Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Flanders is actually 60 years old" is from later though right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

dr_rat posted:

If you don't count season 8 or after as in the golden era there's still quite a few. I just checked Season nine and that had the famous Ralph "i'm a banana" and "were in danger" just before there bus crash off a bridge in the the Lord of the flies parody episode

The Ralph "I'm in danger" bit is from 2014, I'm sure that's the latest. Although technically it's from Family Guy, which was doing a crossover episode.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Halisnacks posted:

Not sure if these is one for the meme thread or here, but what is the most recent episode/season to have generated a “Simpsons reference” that people get outside the context of the show?

Probably the old man yells at cloud image from season 13's The Old Man and the Key.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

"Flanders is actually 60 years old" is from later though right?

I always felt like that's one of the weirdly fitting bits, especially when it turns out his parents were beatniks. He's not just uptight and old-fashioned, he's outright old.

Mind you I also kinda headcanon that the literal Flanderisation is a result of him getting more and more into religion to cope with Maude's death.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tenebrais posted:

The Ralph "I'm in danger" bit is from 2014, I'm sure that's the latest. Although technically it's from Family Guy, which was doing a crossover episode.

Haha yeah, never seen the cross-over episode, must of just seen that mentioned online and my brain just decided to put it there. So guess that lines a pretty good answer to the question!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh, counting the movie there's 'worst day of your life so far.'

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

You Are A Elf posted:

The absolute earliest golden-era episode I can think of that feels “off” to me is Lisa’s Rival, and I didn’t come to that conclusion until years after it aired. The subplot with Homer and the sugar definitely feels like something that would happen in season 10+, what with his actions of obtaining and guarding the sugar pile and the entire thing reeking of an unfamiliar wackiness in season 6 that wouldn’t slowly permeate the show until season 9 onward.

It’s not terribly bad, but it definitely doesn’t fit season 6’s humor.

I always think of this episode whenever Jeopardy! has an anagram category. I can't come up with the answers fast enough and feel like the show's gonna hand me a ball.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Mantis42 posted:

it started when they made every episode a musical

YES!

Oh my lord yes.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Homey the Clown is my favorite episode Its good lines back to back.

I also like how amazingly good the show gets before season 2 ends. Like the early seasons arent bad just different.

But its impressive how different and incredibly funny it gets about midday through 2.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

this has probably been said a million times but no simpsons coach gag is 2in context" and this account sucks DICK

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sentient Data posted:

Looks familiar

Counterpoint: This year's Christmas episode is the best episode of the entire series.

(To be fair it appears to be the highest rated on your chart)

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Zeniel posted:

Homey the Clown is my favorite episode Its good lines back to back.

"I'm seein double here; four Krustys!" is my pick for the all time greatest line in the show.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sentient Data posted:

Looks familiar

The dramatic drop-off from a dizzying high of 8 to a terrifying low of 7.3. Maybe it's a logarithmic scale, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Capital Letdown posted:

"I'm seein double here; four Krustys!" is my pick for the all time greatest line in the show.

And while Simpsons episodes usually aren't known for having great endings, that absolutely has an amazing one.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Dead Goon posted:

Bob's Burgers started its decline with Season 5 in my opinion.

Yeah, it went from having low stakes in a fun wacky cartoon world with a giant mechanical shark wrecking the street, getting abducted by a cruise ship, or being shot at by his landlord’s potential girlfriend while tripping on absinthe to just being low stakes and boring. They had a two part Blade Runner episode with long stretches of just Tina walking around a Blade Runner world, yet forgot to include jokes. Louise used to be allowed to be a little bit psycho so they filled down those edges as she’s as dull as the rest.

Capital Letdown posted:

It’s a contender for sure. “Whitey Ford is pleading with the crowd… for some kind of sanity” has such perfect delivery it’s a personal favorite. I also like when Mr. Burns wins the Pontiac Astrowagon and just drives off without Smithers..: where’s he going? Plus it’s never addressed if he rigged the contest or was lucky.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I get to quote "Oh, it's raining again!" every time it rains, so that's my favorite joke.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm not. It's the line from the show I'm most likely to say at any given moment. I just about died laughing when I first heard that line. The delivery is sublime.

oh my bad. i thought you were being sarcasic

Capital Letdown posted:

YES

me and my friends reference that all the time. the entire episode is gold, but that line in particular sticks out. same with the whole bit with homer trying to convince the mafia he was someone else.

other goat simpson joke moments:

- lionel hutz handing the judge a fake verdict
-homer being coached by the fbi in witness protection
-every stan lee line in his cameo
-the steamed hams scene (of course)
-the mickey rooney scene in the radio active man movie

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
one of the best scenes in the show's history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFdEkisu8tQ

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been casually watching through Bob’s Burgers from the beginning since I’ve only ever seen most of the episodes once. While the first few episodes are a little rough, wow the show was much funnier in the first few seasons, which is something I didn’t believe prior to the rewatch. It used to have just the slightest edge to it that gave it a nice balance between wholesome and interesting. But they leaned way too hard into the wholesome aspect and like the other goon said, it’s just much more boring.

The only improvement to me is that they don’t yell constantly like they did in the early seasons.

Something that REALLY bugs me is that now, Bob only ever speaks softly and… like he’s… scared… to… get the… words out. In the earlier seasons he was just your standard H Jon Benjamin character and it worked so much better. Now that I’ve mentioned this you won’t be able to un-notice it in the new episodes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

also, the Praiseland episode overall kinda sucks, but the scene with disco stu and frank sinatra makes it worth it

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Man, season 13 was the peak of sarcastic gen x attitude in terms of non sense plots and "we didn't make a real ending and that's the joke". It is also the season with the Florida/Kid Rock episode.
Still, I prefer that season to the later, boring seasons where they tried to recreate the early seasons (and failing miserably).

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Something that REALLY bugs me is that now, Bob only ever speaks softly and… like he’s… scared… to… get the… words out. In the earlier seasons he was just your standard H Jon Benjamin character and it worked so much better. Now that I’ve mentioned this you won’t be able to un-notice it in the new episodes.

That’s true, also felt like they flattened his characterization from the early seasons. Like there used to be subtle hints Bob may be interested in men, like when he briefly considers responding to the turkey salesman, and that’s long gone as it probably confused the writers.

Was also frustrating how Thanksgiving used to be their big ep and that has steadily declined, the most recent one has them going mini golfing? C’mon have Bob face challenges in prepping the turkey!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mr Interweb posted:

oh my bad. i thought you were being sarcasic

YES

me and my friends reference that all the time. the entire episode is gold, but that line in particular sticks out. same with the whole bit with homer trying to convince the mafia he was someone else.

other goat simpson joke moments:

- lionel hutz handing the judge a fake verdict
-homer being coached by the fbi in witness protection
-every stan lee line in his cameo
-the steamed hams scene (of course)
-the mickey rooney scene in the radio active man movie

"Stan Lee never left" has been a constant quotable among my friends.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bone emulator posted:

Man, season 13 was the peak of sarcastic gen x attitude in terms of non sense plots and "we didn't make a real ending and that's the joke". It is also the season with the Florida/Kid Rock episode.

I often quote “looks like we got a tini Houdini” now that I have a toddler. And I like that easily impressed woman at the diner. But that episode is dire otherwise.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Bob's Burgers worked for me as something to put on while you do the laundry or dishes but even that only lasted a couple episodes before I was just bored, unentertained, and wishing it was Home Movies instead

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
gently caress, I love Home Movies. The peanut butter zebra bit lives in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlsRX0nsgqc&t=295s

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Home Movies is my favorite show of all time

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Same. The prison talk is the bit that stays with me (that and anything involving Walter and Perry). God I loved that show. Always good for a rewatch every couple years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1aHYOyRphE

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zero One posted:

"Stan Lee never left" has been a constant quotable among my friends.

YES

:hfive:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

bone emulator posted:

It is also the season with the Florida/Kid Rock episode.

That was season 11.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Isn't I Am Furious (Yellow) one of the later episodes? It feels like it. Still pretty good. Homer finally going on the Hulk rampage but he's not actually strong enough to do real damage is pretty funny.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

technically it might be more of a rodney dangerfield joke than a simpsons' joke, but i absolutely loved the line from the scene where him homer and mr burns are having dinner

"this party gets any livelier, a funeral's gonna break out"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't I Am Furious (Yellow) one of the later episodes? It feels like it. Still pretty good. Homer finally going on the Hulk rampage but he's not actually strong enough to do real damage is pretty funny.

just checked and shockingly it's from season 13(!) and it wasn't like it was one of the first few episodes either (it was 18th!). some of this stuff's getting really hard to track...

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I still regard “I am Furious (Yellow)” as “new” in my mind but it’s over 20 years old. It probably helps that I stopped watching every new episode not much later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Later' meaning after the golden age, anyway. The rest of the show should rightly be considered mostly homogenous worthless slurry with some remaining chunks.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That was season 11.

The bad episodes are always two seasons before you think they are

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vaguely related, I'll credit one decent joke to chewing the lumps.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Bob's Burgers continues to be good, but I got my fill of it by the time the movie came out and that ended up being a good cap on the series for me. It's not that the show became bad at some point, it's just that I'm not the same person I was a decade ago when I was really into it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From what I've seen of Bob's Burgers, it tends to be very consistent and that's... not the worst thing, but it does mean you can definitely get your fill of it unless you find it really comforting. It's basically a better job at the kinda background noise entertainment that zombie Simpsons is mostly treated as by its viewers.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Calico Heart posted:

this has probably been said a million times but no simpsons coach gag is 2in context" and this account sucks DICK
The context is that the daughter was just kicked out of band class for playing her sax too jazzily. The gag doesn't make sense otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I've got the first season of The Simpsons on right now and I don't know how anyone can think this is bad. Is it as good as the best seasons? Of course not but there are a lot of fantastic jokes that come at a slightly slower pace. But the edge for 1989 network television is amazing. I can only imagine what it was like to see it on TV when it first aired. I was far too young to appreciate it from that angle back in the day. It's great stuff.

The early Tracy Ullman shorts are.. okay. I put those on first and I bet those were more fun in context of that show though instead of just plowing through them all in one sitting.