Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HD DAD posted:

It’s so, so refreshing going back to the problem-of-the-week. Not just aforementioned fantastic Spock Amok, but also stuff like “let’s sing at this sentient asteroid to convince it not to hit a pre-warp civilization” or “a Boltzmann Brain wants a friend”. It’s just lovely stuff.

That first one actually has the moment where Peck went from being 'pretty good as Spock' to just being Spock for me. His second motivational speech to Uhura is just written and performed perfectly to where it's like 'yep, that's Spock' for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Beeftweeter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXie4nQf6E

hm

minor spoilers: looks like shaw gets taken out pretty early

i'm not sure i agree with that decision. i think it'd be more interesting if we see him as being ineffectual for a while before simply giving up

I'm just glad Shaw didn't get killed by a handrail

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Who the gently caress did Whil Wheaton piss off in that writer's room?

I'd bet real money that, to the extent that the writers knew/cared about TNG before this project, their main reference was Meme Wesley the annoying kid genius who everybody told to shut up all the time. So naturally when planning this thing out Matalas et. al. decided that nobody actually wanted Wesley Crusher back for anything, right?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Chairman posted:

I'm just glad Shaw didn't get killed by a handrail

lol we'll see

that's more blood than they usually show for someone that got owned by a bridge console, and he seems to be transferring command because he's gonna tap out

i don't think it's going to be permanent of course either, but still

episode seems like it's going to be enjoyable though so there's that. picard seems to be more of himself again, which is of course a welcome change

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

lol you guys thought there was a nuanced character development arc happening

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

That patented Terry Matalas rug pull, folks! :buddy:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Alchenar posted:

no no lol

he definitely sticks around for more than a couple episodes. a lot of reviewers have said he's their favorite character but admittedly they are vague on just how long that continues for

it's very obviously a convenient way for riker to take command of the titan though, which ultimately is what i'd expect from these writers. i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't show up again for an episode or two

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

no no lol

he definitely sticks around for more than a couple episodes. a lot of reviewers have said he's their favorite character but admittedly they are vague on just how long that continues for

it's very obviously a convenient way for riker to take command of the titan though, which ultimately is what i'd expect from these writers. i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't show up again for an episode or two

It would be insanely On Brand for Star Trek: Picard for everyone's favorite character to be the guy who dies in Episode 3 out of 10 and then the rest of the show sucks so badly everyone spends the rest of the season pining for the guy who disappears at the start of the show. Like how Laris and Zhaban were the best characters of Season 1 and they're gone by the 2.5 hour mark. Or how Laris is also the best character of Season 2 and she's out the door in 20 minutes that time. This show has A Thing that it sticks to...

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nine-gear crow posted:

It would be insanely On Brand for Star Trek: Picard for everyone's favorite character to be the guy who dies in Episode 3 out of 10 and then the rest of the show sucks so badly everyone spends the rest of the season pining for the guy who disappears at the start of the show. Like how Laris and Zhaban were the best characters of Season 1 and they're gone by the 2.5 hour mark. Or how Laris is also the best character of Season 2 and she's out the door in 20 minutes that time. This show has A Thing that it sticks to...

absolutely true also and i wouldn't expect anything much different to happen. as with most of the other characters it's one hell of a missed opportunity

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Beeftweeter posted:

lol we'll see

that's more blood than they usually show for someone that got owned by a bridge console, and he seems to be transferring command because he's gonna tap out

i don't think it's going to be permanent of course either, but still

episode seems like it's going to be enjoyable though so there's that. picard seems to be more of himself again, which is of course a welcome change

Nah, when they panned down I'm fairly sure I saw some bone sticking out of his leg so the action makes sense even pro tempore.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's the most frustrating feature of these shows. The writers are perfectly capable of setting up interesting concepts for stories/characters and casting finds the right people for them. They give those ideas or characters just enough space in the script to breath and show their potential. And then they go 'gently caress doing something new or interesting, time for some extremely misplaced nostalgia for poorly remembered TNG'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That could also easily be an excuse for the Crushers to be show how much the Titan's doctor sucks and shove her out of the way so Bev can do some crazy surgical thing she learned out on the fringes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Plotac 75 posted:

Nah, when they panned down I'm fairly sure I saw some bone sticking out of his leg so the action makes sense even pro tempore.

yeah i watched it again and you're right, he does hurt his leg, but his speech sounds kind of confused and is noticeably slower. i guess we'll see

one other thing that stuck out to me (i don't think this is really a spoiler): they blow away the shrike with a phaser-torpedo combo. well, cool, but how was the next line anything but "get us the hell out of here, any direction, maximum warp"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Beeftweeter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXie4nQf6E

hm

minor spoilers: looks like shaw gets taken out pretty early

i'm not sure i agree with that decision. i think it'd be more interesting if we see him as being ineffectual for a while before simply giving up

Oh for gently caress sake

We finally have a remotely interesting character and they are already sidelined

For gently caress sake

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

But this also means that the writers have moved beyond their One Werid Trick to write off charecters in that he is not left behind in a random bar.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

It's the most frustrating feature of these shows. The writers are perfectly capable of setting up interesting concepts for stories/characters and casting finds the right people for them. They give those ideas or characters just enough space in the script to breath and show their potential. And then they go 'gently caress doing something new or interesting, time for some extremely misplaced nostalgia for poorly remembered TNG'.

It is the Anti-Mandalorian in a lot of ways. Mando, at least in its first season, before Season 2 also devolved into a parade of nostalgia fanservice, was an incredibly collaborative environment to the point where the directors for each episode of the season basically formed a little pack that went everywhere together and were on set for the whole drat show shadowing the director whose "turn" it was to direct, observing and giving feedback, and then taking into account what the others would say and suggest when it came to be their turn. That's why Bryce Dallas Howard's episodes were the two best the show has done so far because she utilized the gently caress out of her talent pool around he on top of jut being a naturally gifted director AND the nepo baby of another insanely gifted director.

Picard's writers room seems to be the inverse of that. Instead of a group of people collaborating to tell a complete and coherent story from episode to episode, each writer for each episode goes off into their cubicle and writes whatever the gently caress they feel like this episode should be about in a complete vaccum and then turn their scripts in to Akiva Goldsman who looks at them and goes "Oh fuuuuck I hope this comes together in the editing booth" while Terry Matalas is out there getting in Twitter spats with folks just asking him minor questions and going on the livestreams of racist shitbags like Robert Meyer Burnett and Gary Beuchler and going "Do you guys love me yet? Please tell me you love me. My ego can't handle you not loving me :nyoron:"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Twincityhacker posted:

But this also means that the writers have moved beyond their One Werid Trick to write off charecters in that he is not left behind in a random bar.

when you think about it, the ship is shaw's bar, really

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

TulliusCicero posted:

Oh for gently caress sake

We finally have a remotely interesting character and they are already sidelined

For gently caress sake

I mean, at least his skeleton didn’t graphically explode due to a spatial anomaly or alien torture technique, as would’ve been the case in season 1.

Skull Trek actually holding back for a change.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Maybe he gets blown up every episode from now on but just barely lives, like their own version of Kenny

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
We still have 8 more episodes for some major character to be reduced to a gibbering blood skeleton before they fall apart to cartoon xylophone sounds.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

HD DAD posted:

We still have 8 more episodes for some major character to be reduced to a gibbering blood skeleton before they fall apart to cartoon xylophone sounds.

RIP Admiral Nechayev

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i watched it again and you're right, he does hurt his leg, but his speech sounds kind of confused and is noticeably slower. i guess we'll see

one other thing that stuck out to me (i don't think this is really a spoiler): they blow away the shrike with a phaser-torpedo combo. well, cool, but how was the next line anything but "get us the hell out of here, any direction, maximum warp"

he mostly sounds pissed as hell, like he's struggling to keep himself from just cussing at Riker until he passes out from blood loss

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
This is an awful lot of blood, compound fractures, decapitations, and vaporizations

What if they had kept Sneed around as like... a lovable foil character for future use? Like a Brunt?

Nah, better just chop his head off

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

RIP Admiral Nechayev

Janeway comes blasting in to save the day in the Voyager-B and the ship is ripped apart by Vadic's portal gun deck by deck so you see all the crew bodies flying out as the ship completely decompresses and then the remains are portaled inside of itself so it just turns into a clump of meat and steel. Before this happens, we clearly see that she's joined on the bridge by Chakotay, Paris, B'Elana, The Doctor, Harry Kim, Naomi Wildman, Tuvok, Dal, Gynn, Rok Tahk, Jankom Pog, Murf, and Zero who all die screaming alongside her.

Neelix then shows up in a fart ship and is like "Oooo, what did I miss?"

Also Sisko's body flies at the camera and hit the Titan's bridge window leaving behind a bloody smear because he was also on the V-B for a minute or two.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

nine-gear crow posted:

Janeway comes blasting in to save the day in the Voyager-B and the ship is ripped apart by Vadic's portal gun deck by deck so you see all the crew bodies flying out as the ship completely decompresses and then the remains are portaled inside of itself so it just turns into a clump of meat and steel. Before this happens, we clearly see that she's joined on the bridge by Chakotay, Paris, B'Elana, The Doctor, Harry Kim, Naomi Wildman, Tuvok, Dal, Gynn, Rok Tahk, Jankom Pog, Murf, and Zero who all die screaming alongside her.

Neelix then shows up in a fart ship and is like "Oooo, what did I miss?"

Also Sisko's body flies at the camera and hit the Titan's bridge window leaving behind a bloody smear because he was also on the V-B for a minute or two.

... and then Alexander is the main character?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

They have to turn on the windshield wipers to get Sisko’s mutilated body off of the viewscreen.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Literally the most potentially interesting characters are sidelined for the most awful poo poo drek imaginable

Your observation about this show being the Anti-Mandalorian is loving spot on: it's just everyone's idea into every episode with no loving rhyme or reason.

I've actually tried to think of a "bad character" from 90s Trek that I compare to Picard's cast of boring fucks but honestly even Voyager has miles better characterization.

I can't even remember most of the crew and their actual backstory or even motivation or personality, it's kind of stunning.

Picard-old, Loves Data, loves Soji I guess, now a robut who mind melds, loves long winded speeches

Riker-seems like old Riker

Seven of 9-became Samus for a little bit, now Federation again

Raffi- rehab lady with son who doesn't like her, does dumb poo poo like live in squalor in society with free replicators, yells at Picard, shoots phasers in 2024. (Has anyone ever said anything about how loving wierd and problematic this character is written?)

Soji/ Dajj-scientist android lady maybe. Never seen again. Likes and enjoys ??? Goals are ???

Brent Spiner-an Android or a Soong

Rios-Captain drunk man. Kind of liked him

Agnes- android expert, resident wierdo/ borg queen. Really started liking her.

Elnore- Sub Zero

Romulan Wonder Twins- EVIL and EVILER

EVIL SOJI

gently caress me I forgot about Jack Crusher, that new Amazing character

Am I missing anyone?

No seriously why is the only person of color a former drug user in the loving far future where reasons for drug use have largely eliminated? And has a broken family? What the actual gently caress Picard?!

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 1, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Am I missing anyone?

Laris - cool space wine mom minus the kids, super spy, loves Irish cursing, very smart, hot for Picard, shows up for 20 minutes once a year and then vanishes

Not Laris - she was not Laris, also a time cop with a purple smoke door, she's also dead now

Zhaban - cool space dad minus the kids, super spy, comically dense but actually really smart, was married to Laris, now he's dead I guess

Admiral Clancy - told Picard to gently caress off, told Picard to shut the gently caress up, was actually right about literally everything, also just loving gone now goodbye

Bruce Maddox - not played by the same guy who played him in TNG, has like three lines of dialog, weird February-December romance with Jurati, also dead

Bajayzyl - Her name make me think it's someone trying to come up with a slang word for vagina and failing, hosed Seven for a bit, hosed over Seven once, got loving atomized by Seven, she was mildly fun for the three seconds she was on screen

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Laris - cool space wine mom minus the kids, super spy, loves Irish cursing, very smart, hot for Picard, shows up for 20 minutes once a year and then vanishes

Not Laris - she was not Laris, also a time cop with a purple smoke door, she's also dead now

Zhaban - cool space dad minus the kids, super spy, comically dense but actually really smart, was married to Laris, now he's dead I guess

Admiral Clancy - told Picard to gently caress off, told Picard to shut the gently caress up, was actually right about literally everything, also just loving gone now goodbye

Bruce Maddox - not played by the same guy who played him in TNG, has like three lines of dialog, weird February-December romance with Jurati, also dead

Bajayzyl - Her name make me think it's someone trying to come up with a slang word for vagina and failing, hosed Seven for a bit, hosed over Seven once, got loving atomized by Seven, she was mildly fun for the three seconds she was on screen

I left the Tal Shiar butlers off the list because they could be interesting and kind of awesome, same with Shaw but given no screen time.

Was Bajayzal (:lol:) the evil Marina Sirtis look a like?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 1, 2023

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
How are you people forgetting Oh and her sunglasses.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

I left the Tal Shiar butlers off the list because they could be interesting and kind of awesome, same with Shaw but given no screen time.

Was Bajayzal (:lol:) the evil Marina Sirtis look a like?

She was Seven's ex-girlfriend who murdered Icheb.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
they want to show the ship attacks causing more damage to crew physically, but if they're gonna play that loving game then they need to install seatbelts and proper chairs and consoles

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Didn't S1 Picard originally set up the synthetics were framed for Mars by the Slurm Wurm, and thus actually innocent?

...Except when they actually reach the Android planet they are in a loving cult and turns out EVIL SOJI totally wants to destroy all organic life in the galaxy, and trying to summon robo Cthulu, thus proving the Romulan Slurm Wurm organization completely right?

...Did I hallucinate that?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Shaw being immediately sidelined in the first volley is definitely dumb. But I won’t lie, Picard telling Riker to call him Number One is a fun moment. It’s nice to see Stewart and Frakes still have good chemistry after all these years.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Didn't S1 Picard originally set up the synthetics were framed for Mars by the Slurm Wurm, and thus actually innocent?

...Except when they actually reach the Android planet they are in a loving cult and turns out EVIL SOJI totally wants to destroy all organic life in the galaxy, and trying to summon robo Cthulu, thus proving the Romulan Slurm Wurm organization completely right?

...Did I hallucinate that?

No, that is all correct.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

We could’ve had a Riker show where he just listens to jazz, makes awful pizzas, plays the trombone and occasionally shittalks renegade alien captains to their faces.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Shaw being immediately sidelined in the first volley is definitely dumb. But I won’t lie, Picard telling Riker to call him Number One is a fun moment. It’s nice to see Stewart and Frakes still have good chemistry after all these years.

Michelle Hurd says she walked in on Frakes noogying Stewart and them both laughing like two year olds on set one day, so yeah they are still bros for life.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Not going to lie, Frakes is the best part of this heap at the moment and he's still got it. A Riker USS Titan show would own.

Honestly would have been fun to see a Riker or Sulu show (my God please do more poo poo in the Wrath of Khan era, it's such a fun time period)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Michelle Hurd says she walked in on Frakes noogying Stewart and them both laughing like two year olds on set one day, so yeah they are still bros for life.

Michelle Hurd deserves a better written character. Just holy poo poo what a disservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I had a dream last night that I was hanging out with Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, and Marina Sirtis and berating them for how bad Picard was. My wife told me I was being too harsh but it felt justified to me.

We're about halfway through Enterprise season 1 and it's not as bad as expected? It's not great, but it definitely benefits from being watched alongside Picard. Archer feels more like an annoyed teacher than a captain to me, and Trip is kind of annoying, but the rest of the cast is fine.

How does promotion work in Starfleet anyhow? Rios was apparently out of Starfleet in 2399 and a captain by 2401, and Seven was...apparently made a captain by Picard's order in Picard season 2 and then just sort of stayed on as an officer despite not previously serving. Seems like a poo poo deal for the people who try to work their way up the ranks through conventional means.