Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Every once in a while I look at my growing 7.5mil stamina pile and think "huh, I barely have any glass, leather, or dyed items GMed. I should really turn that into AK rather than let it build up".

And then I shrug and go back to only doing enough to use up my daily surplus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

How do gifts work? Are all items valued the same for friendship gains or are more expensive items worth more friendship points?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

How do gifts work? Are all items valued the same for friendship gains or are more expensive items worth more friendship points?

This list tells you everyone's loves/likes/dislikes

https://buddy.farm/townsfolk/

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

https://buddy.farm/townsfolk-grid/

If they Love it, it is worth 150 XP. If they Like it, it is worth 25XP. If they Hate it, it is worth -50 XP. The inherent "value" of the item being given has no effect.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Klungar posted:

https://buddy.farm/townsfolk-grid/

If they Love it, it is worth 150 XP. If they Like it, it is worth 25XP. If they Hate it, it is worth -50 XP. The inherent "value" of the item being given has no effect.

That said, be mindful of what they Love. It might be too pricey and not worth it.

Look at today's townsfolk of the day, Charles Horsington The 3rd. He loves Apples, Ciders, and Gold Carrots. Likes regular carrots, which I am growing because I want Neigh. And as noted, apples > cider in terms of raising the Friendship up.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Also, good and cool people send Ric Ryph his hated items of worms and milk because he's a terrible person. = D

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

Also, good and cool people send Ric Ryph his hated items of worms and milk because he's a terrible person. = D

I'm glad I'm not the only person who got through those quests and immediately went "f that guy".

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

widespread posted:

That said, be mindful of what they Love. It might be too pricey and not worth it.

Look at today's townsfolk of the day, Charles Horsington The 3rd. He loves Apples, Ciders, and Gold Carrots. Likes regular carrots, which I am growing because I want Neigh. And as noted, apples > cider in terms of raising the Friendship up.

Charles also loves Valentines Cards, something people might have a few spare ones of by now...

Then there's Vincent who loves axes and mushroom paste equally. If you have the boards, stone and silver to spare, it's probably worth turning turning paste into axes, for the dupes from the Resource Saver perks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
85% of the way through Wall in the Way IV and a Langstaff Crest drops from Jundland. Gotta love it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Jhet posted:

85% of the way through Wall in the Way IV and a Langstaff Crest drops from Jundland. Gotta love it.

That is _precisely_ what happened with me.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my first Sea Pinchers are cooking away. Now to feed the fecking horse and get his recipe, if I can today.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I am one final corn harvest away from the many splendors of the Tower

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Unlocked Glacier Lake and hit Tower 100 in the last 24 hours. Feels good. :dance:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just started playing a couple days ago. What are the runestones for?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

quests will start asking for them, trust the quests

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I am attempting to figure out what to spend 200 gold on: getting more orchard space, getting more production out of trees, or getting more grape juice usages.

I am currently at 500 trees, zero extra fruits, and five grape juices.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twincityhacker posted:

I am attempting to figure out what to spend 200 gold on: getting more orchard space, getting more production out of trees, or getting more grape juice usages.

I am currently at 500 trees, zero extra fruits, and five grape juices.

You’ll get all of them eventually but the extra fruit one really adds up over time.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Went with the two forrester perks and 100 extra trees. Two extra harvests of sunflowers/beets/rice probably is the least impactful.

I was also saving up for Negotatior IV, but instead bought the two perk ranks of Forrester, going from 0% bonus to 30% bonus.

I also just hit crafting 99 just now, leaving exploring the only skill not at 99. That extra 180 fruit from the perks I bought will come in useful, as Buddy Farm says I need about ~2900 Arnold Palmers or ~43,900 OJ.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

HPanda posted:

Just started playing a couple days ago. What are the runestones for?

What’s you ign? And how big is your mailbox?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I'm in as HPanda. Looks like I put the mailbox up to 15 items.

So far, I think the hardest part of the game has been naming my chickens. After about a dozen chicken-based puns, the names start to sound half boiled.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
And thank you for the avalanche of goods! Especially MarcusSA. So, so many fun things to use.

I’m gonna pull every last fish outta this pond/river/lake. It’s gonna be an ecological disaster.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

HPanda posted:

I'm in as HPanda. Looks like I put the mailbox up to 15 items.

So far, I think the hardest part of the game has been naming my chickens. After about a dozen chicken-based puns, the names start to sound half boiled.

How much gold is it to increase your mailbox to the next size up?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
30 gold for the next tier. Is that better to do, or to use it for increasing inventory space? I’m up to 450 slots on inventory.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

HPanda posted:

30 gold for the next tier. Is that better to do, or to use it for increasing inventory space? I’m up to 450 slots on inventory.

You actually want to go for Storehouse if you want to upgrade inventory space. Sure, it's not as big of a one-time increase. But with upgrades and a few days of doing the daily work, you'll get to high enough slots.

I started two months ago and only recently passed 1k slots with storehouse.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

HPanda posted:

Empty your mail I can send you 30g

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Thank you! Isn’t that the premium currency though? MarcusSA sent me some earlier. I don’t wanna be too greedy on that.

Just expanded my mailbox a bit more, at any rate.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

You get a pretty steady drip of gold from masteries, achievements, and quests

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I hadn't looked at fishing for mastery since hitting T100, and decided to try dumping all my nets into mastery today (which also got me the GM badge)....now I have enough AK to go from T125 -> T140, if I only had the silver.

HPanda posted:

Thank you! Isn’t that the premium currency though? MarcusSA sent me some earlier. I don’t wanna be too greedy on that.

The game provides more than enough gold once you get into the late-game. If you check out the game's giveaway chat the community will provide basically any mailable resource. People do gold giveaways pretty frequently.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 28, 2023

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

HPanda posted:

Just expanded my mailbox a bit more, at any rate.

Well yes but you end up with quite a bit especially when you start mastering stuff.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Well still, thank you very much!

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Ok I finished ATI and I’m at tower level 28 completed. I know mastery and GMing stuff is how I get more Ascension Knowledge but what else should my goals be now?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

build up a stable of raptors so you're maxed out on antlers every day
get a ton of easy fish GMs/a ton of silver using those large nets, and also work on other easy GMs that use easily obtained materials
max out your orchard and hourly boards/wood to your inventory size, and pump up straw quite a bit and start working on all the easily craftworkable board/plank items

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Tips for those climbing the tower early:
- Craftworks is great, I have 10 slots and it's tempting to go for even more.
- Watch for the order of things in your craftworks. Probably want something like Planks at the bottom so when everything else is full you're still getting progress.
- Try to prioritize things that use the least amount of boards/planks/stone first. Same with parchment, look at how many flowers you use for parchment vs. dye before you decide which to GM.
- Some prerequisites make sense to do together (barrels and butter churns) but that's not always the case. Be willing to waste items when it makes sense.
- You can GM all the gems pretty easily by opening boxes at the Locksmith, and the same box will give you AC for Borgen. By the time you're on to GM'ing the rings, it probably won't matter that you wasted a bunch of gems doing this.
- Once you get to 100 and the improved inventory, it's much easier to GM things because you have more automation happening overnight.
- Enjoy growing mushrooms and making mushroom stew and the mushroom life.
- Make a craftwork loadouts for all the exploration zones.
- Ignore MM, because you'll get most of them through fishing or automatically.
- Merit Badges seem to be a fool's errand. My merits in order were: 1t crop row (I had the money and needed the AK), 100 Help Requests (not personal requests), and 100 GM'ed items. My next merit badge is going to be Raptors. The fishing badge has such high requirements that I feel it's not worth the physical toll to ever attempt it.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 1, 2023

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

oh, yeah, you're going to be growing mushrooms 24/7 outside of when you need crops for specific quests, have fun

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Just finished the "Corn Quandry" questline because I need slightly more corn than a stage complete of Corn Quandry, and the "quest completed" notification was gettinh annoying.

I also adore that the endquests of both "Number of Beers on the Wall" and "Corn Quandry" - both long running quests - both end with your farmer having a bit of a mental breakdown when they finally finish the questline.

The cornfield itself giving the final quest was a nice touch.

Also, does anyone know what the "seasonal raptors" are? I have some eggs ready to hatch, and curious if the seasonal raptors do anything different or just aethetics.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

just different raptor pictures, there was some rudolph, snow, and santa ones for ones hatched in december and pink bow, candy heart, and rose ones for february

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I just hatched four. I'm not sure if it's seasonal, but one of the raptors I just hatched became Yoshi.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

I just hatched four. I'm not sure if it's seasonal, but one of the raptors I just hatched became Yoshi.

If those were hatched today (after 10PM last night, server's on CST iirc), then those are probably the St Patrick's Day varieties. I hatched a few last month and one of them is holding a rose :allears:

Kaboobi posted:

oh, yeah, you're going to be growing mushrooms 24/7 outside of when you need crops for specific quests, have fun

Yep. I'm currently filling out ATI2's checklist and yeah Grape Juice is good for the 8hr+ ones. Every other one <1hr I'll just wait on.

Having said that, God drat the herb grind is irritating. I switched to Jundland grinding since I ran out of OJ/APs.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

hmmm, 5k soap.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finally unlocked the new fishing zone and blew through my 6,000 saved large nets.

A few quests later requires 3,000 large nets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, I looked at that and went, that’ll be useful for only people high in the tower, but at least there are spiked shells.