Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

BizarroAzrael posted:

Cute! Is that handle purely cosmetic? Looks like you wouldn't be able to get your fingers under there.

That is correct, it's just a detail molded into the case. There are a couple of mini-Fenders that do have a functional handle, as well as a Mini 57 Twin that appears to have a leather handle and a cloth-covered case: https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Mini-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar/dp/B0002OP7VQ?th=1 but I snagged the Mini Tonemaster as it was the least expensive at the time I ordered. Looks like the Mini Deluxe is down to almost the same price on Amazon, though.

Thanks for the tip on the string trees, I'll be sure to grab a couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Progress update:
Go the battery box fitted. I just used used part of the control cavity because this is a 1 pick-up 1-volume guitar (I've opted for an EMG 81, because if I'm going to have an active pickup it may as well be the active pick-up)

You can kinda see I hosed up with the chisels and caused a splinter on the right of the box there but you know what, no worries. Nothing modeling paste and sanding can't fix.
Lesson learned here: drill out some holes before you start punching with a chisel perpendicular to the grain

e:
humbucker "route" roughed in now too.

never underestimate what you can achieve with the power of a chisel, a dremel, and modeling paste. (had to use it and bits of the wood I routed out to fill the gap that the pickup ring and bridge won't cover, will need more sanding and layering to get it flush)

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 27, 2023

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

istewart posted:

I'm still in the beginner stages in the Justin Guitar curriculum, so really I need to practice more than I need to buy new gear. One thing that's helped is keeping my fingernails short and being sure to fret chords with just my fingertips - I was fat-finger obstructing open strings in the A chord for a couple weeks, and that was really holding me up. Now I'm starting to feel confident with the D, A, and E chords. Between that and committing to learning left-handed, which I didn't even know was an option when I first attempted to learn 20 years ago, I actually feel like I can make progress! I've got usable practice setups both at home and at work, and the latter I can take with me when I travel, so here's hoping I can really make a go of it this year.

I've just started Justin Guitar too and am also trying the free Zombie Guitar trial as both get good reviews and I don't know which will suit me best.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I’ve been trying to find super simple songs to play and it’s been great to just be able to play something start to finish without getting frustrated by fancy stuff. Bright Eyes is good for it. Couple 3-4 chords songs that are pretty slow.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
anyone here ever refret their gibson/gibson style guitar with bigger frets? I wanna do it with my Aria LPC and maybe my N-225 if I don't sell it

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Lungboy posted:

I've just started Justin Guitar too and am also trying the free Zombie Guitar trial as both get good reviews and I don't know which will suit me best.

Hadn't heard of Zombie Guitar so I checked out the website. The listed titles for the classes sound like an interesting enough way to learn lead guitar and theory and I'm interested in what they look like.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Southern Cassowary posted:

Hadn't heard of Zombie Guitar so I checked out the website. The listed titles for the classes sound like an interesting enough way to learn lead guitar and theory and I'm interested in what they look like.

Same here, please report back some day with your experience on Zombie Guitar, OP.

I've been mostly doing a mix of Justin Guitar and Truefire courses for a little over a year now. I like Justin's approach to teaching techniques and appreciate that he tries to take a more holistic approach to learning the instrument than Truefire courses do, but I also like that Truefire has structured practice videos that are easier/more fun to jump into than digging out a metronome and my notes on what I'm supposed to be practicing.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

E: link is dead. You can watch 3 free lessons on the website.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 28, 2023

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Used Ibanez Artcore on B&H, we were just talking about this kind of thing.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802677887-USE/ibanez_am53tf_am53_artcore_series_hollow_body.html/overview

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I looked at these but I cannot get on board for “Tobacco Burst” I hate that I had to get a sunburst for my artcore, but I can’t do tobacco burst.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

do P90s or maybe even SD or specific P90s feel more like a humbucker, or, say, more like an albino 3 tele pickup??

because i love the P90 sound to death but at this point i feel like i kinda need the dynamics i get out of my JB-- getting more distortion when i dig in. though it's possible that might have something to do with my frets and stuff being shot one year in.

sometimes i'm tempted to try to get a fender JA-90 because i got into jimmy eat world and especially clarity, and realized they're actually a really interesting band.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i think if i got a jazz box i'd get an ibanez ag95. i love the quilted ash and the reddish brown finish, it's stunning.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Getting more distortion when you play harder is just how distortion works. I'm glad you're happy with the output level of the jb, that it's in that happy zone for you with your rig that you get those dynamics.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

landgrabber posted:

do P90s or maybe even SD or specific P90s feel more like a humbucker, or, say, more like an albino 3 tele pickup??

because i love the P90 sound to death but at this point i feel like i kinda need the dynamics i get out of my JB-- getting more distortion when i dig in. though it's possible that might have something to do with my frets and stuff being shot one year in.

sometimes i'm tempted to try to get a fender JA-90 because i got into jimmy eat world and especially clarity, and realized they're actually a really interesting band.

The one in my reverend is crunchy as hell but it also picks up noise with like... any gain. So you've got to be willing to work around that or just get a noiseless Fralin or SD variant or something.

It's the future, no need to be dealing with humming pickups

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

i think if i got a jazz box i'd get an ibanez ag95. i love the quilted ash and the reddish brown finish, it's stunning.

Whoah. That rules.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh also Jimmy rest world is a great band and I saw them live like within the last decade, Jimmy put on a fantastic show but the rest of the band very much didn't want to be there.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

P90s are definitely their own thing. They sound awesome but tend to be REALLY noisy.

I wish you could get your hands on one of these: https://reverb.com/item/65995796-ibanez-az242-sfm-premium-sea-foam-green-matte-2020

I have one in a different finish and it's drat near a perfect guitar. I think you'd really like it. Light, stainless frets that do not wear at ALL, and splittable duncan buckers with believable single coil sounds.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

landgrabber posted:

I love the P90 sound to death but at this point i feel like i kinda need the dynamics i get out of my JB-- getting more distortion when i dig in. though it's possible that might have something to do with my frets and stuff being shot one year in.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Getting more distortion when you play harder is just how distortion works. I'm glad you're happy with the output level of the jb, that it's in that happy zone for you with your rig that you get those dynamics.

Yeah, you're going to get MORE compression from humbuckers than a P90 or single coil, not less.

90s are a very dynamic pickup into the right setup - loud amp right on the edge of driven ideally. They can fall apart a bit at higher gain compared to a super tight modern pickup, but usually in a pleasantly doomy Sabbath way. Live at Leeds is the sickest dynamic clean/driven tone I reference all the time and that's all right hand attack and volume control until he kicks in the Superfuzz.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

darkwasthenight posted:

Yeah, you're going to get MORE compression from humbuckers than a P90 or single coil, not less.

90s are a very dynamic pickup into the right setup - loud amp right on the edge of driven ideally. They can fall apart a bit at higher gain compared to a super tight modern pickup, but usually in a pleasantly doomy Sabbath way. Live at Leeds is the sickest dynamic clean/driven tone I reference all the time and that's all right hand attack and volume control until he kicks in the Superfuzz.

yeah this is the thing with me, and maybe it's very funny because i do not like classic rock and i'm like way into emo and pop punk and stuff, but in terms of dirty guitar tones, i really do not think that 70s kind of sloppy sounding distortion has been beaten. i don't care about any mesas made once 80s metal happened and they tightened it up. same reason i don't really care at all about modern gainy amps -- too tight. i want cool harmonics everywhere, i want notes to bloom

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Triple Recto would like to have a word with you vis a vis tightness.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh also Jimmy rest world is a great band and I saw them live like within the last decade, Jimmy put on a fantastic show but the rest of the band very much didn't want to be there.

yes i've been thinking about this--

it's ridiculous coming from enjoying weezer because they have two classic albums, a bunch of hits from the 2000s, and two or three renaissance albums from the 2010s, plus a wealth of great b-sides and stuff... and they punch the clock so loving hard. NONE of them care. they don't sound great either.

meanwhile jimmy eat world has one of the saddest fates as a band which is that they're going to be in the festival circuit or touring with bands that are younger/more popular than them as coheadliners. but you can look up any video of them playing the middle + the fan favorites at a festival in like 2017 or whatever and they actually give a poo poo and they sound good!! so i respect jim a lot for that.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

landgrabber posted:

yes i've been thinking about this--

it's ridiculous coming from enjoying weezer because they have two classic albums, a bunch of hits from the 2000s, and two or three renaissance albums from the 2010s, plus a wealth of great b-sides and stuff... and they punch the clock so loving hard. NONE of them care. they don't sound great either.

meanwhile jimmy eat world has one of the saddest fates as a band which is that they're going to be in the festival circuit or touring with bands that are younger/more popular than them as coheadliners. but you can look up any video of them playing the middle + the fan favorites at a festival in like 2017 or whatever and they actually give a poo poo and they sound good!! so i respect jim a lot for that.

I’ve seen both fairly recently in concert and weezer was fine but really felt like they were phoning it in, Jimmy ruled their whole set.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i get jimmy eat world and ricky eat acid mixed up

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I've only ever seen 3 bands that really couldn't give a gently caress. Mayhem at Hellfest in 2008, Elastica at Glastonbury in 2000 and the absolute worst was Marilyn Manson at Hellfest in 2009. They were headlining the saturday night and clearly didn't want to be there. The sound was terrible, the playing was terrible, there was zero effort from any of the band and half the crowd hosed off long before they finished.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It might have been a bad night, maybe they all got dumped that day or something. Jimmy himself was giving his everything, just cutting his heart out on that stage. Everyone else played fine but looked absolutely miserable.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just saw Bruce Springsteen on Monday. I've always liked his music even though I know a lot of people aren't fans of the arena rock stuff but I've always thought he was a great song writer.

Honestly he sounded pretty good for his age and how harshly he uses his voice. He sounded like he was sick at first, but as his voice warmed up it got better throughout the night.

The show itself was great I always love watching Max play drums. Nils and Stevie were ... Themselves. Nils played mostly strats, and a beautiful burgundy jazzmaster, I think Nils played a Rickenbacker at one point. Stevie played a wide variety. A mix of strats, a firebird, a few Rickenbackers, a gretsch hollow body. Bruce played three telecasters. A sunburst 60s custom with a white body binding, a transparent white one for maybe a song, and then the mostly used was a really worn transparent butterscotch.

Bruce shredded his pinky on his worn butterscotch telecaster, there was blood pouring off his hand and a blood stain below the bridge saddles which he played got another hour after that. They played more than 2.5 hours. His energy is shocking and the band was tight. A few songs I wish he played weren't on the list but it was one of those "want to see him once before he dies" kind of shows and I'd see him again in a heartbeat. I missed Prince in Chicago a while back. I deeply regret not seeing him live.

I've been on a mission to go back seeing more live shows. I had a long period where I stopped going to concerts for no real reason. Trying to correct that this year.

Verman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 2, 2023

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Weezer is the worst band I've seen live, and I've seen Bob Dylan live before.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm hype as gently caress to see obscura next wednesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAJJATb9Xf0

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I’m seeing Built to Spill in august and am hyped to see that old man noodlin around for an hour

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’m going to see Covet in Madison and it will be my first live show since I saw Interpol in like 2011 that wasn’t like at a fair.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

luchadornado posted:

Weezer is the worst band I've seen live, and I've seen Bob Dylan live before.
fool. take back the dylan shade.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

even if you're an idiot who can't appreciate bob's singing (smh) he has consistently had one of the absolute tightest backing bands for the last 35 years!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I love Dylan, but it's pretty well known that sometimes Bob Dylan just does not give any fucks and will put on horrible shows.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

even if you're an idiot who can't appreciate bob's singing (smh) he has consistently had one of the absolute tightest backing bands for the last 35 years!

Blonde on Blonde and Highway 51 Revisited are awesome records; some of the other stuff is good too. Those two records though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah Dylan is well known as a coin toss when playing live, and when he doesn't want to do it he makes sure you know.

Someone was telling me they saw Dylan twice, one was the best show they're ever seen and the other was the single worst.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also my wife saw Weezer and the flaming lips live in 2011 and we just got into an argument about it because she can't remember going to the show at all and insists it never happened.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Dylan show I saw was dreadful but his band was awesome.

Best performer I've ever seen live though... Regina Spektor. She sounded incredible

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

luchadornado posted:

I love Dylan, but it's pretty well known that sometimes Bob Dylan just does not give any fucks and will put on horrible shows.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah Dylan is well known as a coin toss when playing live, and when he doesn't want to do it he makes sure you know.

Someone was telling me they saw Dylan twice, one was the best show they're ever seen and the other was the single worst.
fair enough, i get what you guys are saying, and its pretty much the conventional wisdom on dylan shows, but honestly i don't totally buy it. most of the criticisms I see levied towards bob's shows usually boils down to him not giving them what they want. that's been the chief complaint going all the way back to his UK tour in 66 (Judas!). honestly, to me that's a huge part of what makes bob so fresh—he's a consummate artist who is always in the process of reinventing and reinterpreting his own works. and i think if bob didn't give a gently caress, then he wouldn't be continuing to tour and write new material at the age of 81. he's a man wholly devoted to his craft; i find it beyond inspirational. All 5 of the shows I've seen from him were homeruns, and I've gotten immense joy from listening to the endless bootleg shows out there too...there's definitely a range of quality, but i've personally never heard a bad concert. i believe he has put on bad shows, i'm sure of it, but I think its outside the norm, not 50/50. and in fact, i'm going to say that some of the most moving performances i've seen from him have been one's that weren't 100% perfect, where he forgets words or mumbles, but words or not the man still knows the songs and what's more, he feels them when he performs.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Blonde on Blonde and Highway 51 Revisited are awesome records; some of the other stuff is good too. Those two records though.
Blonde on Blonde fuckin rules. Its not my all-time favorite of his, but i think it has such a pristine sound to it that from a purely sonic perspective is unmatched in his discog. it sounds like an album wrapped in gold foil. and then the songs themselves, of course...visions of johanna...wow. Have you listened to his newest album, Rough and Rowdy Ways? I think its as good as anything he did in the 60s. also the new remaster of Time out of Mind is balls to the wall good. plus the outtakes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPtkQWneopA

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also my wife saw Weezer and the flaming lips live in 2011 and we just got into an argument about it because she can't remember going to the show at all and insists it never happened.
lol'd at this.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The Dylan show I saw was dreadful but his band was awesome.

Best performer I've ever seen live though... Regina Spektor. She sounded incredible
regina spektor does rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Colin James was the best show I’ve been to this decade. Man has some serious energy on top of being an incredibly soulful bluesman.

Rush R40 was probably the best I’ve ever been to though. Those guys played their hearts out and hearing Losing It live was an absolute treasure.