering the previous thread's volume. Maybe an effortpost containing counters to common objections should be edited in on the first page, similar to the giant post of a couple days ago containing all the links between e.g. claims of Uyghur genocide and Zenz et al? A sort of canon.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

At least half? Sorry, you're doing the math wrong. Show your work. China and India are really large, but they're not THAT big in population.

Dude, India and China together are 2.8 billion people what the hell are you talking about. Pakistan is another 230 million, Bangladesh is 160 million, Iran is 87 million and Russia itself is 144 million.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:07 on Mar 1, 2023

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

mlmp08 posted:

the two countries with about 37% of the worlds population combined are not THAT big in population, the other countries are much bigger

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol people appealing to the formulation of war developed to explain a conflict in 429 AD may as well go a little further back and realize that Ukraine is Μήλος.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Isentropy posted:

Every major non-"international Community" country abstaining but at least you got fully independent countries like Bahamas on your side

This is erasure of Nigeria, Pakistan, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico, Egypt, etc, among the sleeper large population countries people forget are as large as they are.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Dude, India and China together are 2.8 billion people what the hell are you talking about.

Western chauvinistic military personnel? No way!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Population aside, it is also 40% of the UNSC permanent members.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Dude, India and China together are 2.8 billion people what the hell are you talking about. Pakistan is another 230 million, Bangladesh is 160 million

euphronius is claiming that poll shows that over 50% of the world's population abstained or supported Russia in the poll. If he's going to make the claims, he should do the math. If he does the full math and it's 50.1%, he'll be right. As is, he's making a claim without doing any work beyond saying "trust my mental math."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well you are no longer defending your claim that an "overwhelming" amount of the UN voted to condemn russia, so I guess I win. Again.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Take the L and move on dude

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The current population is 7.8b, and certainly 3.9b were in those states.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Dude, India and China together are 2.8 billion people what the hell are you talking about. Pakistan is another 230 million, Bangladesh is 160 million, Iran is 87 million and Russia itself is 144 million.

That is a lot of people, but the world population is approaching 8 billion now.

euphronius posted:

Well you are no longer defending your claim that an "overwhelming" amount of the UN voted to condemn russia, so I guess I win. Again.

No, that much is still objectively true. The UNGA doesn't weight by population. That's your own thing. That's why you said you just dislike the UNGA and think it is absurd and stupid. I'm trying to steel-man your argument by allowing you to make a case based on population, instead of a case based on UNGA vote results.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

The current population is 7.8b, and certainly 3.9b were in those states.

If someone does the math, I'm not going to deny the numbers. But so far it's just people saying "I bet it adds up" and refusing to support the claim beyond squinting at a chart. They do the math and find out for sure!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

is this guy always like this

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

If someone does the math, I'm not going to deny the numbers. But so far it's just people saying "I bet it adds up" and refusing to support the claim beyond squinting at a chart. They do the math and find out for sure!

There are another 112 million in even Ethiopia, 46 million in Sudan, Algeria is another 44 million; these aren’t tiny countries.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HallelujahLee posted:

Are you new here

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are you new here

i skimmed over all their posts

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Population aside, it is also 40% of the UNSC permanent members.

Yes. You have made it clear that you do not resepct the UNGA votes and think they are absurd and dumb. I think this is where our disagreement lies. I quoted a UNGA vote, and you fundamentally think the UNGA doesn't count or matter, and so you are pursuing alternate means to form an argument. Easy to agree to disagree then.

My disagreement with your below beliefs are causing disagreement.

euphronius posted:

The UNGA is mostly completely absurd and dumb.

Ardennes posted:

There are another 112 million in even Ethiopia, 46 million in Sudan, Algeria is another 44 million; these aren’t tiny countries.

Yeah, as I said, if someone does the math for euphronius's claim and it works out to over 50%, I would accept that. Math is math. But so far he's just doing the "I bet I'm right, but I refuse to prove it," which doesn't really support a claim.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

yeah just the most insufferable pedant in this thread

I welcome all the new blood in here, its a good change of pace over these arguments

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

i skimmed over all their posts

Why did you stop now?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

yeah just the most insufferable pedant in this thread

I welcome all the new blood in here, its a good change of pace over these arguments

well i guess the thread does need counter-arguments but maybe not these dumb pedantic ones

Lostconfused posted:

Why did you stop now?

i saw something about the UN posted thought oh maybe its interesting stuff bad idea anyways lesson learned

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Learned something new. Apparently the world population is now over 8 billion as of late 2022. Lot of people!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I already did the math, and the majority of humanity at least in the form of states didn’t vote to condemn them.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

quote:

The thought of a reverse invasion by the Inner Sphere was unthinkable and horrifying to the Clan Khans, and the vote to invade was passed by all but Clan Wolf. Wolf Khan Ulric Kerensky demanded a Trial of Refusal, and though the odds were four-to-one the Third Battle Cluster nearly succeeded, but sheer numbers and the Council's will prevailed. Taking advantage of the wave of popular sentiment, Leo Showers succeeded in getting himself elected ilKhan, warlord of all the Clans, and set about planning the invasion of the Inner Sphere.

The UN should institute Trials of Refusal.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
first of all bargain basement fishmech shut the gently caress up

second of all, the combined populations of china, india, pakistan, bangladesh, russia, ethiopia, vietnam, congo, iran, algeria and sudan is already around 3.8 billion and i'm gonna stop counting there and say that the rest make up the difference because gently caress you bargain basement fishmech do your own homework

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

I already did the math, and the majority of humanity at least in the form of states didn’t vote to condemn them.

Can you share for the class?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Can you share for the class?

Vietnam is 100 million, South Africa is 60 million, and Uzbekistan is 34 million, Uganda is 45 million:

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Mar 1, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

first of all bargain basement fishmech shut the gently caress up

second of all, the combined populations of china, india, pakistan, bangladesh, russia, ethiopia, vietnam, congo, iran, algeria and sudan is already around 3.8 billion and i'm gonna stop counting there

If I were trying to defend euphronius's claim, I'd keep counting until I cracked 50% instead of being in the 40s.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I once had a seminar on just the Boeotian League involvement in the Peloponnesian War and this kind of rigour and attention to detail would have been fascinating then, you know making the case for Thebes or Athens, rather than trying to bog down a discussion of NATO expansion, IMO.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...ion+of+bolivia+
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...+of+north+korea
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...n+of+kazakhstan
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...n+of+nicaragua+
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...on+of+sri+lanka
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...ion+of+vietnam+
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=4.227+billion+people++%2B+population+of+zimbabwe
There you go

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Excellent, thank you! Euphronius, while the UNGA vote showed overwhelming support for condemning Russia's invasion, if you instead use a different metric and count based on population, it looks like about 3% voted AGAINST condemnation, about 48-50% abstained, and the rest of the world voted to condemn.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I once had a seminar on just the Boeotian League involvement in the Peloponnesian War and this kind of rigour and attention to detail would have been fascinating then, you know making the case for Thebes or Athens, rather than trying to bog down a discussion of NATO expansion, IMO.

how could a boeotian possibly win a war? :agesilaus:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Maybe just maybe MLP is a complete idiot.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

we have a similar poster in the doomsday economics thread but that loser is much worse than this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

I hope you came super hard or got whatever reward that makes this so exhilarating for you mlmp