Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ibntumart posted:

AITA for deleting my boyfriend’s assignment?

he's not your ex yet though, huh. y'all are gonna work through this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some of the worst things about people pleasers is that they'll say yes to anything just to avoid saying no with absolutely no concept of that making the consequences their fault.
Oh god this was me until I was 30, but I never heard it put so concisely.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

Darker? Did you think he was going to kill her or something?
In the comments OP mentioned SIL talking like she'll have OP's house soon. Despite her 5 year old niece being in the will, not the brother or SIL.
That combined with the way the brother in law attempted to break into the house is weird enough that I'm glad several people in the reddit thread told OP to change her locks.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

In the comments OP mentioned SIL talking like she'll have OP's house soon. Despite her 5 year old niece being in the will, not the brother or SIL.
That combined with the way the brother in law attempted to break into the house is weird enough that I'm glad several people in the reddit thread told OP to change her locks.

At this rate, she should upgrade to those dogs with bees in their mouths, so that when they bark, they shoot bees at you

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA I didn't celebrate my daughter's High School Graduation.

quote:

submitted an hour ago * by No_Calendar8991

My daughter is 29 years old. She was doing very well in school, but then she got pregnant by her high school boyfriend. My wife and I offered to help her, but she couldn't raise a child and go to school at the same time, so she dropped out. I offered all kinds of financial help with the only condition that she would never see the boy who got her pregnant again, and she agreed. So she's still with us, can only do certain work online, but since she doesn't have a high school diploma, she could never get a job that doesn't involve cleaning windows like a drat JW.

I can't say I'm proud of her life choices, and it feels like a burden to have an uneducated daughter while her older brother is getting a master's degree, but I love her anyway. She enrolled in a GED program some time ago to at least have her education. She graduated last year. She was happy, she, her mom (my wife) and other family members and friends had a party. I didn't go and instead went to shoot some pool with my co-workers.

The next day I came home and my wife was furious with me. Then my daughter joined in. I told her that there was no reason for someone in her near 30s to celebrate her high school graduation. She should be ashamed that she did not graduate at the right age and instead had to graduate with drug addicts and illiterate rednecks. Sounds harsh, but it is the truth, although it made her even angrier at me.

They have been holding this grudge over my head for months now, making passive aggressive comments. Even my grandson is commenting on it, saying he will work hard at school so I can go to his graduation. Today we all had a fight because I'm tired of them holding grudges, but they are dying in the mountain of humiliating me for being honest. Am I wrong somehow?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
cleaning windows like a drat what

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Foo Diddley posted:

Jehova's Witness maybe???

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I can only read that as Jehova’s Witness and I’m still baffled, none of the witnesses I know do any window cleaning either professionally or amateurly.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Speaking of grudges, impressive work ensuring your daughter never got the impression you’ve ever been proud of her for over a decade now!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Goddamn, what a turd of a parent. "Hey, why are you all angry at me, all I did was bitch and moan about how you're a failure leeching off of us, and then completely dismiss your major step forward"

Foo Diddley posted:

Lol, janitorial work I think, but I was stuck on Jehova's Witnesses for a while.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's actually a stereotype of Jehovah's Witnesses so a little casual bigotry thrown in.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's actually a stereotype of Jehovah's Witnesses so a little casual bigotry thrown in.

reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/i0eydj/for_all_those_judging_jw_people_on_being_window/

This came up after a couple searches. Seems to be a real judge-y issue within the culture but I’m no expert. Would be interesting to know how rear end in a top hat dad picked up on that very specific bigotry.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
huh, i did not know that jehovah's witnesses were associated with window cleaning in any way

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

huh, i did not know that jehovah's witnesses were associated with window cleaning in any way

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I thought he was saying jew but hiding it? That didn't fit either. I've never heard of Jehovah's witnesses cleaning windows.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's wild then, I know folks refer to them with initials like that but the stereotype is one I never would've imagined.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Ask a Manager's gt a good one:

quote:

I have a junior staff person (who has been on my team less than two years) who recently took it upon themself to give me some "constructive criticism" about my management, none of which was relevant or constructive (I did consider it and discussed it with others, and they were all confused as to where it came from).

The criticism was along the lines of ... I get in the office too late (I get there at 9, like everyone else, but I actually don't have set hours nor do I punch a time clock); I let people spend too much time in my office, which related to a new hire who I was training; I hog the spotlight by training new people myself (a big part of my job since I have two advanced degrees, and I'm training entry-level grads) and not letting others do it; I talk to others confidentially too much (!); I shouldn't help staff finish something before a big deadline if they're struggling (again, part of my job, our deadlines are firm and if someone can't finish a project I will help them finish however necessary).

I usually welcome feedback, especially if it makes the office run more smoothly and I know I don't know everything, but this seemed petty and like a personal attack. I'm also very careful to treat all my employees equally -- no favorites, no cliques, no gossip.

When it happened, I was shocked and not sure how to respond, so I just thanked them for bringing their concerns to me. But I'm worried this employee now feels they can give me "performance reviews" whenever they have a grievance. In the future, how do I head off this kind of conversation? How do I express how inappropriate it is for an entry-level employee to do this type of thing to any boss they have without throttling them?

For what it's worth, this person has a huge entitlement and attitude problem, which I have addressed with them several times but they refuse to try to improve. They're actively resentful of other employees and we had to address very recently their bullying another coworker who they thought "had it too easy." So I think I will need to shut it down hard next time or they will think they are entitled to scold me and keep doing it.

Advice was to fire this person. I hope there's a follow-up.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Also “they are dying in the mountain of humiliating me for being honest” is like…three mixed metaphors? Maybe English isn’t this guy’s first language but I get the feeling it is, big dunning kruger vibes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

trickybiscuits posted:

No mention of the junior staff person's descriptors, but if there was a pie chart of probabilities it's going to skew heavily to 40+ white male especially if the OP is a woman.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Foo Diddley posted:

It's time for Teen Witch's favourite game

GUESS

THAT

SLUR

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
*spins the wheel of slurs*

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

trickybiscuits posted:

well i've got good news and bad news. the good news is, you don't have to deal with my management style anymore

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

GUESS

THAT

SLUR

Jabberwocky

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Coca Koala posted:

I can only read that as Jehova’s Witness and I’m still baffled, none of the witnesses I know do any window cleaning either professionally or amateurly.

My cousin's dad was a Jehova Witness and died falling off a skyscraper while cleaning windows.
They lived across the road from the Kingdom Hall and we rode our bikes in its parking lot, but sometimes the elder or whatever would come out and yell at us for riding on their ADA ramp

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I'd prefer not to.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A comment suggests it might actually refer to Jehovahs' Witnesses and explains the rationale:

comment posted:

I believe this might be the context:

Jehovah’s Witnesses spurn higher education because the world is ending soon and they hope to be chosen to rebuild Jehovah’s Kingdom when it does. What that means practically is that they do not save money for education, nor do they encourage their children to seek it out. If they are converted later in life, they donate any finances they have set aside for educational purposes to their Kingdom Hall. So, they tend towards more “menial” labor like window washing/janitorial work.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lone Goat posted:

GUESS

THAT

SLUR

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

GUESS

THAT

SLUR

Foo Diddley posted:

*spins the wheel of slurs*

Bruceski posted:

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Strange game indeed since I wasn’t the one to coin it

But please explain why I’m to receive all the credit

You have an hour

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
My first girlfriend had a particular odor whenever she got excited and at first it was extremely off-putting, especially considering she was my first sexual partner. I used to burn candles the next day to get rid of the lingering smell.

After a month or two I got adjusted to it and tbh it started really getting me going when we'd hop in the car after a date and I could tell she was rarin' to go.

Probably tmi guys I apologize in advance!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
:chloe:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
It IS TMI but thank you for sharing anyway lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

teen witch posted:

Strange game indeed since I wasn’t the one to coin it

But please explain why I’m to receive all the credit

You have an hour

Oops I remembered wrong, it's Guess The Slur, not Guess That Slur

teen witch posted:

I didn’t call for the probe, I was fixing a decade old MacBook Pro at the time.

E: enough with guess the slur for now everyone, seriously

But I wasn't actually trying to incite people to guess the slur, since I know you don't like it. Sarcasm doesn't translate well online, unfortunately.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah it's a little interesting to know what he's saying but the important part is he's just being even more of a huge rear end in a top hat than he was already, which is kind of impressive because the bar is set so low.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Oops I remembered wrong, it's Guess The Slur, not Guess That Slur

But I wasn't actually trying to incite people to guess the slur, since I know you don't like it. Sarcasm doesn't translate well online, unfortunately.

You still have approx 40 min to explain yourself

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I know we don’t think of Italians as being of another race but maybe we shouldn’t play Guess the Slur regardless?

Okay, we're going to stop with this "Guess the Slur" game that some of you seem to love playing every few days. And no, putting it behind a spoiler bar doesn't mean you somehow didn't participate.

This was in response to at least three people wasting no time in playing “Guess the Slur” after the OP of the little person story wasn’t specific. There was no cultural misunderstanding, give me a loving break.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Swedes should be called sweens i think

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

teen witch posted:

You still have approx 40 min to explain yourself
The concept is that of a 60s game show called Guess That Slur in the nature of Name That Tune or something similar. Such a show would not likely exist for numerous reasons, and the notion that it does is exist is absurd.

It has come up multiple times in this thread where a slur is left out of a reddit post, that multiple people trip over themselves trying to determine what was left out. As demonstrated in the quote above, you do not care for such posts.

The joke exists in the dichotomy between your actual stance on slur guessing (you do not care for it) and this imaginary show being your favourite, when it is more likely you would not be enjoy this show.

It was attributed to you and not Pope Corky only because I forgot that they also do not like the Slur Guessing posts. Why I can half-remember posts in this thread from a year and a half ago but I not mother's birthday is something I can not explain (though part of the reason is that her ID doesn't match her actual birthday because she's from Iraq)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i was just riffing on that joke and did not mean to misattribute the origins of "guess the slur", and if i inadvertently contributed to any misunderstandings then i deeply apologize

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

The concept is that of a 60s game show called Guess That Slur in the nature of Name That Tune or something similar. Such a show would not likely exist for numerous reasons, and the notion that it does is exist is absurd.

It has come up multiple times in this thread where a slur is left out of a reddit post, that multiple people trip over themselves trying to determine what was left out. As demonstrated in the quote above, you do not care for such posts.

The joke exists in the dichotomy between your actual stance on slur guessing (you do not care for it) and this imaginary show being your favourite, when it is more likely you would not be enjoy this show.

It was attributed to you and not Pope Corky only because I forgot that they also do not like the Slur Guessing posts. Why I can half-remember posts in this thread from a year and a half ago but I not mother's birthday is something I can not explain (though part of the reason is that her ID doesn't match her actual birthday because she's from Iraq)

No

Foo Diddley posted:

i was just riffing on that joke and did not mean to misattribute the origins of "guess the slur", and if i inadvertently contributed to any misunderstandings then i deeply apologize

Yes

endocriminologist posted:

Swedes should be called sweens i think

Svenne/Svennar is what you’re looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

Raygereio posted:

AITA mods removed the post. Apparently it's rule that a post can't even mention violence.

I had a troll post removed because I claimed I had a tenant that was wrecking his living space, punching walls, etc but revealed at the end it was about my then unborn son.

Granted, it got removed at that point because it was a total troll post, but had the mods actually read the post, it would've been painfully obvious it wasn't really "violence." (Not that my insides agreed. Little weasel loved grabbing and twisting my insides painfully while I was trying to sleep.)