Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Grift of the Necrodancer.

Goddam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cantorsdust posted:

Crossposting from the hidden gems thread:

Roadwarden rules. One of the better written games I've played in a while.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dreylad posted:

Roadwarden rules. One of the better written games I've played in a while.

I only just recently started it but it’s seems amazing so far. It also reminds me massively of my favorite tabletop RPG, Ironsworn, whose discord is actually where I learned of the game from.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

what’s elden ring

A signifier for the true abyss of The Tarnished.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
You know with all the hemming and hawing and demo-playing I did over the last month, I think the only game I actually bought in full with intention to keep is Aces & Adventures.

I should probably spend most of March until the next big sale happens actually trying to clear demos/backlog if I'm not going to buy things and just screw around anyway.

(Ha! Good luck on enforcing that with only my own willpower.)

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Monday was my birthday AND the release of my brother's game Cache Grabbers, so to celebrate I am going to buy copies of it for the first 3 people who quote this post with their steam profile!

So hit me up if you want to chill out with a relaxing first-person cartography puzzle game!

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Brocktoon posted:

Monday was my birthday AND the release of my brother's game Cache Grabbers, so to celebrate I am going to buy copies of it for the first 3 people who quote this post with their steam profile!

So hit me up if you want to chill out with a relaxing first-person cartography puzzle game!

Happy birthday! I would love to try this!

https://steamcommunity.com/id/gynosaur

I’ll commit to leaving a review as well. Thanks for being so generous.

EDIT - Received. Thanks again! Looking forward to trying it tonight.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 1, 2023

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Brocktoon posted:

I'm all about supporting cool indie titles!

https://steamcommunity.com/id/ndegruchy/

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Brocktoon posted:

I put it on my wishlist after your first posts about it so I would love to try it out.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966514212/

Zathril fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 1, 2023

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Friend requests sent! I hope you all enjoy the game!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Brocktoon posted:

Friend requests sent! I hope you all enjoy the game!
Thanks! Once lunchtime rolls around, I'll get it on my deck and try it out!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Let us know how the game is folks, I am curious!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

unruly posted:

Thanks! Once lunchtime rolls around, I'll get it on my deck and try it out!

I know there are few small issues with it on Deck right now that he's trying to sort out. He has a discussion thread for bugs and I am sure he would appreciate any feedback you have.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2258260/discussions/0/3777994854963591072/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey thanks for whoever was talking about Gedonia itt, I've been playing a bit of it here and there and it's surprisingly a lot of fun. Feels like a single player third person action Runescape. The item thumbnails being ripped from wow gives me weird random nostalgia feels too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Speaking of stuff that's launched recently, I've launched a quirky game called Endless Dark in Early Access. I'll just quote the OP in the thread I made.

quote:

Endless Dark is a quirky little indie game, made by myself and fellow goon Soulmata, currently in Early Access on Steam. It therefore represents the elusive Successful Goon Project insofar as we've actually released a product.

You play a sentient custodian robot entrusted with keeping a sleeper colony ship going. There are no other NPCs, no gribbly aliens, no jump scares, or anything else. It's just you, a job that will never be done, and the endless darkness both around the ship and inside your own head. It is, in essence, the song and story of every cubicle rat, construction drone, and retail slave in a period where everyone tells you to work, but nobody tells you why or for how long. It is generally no one thing that takes you to the cleaners in Endless Dark, but rather a piled up system of little insults that drives you to reeling, staggering, and finally exploding (see post icon for dramatization).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

Hey thanks for whoever was talking about Gedonia itt, I've been playing a bit of it here and there and it's surprisingly a lot of fun. Feels like a single player third person action Runescape. The item thumbnails being ripped from wow gives me weird random nostalgia feels too.

Gedonia made me go re-install Runescape and dump a shameful number of hours into it last November :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it was only a matter of time before the vampire survivors bug spread to actual franchises

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2321470/Deep_Rock_Galactic_Survivor/

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

HopperUK posted:

I laughed. I cried. I made it to level 8 on my short lunch break.

It's a decent game. I'm sensing some sort of 'back rooms' kind of horror building, but I'm not sure. The graphics are... well, Unity. The directions could be a bit more expressive. I'm not good at wayfinding, and the concepts of marking structures and already discovered areas is not entirely clear. However, I got the hang of it in short order.

Level 6 or 7 I was able to get on top of trees, which was weird, but fun. Didn't really offer any advantage.

Brocktoon posted:

I know there are few small issues with it on Deck right now that he's trying to sort out. He has a discussion thread for bugs and I am sure he would appreciate any feedback you have.
I didn't see anything glaring. Runs great. I pinned it to 40fps and 8tdp and I was looking at about 3 hours of battery life. Aiming for towers when you have limited visibility is a little frustrating, but you can adjust your self and not lose your mark.

One thing I did notice is that if I uncovered an area on the map, and that area had a covered tower that I hadn't seen, it would automatically be marked as seen and plotted. This made it easy in level 7 to complete.

Edit: Here's what I mean. The tower on the other side of that wall was marked and plotted when I revealed the area around me.

unruly fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 1, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

it was only a matter of time before the vampire survivors bug spread to actual franchises

:haw:

I'm insanely excited for this, just saw the post in the DRG thread while alt tabbing during my Deep Dive loading screen :toot:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

unruly posted:

One thing I did notice is that if I uncovered an area on the map, and that area had a covered tower that I hadn't seen, it would automatically be marked as seen and plotted. This made it easy in level 7 to complete.

Edit: Here's what I mean. The tower on the other side of that wall was marked and plotted when I revealed the area around me.

If I remember correctly from when I played the beta, this is entirely intentional. Uncovering towers through walls like that is a gameplay feature, and level 7 is teaching you that it is possible.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

explosivo posted:

Same, it's quite good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble bundle for Turkey & Syria earthquake relief: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/turkiye-syria-earthquake-relief-bundle

$35 for:

Gotham Knights
Ghostrunner
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Starfinder core rulebook and Junker's Delight
Payday 2
Ticket to Ride
Euro Truck Simulator 2
System Shock 1 (enhanced, not remake) & 2
CrisTales
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
Strange Brigade
Into the Pit
Mount & Blade: Warband
Backbone
Armello
Harmony's Odyssey
Flynn: Son of Crimson
X-Morph Complete Pack
Monaco
Little Orpheus
Death Squared
Calico
The Inner World
Planet TD
Lust from Beyond
The Amazing American Circus
Hack N Slash
Remnants of Naezith
Firegirl: Hack n Splash Rescue DX
XEL
Hyper Gunsport
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
Space Crew: Legendary Edition
911 Operator, and 112 Operator
Detached (non-VR edition)
The Inner World
Arcade Spirits
Mirrormoon EP
Cosmic Express
Cats and the Other Lives
Stacking
Soulblight
Rym9000
Quadrata
Stikir
Soulflow
Pixross
Frick Inc
Sunlight
Symmetry
Orbital Racer
Soul Searching
Doughlings
Guns & Fishes
Alchemist's Castle
Non-Stop Raiders
Meow Express
Worms Rumble
Pilgrims
Farming Simulator 17
Stick Fight
Zombie Driver HD Collection
Agent in Depth

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

Humble bundle for Turkey & Syria earthquake relief: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/turkiye-syria-earthquake-relief-bundle

$35 for:

I believe it is $30 USD, or at least, I see "Pay at least $30 for these 72 items"

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Flair posted:

I believe it is $30 USD, or at least, I see "Pay at least $30 for these 72 items"

Yeah, $35 is the recommended price.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I played it through and got all the achievements, it took about 4.5 hours.

The game introduced its mechanics well, the puzzles never got really challenging, the only times I got stumped where when I forgot the mechanic from Unruly's post, but it was a good chill time.

The only bug I encountered was a few issues with the menu which the dev already seems to be aware of, though I played on a windows 10 computer, not 11 or a steam deck. I did beat level 27 in a way that might not have been intended

I really liked the gimmick of level 29, That and the big maze level were the only levels I had to really map the levels to solve.

The fact that the map has the level outline from the start and that the entire level is open to the sky made most of the secrets easy to find.

For anyone else who beats it: Did you find any use for the landmarks on top of all the levels? Also like Unruly I did wonder if walking on the walls or trees would become a mechanic after one of the secrets called it out but it never seemed to be, though maybe you could skip things with it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The 7th Guest posted:

$35 for:

Gotham Knights
Ghostrunner
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Starfinder core rulebook and Junker's Delight
Payday 2
Ticket to Ride
Euro Truck Simulator 2
System Shock 1 (enhanced, not remake) & 2
CrisTales
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
Strange Brigade
Into the Pit
Mount & Blade: Warband
Backbone
Armello
Harmony's Odyssey
Flynn: Son of Crimson
X-Morph Complete Pack
Monaco
Little Orpheus
Death Squared
Calico
The Inner World
Planet TD
Lust from Beyond
The Amazing American Circus
Hack N Slash
Remnants of Naezith
Firegirl: Hack n Splash Rescue DX
XEL
Hyper Gunsport
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
Space Crew: Legendary Edition
911 Operator, and 112 Operator
Detached (non-VR edition)
The Inner World
Arcade Spirits
Mirrormoon EP
Cosmic Express
Cats and the Other Lives
Stacking
Soulblight
Rym9000
Quadrata
Stikir
Soulflow
Pixross
Frick Inc
Sunlight
Symmetry
Orbital Racer
Soul Searching
Doughlings
Guns & Fishes
Alchemist's Castle
Non-Stop Raiders
Meow Express
Worms Rumble
Pilgrims
Farming Simulator 17
Stick Fight
Zombie Driver HD Collection
Agent in Depth

That's a very good deal and a very good cause

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The 7th Guest posted:

Whoa now! This has massive potential

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm like forty hours into Tyranny and I only now realized you buy all your spell stuff from merchants. I kept occasionally finding them in treasure and figured that was the natural progression of spell components, but I'm real far into the game now and my magic is real fuckin pitiful and mostly useless

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Happy slightly belated birthday to Brocktoon!

Now following up from earlier...

Jossar posted:

I should probably spend most of March until the next big sale happens actually trying to clear demos/backlog if I'm not going to buy things and just screw around anyway.

Well, might as well give this a formal go. Until the Steam Sale (March 16th), I can only play demos that I'm just finishing up from this cycle or games already in my library that I haven't touched yet/haven't touched since at least last year. Will edit throughout for each day, though if I just get readdicted to something I'll just keep playing that instead of committing to constantly cycling through everything.

Spring (Sale) Cleaning - March 1st

DEMO - A sort of crosspost from the 4X thread, Hexarchy is Civilization: The Deckbuilder. I can sort of see the appeal in trying to limit the action economy through cards/a mana system, but in practice it didn't really feel too much different and just felt like a watered down version of one of the more recent Civ games. Couldn't hurt to try out though.

DEMO - I really want to like Sailing Era, which was recommended to me as the Uncharted Waters-esque game that I should play instead of Origins. And although the overworld's a little empty, it does seem to be a mostly very good UW game revolving around trade and exploration. But when you're forced to interact with the combat systems, they're absolutely terrible. If you're the sort of player who's okay with never touching part of a game, then what's good will occupy you for dozens of hours, but I always at least hope to try and go for full mastery even if I inevitably end up wandering away and this is kind of making me have second thoughts about whether to grab the full thing.

PREVIOUSLY NEVER PLAYED - Waves (and by extension its incomplete sequel, Waves 2) is a twin-stick arcade shooter with bombs and slow motion. It didn't particularly click with me, but it's a perfectly serviceable specimen of its genre. Both the game and its sequel are free, having been released per the developer's wishes after his unfortunate passing from cancer.

PREVIOUSLY PLAYED - HOARD is an action game where you take the role of a dragon, and over the course of 10 minutes set fire to the countryside and loot it for treasure... or try to more strategically arrange for big paydays or tribute from nearby towns while protecting your income sources from other dragons. It's very clever for what it is, but it's also barebones enough (especially without a reliable multiplayer scene) that you get bored of it fairly quickly. It's the sort of game I break out of the Hidden section of my library once every few years to have fun and then after about ten minutes remember why I dumped it there in the first place. Worth picking up for $4.99 though.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 2, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

credburn posted:

I'm like forty hours into Tyranny and I only now realized you buy all your spell stuff from merchants. I kept occasionally finding them in treasure and figured that was the natural progression of spell components, but I'm real far into the game now and my magic is real fuckin pitiful and mostly useless

that sucks because being able to break the game by getting creative with magic is one of the appeals of it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

pentyne posted:

that sucks because being able to break the game by getting creative with magic is one of the appeals of it

Am I alone in not really ever visiting merchants in RPGs anymore? I never even thought about it; you don't get the cool weapons, the legendary weapons with awesome effects from merchants; you find those in dungeons! I only ever think to go to merchants now to stock up on healing potions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

credburn posted:

Am I alone in not really ever visiting merchants in RPGs anymore? I never even thought about it; you don't get the cool weapons, the legendary weapons with awesome effects from merchants; you find those in dungeons! I only ever think to go to merchants now to stock up on healing potions.

Sign of the times; I think a lot of modern titles are much better about this, with vendors having real offerings and forcing you to make hard choices. Which is a hell of a lot better than things used to be.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They're starting to realize that the Adventurer Mart in Baldur's Gate 2 is what the best kind of shop should be in RPGs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

They're starting to realize that the Adventurer Mart in Baldur's Gate 2 is what the best kind of shop should be in RPGs.

In Wrath of the Righteous there's a vendor in Act 4 that has the best equipment in the game for most of the slots, to the point where you'd be wanting to grind coin all the way up to that point in order to afford a few pieces they have.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I hadn't paid attention but Wo Long seems awesome. I love the showier wuxia combat, proper character generation, and the demo already supports ultrawide (afaik Elden still doesn't without mods that break online play boo).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

I hadn't paid attention but Wo Long seems awesome. I love the showier wuxia combat, proper character generation, and the demo already supports ultrawide (afaik Elden still doesn't without mods that break online play boo).

it's so good. absolutely :stoked: for this weekend.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah i finally got around to trying that demo, and other than having to resolve some wacky framerate issue (:pcgaming:) i had a lot more fun with it than my recent attempts at picking up Nioh 2 again have been

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I might've spoken too soon, and this game may be too hard for me (like Nioh). Even using CE speed hack so I could pull off the parries perfectly I still could not defeat the first boss general of man. I could get through phase 1 but phase 2 was brutal. I just wanna screw around being a kung fu bad rear end I'm too old to get good.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It's a bit of a wall - the rest of the demo is much easier. My biggest problem was the sheer amount of health he has, combined with the fact you only have three charges on your heal at that point. In that sense it's kind of like that boss in Nioh where you're inside the ship - that was super early on but I had to retry that way more than anything else in both games.

The main thing on the second form for me was to try getting a bit further out and trying to tease out that throw attack because a good parry on that will do a lot and he's got basically two red attacks when you're very close which can be hard to tell apart. Remember that you can still hold block while attacking and parrying which can help cover minor timing mistakes as well.

It's one of those bosses where if you beat it once you'll feel like you can beat it 100% of the time, it's just getting used to it. The remainder of the demo is a breeze in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you only have to get partways into phase 2 and then you can auto win by using your divine beast. The prompt to do this when you get to that point could probably be more obvious.