Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

General Battuta posted:

What's the explanation

the black heart was the vex trying to copy the veil. what is the veil? tbd!

it aint much but someone got to cross out the last "what the gently caress was going on in destiny 1" todo probably

(there may be more to this i haven't finished the exotic quest yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve watched a lot of Byf videos and this is the most negative one ever. By a long shot lol

Sign of the times.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

What sucks about the final battle is that it's just exodus crash

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Nah when he sighed and was like "let's get this drudgery over with" after The Witness talked to him he really meant "Goddamn I can't believe I have to wear this now"

no!!!!! no!!!! nO!!!!!!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I can't wait until a week from now or whatever when everyone else forgets the campaign exists and can go back to bitching about crucible or whatever

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I mean, so far season of defiance is really good. Funny how that happened.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

yeah the seasonal content is really strong. Whoever was saying that the season and the expansion should've been swapped might've been right lmao

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Agreed, I’m hoping this year also follows the Beyond Light pattern of a lame-ish campaign and 3/4 if not 4/4 seasons being absolute bangers.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

if season of the deep is a rhulk thing like I theorize then I will hoot and holler for my boy

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

my opinion of the DLC:

pros:
* is kind of hard and most of the time in a fair way
* the new subclass __the way is presented__ is very fun and a new way to play destiny
* I like the tone of the nimbus dudes (everyone seems to hate this, but I find it correct and good)

cons:
* I don't think Bungie does urban landscape in a interesting way, everything end looking like a spaceship space monks landed in a planet, then abandoned
* No central visual theme to look forward, a central something that is imposing and cool in the horizont. Skybox are meh this time. A first in Destiny.
* I had to play with a huge light difference, and it was not fun at places. Tiring even. Unfair at places. With checkpoints that made repeat long sections. I hated some of the missions design. The vehicle section was ridiculous with light unbalance and crappy.
* Strangelly quiet season content, not much buildup to it. I guess everyone is tired of seasonl content so is mostly there. To farm.
* Uninteresting city that seems empty and devoid of interest, like something generated by Midjourney. Awesome but hollow.

This is about the worst expansion since Destiny 1, but is still fun to play.

The new subclass was a opportunity to change how people play Destiny, but Bungie are cowards and they stoped before greatness, retreating from the idea of giving people a different way to play. Booo!

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
This city sucks. This is what the decendents of the Ishtar Collective spent a 1,000 years building? It's a bunch of indistinct blue-grey rectangles and giant HVAC components.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Calus getting a Hero Ship instead of a Pyramid really kills the whole unform final shape vibe of the black fleet. Even the Witness doesnt' have a uninque ship.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

arsenicCatnip posted:

yeah the seasonal content is really strong. Whoever was saying that the season and the expansion should've been swapped might've been right lmao

tbf, i think expansion is the way harder job because of the expectation that you have some kind of fulfilling campaign, a thing they have only managed in... three of the eight base games or expansions they've put out? and two of those were using activision resources (no way forsaken is as big as it is without high moon lol)

i think the idea of trying to invent a new setting here that does look pretty different from anywhere else (i guess season of the splicer + titan arcology if you want to be really reductive, but i think this does a lot more than that) was a good idea when the last two games were re-hashings of existing settings (i love the witch queen but i do not give a poo poo about the throne world, if that makes sense?)

otoh saying "ok, gently caress all that new stuff, let's tell a quiet story with existing characters" is much less pressure and lets all the good parts of the writing shine

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

I swear to God if there is some punch line about how they mean ten Neptunian years.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

also i think this is the best cityscape theyve done in destiny which is such a loving low bar to clear it might as well be buried

will never get over riis reborn, the huge reclaimed city of the house of salvation, appearing in beyond light as like five corridors that you run through in different directions

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

abraham linksys posted:

the black heart was the vex trying to copy the veil. what is the veil? tbd!

it aint much but someone got to cross out the last "what the gently caress was going on in destiny 1" todo probably

(there may be more to this i haven't finished the exotic quest yet)

Okay. Huh, well, aight.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Okay. Huh, well, aight.

Well that's reassuring.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

abraham linksys posted:

tbf, i think expansion is the way harder job because of the expectation that you have some kind of fulfilling campaign, a thing they have only managed in... three of the eight base games or expansions they've put out? and two of those were using activision resources (no way forsaken is as big as it is without high moon lol)

i think the idea of trying to invent a new setting here that does look pretty different from anywhere else (i guess season of the splicer + titan arcology if you want to be really reductive, but i think this does a lot more than that) was a good idea when the last two games were re-hashings of existing settings (i love the witch queen but i do not give a poo poo about the throne world, if that makes sense?)

otoh saying "ok, gently caress all that new stuff, let's tell a quiet story with existing characters" is much less pressure and lets all the good parts of the writing shine

that's very fair. Honestly I'm enjoying the campaign so far, I don't need the veil or witness watchamacallit explained right away, I'm content just doming caballers and swinging around. Just wish strand was actually unlocked during the campaign cause so far it seems exactly like what they did with Stasis

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I did the mission (Highfall? I don't remember the name lol) where you fight a boss in a giant blender room at a 50 light deficit and it was the most unfun crap ever. Had to try like 6 times...Why is there such a huge Light gulf out of nowhere.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I did the mission (Highfall? I don't remember the name lol) where you fight a boss in a giant blender room at a 50 light deficit and it was the most unfun crap ever. Had to try like 6 times...Why is there such a huge Light gulf out of nowhere.

it's weiiird. They definitely expect you to gently caress off and do other stuff at certain points to make up the LL difference. At least the battlegrounds are fun

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I appreciate the spoiler tags but let's be honest... You can't spoil anything regarding the Veil lol

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

arsenicCatnip posted:

it's weiiird. They definitely expect you to gently caress off and do other stuff at certain points to make up the LL difference. At least the battlegrounds are fun

every one of these campaigns has had a "go grind" step, and this one has side quests and the main quest has a giant tooltip saying "you're underleveled, have you gone and done the sidequest yet?"

the problem is the sidequest probably should guarantee more stuff since what it ends up being is just picking up world drops which will probably get you close to level but not necessarily

i was never more than 20-below when doing story missions and it was fine on solo normal tho

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I appreciate the spoiler tags but let's be honest... You can't spoil anything regarding the Veil lol

i do genuinely think the black heart tie-in is a neat surprise and i kinda wish i hadn't been spoiled on it (my fault for reading item lore) but also it is entirely fair to "spoil" "this campaign will not tell you what the veil is, no, you did not miss an important story detail" to set expectations lol

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I hate when they retcon things just because. The vex resorted to worshipping the black heart because it was so advanced even they couldn't understand it. Now they created it?

I'm going to play Destiny till the bitter end because I've been invested in its world since D1 beta, but it is going ever so far from the original vision

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

abraham linksys posted:

every one of these campaigns has had a "go grind" step, and this one has side quests and the main quest has a giant tooltip saying "you're underleveled, have you gone and done the sidequest yet?"

maybe I'm just blanking but I don't remember anything like that in Witch Queen

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Fail

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
That BYF video is funny as hell, he’s PISSED

any of you guys gonna try and ask him why he doesn’t like destiny.?

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

you're a loving maniac if you think I'm engaging with a destiny youtuber

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

arsenicCatnip posted:

you're a loving maniac if you think I'm engaging with a destiny youtuber

I think if the guy who does all the lore videos is saying “what the gently caress, this is ridiculous and I can’t even understand it” about the story and plot…that’s a huge problem lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang is there really only one Neomuna/expansion strike?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

sunday at work posted:

This city sucks. This is what the decendents of the Ishtar Collective spent a 1,000 years building? It's a bunch of indistinct blue-grey rectangles and giant HVAC components.

More like 500ish years, and with very limited resources.

The backstory of Neomuna got partly explained in lore entries for gear from Spire of the Watcher, last season. I don't blame anyone who missed it. We're back in the dark ages of Grimoire entries, it seems.

Braytech had a joint project with the Ishtar Collective called ECHO -- build colony ships for deep space travel and colonization, using a Rasputin submind (Soteria) connected to a captive Vex mind (Augermind) to run simulations of deep space travel. While it's running those simulations, Soteria notices the Black Fleet heading towards Sol and tips off Rasputin. Rasputin agrees, and allows that submind to get colonists/supplies onto the ECHO ships as part of a "training exercise," and then forcibly launches them, one of which made it to Neptune. The rest of the ships are remotely killed by Clovis, which is why Ishtar Collective stops working with Braytech.

It's implied that a copy of Soteria is also running Hierarchy of Needs.

This is why all Neomuna interiors look like DSC or Seraph Station -- it's cobbled together from Braytech. They crash-landed on Neptune right as the Darkness was arriving, laid low, and then have built this all from a single colony ship.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Headlong owns, easily the best mission in the campaign. Are the people complaining on legendary or something? It's fun as hell on normal

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i haven't done the last mission yet but so far none of the legendary missions have been as hard as that one witch queen mission where you have to unlock a bridge

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
the lightfall story would be okay if Bungie cut literally everything after the opening cinematic through the beginning of the ending cinematic lmao

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Zokari posted:

i haven't done the last mission yet but so far none of the legendary missions have been as hard as that one witch queen mission where you have to unlock a bridge

that one broke me, I had to LFG a team when I had happily gone solo up to that point.

I think that one was ridiculous for similar issues I faced in Downfall; it's designed to be done with multiple players, so people can do objectives while others do adclear. When you're doing it solo you have to juggle it all.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

How did the people on Neptune survive the Darkness when literally nothing else with the equivalent level of technology did, bar some scattered survivors on Earth who have only survived as long as they have under the protection of the Traveller and its Guardians?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zokari posted:

The WQ mission that almost broke me was the boss by Sagira’s shell. gently caress that room / encounter.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

BastardySkull posted:

How did the people on Neptune survive the Darkness when literally nothing else with the equivalent level of technology did, bar some scattered survivors on Earth who have only survived as long as they have under the protection of the Traveller and its Guardians?

Minded their drat business!

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

We also have a whole other civilisation who only survived the Collapse because they got sucked into a weird singularity created where the Light and Darkness met.

I really liked the Darkness a lot more when it wasn't just the Black Fleet and was clearly some kind of cosmic force, though I guess we don't know for sure that still isn't the case and won't until the next expansion now.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

elpaganoescapa posted:

I hate when they retcon things just because. The vex resorted to worshipping the black heart because it was so advanced even they couldn't understand it. Now they created it?

I'm going to play Destiny till the bitter end because I've been invested in its world since D1 beta, but it is going ever so far from the original vision

the way i see it, as someone who's been playing this thing for a decade and only really guessed at how the sausage is made (outside of some of the articles about the game's early development that have come out):

the original vision of destiny 1 left the building when bungie fired joe staten, and the entire series has been a fascinating study in turning a pile of leftover assets into something resembling a comprehensible, logical universe. i have no idea how stable the creative team has been at bungie is; obviously they work with freelance writers for fleshing out the universe but who could say what kind of lore bible they're working with. i know i'd kill to see that google docs revision history, but i really don't think that in 2014 bungie knew what the black heart was, or, like, what darkness was other than "probably not 'evil' because that's too simple"

BastardySkull posted:

I really liked the Darkness a lot more when it wasn't just the Black Fleet and was clearly some kind of cosmic force, though I guess we don't know for sure that still isn't the case and won't until the next expansion now.

i mean that's more or less the deal, right? black fleet/witness are to darkness as guardians/traveler are to light. darkness is just some vague force-y concept like light is. we'll probably get a very lame definition at some point by or during the final shape (imagining osiris's lectures but worse lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone