Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

You can get two games of 21 going at once :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/DrSteveElardo/status/1630754321552875521

:ohno:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

When I was in grad school, some local guy kept calling up our office, wanting to schedule times to meet up with us and discuss all his theories about things like HAARP and radar beams being aimed at him to control his behavior and such. He said he could "feel himself vibrating" from then when he was in bed. :tinfoil:

He sounded unhinged enough that we asked the higher-ups to look into having someone officially dissuade him from any further contact. I guess that's not really OSHA related, but it was very weird, and technically we were worried about him showing up and causing an incident at the workplace.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LMAO, so somebody's dad stole some enriched Uranium metal strip (probably a piece of tamper or something) and offered it as a piece of the Roswell UFO.

What an idiot.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do we know that the alien ships were not made of/powered by enriched uranium? Maybe we learned it from them (though I think Roswell was after the Manhattan project).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do we know that the alien ships were not made of/powered by enriched uranium? Maybe we learned it from them (though I think Roswell was after the Manhattan project).

Uranium does make a great radiation shield, but you don't need enriched uranium for that. Not to mention if some alien was using it as fuel, it would be neutron activated.

The bigger concern is that Uranium metal is actually pyrophoric (uranium metal reacts with the air and can produce hydrogen which can then produce uranium hydride if trapped and burst into flame).

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

a spaceship made of load-bearing HEU would indicate that aliens are completely loving insane and/or somehow traveled from the groverdimension

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Jet fuel can't melt enriched uranium beams. :colbert:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

One of my colleagues in the geology department had a pack horse to carry her rock samples around the Cascades and it died of exhaustion/exposure in the middle of nowhere.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

One of my colleagues in the geology department had a pack horse to carry her rock samples around the Cascades and it died of exhaustion/exposure in the middle of nowhere.

God drat it, it's like everyone suddenly forgot mules exist in the mid-20th century.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUP-RXdhYjg

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

When I was in grad school, some local guy kept calling up our office, wanting to schedule times to meet up with us and discuss all his theories about things like HAARP and radar beams being aimed at him to control his behavior and such. He said he could "feel himself vibrating" from then when he was in bed. :tinfoil:

He sounded unhinged enough that we asked the higher-ups to look into having someone officially dissuade him from any further contact. I guess that's not really OSHA related, but it was very weird, and technically we were worried about him showing up and causing an incident at the workplace.

Who was the mentally-unwell former cult member on the forums who created their own really dumb sociological framework (despite having done no reading in the field) and was baffled that professors they emailed never replied back? Learning that last part was funny, because in my experience it's pretty easy to get an email back from random professors (although I wasn't emailing my manifestos)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

LMAO, so somebody's dad stole some enriched Uranium metal strip (probably a piece of tamper or something) and offered it as a piece of the Roswell UFO.

What an idiot.

Unless they did a mass spec (and they didnt) they wouldn't know if it was enriched, and it probably wasn't. Probably someone pocketed depleted uranium that was being machined. Or maybe they took it from the tail ballast from an old 747. Enriched uranium is a security risk, but depleted (or just natural) metallic uranium is just radioactive and very toxic. The NRC likes people to think that all radioactive material is illegal, but the rules are just weird, so idk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slanderer posted:

Unless they did a mass spec (and they didnt) they wouldn't know if it was enriched, and it probably wasn't. Probably someone pocketed depleted uranium that was being machined. Or maybe they took it from the tail ballast from an old 747. Enriched uranium is a security risk, but depleted (or just natural) metallic uranium is just radioactive and very toxic. The NRC likes people to think that all radioactive material is illegal, but the rules are just weird, so idk.

Yeah I mistyped didn't mean to say enriched.: I collect radioactive isotopes and antiques, trust me I'm aware of NRC general license rules.

But give they describe metal foil/sheet, its probably machining tailings like you said.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I'm still annoyed they say that tritium capsule keychains are illegal because they're "toys", but tritium gunsights and compasses are totally fine because ???. Tritium illumination is insanely useful for so many things too (such as attaching them to your tent's zipper pull so you can find it in the dark)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Oof: a tree service crane toppled backward while picking up a tree, and its front end wound up entangled with electrical wires overhead.
https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/morris/news/tree-service-crane-topples-dangles-in-bergen-neighborhood/857639/

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqg1mcWLfO1w5pr9j.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rquriuSAcW1r0uzl6.mp4

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

My lab in grad school worked with nitrogen and light gas guns, and we were very careful with rigorous safety procedures.

This was good, because our lab was inexplicably on the fourth floor of an off campus building otherwise used by the medical school. Our gas guns pointed out the windows, because the only other directions available were "into the hallways" and "into neighboring labs." This is generally considered in our field to be not ideal. We put inch thick polycarb over the windows and didn't worry about it much, because we had momentum traps and catch tanks in between the gas guns and the windows, so the real danger was from a breech failure.

The university safety guy came by and was much more concerned with the gas lines run through the drop ceiling (in case they carried oxygen or other inflammable gasses, which they did not; they were for helium and nitrogen) than the gas guns. We tried to walk him through our engineered safety features and safe firing procedures, but he didn't care. The university didn't have any regulations for gas guns, you see, so as far as he was concerned we were fine.

One day I came into the lab and found him standing on the lab counter, checking something on top our fume hood that was a leftover from when it had been biology lab space, and that we only used as a paint booth for sample prep. He had one foot planted on either side of the tray samples I had prepped and laid out. I was very angry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dumbasses should’ve checked it for radioactivity before cutting it up.

The red flags were all there.

Hadlock posted:

This is... I think the playground for a catholic school in I want to say Colombia but I think it's in Croatia or Spain

That’s the Red Keep’s court.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 2, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

train doesn't even look dented. lmao

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

During the Investigation, trace amounts of THC from a brownie consumed by the conductor 3 weeks earlier while on vacation in Amsterdam are found to be the cause of the accident.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/RyanKBrook/status/1630334078854610946

The narrator was not loving with them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thread favorite genre:

https://twitter.com/RebeccaNShay/status/1631068973159665666

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My coworker's dad has been a manager at our company for like thirty five years so he's got tons of stories about ways people got fired over the years.

Apparently one guy passed out in the line of mechanics all waiting to swipe their badge to clock out at the end of the shift.

The medics cut his clothes open and found him wrapped in a 25' shop air hose he was trying to steal.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 2, 2023

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
getting caught stealing from work, shameful

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The medics cut his clothes open and found him wrapped in a 25' shop air hose he was trying to steal.

Sometimes the hose tries to steal you.

https://twitter.com/TechieSciGuy/status/1630538686780637187

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Slanderer posted:

Who was the mentally-unwell former cult member on the forums who created their own really dumb sociological framework (despite having done no reading in the field) and was baffled that professors they emailed never replied back? Learning that last part was funny, because in my experience it's pretty easy to get an email back from random professors (although I wasn't emailing my manifestos)

Prester Jane? if you want someone who actually remembers you could try asking in the pyf Goon Sagas thread?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I bet that dude is a cop who deals with fentanyl

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

silentsnack posted:

Prester Jane? if you want someone who actually remembers you could try asking in the pyf Goon Sagas thread?

I have bad news regarding the PYF Sagas thread. Or possibly good news, depending on your viewpoint

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cwRXA9YH60&t=464s

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have bad news regarding the PYF Sagas thread. Or possibly good news, depending on your viewpoint

Wait, again?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My coworker's dad has been a manager at our company for like thirty five years so he's got tons of stories about ways people got fired over the years.

Apparently one guy passed out in the line of mechanics all waiting to swipe their badge to clock out at the end of the shift.

Some of the stories I've heard from an old union guy at the post-office of the poo poo they'd get up to in the 70s and 80s were hilariously OSHA-free.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

silentsnack posted:

yeah... about that

turns out closing the only publicly facing forum-wide feedback venue for two months has some slight side effects.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 2, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was helping a lab mate with his masters work one week. We were sampling fish all over Eastern Arkansas, lots of it in farm ditches. This type of sampling used rotenone, a piscicide. We'd block off the sample reach, sprinkle rotenone, scoop out dying fish, and preserve them, and detox the water. Next day, we'd come back and grab all the ones that died and floated up overnight. On one of our second day samples our advisor came out to help. We sloshed around in the ditch (no waders, just wet wading because it was too hot) scooping up fish and started noticing a lot of the fish had these huge necrotic lesions on them, way too much decomposition even for a 24 hour dead fish in the summer in Arkansas.

This is how we all learned that cottonmouths are scavengers. Now we were all raised in the South, grew up playing in ditches, and had been doing this kind of work in these kind of habitats for a while. Snakes are just part of it, you keep your eyes out, don't put your hands where you can't see them, don't linger in place too long. But none of us had ever seen so many cottonmouths until that day. And we all kind of realized about the same time "hey there's kind of a bunch of snakes here." The longer we looked, the more of them popped out. Big ones, little ones, in the water, in the bushes, on the bank. Someone would shout "hey don't walk up the bank this way, there's a snake here" and it would of course be coiled up in a spot we'd all been climbing over on hands and knees. At one point our advisor realized the snakes were all there for the dead and dying fish and had been accumulating en masse overnight. We had to stop the sampling a few times to seine or scoop cottonmouths out of the ditch so we could keep getting the fish. I transferred one particularly big snake across an 8 foot berm into another ditch so we could get on with counting a net full of fish only to turn around a few minutes later to see it coming back up over the berm to get to our fish. They just kept coming, literally dropping into the water from bushes, slithering along at eye level next to us while we pulled seine, all while we were waist deep in water and knee deep in mud down at the bottom of a ditch.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

It's mind numbing when something syncs up with the frame rate of the camera and looks like it stops.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

raggedphoto posted:

Thanks and yeah I think a "shoes in the kitchen" policy is in place now.

My aunt dropped a rotary cutter (think a razor sharp pizza cutter, but for fabric) on her foot and cut a tendon. Despite this, I immediately take off my shoes when I get to sewing class. I justify this to myself by thinking, "Well, MY rotary cutter automatically retracts the blade when I take off pressure, so if I drop it, I'll be fine," but I know in my heart it's basically safety squints.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

One of my friends opened a can and slit his dad's wrist with the lid when he turned around to put it in the sink to rinse it out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, when I heard about it in morning news I was just left wondering "how the hell does that happen, in Europe, in 2023?"

Now the transport minister has resigned and local stationmaster has been arrested.

Gonna chalk this up to a byproduct of years of enforced german austerity.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/4iB03QA.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

He probably needed it to power his air tools so he could put together the Cadillac he smuggled out of his last job.