Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kikas posted:

WHAT. Why did this happen oh nooooooo
Ironic since I think his Kiev coverage was one of the best ones out there.
Back in January of this year. A few women came forward and accused him of trying to pressure them into having sex with him. His lawyer released a statement that said something like “Andrew is using this opportunity to learn and grow as a person.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that the Opening Arguments Andrew or did another Andrew turned out to be a sex pest at the same time? Goddammit.

E: never mind, just remembered that Andrew's last name was Torrez

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 28, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

They really want that Activision deal to go through it seems.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

It took em 10 years to make EE equivalent to the rest of europe.

I guess they really hate money huh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TearsOfPirates posted:

It took em 10 years to make EE equivalent to the rest of europe.

I guess they really hate money huh

you still can't create a psn account in latvia, and the official sony latvia dealership advice is to choose finland as the country, which gets extremely funny in that finland only has phone support on psn lol

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you still can't create a psn account in latvia, and the official sony latvia dealership advice is to choose finland as the country, which gets extremely funny in that finland only has phone support on psn lol

.... And is that support in... Finnish?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In EE we already have a games subscription service, it's called :filez:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

.... And is that support in... Finnish?

i forgot to call during the refund window of a game i wasn't sure i wanted to buy in the end

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

Today in what Russian cops bother with to not get sent to the Bakhmut trenches - they have started a crackdown on teenagers affiliated with the fearsome Ryodan PMC

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1630313046554865664

In a sudden display of soft power those vape-crazy kids even manage to influence similar doomer teens to raise hell in Ukraine, including Ivano-Frankivsk, a place long believed to be supremely hostile to any Russian influence.

Now Belarus, too! 200 detained in Homiel alone (~500k population). Nothing in Minsk for some reason.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Oh boy. I wonder if this will cross over to Poland.

Manga and anime are so huge all of the sudden here. The few tiny comic stores that held on for the past 20 years in Warsaw are suddenly expanding into neighboring spaces and it’s all filled with manga, not to mention the numerous Korean and Japanese specialty stores popping up.

Best I can tell, this started a few years ago with the K-pop invasion and Netflix carpet bombing the media sphere with Korean soaps, and then the youths (:rant:) sort of drifting into the manga area that’s been around for the past 20 years, albeit in a tiny form.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Oh boy. I wonder if this will cross over to Poland.

Manga and anime are so huge all of the sudden here. The few tiny comic stores that held on for the past 20 years in Warsaw are suddenly expanding into neighboring spaces and it’s all filled with manga, not to mention the numerous Korean and Japanese specialty stores popping up.

Best I can tell, this started a few years ago with the K-pop invasion and Netflix carpet bombing the media sphere with Korean soaps, and then the youths (:rant:) sort of drifting into the manga area that’s been around for the past 20 years, albeit in a tiny form.

A fun fact to know here is that France is the second-largest manga market after Japan. This could very well be the French industrial-weeb complex moving into Poland.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The Franco-Belgian Axis has had a very healthy comic scene for a long time. I would not be surprised to find a vibrant banlieue manga youth subculture, undoubtedly very scary to France's upper class twits.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

btw for all the lurking latvians, there's a small change for tax filing this year

https://lvportals.lv/skaidrojumi/349442-2022-gada-ienakumu-deklaracija-jaunums-jasniedz-informacija-par-veselibas-apdrosinasanas-ligumu-2023

quote:

Jautājums:

Vai, iesniedzot 2022. gada ienākumu deklarāciju, ir izmaiņas salīdzinājumā ar iepriekšējo gadu? Kam būtu jāpievērš uzmanība nodokļu maksātājiem, kuri iepriekšējos gados GID ir snieguši un uzskata, ka visu labi pārzina? Jautājums ir gan par tiem, kuriem GID jāiesniedz obligāti, gan tiem, kuri to iesniedz brīvprātīgi.

Informē VID nodokļu speciālisti:

Šogad pirmo reizi cilvēkiem, kuri deklarācijai pievieno savus maksājumu dokumentus par ārstnieciskajiem pakalpojumiem, būs jānorāda, vai konkrētajā gadā bijis veselības apdrošināšanas līgums. Ja atbilde būs apstiprinoša, jānorāda veselības apdrošināšanas pakalpojuma sniedzēja nosaukums un apdrošināšanas periods. Tas ļaus VID darbiniekiem, ja nepieciešams, ātrāk iegūt no apdrošinātāja informāciju un vienlaikus paātrinās deklarācijas izskatīšanu. Tādēļ pirms deklarācijas aizpildīšanas aicinām sagatavot datus par savu veselības apdrošināšanas pakalpojuma sniedzēju un apdrošināšanas periodu, lai varētu deklarācijā precīzi norādīt nepieciešamo informāciju.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I wonder how much of the whole Ryodan thing is just a moral panic like the Blue Whale death cult everyone was so terrified of several years ago. What is factual so far is that there was a brawl in Moscow between football fans and anime fans, where anime fans managed to hold their own quite well. Then, it looks like, they ironically adopted the PMC name to celebrate the fact they were the ones beating someone up for once, and that maybe attracted anime fans from all over ex-USSR to their shitposting group. The rest, like planning attacks on immigrants or promoting suicide, I haven't seen any evidence of that, not even screenshots from vk/tg. Maybe I missed something, but I begin to think it's nothing more than teenagers who lack parental control doing cringey poo poo online and hanging out with other kids from their subculture. Considering some anime titles (like DeathNote, Inuyasha, Tokyo Ghoul, etc.) are banned in Russia for promoting suicide and LGBT ideology, it only makes sense that the police would see any publicly rowdy anime fans as dangerous terrorists. And since it all started in Russia, it also makes sense that in Ukraine the police would treat it as part of Russian hybrid warfare.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I wonder how much of the whole Ryodan thing is just a moral panic like the Blue Whale death cult everyone was so terrified of several years ago. What is factual so far is that there was a brawl in Moscow between football fans and anime fans, where anime fans managed to hold their own quite well. Then, it looks like, they ironically adopted the PMC name to celebrate the fact they were the ones beating someone up for once, and that maybe attracted anime fans from all over ex-USSR to their shitposting group. The rest, like planning attacks on immigrants or promoting suicide, I haven't seen any evidence of that, not even screenshots from vk/tg. Maybe I missed something, but I begin to think it's nothing more than teenagers who lack parental control doing cringey poo poo online and hanging out with other kids from their subculture. Considering some anime titles (like DeathNote, Inuyasha, Tokyo Ghoul, etc.) are banned in Russia for promoting suicide and LGBT ideology, it only makes sense that the police would see any publicly rowdy anime fans as dangerous terrorists. And since it all started in Russia, it also makes sense that in Ukraine the police would treat it as part of Russian hybrid warfare.

Yeah, this looks like 2ch meme gone irl to me. Edgy/semi-topical reason to have some strelkas and to just hang out.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://twitter.com/kos_data/status/1630604130560405508

Seems legit.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i, for one, welcome giant Iceland moving across the sea, apparently reviving the commonwealth, and conquering anatolia and spain

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This is amazing on so many levels.

Smallithuania

Ukraine being unaligned, but Crimea being part of the European Alliance (and no longer under Russian control)

Austroslovakia

Robmania

The Scots apparently conquering the rest of the UK, apart from NI which joins the Republic

Bulgreece

The Yugo-Danish Union!!!

I hope you posted this in the politically loaded maps thread, op!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Latvian Empire.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I hope you posted this in the politically loaded maps thread, op!

I nicked it from the awful/funny graphs thread, I think :ninja:

My theory is that the status of Crimea is connected to the devastated Istanbul and east Balkans coast

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Latvian Empire.

6 > 5

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

In the end, it's not even a ridiculous map if you think what the political map of Europe looked like in 1914 or 1923 compared to today. Just more of the shoreline should be under water.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that one american company i had to deal business with last year that still had yugoslavian office listed in their contacts book might jus be biding its time after all

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Nenonen posted:

In the end, it's not even a ridiculous map if you think what the political map of Europe looked like in 1914 or 1923 compared to today. Just more of the shoreline should be under water.

This post is so American it brought a gun to school

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So Finland finally does the welfare trick where we declare a war to Norway on a Norwegian bank holiday morning, and surrender the same afternoon demanding to be fully annexed.

EDIT: Shame that the Danish went with Yugoslavia, we could have had a sweet "No Sweden" Union going on.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 1, 2023

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

A fun fact to know here is that France is the second-largest manga market after Japan. This could very well be the French industrial-weeb complex moving into Poland.

Is that why Dragon Ball Z in our TV had (atrocious) French opening and French dubbing. (with Piccolo name changed to "Satan Little Heart" for some reason)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Ukraine being unaligned, but Crimea being part of the European Alliance (and no longer under Russian control)

This is a plot of 1981 book Crimea Island where thanks to being a proper island it becomes Russian Taiwan after the Civil War

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think those "Non-aligned" is some shorthand for "boooooring" instead of Yuuge Smallithuania. Has Germany border moved?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

alex314 posted:

I think those "Non-aligned" is some shorthand for "boooooring" instead of Yuuge Smallithuania. Has Germany border moved?

Not that I can see, the borders look to be unchanged.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/arzemes/moldovas-parlaments-atbalsta-jedziena-rumanu-valoda-ieviesanu-visos-oficialajos-dokumentos.a499053/

Huh, this is kind-of a bombshell, really. The Moldovan government has voted to do away with the term “Moldovan language”, meaning that the de jure official language of Moldova is now Romanian, and so on.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/arzemes/moldovas-parlaments-atbalsta-jedziena-rumanu-valoda-ieviesanu-visos-oficialajos-dokumentos.a499053/

Huh, this is kind-of a bombshell, really. The Moldovan government has voted to do away with the term “Moldovan language”, meaning that the de jure official language of Moldova is now Romanian, and so on.

To add some context, Moldovan IS Romanian (or, if you're so inclined, a language so close to Romanian that a lot of native speakers won't always be able to tell the difference). The differences between the two are no bigger than between American and British English. However, politically speaking, there's obviously agenda behind what you call the language, same as with Serbo-Croatian/ Serbo-Croat-Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian, for example. Calling it Moldovan was something that the Soviet government pushed for to foster a fully separate national identity on previously Romanian territories. There's a whole different conversation to be had about historical justifications for that, let's just say it's not as clear-cut as 'the Soviets made up the Moldavan identity', but it was something they used to achieve their own goals in the region. How the language is called now is not neatly mapped to political views either, plus people often use the terms interchangeably, but broadly speaking, insisting on calling it Moldovan is associated more with pro-Russian leanings, while insisting on calling it Romanian signifies leaning towards EU (and possibly unification with Romania).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Paladinus posted:

To add some context, Moldovan IS Romanian (or, if you're so inclined, a language so close to Romanian that a lot of native speakers won't always be able to tell the difference). The differences between the two are no bigger than between American and British English. However, politically speaking, there's obviously agenda behind what you call the language, same as with Serbo-Croatian/ Serbo-Croat-Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian, for example. Calling it Moldovan was something that the Soviet government pushed for to foster a fully separate national identity on previously Romanian territories. There's a whole different conversation to be had about historical justifications for that, let's just say it's not as clear-cut as 'the Soviets made up the Moldavan identity', but it was something they used to achieve their own goals in the region. How the language is called now is not neatly mapped to political views either, plus people often use the terms interchangeably, but broadly speaking, insisting on calling it Moldovan is associated more with pro-Russian leanings, while insisting on calling it Romanian signifies leaning towards EU (and possibly unification with Romania).

obligatory companion explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9RJQPZsj8E

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

"have any smokes? and if i find them?" lmao

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Paladinus posted:

"The territory of modern Moldova, excluding Transnistria, was part of Romania until 1940"

Wait, really? *checks internet* Transnistria was originally part of... Ukraine?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
nm, you were correct, 1924-40 Transnistria was autonomous republic within Ukrainian SSR

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 6, 2023

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Elections happened in Estonia. I don't know know poo poo aside from what I read on Twitter, but EKRE lost seats which can only be good.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

Elections happened in Estonia. I don't know know poo poo aside from what I read on Twitter, but EKRE lost seats which can only be good.

People were fretting over EKRE seeming ascendant a few months earlier, and pundits weren't sure if they needed to be pricing a silent majority of Russian speakers somewhere. What ended up happening is that Kallas's party increased shares, and another liberal party swung up 9 percentage points, meaning that Kallas has 2 different options that each get her a ~45% coalition stub to sprinkle with one or two more parties.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

One notable thing, I guess, would be that more than 50% of voters did cast their vote digitally.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

EKRE immediately brought out the familiar Trumpian talking points, talking about how they plan to challenge the results in court and and that they do not recognize the current results.

Feels to me like they mainly got hosed by their gutless "we are not for Ukraine or for Russia, we are for peace" stance and picking fights with the commander of our defence forces.

https://twitter.com/MikeCalamus/status/1632479088639352832
lol
https://twitter.com/JaakMadison/status/1629233332113350657
lmao

cinci zoo sniper posted:

One notable thing, I guess, would be that more than 50% of voters did cast their vote digitally.
Took me a few minutes - had to grab the reader from a cupboard and flip my id-card once because of course I always first insert it wrong way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Impressive how they copy paste the same bullshit as everyone else does that you can read the question/poll in a foreign language with no problem

Edit: well, actually it’s opposite :v: at least the response was predictable then