Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ugh I just saw that there's starting to be preorders going up for a late 2023 reprint of Vol2 of the Absolute Transmetropolitan collection, so I went off to see if that might finally be reprinting the rare-as-hens-teeth Vol3; absolutely nothing that I can find :mad:

If they're reprinting Vol. 2, it probably means they'll do Vol. 3, but if Vol. 2 is still late 2023, don't expect to hear anything until later in the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Endless Mike posted:

If they're reprinting Vol. 2, it probably means they'll do Vol. 3, but if Vol. 2 is still late 2023, don't expect to hear anything until later in the year.

I would hope so, but I did see this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/graphicnovels/comments/up0x1x/absolute_transmetropolitan_reprint_halp_doods/

quote:

verd_nt 3 points 9 months ago
No reprints. The last two reprint cycles didn’t reprint vol 3, and there were not many vol 3 in the original printing. Being a Warren Ellis book adds to the complexity a bit yet too. We’ve needed vol 3 for years.

Which if true is not great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FINALLY!!!!!

https://twitter.com/JoeMadx/status/1630671118364180480?s=20

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo. god knowing all of you,i'm ready for the world to end.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don’t look forward to #11. Issue 10 is releasing the week before Final Fantasy 16.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Life is beautiful.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

It's a cold day in hell.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If you've been waiting for a deal to get caught up on Saga, 10 volumes of it are available in this Humble Bundle for Turkey/Syria earthquake relief:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/turkiye-syria-earthquake-relief-bundle

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Someone's been posting a bunch of Spawn comics in chronological order over on /co/ and so for the first time I've been properly sitting down and reading them and yeah now I'm definitely starting to see why for a while it was one of the big books in the industry, the writing and dialogue are mostly average but the art is fantastic(particularly when compared to some of the other Image published comics of the time*) and so far these have been surprisingly enjoyable and even breezy comics to read in spite of all the 90's edge they're slathered with

*so far besides the first 10 issues of Spawn I've also read through an issue each of Dark Hawk and Young Blood as part of this and both are way worse than Spawn in basically every respect(though Bad Rock's whole shtick of "average teenager who also happens to be a super powered giant rock person" is a fun one)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh man, I just got the King Spawn and Gunslinger Spawn trades at the Barnes and Noble Image sale, and it has me hankering to get back into Spawn. While I was checking out, I swear to god, the guy at the register said "oh wow, Spawn, I didn't know we had Spawn"

It's in the air, the people cry out for Spawn

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Someone's been posting a bunch of Spawn comics in chronological order over on /co/ and so for the first time I've been properly sitting down and reading them and yeah now I'm definitely starting to see why for a while it was one of the big books in the industry, the writing and dialogue are mostly average but the art is fantastic(particularly when compared to some of the other Image published comics of the time*) and so far these have been surprisingly enjoyable and even breezy comics to read in spite of all the 90's edge they're slathered with

*so far besides the first 10 issues of Spawn I've also read through an issue each of Dark Hawk and Young Blood as part of this and both are way worse than Spawn in basically every respect(though Bad Rock's whole shtick of "average teenager who also happens to be a super powered giant rock person" is a fun one)

Shadowhawk? Shadowhawk was an original Image book from Jim Valentino from 1992. Darkhawk came out around the same time from Marvel and was also super-generic.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think Darkhawk had a really slick look-- Mike Manley did some fine work on the initial design. Fingeroth wasn't really asleep at the job either, but it's a weirdly anodyne series. It made sense to me when I learned that the character was basically DeFalco's baby-- Fingeroth was just pulling a paycheck I think.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Shadowhawk? Shadowhawk was an original Image book from Jim Valentino from 1992. Darkhawk came out around the same time from Marvel and was also super-generic.

Yeah meant Shadowhawk, also while Spawn hasn't done much direct hero stuff so far, him being protective of the homeless people of the alley he hangs around in does a great amount of humanizing for a literal hellspawn

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I only read the first few trades before losing interest but the homeless angle was what I liked most too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

. Darkhawk came out around the same time from Marvel and was also super-generic.

i will loving cut you

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I had a nightmare where I was looking at my bookshelf (I did a lot of book re-arranging last night so that was only natural) and I kept finding more and more volumes of Cerebus. Like, dozens and dozens.

e: Darkhawk was one of the 90s capeless batmen, right?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I had a nightmare where I was looking at my bookshelf (I did a lot of book re-arranging last night so that was only natural) and I kept finding more and more volumes of Cerebus. Like, dozens and dozens.

e: Darkhawk was one of the 90s capeless batmen, right?

How dare you, they're nowhere near the same!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Medullah posted:

How dare you, they're nowhere near the same!

I guess Daredevil isn't Batman with a spiked belt then, either?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I guess Daredevil isn't Batman with a spiked belt then, either?

Of course not, Daredevil is blind as a.......crap

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

site fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 3, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Medullah posted:

Of course not, Daredevil is blind as a.......crap

No I meant Daredevil.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No I meant Daredevil.

I'm still kind of amazed Marvel hasn't used that version for anything considering he's A) public domain so they don't have to pay anyone and B) they own the trademark for the Daredevil name

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I'm still kind of amazed Marvel hasn't used that version for anything considering he's A) public domain so they don't have to pay anyone and B) they own the trademark for the Daredevil name

He's too cool for Marvel.

Also I think even Marvel will tend to abide by "sero venientibus ossa" in cases of resurrecting PD characters.

e: Also, do they actually "own the trademark for the Daredevil name"? It's a generic phrase (not that I'd imagine that matters as a rule in the US).
ee: Checked the trademark registry and yes, they do. (I forgot there's actual useful websites on the https://www.)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 3, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: Also, do they actually "own the trademark for the Daredevil name"? It's a generic phrase (not that I'd imagine that matters as a rule in the US).
ee: Checked the trademark registry and yes, they do. (I forgot there's actual useful websites on the https://www.)

It's not a US thing, common words are trademarked in specific contexts everywhere. Apple is an easy example because there are two different companies called that coming from two different countries and they've fought over the trademark in the past.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think I might actually be excited about a new Bendis book for the first time in a long time.

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1632800247872389121?t=pegh44fzRnIeQrHeOKWFSA&s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah actually i'd like to read that

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
And that type of story telling is Bendis at his best, even putting aside how interested I am in the subject matter (very!)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

It's a cold day in hell.
Would have been out in 2020 but, well, FF7 Remake happened and then the Yuffi expansion and...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/jenskstyve/status/1633520527720554536?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

Oof

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah, that version of The Incal is kind of infamous for that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They'd remove the rasters and add gradients to Lichtenstein paintings if they could.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They'd remove the rasters and add gradients to Lichtenstein paintings if they could.

Lichtenstein deserves it, the thieving bastard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DigitalRaven posted:

Lichtenstein deserves it, the thieving bastard.

OK Valérie.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK Valérie.

Says someone who's clearly never heard of Russ Heath or Tony Abruzzo or Jack Kirby or Joe Kubert or Mike Sekowski or any of the other actual artists whose work Lichtenstein badly traced and never credited. He's worse than Greg Land.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DigitalRaven posted:

Says someone who's clearly never heard of Russ Heath or Tony Abruzzo or Jack Kirby or Joe Kubert or Mike Sekowski or any of the other actual artists whose work Lichtenstein badly traced and never credited. He's worse than Greg Land.

:rolleyes:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

No, Digital Raven is right.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I hate when new editions of old material get recolored. They're always dogshit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What's your objection to that point?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Vincent posted:

I hate when new editions of old material get recolored. They're always dogshit.

It sucks because the coloring technology at the time the classics were done was legitimately dogshit. I think my Watchmen release just has some backgrounds touched up to not be all yellow, but still match the pallet of the rest of the comic, and that's not too distracting.
But at the same time, the artist (generally) chose the colors they chose, and that should be respected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

StumblyWumbly posted:

It sucks because the coloring technology at the time the classics were done was legitimately dogshit. I think my Watchmen release just has some backgrounds touched up to not be all yellow, but still match the pallet of the rest of the comic, and that's not too distracting.
But at the same time, the artist (generally) chose the colors they chose, and that should be respected.

Yeah, they recolored the first dozen or so issues of Sandman for the Absolutes (and probably use that for everything, now) and it was just taking the original work and cleaning it up.

Casanova is interesting to me. It was originally done in black and white and one color and they "colored" the issues for the collections. They kinda kept the same feel and tone, but added highlights.

The one that annoys me is Flex Mentallo. Sucked all of the color out of it, but I guess that's what Frank Quitely wanted. :shrug:

Edit: also, I've been buying my nieces the colored Bone, but I only read my B&W versions. :colbert:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 14, 2023