Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What actually is the Dean Scream? I've heard Dan talk about it, but I've no idea who or what it's referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

tsob posted:

What actually is the Dean Scream? I've heard Dan talk about it, but I've no idea who or what it's referring to.

Howard Dean was a Democratic primary contender early in the 2004 run-up who had a couple of genuinely progressive policy goals, so a lot of people were excited at the time. Then he got kind of over the top at a rally, which somehow got spun into him being Conan the Communist coming to eat borscht out of American skulls.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
He made a funny noise as the punctuation mark of an enthusiastic speech, and in an era of soundbites he got eaten the gently caress alive by late night television and the (still growing) 24 hour news networks. It went viral, in a sense.

Overnight he was a joke.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
I always heard that he was mic’d for TV but not for the live audience, so his “woooooo!” was probably kind of silly but not out of proportion with the volume of the room, whereas it just came across as this piercing, out of context shriek to those watching on TV.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

tsob posted:

Howard Dean was a progressive (by American standards) politician from Vermont who ran an upstart presidential primary campaign and had an actual shot at winning the nomination in 2004. After the Iowa Caucus he gave a speech that ended like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwkNnMrsx7Q
It's hard to believe looking back from 2023, but the media made an entire news cycle out of it and torpedoed his campaign.

Incidentally, I have heard a recording of the room audio instead of his mic, and his volume increase is completely in line with the crowd noise which pretty much drowned out his yell at the end.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Dan will probably talk about it, but there's also some :actually: that he was already starting to struggle and the Dean Scream just happened at the same time to kind of give it a clear marker for the beginning of the end. Sort of like Jeb and "please clap" "it connotes excitement" etc.

But yeah, if you were American and watched any late night show or political commentary/comedy it got played non-stop and they just ate him alive and then it ended up in parodies for a few years.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Some more context for the man. He ran the DNC after the scream

"served as the 79th governor of Vermont from 1991 to 2003 and chair of the Democratic National Committee from 2005 to 2009. Dean was an unsuccessful candidate for the Democratic nomination in the 2004 primary"

Which seems absurd at this point - progressives other than Bernie with any influence in the DNC? Tbf I haven't looked back too deep into how progressive he still seems. He was a pioneer of grassroots fundraising and opposed the Iraq war in a time if intense nationalism... According to Wikipedia

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
https://twitter.com/DJDanarchy/status/1628177247289876480?s=20

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
gently caress me he's a wizard. So beautiful.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
"Famous marx quote"

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Holy poo poo, that reveal at the end

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I wish I could embed this in the background of the thread

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shinji2015 posted:

I do wonder what Dan's neighbours think whenever it happens. They've surely gotten used to it at this point, right? "Is it Wednesday already? Dan must have shown Jordan some conservatives being hypocritical assholes again".

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

:)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah that really threw me, I literally WTF'd out loud. Alex Jones doesn't recognise the significance of 3:16!

I'm a godless Englishman who grew up in a secular house and even I could reel off "For God so loved the world....etc".

And Alex can't do that, amazing.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah that really threw me, I literally WTF'd out loud. Alex Jones doesn't recognise the significance of 3:16!

I'm a godless Englishman who grew up in a secular house and even I could reel off "For God so loved the world....etc".

And Alex can't do that, amazing.

It's loving wild. As you said, it's an extremely well known religious text, and within the context of WWE, Austin 3:16 is one of the most famous lines ever to this day, much less back in 2004 when WWE was still in its cultural zenith. Even if you weren't a WWE fan, you had to be aware of it, and Alex is at this time, what, in his late 20's/early 30's? Man was already incredibly infested with brainworms if he couldn't make either of those connections

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I feel rather strange on this issue. I went to a rather extreme religious school, and I don't recall John 3:16 being bandied about any more or less than other snips of scripture. Or at least it wasn't referred to as "3:16" in this way. I think it was more common to read the words aloud rather than stating the chapter-and-verse and just expecting people to already know.

Granted, I also didn't watch wrestling either. The only channel it came in through couldn't be picked up by my TV's antenna.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Morroque posted:

I feel rather strange on this issue. I went to a rather extreme religious school, and I don't recall John 3:16 being bandied about any more or less than other snips of scripture. Or at least it wasn't referred to as "3:16" in this way. I think it was more common to read the words aloud rather than stating the chapter-and-verse and just expecting people to already know.

Catholic school? I ask because, in my experience, Catholics tend to namedrop less and quote more.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

tracecomplete posted:

Catholic school? I ask because, in my experience, Catholics tend to namedrop less and quote more.

There was a group of folks who would get football tickets in the end zone specifically so they could hold up a "John 3:16" sign. You would see it at every field goal and extra point attempt.

At least that's what I recall about the NFL in the 80s....

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

rich thick and creamy posted:

There was a group of folks who would get football tickets in the end zone specifically so they could hold up a "John 3:16" sign. You would see it at every field goal and extra point attempt.

At least that's what I recall about the NFL in the 80s....

About that guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollen_Stewart

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Well with this crowd it either ends with "My pastor was a cult leader who raped my loved ones, here's how I barely escaped" or they're the ones doing time for cult leader poo poo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've watched zero wrestling in my life and knew Austin 3:16, that was amazing.

I didn't know John offhand but lol at missing the tl;dr of the entire religion.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

Some more context for the man. He ran the DNC after the scream

"served as the 79th governor of Vermont from 1991 to 2003 and chair of the Democratic National Committee from 2005 to 2009. Dean was an unsuccessful candidate for the Democratic nomination in the 2004 primary"

Which seems absurd at this point - progressives other than Bernie with any influence in the DNC? Tbf I haven't looked back too deep into how progressive he still seems. He was a pioneer of grassroots fundraising and opposed the Iraq war in a time if intense nationalism... According to Wikipedia

He's a big anti M4 All and medical.insurance lobbyist now

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I've watched zero wrestling in my life and knew Austin 3:16, that was amazing.

I didn't know John offhand but lol at missing the tl;dr of the entire religion.

Which of course he claims to be a devout follower of. I would have assumed even as lovely a Christian as Alex is would have picked that up by cultural osmosis alone just growing up when and where he did. I'm genuinally amazed.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Deptfordx posted:

Which of course he claims to be a devout follower of. I would have assumed even as lovely a Christian as Alex is would have picked that up by cultural osmosis alone just growing up when and where he did. I'm genuinally amazed.

Indeed. I could not have cared less about sportsball growing up but even I knew John 3:16 was. Could it be that Jones legit drank away large chunks of his long term memory?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It was a past episode, so maybe Alex was less into the 'pretending to be a devout Christian' thing that became more popular in America and just got worse after 9/11 and especially into the late 2000s.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mercury_Storm posted:

It was a past episode, so maybe Alex was less into the 'pretending to be a devout Christian' thing that became more popular in America and just got worse after 9/11 and especially into the late 2000s.

He definitely talks about being Christian/talking to God in the 2003 episodes, but I get the feeling he wanted to distance himself from Bush's evangelicalism, at least publicly. Nowadays all the chuds are off cosplaying Templars so he has to reflect that

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I grew up in a Bible-related religion and memorizing verses, even important ones, was never something we had to do. Religion (and later "Christian Ethics") classes were much more focused on the messages therein.

This is, of course, entirely unrelated to Alex Jones because he definitely doesn't believe (or pretend to believe or whatever) in the sort of religion that would do such reasonable things.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It hasn't gotten any real talk here, but I think it's probably noteworthy that even the other guy on the phone wasn't actually sure of the verse either; they were both fumbling for it, even though the other guy was the one who thought it meant something and probably at least gives lip service to the bible if he's an Alex Jones listener.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I'm still listening to older episodes (589) and Alex is really hammering how the Anglo-Saxon culture is why we have democracy or various good things and in the same breath he brings up King Arthur as I guess the foundation of this Anglo-Saxon culture. I appreciate the guys mentioning that King Arthur is almost certainly a character from fiction, but they missed the biggest dunk by omitting that King Arthur's primary enemy was the invading Anglo-Saxons, being a post-Roman Celtic king of myth.

So Alex is definitely pro Anglo-Saxon invaders and simultaneously pro King Arthur. The only consistency I see is that he was firmly against William the Conqueror many centuries later. We're still missing his take on the Angevin kings of England, the Tudors, the Stuarts, and the Hanoverians, but I believe he is anti house of Windsor.

What I'm saying is that Alex is a royalist, but for the house of Godwin and I'm assuming that he thinks anything after 1066 is illegitimate.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

It because he dumb as poo poo

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Mauser posted:

house of Godwin
That's both a real thing AND a pretty good euphemism!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mauser posted:

King Arthur's primary enemy was the invading Anglo-Saxons, being a post-Roman Celtic king of myth.

So Alex is definitely pro Anglo-Saxon invaders and simultaneously pro King Arthur.

You are forgetting about the shadow war that arthur’s knights and the anglo-saxons were all actually fightinng, the real threat, the lizard people, morgana, and lord viper

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

rotinaj posted:

You are forgetting about the shadow war that arthur’s knights and the anglo-saxons were all actually fightinng, the real threat, the lizard people, morgana, and lord viper

I think that’s an Assassin’s Creed game…

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Tree Dude posted:

I hope Dan has listened ahead to the Dean Scream episode and all this build is worth it

welp... all of you that were rooting for chaos have won this round.

e: also how the gently caress is Alex's audio this bad in 2023? This is worse than any podcast I've ever listened to and I've been listening to those since 2005.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 2, 2023

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Tree Dude posted:

e: also how the gently caress is Alex's audio this bad in 2023? This is worse than any podcast I've ever listened to and I've been listening to those since 2005.

The bankruptcy court sold the good sound mixer and he’s down to a ‘02 Casio keyboard :pray:

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Tree Dude posted:

If you’re referring to the latest kf ep that came up today he’s doing the show by zoom from what looks like a hotel room between bankruptcy court hearings this week.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

I think that’s an Assassin’s Creed game…

Nope it's the Conan cartoon series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Man, the new episode did not pop up in my Overcast feed until this morning. I had hope that there would be a Wednesday episode. I thought there was just not a Wednesday episode. I had so much time yesterday to listen to it…

That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time then. There was, was all the time I needed...

Edit: just started listening and now understand why the show is on today. Still, yesterday, there was time…

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 2, 2023