Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

Just finished the last season of Hulu Animaniacs, it’s basically more of the same stuff we had in the previous two

Larryb posted:

After watching the How to Train Your Dragon movies and series for the first time recently I decided to check out Nine Realms on Hulu.
Larryb will watch literally anything to avoid finishing Steven Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

Larryb will watch literally anything to avoid finishing Steven Universe

Finished Future about a week ago actually

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 2, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How was the Jurassic Park cartoon?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Wait, they made a Jurassic Park cartoon?

Edit: Apparently so:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_World_Camp_Cretaceous

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 2, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I tried to watch the first couple episodes of it and my takeaways were 1) inGen needs to be sued into oblivion, and 2) there wasn't really much there to incentivize people over 18 to watch it, at least at the start. I've heard it gets weirdly really good, but it was a little too Zoomer for me. Like hardcore cringey Zoomer. And I've never really had that kind of problem with Netflix's other big brand animated fare like He-Man and Carmen Sandiego, but Jurassic Park just irked me for some reason.

Seriously though, the show starts with the main kid winning a trip to Jurassic World by playing and beating a video game that inGen itself made that is basically a PowerPoint presentation on Why Going To Jurassic World/Park Is A Bad Idea That Will Kill You :doh:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I tried to watch the first couple episodes of it and my takeaways were 1) inGen needs to be sued into oblivion, and 2) there wasn't really much there to incentivize people over 18 to watch it, at least at the start. I've heard it gets weirdly really good, but it was a little too Zoomer for me. Like hardcore cringey Zoomer. And I've never really had that kind of problem with Netflix's other big brand animated fare like He-Man and Carmen Sandiego, but Jurassic Park just irked me for some reason.

Seriously though, the show starts with the main kid winning a trip to Jurassic World by playing and beating a video game that inGen itself made that is basically a PowerPoint presentation on Why Going To Jurassic World/Park Is A Bad Idea That Will Kill You :doh:

Speaking of, how was the Netflix Carmen Sandiego show and did it actually get finished or just cancelled?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, how was the Netflix Carmen Sandiego show and did it actually get finished or just cancelled?

Carmen Sandiego was really good, and while it got cancelled, Netflix gave it enough time to wrap everything up in a rushed but still satisfying ending.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I need to see that show, my mom and I loved Gina Rodriguez in Jane The Virgin and while obviously that show and this one will have very different tones and stories she is a very good actress nonetheless.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

Finished Future about a week ago actually

Speaking of SU, it’s impressive how many actors I recognized from other shows I’ve enjoyed. To name a few there’s Joel Hodgson of MST3K fame (who’s actually a better actor than I gave him credit for), AJ Michalka (Catra), and Michaela Dietz (Vee from Owl House, Darryl from Molly McGee)

The way they told the story in piecemeal was interesting as well though I still think the first two episodes should have been switched around (Laser Light Cannon feels like a much better introduction to the characters and setting)

Out of curiosity though, why was this show rated TVPG? I don’t remember anything too terribly objectionable about it

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 2, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It had The Gays!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

It had The Gays!

Ah, of course

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
To be fair I can see a few of the more intense episodes being a bit much for the Y-7 crowd.

E: cartoon action/violence-wise.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

readingatwork posted:

I can see a few of the more intense episodes being a bit much for the Y-7 crowd
🎵I learned to stay true to myself
By watching myself die... 🎵

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM7MCrvJt1M&t=209s

(nothing in the show was too crazy for my 5yo but whatever. "Common Sense Media" rates it a 10+ based on insights like "Steven's dad has a mullet, minimal work ethic, and lives out of his van." but also mostly for fighting)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Cat Fingers warrants a TV-PG rating for body horror.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just love the scene in Future where he finally goes to see a doctor and gets a big reality check with regards to how his body and mind have ACTUALLY been reacting to everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SjpDnYIDro

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

Cat Fingers warrants a TV-PG rating for body horror.

True, the show does do a lot of body horror stuff (also for a show where little to no major antagonists actually die things can get a bit violent at times)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Larryb posted:

True, the show does do a lot of body horror stuff (also for a show where little to no major antagonists actually die things can get a bit violent at times)

I think it's the SAmurai Jack rule. Because they aren't human and don't permanently die, they can get a LOT more messed up than in most shows for the demographic.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I watched one of these Chibiverse episodes and whooo boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmuKrHRoDc

Is there a crossover of people who know who all these characters are and still have plastic baby teletubbies brain that can enjoy/follow it? because I felt my brain turning to soup a little bit

The voiceless "shorts" in particular, I mean. The voiced interstitials are more like a normal cartoon.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The new TMNT movie (done in a Spiderverse-esque animation style) had a brief teaser dropped, with a trailer on Monday:

https://twitter.com/lNKYPAGES/status/1632192155572744192?s=20

And we have a full cast list:

https://twitter.com/TMNTMovie/status/1632191570303930368?s=20

Leo: Nicolas Cantu
Mikey: Shamon Brown Jr.
Donnie: Micah Abbey
Raph: Brady Noon
Splinter: Jackie Chan
April: Ayo Edebiri
Superfly: Ice Cube
Bebop: Seth Rogen
Rocksteady: John Cena
Mondo Gecko: Paul Rudd
Wingnut: Natasia Demetrou
Leatherhead: Rose Byrne
Ray Fillet: Post Malone
Genghis Frog: Hannibal Buress
Cynthia Utrom: Maya Rudolph
Baxter Stockman: Giancarlo Esposito

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Junpei posted:

The new TMNT movie (done in a Spiderverse-esque animation style) had a brief teaser dropped, with a trailer on Monday:

https://twitter.com/lNKYPAGES/status/1632192155572744192?s=20

And we have a full cast list:

https://twitter.com/TMNTMovie/status/1632191570303930368?s=20

Leo: Nicolas Cantu
Mikey: Shamon Brown Jr.
Donnie: Micah Abbey
Raph: Brady Noon
Splinter: Jackie Chan
April: Ayo Edebiri
Superfly: Ice Cube
Bebop: Seth Rogen
Rocksteady: John Cena
Mondo Gecko: Paul Rudd
Leatherhead: Rose Byrne
Ray Fillet: Post Malone
Genghis Frog: Hannibal Buress
Cynthia Utrom: Maya Rudolph
Baxter Stockman: Giancarlo Esposito

It looks like a good list, but I'm not seeing a Shredder. I guess there doesn't have to always be one...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

It looks like a good list, but I'm not seeing a Shredder. I guess there doesn't have to always be one...

Based on the title and cast list I assume this movie is exclusively about mutants (though there’s still an April)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remember hearing that there was plans to continue from this movie into a new TV series, so they might be saving Shredder (possibly Casey as well) for the show version.

Has Post Malone ever done any major acting that wasn't him playing himself as a cameo?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junpei posted:

I remember hearing that there was plans to continue from this movie into a new TV series, so they might be saving Shredder (possibly Casey as well) for the show version.

Has Post Malone ever done any major acting that wasn't him playing himself as a cameo?

You really think Ray loving Fillet is gonna be anything more than a one scene character in a movie that's already loaded to the gills with Leatherhead, Mondo Gecko, Beebo and Rocksteady, Baxter Stockman, and additional trashmob TMNT also ran losers? A quick glance at Wikipedia shows he's been in bit parts in other stuff, which I'm guessing is going to be the case for this movie too. Like how Krondon is in Into The Spider-Verse as Tombstone and only has like five lines despite Tombstone appearing in a whole fuckton of scenes and not talking.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It was just an idle question is all. I fully admit he's probably going to be an also-ran.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The one I'm the most interested in is Rose Byrne as Leatherhead. That's an interesting creative choice and has me more excited than any of the other actors listed, though John Cena as Rockstead is going to be fun as hell especially paired with Seth Rogan as Beebop.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
For me what has me curious is Superfly being separate from Baxter Stockman-for those not in the know, Superfly is usually Baxter's mutant name when he gets turned into a fly mutant. Either it's a simple "different VA for the transformed form" kind of deal, or those two are separate characters now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junpei posted:

For me what has me curious is Superfly being separate from Baxter Stockman-for those not in the know, Superfly is usually Baxter's mutant name when he gets turned into a fly mutant. Either it's a simple "different VA for the transformed form" kind of deal, or those two are separate characters now.

Gotta be two different characters in this version, because if you're going to go from Giancarlo Espisito to Ice Cube post-transformation then you should just stick with Giancarlo because they've both got really similar voice registers. It'd make more sense if like Kevin Hart was a post-transformation Stockman Superfly or something--go from deep and imposing voice as Baxter to high strung and frantic as Superfly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also interesting thing of note, this will be the first incarnation of the Turtles to be voiced by actual teenagers

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I know Nicolas Cantu was Gumball on Amazing World of Gumball, one of these other guys was in that Mighty Ducks reboot/new show on D+, but not much more.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jackie Chan as Splinter might be interesting, but for the most part after Rise went so big and weird and bold with all of its decisions, I don't really care about another return to basics Ninja Turtles.

Then again, I'm not really a movies guy.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Junpei posted:

...Jesk?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Leatherhead is apparently an Australian woman in this version as well

In other news, at least two Scooby Doo projects have been cancelled and yet Velma will continue to live on for another season:

https://twitter.com/CCNCartoonNews/status/1625168869332590595

https://thegamespoof.com/entertainment/hbo-max-has-canceled-the-2024-animated-series-scooby-doo/amp/

Edit: Also a completely unannounced movie called Scooby Doo & Krypto Too has just leaked onto the web in full

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 6, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm onto the Ruthless Ruth episode of Tangled, which is great, and only just realised the wordplay when she first appears. "If you don't listen up and note my words by dawn." Note my words - put my words to music. That's pretty clever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Mutant Mayhem trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DZibCKvZMV0

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think I like the sensibilities of "eternal teenager" Seth Rogen.

I guess it's a new angle to go more for literal children turtles, not particularly interesting though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I like the sensibilities of "eternal teenager" Seth Rogen.

I guess it's a new angle to go more for literal children turtles, not particularly interesting though.

Yeah, like with the last series we just went full over the top and that was cool and the series before that just felt like it hit the perfect middle distance of every iteration of the franchise and current ongoing comic is really good so while I know this is not a property people will let lie fallow I'm not sure what else you can do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

I just love the scene in Future where he finally goes to see a doctor and gets a big reality check with regards to how his body and mind have ACTUALLY been reacting to everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SjpDnYIDro

I need to catch up on that, always wanted to see a scene like that going onto how Gem physiology works from a human perspective and Steven in particular as an unprecedented hybrid.

BioEnchanted posted:

I think it's the SAmurai Jack rule. Because they aren't human and don't permanently die, they can get a LOT more messed up than in most shows for the demographic.

See also: Transformers!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I need to catch up on that, always wanted to see a scene like that going onto how Gem physiology works from a human perspective and Steven in particular as an unprecedented hybrid.

Well, Steven aside gems don't really have physiology as a human would think of it, since they're basically hard light holograms.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aside from some uncredited work on an episode of Amphibia it’s kind of a pity that Rebecca Sugar didn’t really do a whole lot of note after SU

Going back to the topic of shows based on movies for a moment, was The Lion Guard any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
https://twitter.com/steveloter/status/1633386477500649473
right when I caught up with the 6 that were there already