Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

kimbo305 posted:

You got it mixed up about travel (but maybe not ultimate effect), per above explanation.

Dangit. I posted before having coffee, a rookie mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

SimonSays posted:

The levers would have hit the bars and you wouldn't have stopped. Don't mix brake pulls folks

Lol even worse. Well, don't have to worry about it now at least.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Can anyone comment on the wear on these two sets of chainrings for sale? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/454219326800279/?mibextid=dXMIcH
Looks pretty ok to me, particularly the 52, but would be great to get a second opinion.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Sticky Date posted:

Can anyone comment on the wear on these two sets of chainrings for sale? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/454219326800279/?mibextid=dXMIcH
Looks pretty ok to me, particularly the 52, but would be great to get a second opinion.

I'm not an expert but would say the inner rings have pretty un-worn (but different for the 34 and 36) profiles on the teeth, whilst the outers look too rounded off. The 52 does look less worn that the 50 though I think. All the teeth should be slightly squared off on the top (like below) but they seem quite a bit rounder from the pictures.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Yeah thanks he sent me some more photos, 50 looks done, but 52 seems pretty good? I dunno now, price with the cranks is still pretty good...but I don't need new cranks...

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

You need to go toward the stem or use the button the other way (away from the bars).

I had scheduled a ride with a friend today so I was out of tinkering time and figured I could get by with pull to shift. I stopped at the bike shop at the foot of the trails and they diagnosed a bent shift lever so it bent back and everything is fine now. I'm glad they did because it turns out 20 years of push to shift muscle memory is hard to undo.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’ve stripped the seat post clamp on my Domane. The seat height is fine, but I can’t lower the seat for travel or making adjustments.

My bike shop is hesitant about working on the bike because they don’t want to damage it. I’d like to get a quick release clamp on it.

I’m just wondering if anyone has advice. I’d appreciate it.

ee: why the gently caress isn timg working

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 6, 2023

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

hadji murad posted:

I’ve stripped the seat post clamp on my Domane. The seat height is fine, but I can’t lower the seat for travel or making adjustments.

My bike shop is hesitant about working on the bike because they don’t want to damage it. I’d like to get a quick release clamp on it.

I’m just wondering if anyone has advice. I’d appreciate it.

Post a picture of the clamp

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

I stripped the crank bolt trying to figure out how to remove the Stout Pro crankset from a 2021 Specialized Chisel. I'm replacing the crankset with an FC-M8120-1 so I could just cut this off as a last resort, but any advice for removing it cleanly?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

loaf posted:

any advice for removing it cleanly?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you're desperate, maybe try to tap in whatever size Torx bit will jam in there?

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Thanks! Hammering in a Torx just stripped it more, but I was able to screw it the rest of the way out with pliers by wrapping the head with a piece of inner tube. Too bad my exploratory surgery disabled the bike, but a new crankset with shorter arms and a power meter is on the way.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
yeah specialized hosed people over with that level build and glued the crank bolt in and made the bolt out of cheese

Had the same issue with mine when I removed it

e: don't forget you'll need a new bottom bracket if you're switching to shimano cranks. And you'll need the adapter to install it because shimano decided to make the BB interface smaller than what most tools will use but they don't include the adapter anymore!
This one basically I think but then as I said make sure you have a tool or adapter that will fit
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-XT-BB-MT800-Bottom-Bracket

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 6, 2023

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Glad it's not just me. I assumed I was doing something wrong, but now that everything's apart I don't see how the bolt could ever come off intact. Maybe I shouldn't have gone for the cheap bottom bracket but I already ordered a BB-MT501 (for 68 or 73mm, so I assume it comes with spacers) and the Park Tool BBT-9.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

People asking that question won't know what these are called so OP These are called EZ-Outs (maybe easy-outs?) and you should have a set if you do anything with tools as part of your life.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Any idea whether the crank bolt for these Stout cranks functions similarly to the Hollowtech compression cap, where it's completely passive after the crank arm bolts are tightened down? I just put them back together while applying light compression with a C-clamp but don't want the arm to fall off mid-ride.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

loaf posted:

Any idea whether the crank bolt for these Stout cranks functions similarly to the Hollowtech compression cap, where it's completely passive after the crank arm bolts are tightened down? I just put them back together while applying light compression with a C-clamp but don't want the arm to fall off mid-ride.

Yes, given that the torque spec is 2-2.5 n-m, it’s just a preload cap. It should have required basically no effort to remove, especially with the pinch bolts backed out. Given that all the threads have had the black finish worn off, it was probably cross-threaded and whoever installed it just decided to keep going.

The cap probably provides a small amount of extra security against the crank slipping off in the event the pinch bolts are loose or fail though.

Large alloy bolt with a tiny 4mm (or 5mm?) hex interface is like… seriously? I mean I get it I guess. They wanted to use a key size appropriate for 2.5 n-m of torque, but they kind of forgot the potential for interface welding / galling / corrosion….

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 7, 2023

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Yes, given that the torque spec is 2-2.5 n-m, it’s just a preload cap. It should have required basically no effort to remove, especially with the pinch bolts backed out. Given that all the threads have had the black finish worn off, it was probably cross-threaded and whoever installed it just decided to keep going.

The cap probably provides a small amount of extra security against the crank slipping off in the event the pinch bolts are loose or fail though.

Large alloy bolt with a tiny 4mm (or 5mm?) hex interface is like… seriously? I mean I get it I guess. They wanted to use a key size appropriate for 2.5 n-m of torque, but they kind of forgot the potential for interface welding / galling / corrosion….

Thanks, I just rode 20 miles with a lot of climbing and it's still tight. Seems fine.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol that they appear to have inadvertently invented a 2.5nm bolt that enforces its torque limit

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Any idea if these bolts are supposed to come out? I bought an Ultegra R8010 direct mount brake hoping to upgrade the lovely Tektro on my TT bike but it turns out the frame uses a pre-standard mount. Some googling comes up with this Slowtwitch thread about doing the upgrade on a Felt B14 (https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Installing_Ultegra_rear_brake_on_Felt_B14_P6480893) but the bolts on my Boardman frame won't turn and I'm worried I'll damage the frame trying to get them out. I didn't spend a lot on the replacement brake so it's not the end of the world if I can't use it but it'd be nice to ditch the Tektro, mostly because I currently have to take the chainring off to do any adjustments.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I just received a brand new Canyon Grail Al 7 gravel bike (with sram axs 12 speed) and when I took the rear wheel off to remove the dork disc, the whole freehub body (cassette and all) slid right off of the hub axle, exposing the pawls etc. It all went right back together, secured by the threaded thru axle when I put the wheel back on, and rides just fine. Is that a thing on new thru axle bikes, or is some kind of feature that retains the freehub body to the axle missing?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tylertfb posted:

I just received a brand new Canyon Grail Al 7 gravel bike (with sram axs 12 speed) and when I took the rear wheel off to remove the dork disc, the whole freehub body (cassette and all) slid right off of the hub axle, exposing the pawls etc. It all went right back together, secured by the threaded thru axle when I put the wheel back on, and rides just fine. Is that a thing on new thru axle bikes, or is some kind of feature that retains the freehub body to the axle missing?

Totally normal on some hubs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That seems less than ideal for roadside puncture repairs

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why would you be removing the cassette to repair a puncture?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

More like: remove the wheel to fix the puncture and the freehub flies off, tossing the ratchets and springs into the roadside dirt ….

mystes
May 31, 2006

Huh? They were saying it happened unintentionally and were asking if that's normal, so why are you asking them why they would be doing it intentionally?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tylertfb posted:

More like: remove the wheel to fix the puncture and the freehub flies off, tossing the ratchets and springs into the roadside dirt ….

Yeah this

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mystes posted:

Huh? They were saying it happened unintentionally and were asking if that's normal, so why are you asking them why they would be doing it intentionally?

They were removing the dork disc? Which is, you know, behind the cassette. This is a pretty common thing on DT Swiss hubs and people manage to not somehow throw their entire axle into the bushes.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

They were removing the dork disc? Which is, you know, behind the cassette. This is a pretty common thing on DT Swiss hubs and people manage to not somehow throw their entire axle into the bushes.

The dork disc removal was just the context behind why he was removing the wheel, and actually not really relevant. The question arose because (as described, any way) the cassette came off, with the freehub body, as soon as the wheel was removed from the bike. Not, say, after using a tool to remove the securely attached cassette.

Steve French fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 7, 2023

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
The body itself is held on by a seal iirc, so it could be that it wasn't properly seated before which is why it fell off so easily. I can pull my DT hub body off fairly easily but there's some resistance before it comes loose.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I replaced the chain and cassette on my mountain bike at the beginning of the year, new and old are both shimano 12 speed hyperglide. didn't touch the upper, lower, or B screws on the derailleur at the time. I replaced the chainring too, went from 30t to 28t, sized the new chain based on the old one and took two links out, as there was a little too much slack.

Shifts find but it has been a bit noisy in the lower four gears. I've noticed that as the cassette rotates it doesn't look like all the links are fully seating into the teeth (picture below is a bit past the 9 o'clock position, you can see daylight between the bottom of the link and the ). I think what I'm hearing is a rumble caused by the chain shifting on the cassette as it gets to the top of the rotation and closing these gaps.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Here is the picture of intense clamp damage that I have been threatening to post for a while.

The shop was reluctant to fix it because they didn’t want to damage the frame.

I want to remain on good terms with them, because they inspect the bike every few months and usually don’t charge. And they have the new part that I need.

Just wondering what you guys think.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

hadji murad posted:

Just wondering what you guys think.
I can tell you what I would personally try and the order I would try after being sure I had a replacement clamp on hand:
  1. try using an extractor bit/easy out
  2. Cut a slot in the bolt head for a big flathead screwdriver
  3. Cut the bolt itself in the gap of the clamp with a Dremel.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CopperHound posted:

I can tell you what I would personally try and the order I would try after being sure I had a replacement clamp on hand:
  1. try using an extractor bit/easy out
  2. Cut a slot in the bolt head for a big flathead screwdriver
  3. Cut the bolt itself in the gap of the clamp with a Dremel.

I would do 2 first because it's easy to gently caress up center drilling the bolt and damage the threads

It's hard to tell but it might even have enough meat on there to just grab it with some vice grips

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Slavvy posted:

it's easy to gently caress up center drilling the bolt and damage the threads
Oh definitely, but on very rare occasions it gets a good enough bite without any drilling.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd 100% just Dremel that out if you have a Dremel and can use one without hurting yourself. Mask the frame up so you don't mark the paint.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hadji murad posted:

Here is the picture of intense clamp damage that I have been threatening to post for a while.

The shop was reluctant to fix it because they didn’t want to damage the frame.

I don’t understand, is it just a rounded bolt head?

10 minute max fix for any competent shop, wtf. Good quality hex keys or mole grips might do it without even the slightest risk to the frame.

And your frame is just aluminium, not anything even crazy expensive - are they scared of depriving the world of an irreplaceable relic if they somehow screw up?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya I woulda sliced that off with a dremel in 5 minutes and probably wouldn't have charged you more than a fiver back when I worked at a shop.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Being Japan, let’s just say it’s a cultural difference.

They really really don’t want to take responsibility for the slightest mishap.

I’m not very tool oriented, hence the original gently caress up, and not having a Dremel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The bike shop really should have been able to handle that.

I'd probably try turning it with vice grips or pliers. If you have a file or dremel you can flatten the outside of the bolt and try to grip it that way. If that doesn't work I'd go for the screw extractors or dremel the bolt shaft like others have says.