Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Soulstones don't miss. :eng101:

I think they only do 1 damage though. I've had better luck gambling on Hikari's crit spear skill. Boosted, it should crit every time. Unboosted it's not as reliable but that's gotten me all of my kills so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

How much better is the character interaction in 2 as compared to 1?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Finished the first three prologues, Hikari Castti and Partitio, and while I liked all three, Partitio's is amazing.

You get to beat a landlord? Who's clearly Biff from Back to the Future?? And your big bad evil guy is capitalism???? In the person of, quote unquote, "this Roque feller"????

Hope the others are half as good as his.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

canepazzo posted:

Finished the first three prologues, Hikari Castti and Partitio, and while I liked all three, Partitio's is amazing.

You get to beat a landlord? Who's clearly Biff from Back to the Future?? And your big bad evil guy is capitalism???? In the person of, quote unquote, "this Roque feller"????

Hope the others are half as good as his.

I am not sure his is the best but Partitio is like a top 5 most likable RPG character.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Partitio owns.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I was midway through Partito's chapter and decided to start over as Osvald. No loving way am I listening to that KFC drawl in every fight for the next 50 hours.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
So I never got all that far in the first Octopath. Gathering all the characters felt like kind of a slog when I tried to go back to it and I found the writing a bit too dry. How’s this one? Is it at all snappier? I did like how much shorter the intros seemed from the demo.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Partitio's voice is great you're just a coward.

Then again I've lived in the US South my whole life so maybe I'm just immune.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levantine posted:

I think they only do 1 damage though. I've had better luck gambling on Hikari's crit spear skill. Boosted, it should crit every time. Unboosted it's not as reliable but that's gotten me all of my kills so far.

I'd have to double check, I know a medium soulstone did 11 dmg and one-shot an octopuff queen at least.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd have to double check, I know a medium soulstone did 11 dmg and one-shot an octopuff queen at least.

Can confirm, used a medium soulstone last night and it killed the cait in one hit (and did like 1100 damage to the other target).

Am I just super lucky or is bewildering grace JP and EXP up more common? I've used it less than probably 10 times total, always boosted to level 4. I've gotten an EXP x100, JP x100, and a couple JP x2 and an EXP x5. That's more than I ever got out of it in the first game (for the little I played/used it).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Partitio and Temenos are definitely the headliners of this cast for me. I was slightly disappointed by Osvald's opening, it's played so drat straight, but I'm about to do his second chapter next so maybe we'll get a nice freshened up take.

Speaking of second chapters, I finished Throne's 2.B and was disappointed to find out that it apparently neither locks out 2.A nor scales it up, so I guess now I still have to do her 2.A chapter which is scaled for level... 7. At least the 2.B boss was pleasantly challenging.

This game has the same issue the first game had where even with Evasive Manuevers permanently on, I'm still constantly feeling like I'm on the verge of becoming overleveled.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Twenty hours into the game and just now starting on the second round of missions, where the recommended level is 7 and Thorne is 31. I was really surprised when I found the whole ship sidequest, fortunately I had just done Partitio's quest with the mercantile master who gives 20% off purchases if you recruit him. (also got into a level 45 town with one character surviving and used him to buy some strong weapons) This game rules.

HellOnEarth posted:

So I never got all that far in the first Octopath. Gathering all the characters felt like kind of a slog when I tried to go back to it and I found the writing a bit too dry. How’s this one? Is it at all snappier? I did like how much shorter the intros seemed from the demo.

You can actually skip the characters you recruit backstories and do them later if you feel like it, people can gather up the whole party in 40 minutes of gameplay, just start with Osvald so you get his enemy encounter reduction support ability early on. Every intro has a very different feeling to it though.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

Partitio and Temenos are definitely the headliners of this cast for me. I was slightly disappointed by Osvald's opening, it's played so drat straight, but I'm about to do his second chapter next so maybe we'll get a nice freshened up take.

Speaking of second chapters, I finished Throne's 2.B and was disappointed to find out that it apparently neither locks out 2.A nor scales it up, so I guess now I still have to do her 2.A chapter which is scaled for level... 7. At least the 2.B boss was pleasantly challenging.

This game has the same issue the first game had where even with Evasive Manuevers permanently on, I'm still constantly feeling like I'm on the verge of becoming overleveled.

It's not really a spoiler to say that the chapter structure is more varied this time. Not every episode has a boss fight or even fighting at all.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I was midway through Partito's chapter and decided to start over as Osvald. No loving way am I listening to that KFC drawl in every fight for the next 50 hours.

You finger licken' FOOL!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm starting to wonder if gameplaywise, picking Hikari was a mistake.

I'm 3/8 through Chapter 2's, and he's outright killed the bosses on their first break round thanks to his limit breaks.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Hikari is also my main and I'm well convinced he's the most busted character in the game.

Though I suppose your main always being significantly ahead of the curve of everyone else may be skewing things a bit on that front.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hikari is strong but he has begun to fall off slightly as my team acquires their divine skills. A limit break that is merely a very strong attack doesn't mean as much as the utility other characters can provide when you can just slap a strong attack on top of any of them with a good class skill.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like having Agnea as a main because an overleveled support isn't as gamebreaking as having an overleveled damage dealer so there's a semblance of a difficulty curve (not that she isn't busted in her own way too)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hikari is hands down the strongest character in the game by far, and it isn't even close. He'd have his own tier on a tier list for sure.

Merch can of course put out 30-60k damage with max BP on broken targets with hire, maybe more, but that also costs tons of money a pop. In the late game, you can build Hikari for high HP w/ crits and low hp added damage and he will throw out 99,999s with one of his regular learned skills, no BP, no limit, unbroken targets. The learned skills are extremely broken in terms of damage and utility. Nothing else i've discovered thus far will put out anywhere near that much damage, though i'm sure there's some other whacky combos and setups buried away in there that will be discovered.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Since google has failed me and I completely forgot where I picked the guy up, does anyone know where some townspeople to recruit are who have Steel Defenses? I had one following me with Ochette but his uses ran out finally after a few boss fights and now I can't remember where the heck I got him and that skill is so good I want to try and always have a npc with it on me.

I dunno if I just slept on it in the first game but NPC followers seem super useful in 2.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

How's this run on pc?

I assume decently given how it looks but not taking that for granted.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Max settings would barely heat up a toaster.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BabyRyoga posted:

Hikari is hands down the strongest character in the game by far, and it isn't even close. He'd have his own tier on a tier list for sure.

Merch can of course put out 30-60k damage with max BP on broken targets with hire, maybe more, but that also costs tons of money a pop. In the late game, you can build Hikari for high HP w/ crits and low hp added damage and he will throw out 99,999s with one of his regular learned skills, no BP, no limit, unbroken targets. The learned skills are extremely broken in terms of damage and utility. Nothing else i've discovered thus far will put out anywhere near that much damage, though i'm sure there's some other whacky combos and setups buried away in there that will be discovered.

Which learned skills are you focusing on? I've been trying to build for utility and cover attack types I don't have. I'm still gathering folks as I explore though.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Combo posted:

Can confirm, used a medium soulstone last night and it killed the cait in one hit (and did like 1100 damage to the other target).

Am I just super lucky or is bewildering grace JP and EXP up more common? I've used it less than probably 10 times total, always boosted to level 4. I've gotten an EXP x100, JP x100, and a couple JP x2 and an EXP x5. That's more than I ever got out of it in the first game (for the little I played/used it).

This is really good to know, thanks! I don't use my bigger soulstones too often since I have only what I've collected so they are somewhat rare to me.

I haven't had much luck with BG but I stopped using it after consecutive battles of reducing SP to nothing or other random bad effects on my party. I guess I need to gamble a bit more.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Levantine posted:

Which learned skills are you focusing on? I've been trying to build for utility and cover attack types I don't have. I'm still gathering folks as I explore though.

The super OP ones are all late game, but early on you can try to get skills for various weapon types that hit multiple times or strike multiple foes for breaking utility. Deep Analysis is pretty good as well.

Late game you have Divine Protection, Limb From Limb, Last Gasp to name a few. Even the one from his story ch 3 boss that does 2 sword hits to all is pretty godly for quick random encounter clean up. There's a bow one that hits all enemies 4-8 times but I think it will miss most of the time unless you have a bow class equiped and a good bow with acc.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BabyRyoga posted:

There's a bow one that hits all enemies 4-8 times but I think it will miss most of the time unless you have a bow class equiped and a good bow with acc.

Even with a good bow the damage is pretty bad. Its best use is for breaking due to the 3-5 his volley gives.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Starting with agnea was probably a mistake.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Am I missing something with the god move from Merchant? I got Partitio with the Fire Dragon Glave out there doing max boosts that are lucky to do 4 digits are some jerks.

Also it feels really rude that Throné latent power is an extra turn when Hikari has a the same option in his power, among OTHER things, that also doubles as a fairly strong attack.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Caidin posted:

Am I missing something with the god move from Merchant? I got Partitio with the Fire Dragon Glave out there doing max boosts that are lucky to do 4 digits are some jerks.

Also it feels really rude that Throné latent power is an extra turn when Hikari has a the same option in his power, among OTHER things, that also doubles as a fairly strong attack.

They’re slightly different. Hikari gets a second move at the end of the turn and only if you use that one attack which only hits one enemy, Thronè immediately gets a second move after you do the first one.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Also if Hikari's attack misses or is negated in some way then he doesn't get the extra action.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Okay, so regarding Throne and Tenemos' first shared chapter;

That girl, I was under the impression that she lived in that room her whole life, and then once they show up in her room, she gives them an item and simply goes out into the world. Was there anything I missed there because I just found that whole thing odd.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Honestly, I have not had attack accuracy come up in a meaningful way thus far? It might be more of an issue in other routes, I only really did Temenos' thus far. I wanted to do the others in one go more or less.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Caidin posted:

Honestly, I have not had attack accuracy come up in a meaningful way thus far? It might be more of an issue in other routes, I only really did Temenos' thus far. I wanted to do the others in one go more or less.

There are a few bosses who have pretty substantial evasion buffs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Okay, so regarding Throne and Tenemos' first shared chapter;

That girl, I was under the impression that she lived in that room her whole life, and then once they show up in her room, she gives them an item and simply goes out into the world. Was there anything I missed there because I just found that whole thing odd.

It gets explained more later

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I figured, it's just kind of bizarre in the moment.

Also, I hope I'm not the only one who hears Partitio saying "time to divvy up the onions" instead of "earnins"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One of the reasons I bounced off of the original Octopath was that I came in hot off of Bravely Default I’s heels hoping to see a similarly fresh take on the RPG narrative formula, but it was unfortunately pretty standard and uninteresting outside of the mechanics. How much does the new Octopath innovate in that vein?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pollyanna posted:

One of the reasons I bounced off of the original Octopath was that I came in hot off of Bravely Default I’s heels hoping to see a similarly fresh take on the RPG narrative formula, but it was unfortunately pretty standard and uninteresting outside of the mechanics. How much does the new Octopath innovate in that vein?

It's like the same game but the characters are not completely boring this time around, and general improvements in various places.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BabyRyoga posted:

It's like the same game but the characters are not completely boring this time around, and general improvements in various places.

Class/character balance is also better this time around I think, between abilities generally getting reshuffled, and Latent Powers / EX abilities.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

There are some small side chapters for different pairs of characters, and if you missed ain interaction in someone's main chapter you can watch it in the tavern instead of missing it entirely like the first game.

If you're looking for a big change in how Octopath does its storytelling you'll probably be waiting forever. The "8 characters with their own journeys who can join together" thing is pretty much the entire idea for the games. Maybe they'll start going more in depth on a "true ending/chapter" kind of thing but as cool as it'd be to see something like characters' chapters adjust based on who's in your party i doubt that'll ever happen due to the extensive amount of work it'd require unless the change is just "character X is in the cutscene and says Y" and not an actual impact on how things play out.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I'm not very far but Jason Schreier says the writing is greatly improved and the chapters are much more varied in their structure. Also, there's a proper final chapter that ties all the stories together.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1630970010276429824?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That’s unfortunate. My impression of the original was of a typical SNES Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest split into eight separate storylines, and that wasn’t compelling enough to get me on board. If I’ve ever played one of those, I’ve played them all. And I bounced off of it before I even got a full party or unlocked any classes, so mechanical changes probably wouldn’t help much either.

KonvexKonkav posted:

I'm not very far but Jason Schreier says the writing is greatly improved and the chapters are much more varied in their structure. Also, there's a proper final chapter that ties all the stories together.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1630970010276429824?s=20

Mm, that’s a little more promising, but it would still have to depend heavily on how those individual storylines interact and affect each other, instead of just being the video game equivalent of a short story anthology. (Speaking of, I was gonna investigate Live-A-Live…:v:)

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 1, 2023