Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Man I thought we were past "the cloud" being the hot tech buzzword that CEOs use to get funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Spectrum thread for backers to post/brag about when they originally backed the game and what you thought you would be doing in game today.

Backer from 2012 posted:

As everyone can look it up themself by clicking on my name and selecting "citizen dossier", I'll save myself the effort of posting a picture.

Enlisted on September 10th 2012.
By now I thought I'd be playing the third title of the single player campaign.
But I think the journey to where we are now was just as amazing as having the games available. I have many fond memories of engagement with the community and the devs and I got to learn a lot about game development in the meantime.
I still have a lot of patience left for the project and I know the scope is large enough to justify the development time.

Another backer from 2012 posted:

I do exactly what I was thinking I would do around this time. But I also know a massive amount of backers did not see the real scope early on.

Prescient backer who knew they'd be playing a broken tech demo with only a single partially finished system 11 years later.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Popete posted:

Man I thought we were past "the cloud" being the hot tech buzzword that CEOs use to get funding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlBnboI4Vgk

The buzzword now is "industrial metaverse" iirc. Before that it was blockchain unless I'm missing a step.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Popete posted:

Spectrum thread for backers to post/brag about when they originally backed the game and what you thought you would be doing in game today.

Prescient backer who knew they'd be playing a broken tech demo with only a single partially finished system 11 years later.

that reminded me to show my shame

This is my kickstarter pledge

Notice the backer #.... for shame !

Still trying to find the grey market post where I sold the account and for how much... does the grey market still exist?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

And for fun...

When I asked them via the kickstarter messages in 2016 - WHERE IS THE GAME, it SAYS RELEASE NOVEMBER 2014?

I played stupid.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'll cop to being an original backer as well, but I sold my backer stuff to some reddit chump at a profit which was possible for a time because of the hype bubble.

Imagine paying secondary market prices for any of this poo poo.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Randalor posted:

Every time I see someone talk about "the cloud", I just hear it like the Toy Story aliens say "The Claw".

This thread has made me associate "the cloud" with a thumb-faced man waving his hands around erratically and intoning "the power in the machines".

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Wait MMO's arn't run via LAN!!!! I just assumed we had all the WoW players secured in one very, very large warehouse someone, safely kept away from society.

Dear god.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was a golden ticket-haver and backed before they'd even launched a kickstarter and while I definitely got my 30 bucks worth out of streaming the nothing they'd built on Twitch six years ago, I'm really glad I had the foresight not to back beyond the minimum level.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Trilobite posted:

This thread has made me associate "the cloud" with a thumb-faced man waving his hands around erratically and intoning "the power in the machines".

Yeah, that phrase also works in their high pitched voice. Just a chorus going "The Cloooooud!" and a higher pitched voice shouting out "The power in the machines!"

Does the Cloud decide who will play and who will lag?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
::getin:
https://twitter.com/Brieyonce/statu...40post530111823

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fake. No way anyone could build that in less than 12 years.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hell I can't get my dishes done in 12 years

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

HELL YEAH

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I came for star citizen, stayed because of all of you wonderful silly geese.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

phosdex posted:

CIG has had lore writers on their staff full time for how long now? I've been under the impression that writing as a profession isn't easy to find full time work. Those writers must be so happy.
I read the most recent "Galactapedia" update and those entries are some prime examples of "lore dump". Look at this entry on "S-pop"

quote:

S-Pop

S-pop (abbreviation of Saisei Pop) is a form of Human popular music originating on Saisei (Centauri III). Common characteristics of S-pop include the incorporation of relaxing organic-sourced sounds and traditional Saisei instruments. The term can refer either specifically to the popular music of Saisei or to any music functionally derived therefrom.

ORIGIN

The earliest iteration of traditional Saisei music evolved in the 25th century, when Saisei was first established and built up as a colony world. The form owes a significant amount to the slow, methodical process involved in planning and constructing Saisei colony. While typical colonies grow in fits as interest in particular exports drive commerce and immigration, Seisei was instead built up deliberately according to a long-term plan. Lacking the booms and busts of traditional early colonial development that leave newly settled worlds more closely tied to a home culture, Saisei developed its own disparate takes on a variety of Human art forms.

During the initial settlement period, luxury imports from Earth (Sol III) were extremely limited. As a result, traditional Human instruments were uncommon beyond those carried as part of the first wave's personal preference kits. Colonists turned to local materials to develop their own offshoots. Trees seeded during the early terraforming process produced softer wood than is traditionally used to create stringed instruments. This limitation ultimately gave rise to the Saisei-made softwood guitar, or s-guitar, which produces a mellower, more resonant sound than its Earth-made equivalent.

Saisei musicians soon began experimenting with natural sounds. By the middle of the 27th century, a typical Saisei arrangement might include several dozen different natural samples, often arrayed so elaborately that their source could not be externally determined.

WIDESPREAD POPULARITY

For roughly four hundred years, Saisei traditional music was not widespread beyond the Centauri system. That changed in 2932 when Saisei-based band The Claw appeared on Terra, Show Me the Music!, a popular Spectrum-based showcase for aspiring bands. Instead of performing an original song, The Claw chose to perform a Saisei-styled interpretation of Clover's "Moonlight," then at the height of its popularity. The group used a traditional s-guitar and an array of cultivated aquatic insect sounds to give the song what the series' host termed "eerie, still movement." The performance was accompanied by a holographic light show based in traditional Saisei culture.

In under two weeks, The Claw had the number one single on popular music charts of both Earth and Terra (Terra III). Viewers initially curious about the light show and the unusual sounds became interested in the music itself. The Terra Gazette dubbed this style of music S-pop. A brief S-pop craze followed The Claw's larger UEE debut with music producers rushing to sign hitherto unknown acts from Saisei and other performers around the galaxy eager to emulate what they considered an exciting new discovery.

S-pop ruled Spectrum from November 2932 to December 2934 with dozens of songs taking top positions. Although interest in S-pop has waxed and waned in the ensuing years, the impact of the fad has had permanence.

I doubt any of this is in any way related to anything in game, whether it is story or locations or even some object or NPC dialogue.

Their writers are indeed lucky.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Not very surprised to see this account being subscribed to twitter blue.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

This is the perfect bait for whales, there is literally nothing on the game itself, just the promise of being on the precepiece of something.

loving idiots.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Nah, scratch that, just regular idiots. I hope they're not loving.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Every single one of these life replacement MMO projects fail, every single time. None of them have the funding or talent to pull it off, even if they’re 100% honest, most aren’t. I find it hilarious that their are still idiots out there who think that an indie studio that raises a few million dollars is going to pull off the Matrix.

But Star Citizen, well that’s a whole other beast.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

??? have you seen the UEE, the We're Not An Empire We Swear Empire with a culture based on space cars and food courts?

Keyword "alien" species. The in-game "foreigners" are based on what seems foreign and exotic to Chris Roberts. The human empire is based on him taking Starship Troopers at face value and that Roman-inspired fascism is loving sick.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Xi'an meal?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'll be perfectly honest- I forgot there was even supposed to be aliens in the game. I had to be reminded by the previous few posts that this wasn't some kind of Second Life-type game with space shooty bits :shobon:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

colonelwest posted:

Every single one of these life replacement MMO projects fail, every single time. None of them have the funding or talent to pull it off, even if they’re 100% honest, most aren’t. I find it hilarious that their are still idiots out there who think that an indie studio that raises a few million dollars is going to pull off the Matrix.

But Star Citizen, well that’s a whole other beast.
The mention of "persistent online worlds" reminds me of the early WoW years when a lot of hardcore MUD-/early MMO veterans wrote infinite blogs on how theme park MMOs like WoW are just the worst and ruined MMOs, how WoW etc. are not even massive(ly) or multiplayer enough to deserve the name, and how the future would have to be in sandboxes and online worlds.

And every single attempt to make these ~TRUE ONLINE WORLDS~ failed. The games sucked and died, or the games never came out, or they launched in the form of pathetic cash grab grindfests. Star Citizen is the perfect game for this audience and coincidence, the superfans show the exact same brainworms and unpleasant behaviour like the "WOW IS NOT A REAL MMORPG :argh:" crowd 15, 20 years ago (holy poo poo it has been that long).

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

well yeah every time they make a ~life simulator~ it turns out nobody wants to be a loving moisture farmer in star wars they want t o be loving luke skywalker when he was waving the lightsaber around

like that was the reason wow clobbered everquest and clobbered every attempt to make an UBER HARDCORE MMO FOR REAL HARDCORE MMO PLAYERS after it, you could log on and do cool poo poo with your friends and it wasn't (as) broken and it wasn't (as) buggy and eventually it was polished and had more content, and then eventually it had 5 years of content or 10 years of content or however much more years of polish and content where these old school MMO guys kept shipping broken janky poo poo like it was 1999 and you could shove anarchy online out the door barely playable and people would play it because there was nothing else, and maybe they would buy it, then the old school mmo guys would soyface when everyone went back to wow because it 1. actually was working and 2. all their friends were still playing it.

it's like the ~ub3r hardcore old skewl uo pvp crowd~ that thinks they want to be ~teh wolves~ hunting ~teh sheep~ and want a ~full pvp game~ because they think they're the wolves, so a full pvp game comes out or a game launches a full pvp server and it's packed, then ~teh wolves~ figure out most of them are actually ~teh sheep~ and slink away leaving the actual good pvpers fighting amongst themselves and bitching while everyone else goes and bitches about trammel and felucca and how nothing is as good as uo

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 1, 2023

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

well yeah every time they make a ~life simulator~ it turns out nobody wants to be a loving moisture farmer in star wars they want t o be loving luke skywalker when he was waving the lightsaber around

like that was the reason wow clobbered everquest and clobbered every attempt to make an UBER HARDCORE MMO FOR REAL HARDCORE MMO PLAYERS after it, you could log on and do cool poo poo with your friends and it wasn't (as) broken and it wasn't (as) buggy and eventually it was polished and had more content, and then eventually it had 5 years of content or 10 years of content or however much more years of polish and content where these old school MMO guys kept shipping broken janky poo poo like it was 1999 and you could shove anarchy online out the door barely playable and people would play it because there was nothing else, and maybe they would buy it, then the old school mmo guys would soyface when everyone went back to wow because it 1. actually was working and 2. all their friends were still playing it.

it's like the ~ub3r hardcore old skewl uo pvp crowd~ that thinks they want to be ~teh wolves~ hunting ~teh sheep~ and want a ~full pvp game~ because they think they're the wolves, so a full pvp game comes out or a game launches a full pvp server and it's packed, then ~teh wolves~ figure out most of them are actually ~teh sheep~ and slink away leaving the actual good pvpers fighting amongst themselves and bitching while everyone else goes and bitches about trammel and felucca and how nothing is as good as uo

So this reminded me of something I heard about. There is a 'hardcore' wargame called Foxhole that has an in-depth logistics system. You need players actively running salvage to supply, and munitions from supply depots to the front lines, or the war grinds to a halt.

But no one wants to play Logistics. Instead people feel like they HAVE to play Logistics so that OTHER PEOPLE can play the actual Wargame.

So they boycotted Logistics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUnggpy1jpY

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I mean I loved SWG. I want to have some level of interaction with the world besides doing dungeons and raids. The problem is that SC isn't even set to provide this. They have all this weird tedium that some people apparently want but it's all meaningless busywork like making your bed or other nonsense interactions, but is there a plan to allow you to have a station built in the world? Or can you take over some colony so that your alliance/guild/squadron owns it? Even E:D has that although their system is all background and ultimately doesn't do a heck of a lot unless you want to roleplay the BGS. There is a middle ground that companies can take with this stuff but a lot of companies (cough wow cough) don't' want to add the most basic "everyone has their own guild hall you can go to through a portal" just as a retention method of giving people a goal of getting crap from activities that they may or may not be running (incentives).

Of course with SC, I suppose the problem is that they'd love to make it so you can get a station, but you'd have to cobble up 375,000 dollars with your friends to buy it with real money.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Decrepus posted:

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Xi'an meal?

GET YOUR HAND OFF MY PENIS

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

akkristor posted:

So this reminded me of something I heard about. There is a 'hardcore' wargame called Foxhole that has an in-depth logistics system. You need players actively running salvage to supply, and munitions from supply depots to the front lines, or the war grinds to a halt.

But no one wants to play Logistics. Instead people feel like they HAVE to play Logistics so that OTHER PEOPLE can play the actual Wargame.

So they boycotted Logistics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUnggpy1jpY

i am sure there are people who are RABID fans of logistics gameplay and have done nothing else, but those people are such a tiny population of online games they might as well just have a bot do it

as most games do, because they're not insane enough to rely on humans doing those jobs

if you want to be a truck driver and deliver poo poo in a war-game where you can instead shoot and blow people up, the choice is obvious

if the game was a delivery truck game, and had a 1% chance of getting a gun to shoot someone you can bet your rear end people would have cheat codes and how-to manuals out within the first hour the game went live

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
EVE put a lot of emphasis on (low-/no-sec) logistics and people started to skip most of the riveting gameplay of slowboating haulers and freighters through dangerous space the moment they were able to with stealth ships and jump-capable vessels like carriers. That just made purists complain even harder about these shortcuts undermining their precious sandbox.
:thunk:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Don’t worry folks, they will start thinking about the design of an engaging sandbox right after they deliver server meshing

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Popete posted:

I'd just like to remind you we're talking about a Cryengine game here.
The Cloud is from the future.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JugbandDude posted:

Don’t worry folks, they will start thinking about the design of an engaging sandbox right after they deliver server meshing

It's pretty funny how literally everything is pending server meshing. Any problems with game play, performance, balance, questionable design decisions it will all magically be fixed once they figure out server meshing.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

:pgabz:https://twitter.com/CatWorkers/stat...pagenumber%3D55:pgabz:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

i am sure there are people who are RABID fans of logistics gameplay and have done nothing else, but those people are such a tiny population of online games they might as well just have a bot do it

as most games do, because they're not insane enough to rely on humans doing those jobs

if you want to be a truck driver and deliver poo poo in a war-game where you can instead shoot and blow people up, the choice is obvious

if the game was a delivery truck game, and had a 1% chance of getting a gun to shoot someone you can bet your rear end people would have cheat codes and how-to manuals out within the first hour the game went live

I enjoy Euro Truck 2 and Farming Sim and similar games more than I enjoy shooty games. So I could see myself playing Euro Truck that was set in a war. But the thing is, even that has to be designed to be fun and have its own gameplay loops similar to the shooty part.

It could be fun to run troops and supplies and dodge the odd plane trying to strafe you.

But Foxhole is a RTS type game and not a first person sim, so logistics sounds just bad.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
noisy commandos are distracting Tony Zzzzzz...

commando posted:

Pie in the sky, far-flung future tech during Invictus as a tool to create hype. It served its purpose and will be something totally different in 3-5 years when they talk about it again.

commando posted:

if we're gonna get an update on citizencon hype-generators like this, maybe we should get one on the jump points, or the sand-worm,.....or literally any of the citcon garbage they cook up

citcon is, and always has been, discount E3. it operates on the same principles of faking stuff with vertical-slice gameplay to get more hype, and in-turn more sales

edit: based on other replies, this actually came during invictus; however, my point remains the same regardless of what sales event they use.

commando posted:

I could make an update video for you. Show a few charts. Throw in a few buzzwords. And then not deliver anything for 3-4 years.
We should start not letting them get away with update videos. Only results from now on. Its enough.

commando posted:

Something early days. Something Something promising and excited to share with you "very soon"

There's your update. enjoy!

Anyway, here's some beaver

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DarlingGargantuanFoxterrier-mobile.mp4

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 2, 2023

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I mean if i were to design some sore of Logistics For War type of game, I would probably go with something with Snowrunner gameplay but make it heavy story based, so you drive cargo one way, take back wounded soldiers, get to talk to them, get the feel for how the war is going, one day there are more supplies because the war gains popular support, one day you have to change your route because the front moved, the forward base gets attacked, maybe one day you get attacked and have to use the rifle you're always taking with you, you find a tank in a lake and have to tow it out, etc etc. So that despite being a small cog in the war machine, you could feel that you're important.

But this only works in a single player game, where you can gently caress around with it a bit and inconvinience noone but yourself. In an MMO, especially with PVP, you'd be a part of the meta and would get the most watered down, optimized experience with precise but arcane numbers, tight windows for action and getting yelled at if you don't follow everything to the letter. And you'd still wouldn't be the one winning the game. And only 1% of players would actually do this.

...uh Star Citizen something? I dunno.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

orcane posted:

The mention of "persistent online worlds" reminds me of the early WoW years when a lot of hardcore MUD-/early MMO veterans wrote infinite blogs on how theme park MMOs like WoW are just the worst and ruined MMOs, how WoW etc. are not even massive(ly) or multiplayer enough to deserve the name, and how the future would have to be in sandboxes and online worlds.

And every single attempt to make these ~TRUE ONLINE WORLDS~ failed. The games sucked and died, or the games never came out, or they launched in the form of pathetic cash grab grindfests. Star Citizen is the perfect game for this audience and coincidence, the superfans show the exact same brainworms and unpleasant behaviour like the "WOW IS NOT A REAL MMORPG :argh:" crowd 15, 20 years ago (holy poo poo it has been that long).

The hilarious thing about Star Citizen is that it’s a completely static world, they can’t even get the NPCs to walk around a room, let alone implement the huge EVE-scale Org mechanics that everyone has wet dreams about. And the path that CIG is going down, seems to basically be just to have raids in all but name, like the Siege of Orison event.

Nothing is actually dynamic or sandboxy in the least, other than some far off dream features they talked about years ago and then memory-holed, or Tony Z getting stoned and talking out of his rear end about Quanta once in while. But Citizens still insist that it’s a living breathing universe of unparalleled complexity! Because the label on a coffee maker is an 8k texture or something… It still floors me how delusional they are after 11 years of nothing.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 2, 2023

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://mailchi.mp/cloudimperiumgames/squadron-42-update-148920?e=f8228fdf6f

New sq49 update

Lot of word salad for "early days"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

quote:

Last month, Gameplay Features continued working on save and load, getting the Subsumption missions restoring correctly and back to their correct state. They set save points up in one of the missions and passed it to QA to see what wasn’t loading back in correctly so they could debug and fix it.

“We’re now getting the save time down and saving in the background so there isn’t a long stall each time.” Gameplay Features Team
Any day now…