Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
why does New York insist on making such utter freaks mayor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Under the current staus quo of capitalism, any public executive office holds no real power. Everything is governed by the logic of capitalism and the boards behind the big banks. Public executives are figureheads whose primary social role is to be a punching bag.

Thus, anyone with an ounce of intelligence coupled with an agenda, vision, or will to power avoids these roles like a loving plauge, leaving only the stupid, insane and/or masochistic to fill them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that or he knows there are worse ones out there and got out of the crosshairs. cause as far as these things go it was not as bad as many others that have come to light. he's a loving creep, but larger creeps have shrugged off worse accusations.

I feel like if this were the case the worse ones would've come out already. If he's gone radio silent there's no reason to hold back

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

The city is a parody of itself at this point

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Looking wistfully at my framed picture of Curtis Sliwa and thinking about what could have been.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

uber_stoat posted:

Now, now, New York is the best city, for, uh, reasons? Rent was set in New York City! Let me sing a song about minutes to you while never breaking eye contact, you flyover scum.

Furthermore,

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what would mayor yang be up to right now

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

Being the father of an autistic child.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

feeling very embariced

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm Andrew Yang and we either gonna have errshiues or we're gonna have cerrshews

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

lol what's the other one, we can either berst nerts or _____

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cael posted:

feeling very embariced

all-timer, such a dumb bit

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is wild he would've absolutely been the better choice.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

going to a bodega

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hey remember when we gave these people free healthcare

https://twitter.com/john_hudson/status/1630968908382621696?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Secret rays roast my brain in Havana
I used to make a killing, man
Spyin' on yer gramma
Now I'm a griftin' the CIA
Healthcare! From the USA

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
https://mobile.twitter.com/kenmegalopsuxos/status/1525818968191250432

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Of course now that these ghouls got what they want - health care for life - they can admit that "Havana Syndrome" was bullshit. This trick gets pulled all the time and the people who do it always think we're too dumb to notice.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

My guess is that Havana Syndrome was real, in certain circumstances, and caused by some sort of highly classified experimental CIA/NSA tech

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

My guess is that Havana Syndrome was real, in certain circumstances, and caused by some sort of highly classified experimental CIA/NSA tech

It's guilt

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Kingfish posted:

It's most likely stress.

I'm just riffing too, but there seems to be a huge cluster of autoimmune disorders and poo poo that when you go in to the doctor (especially if you're a woman) the doctor is just like "We can't find anything wrong with you. It's probably in your head." and then that in turns drives you nuts and you wind up a Facebook group for "Toxic Mold Sufferers" who are all convinced their headaches are caused by mold that no one can find or like fibromyalgia or any number of fake diseases.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My guess is that working for the American Schutzstaffel has a negative psychological impact.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think a lot of later cases were people just wanting a free vacation too

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Harry Nilsson broke the news on Havana Syndrome decades ago. You put the lime in the coconut, drink them both up until you get a bellyache, then call Congress for free money so you can drink some more, to relieve your bellyache.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i think a lot of later cases were people just wanting a free vacation too

Also it all started when like 2 people in the Havana office got sick and for some loving reason they gathered everyone together and said "hey look we think we're under attack. If you feel weird, let us know because the Russians might be using energy weapons on us".

Which is an outstanding way to get a whole bunch of reports of really common poo poo like hangovers and headaches and ringing in the ears that you can classify as suspicious. Probably could provoke some mass hysteria if you tried hard enough.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Also it all started when like 2 people in the Havana office got sick and for some loving reason they gathered everyone together and said "hey look we think we're under attack. If you feel weird, let us know because the Russians might be using energy weapons on us".

Which is an outstanding way to get a whole bunch of reports of really common poo poo like hangovers and headaches and ringing in the ears that you can classify as suspicious. Probably could provoke some mass hysteria if you tried hard enough.
It's almost 100% a mass hysteria event

You are telling these various CIA people across the globe that someone is using a mysterious weapon that the government doesn't understand and then people start all reporting similar symptoms in different offices outside of Havana, it gets all of this media attention, and it snowballs from there

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's almost 100% a mass hysteria event

You are telling these various CIA people across the globe that someone is using a mysterious weapon that the government doesn't understand and then people start all reporting similar symptoms in different offices outside of Havana, it gets all of this media attention, and it snowballs from there
100% agree it's mass hysteria.

Being stressed, or hypertension, or eyestrain can all manifest as headaches.

And if you spend all day inside dark rooms at a desk squinting at monitors and then your boss tells you the Russians (or Cubans or Chinese) have secret energy weapons we don't know about or understand, and then you talk to all the other people in all the other secret bases on Twitter or Facebook or Telegram about this...

No poo poo everyone is going to get stressed out and have headaches.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
If Havana Syndrome was such an issue, you would think the CIA of all places would already have treatment for it.

Oh wait, it’s just Munchausen's syndrome for federal agents lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Greatbacon posted:

And if you spend all day inside dark rooms at a desk squinting at monitors and then your boss tells you the Russians (or Cubans or Chinese) have secret energy weapons we don't know about or understand, and then you talk to all the other people in all the other secret bases on Twitter or Facebook or Telegram about this...

Also you're a career State Department lib with a job of spreading freedom through market forces and IMF loans throughout the world, but now *gasp* you work for the Trump Administration! Could ... could you be the bad guy?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'd be a victim of mass hysteria too, if I thought I could get a pile of money out of it.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

all-timer, such a dumb bit

Two things you need to know about me: I'm from Tairwan, and I'm havin' a stroke

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Greatbacon posted:

Plus people have weird poo poo going on and you're going to find things when you cast a weird net. I think it was one of the first cases, Chapo might have even read it, where the guy was all hosed up and thought he was dying as he took a cab ride to the ER. And it was like, yeah man, that sounds horrible. It sounds like a nasty migraine or migraine with aura out of nowhere. Sometimes it happens for no reason, and sometimes you just get hosed by the universe and start having migraines :shrug:. Probably not an energy beam.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

It's most likely stress.

I'm just riffing too, but there seems to be a huge cluster of autoimmune disorders and poo poo that when you go in to the doctor (especially if you're a woman) the doctor is just like "We can't find anything wrong with you. It's probably in your head." and then that in turns drives you nuts and you wind up a Facebook group for "Toxic Mold Sufferers" who are all convinced their headaches are caused by mold that no one can find or like fibromyalgia or any number of fake diseases.

at least half of these are just depression lol

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's kind of amazing how many different ways anxiety can manifest, especially if someone else is experiencing something around you that seems like something you might have some potential of getting yourself. I think even a lot of people without anxiety disorders can relate to hearing a story about a gruesome injury to an eye or something and feeling discomfort around their own eye, so just add in someone more susceptible to anxiety, perhaps already under a lot of other stress, and a story about how they could be affected too, and you have what we saw. Maybe there were some fakers along the way, but I'd bet most people who reported symptoms genuinely thought something bad was happening to them.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I know they did a Tulsa King episode but have the Chapo Boys talked about Yellowstone before? My partner is watching it and it's a deranged window into the deranged anxieties and desires of conservatives/Americans.
Like Sons of Anarchy but for boomers and dudes who wish they were dads.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the dod is going to give all of that money back for super special healthcare for agents who ate a bunch of fried chicken and drank a 6 pack of corona over the age of 35 in a single sitting, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BWV posted:

I know they did a Tulsa King episode but have the Chapo Boys talked about Yellowstone before? My partner is watching it and it's a deranged window into the deranged anxieties and desires of conservatives/Americans.
Like Sons of Anarchy but for boomers and dudes who wish they were dads.
I think they briefly mentioned it in the second Tulsa King episode but none of them had watched it

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Dems clearly didn’t vet this guy at all right

Or they did and they’re just willing to overlook things like this in favor of his psychotic commitment to neoliberalism and the carcerial state.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Mayor Eric Adams pales in comparison to what could have been (Mayor Bo Dietl).

New York is chock full of weird guys like that. It's an outgrowth of a strong single party machine alongside patronage and caring far more about who isn't elected than who is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

First time I got a migraine with aura I thought I was dying.

Was wondering why I had a massive blind spot in my vision taking the bus to class