Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I wish I could turn off encounters. Even with the reduced encounter rate support ability, it's still annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

KonvexKonkav posted:

I'm not very far but Jason Schreier says the writing is greatly improved and the chapters are much more varied in their structure. Also, there's a proper final chapter that ties all the stories together.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1630970010276429824?s=20

Recency bias at work there, Schreier, ya loud-mouth.

Speaking of SNES jRPGs, I wonder how many RS3 stans worked on this game. I'd say it is what Octo 1 and 2 remind me of the most, including the rather uninspiring writing from the first game. It just worked better in 1995 than 2018.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BabyRyoga posted:

Recency bias at work there, Schreier, ya loud-mouth.

Speaking of SNES jRPGs, I wonder how many RS3 stans worked on this game. I'd say it is what Octo 1 and 2 remind me of the most, including the rather uninspiring writing from the first game. It just worked better in 1995 than 2018.

I was also somewhat reminded of Live a Live.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

I was also somewhat reminded of Live a Live.

I'd say it has a touch of the Live a Live feel to it, perhaps in the writing or character design. The style of the sprite work, general flow of story, world map, weapons, etc all feel like they were taken from RS3 directly. Even the music sounds somewhat similar.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Live-A-Live was absolutely a major inspiration to Octopath even if it deviates course pretty heavily. I wanna say the devs have even said as much but I might just be making that up in my head.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
I'm pretty sure you're right, and I think that's why Live-A-Live got a HD-2D style remake.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I played through Live a Live earlier this year and that was actually part of the reason I wanted to pick up OT2 after having not played the first OT. OT2 feels like an entire game built out of the final chapter of LAL, but with less of a focus on gameplay and setting variety.

edit: the other part was TriStrat being my GotY last year, I think as highly of it as Schreier does of this game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
TriStrat owned and this game does too. this has been a good few years for SRPGs

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KonvexKonkav posted:

I'm not very far but Jason Schreier says the writing is greatly improved and the chapters are much more varied in their structure. Also, there's a proper final chapter that ties all the stories together.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1630970010276429824?s=20

considering his review of Octopath 1 was that it was very loose, disconnected, and hard to stay invested in---this is exceptionally high praise and a pretty good standpoint of just how much was improved from the first game

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Live-A-Live was absolutely a major inspiration to Octopath even if it deviates course pretty heavily. I wanna say the devs have even said as much but I might just be making that up in my head.

SaGa Frontier as well. Though in SF's case, there is some overlap of character stories.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Would this be a jump in quality akin to Original Sin 2 from Original Sin 1? There we went from the poor man's Discworld to the successor to Baldur's Gate 2.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This may be old news to most of you, but I just found out that our good buddy Sullla did single character runs of Octopath 1, including a Solo Runelord Tressa run.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Started chapter 2 agnea as my first start, uhhhh he like nearly one-shot my party despite being the same level. I only found inventor without anything else, I'm assuming I'm supposed to explore the world first or something?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tae posted:

Started chapter 2 agnea as my first start, uhhhh he like nearly one-shot my party despite being the same level. I only found inventor without anything else, I'm assuming I'm supposed to explore the world first or something?

You probably need to gear up a little too.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I got OT2 and I've enjoyed the Chapter 1s I've done so far (Cleric start, Thief, now working on Scholar). cool stories

are there dungeons and things that you do in between stories, or are the stories the whole game? I don't really have a grasp of how the game's structured

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Finished Castti's chapter 2 boss after getting wiped twice. Silly me forgetting that my lead character's level isn't necessarily representative of the rest of my party's levels. Was fun though scraping out a win even through racking up 12-15 KOs on the winning attempt.

That fight is pretty tough if you don't bring any multi-hitting characters, underleveled or no!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I got OT2 and I've enjoyed the Chapter 1s I've done so far (Cleric start, Thief, now working on Scholar). cool stories

are there dungeons and things that you do in between stories, or are the stories the whole game? I don't really have a grasp of how the game's structured

Most chapters have an accompanying dungeon but there are also world dungeons that you'll find by exploring around.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

There are little dungeons linked to side quests like the Rouge’s Hideaway or whatever near Clockbank. There are also Crossed Paths which are side stories involving two characters, which I assume sometimes have dungeons.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just to follow on from that, since I've not had as much time to play as I'd like, but are there any bigger dungeons in this? The first game had these sad little micro dungeons that were really underwhelming.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah the influence is super obvious imo

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Lostseed is pretty hosed up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I almost skipped Partitos intro because I didn't realize how much better the presentation is, don't skip anything imo

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It says Osvald's intro continues to the end of chapter 2, does that mean I dont get any other party members for ages or what?

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
His chapter 2's really short, it's basically an epilogue to his first one. The game's approach to character stories is less formulaic than 1.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

A Sinister Rap posted:

His chapter 2's really short, it's basically an epilogue to his first one. The game's approach to character stories is less formulaic than 1.

Ah cool.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm kinda confused on the npc help. It seems like it's guaranteed for the NPC to appear if I use Agnea's dancer skill but nothing else. Ochette can also get an NPC but I haven't seen her trigger a summon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm kinda confused on the npc help. It seems like it's guaranteed for the NPC to appear if I use Agnea's dancer skill but nothing else. Ochette can also get an NPC but I haven't seen her trigger a summon.

They generally don't appear in combat unless you the special command the characters have. Agnea's dance passive is the exception.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I appreciate the high praise from j schrier for not making me write the game off entirely

I'm still not gonna skip the first game tho

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I liked the 1st game but with Octopath 2 out now I honestly feel you get a better experience if you just start with the 2nd one. Because it's basically a direct upgrade.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah, Octopath 1 was fun but I feel you're still not really losing anything by going straight to this one.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

A Sinister Rap posted:

I'm pretty sure you're right, and I think that's why Live-A-Live got a HD-2D style remake.

That and Nintendo was willing to help out.

Caidin posted:

Interesting thing about that optional whirlpool boss...

That motherfucker can pop back up as a random encounter on the ocean. :argh:

That just means that Ochette can capture it! :getin:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Meowywitch posted:

I appreciate the high praise from j schrier for not making me write the game off entirely

I'm still not gonna skip the first game tho

The first game isn't really that good. It's kind of novel for what it is but I could never shake the feeling it was a glorified tech demo. I bounced off OT1 hard. OT2 has my attention and is polished in every single way a game can be. Play what you want, but there's absolutely no harm in starting with Octopath 2.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Octopath 2 is definitely improved from Octopath the First in basically all areas, and yet nobody has as hype a voice line as Olberic shouting MY BLADE IS UNBENDING before completely annihilating a boss, so it's actually impossible to say which is the better game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Imagine how the new version of Dragon Quest III plays.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Frankly, playing OctoDos makes me think how much more fun DQ3 will be so I'd like to hear more about that please.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Weirdly enough, as dull as the first game was—I burnt out before even collecting all eight characters—the second makes me want to go back and play it. More to pick it apart mechanically and find all the goodies and secrets than anything else. The first game succeeded in that respect anyway, other than those dire thief-only chests. Though I think I’d probably end up getting bored again if I tried.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first one is great but a bit easy and repetitive, it's kinda like rogue legacy 2, a game that just makes its predecessor irrelevant

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

Pretty sure the only chapter 2 you should even consider doing without a full party is Osvald's since you don't have much of a choice.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Finished Castti's chapter 2 boss after getting wiped twice. Silly me forgetting that my lead character's level isn't necessarily representative of the rest of my party's levels. Was fun though scraping out a win even through racking up 12-15 KOs on the winning attempt.

Just like with the first game, levels don't matter as much as a good party composition (especially if you get your hands on some decent gear). Like, I killed a 95k hp boss, who could act twice a round and do 1k+ damage attacks, including knocking 2 party members out of the fight for several rounds with a party under level 30 because the party was just that solid of a composition while making full use of my pile of mostly unused items. That group also explored a threat level 50 area, looting everything there and winning some encounters including capturing a blood revenant for ochette, which is a max power monster with a once per fight use restriction, and she's had an 8 strength AOE monster since about level 20.

Folt The Bolt posted:

That just means that Ochette can capture it! :getin:

I'm going to need a trip report on this and how it goes.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Hopefully we get an update by/on Dragon Quest Day this May.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

…oh goddammit I just got the pun/reference with Partitio’s main antagonist’s name

You know, that mister Roque feller?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the new team of characters in Octo2 alone makes it much better. I think as a whole the characters and their stories are much, much more interesting in this one. I can barely remember the cleric from Octo1 but the cleric in this is kind of a smartass skeptic with a lot of Sherlock vibes. I couldn't tell you anything about the Scholar/Apothecary/Merchant characters either besides very basic tropes while the magic man in this is immediately put into Alcatraz for 5 years and is made out to be an intense and brooding personality.

I do miss H'annit's ye olde voice and Therion's smartass poo poo but Ochette is hugely fun as a non-human party member and Throne is very much worthy of the Thief slot. Other than those two being comparable I can't think of anyone from the first game I'd put over the characters in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

While I loved the first game to pieces yeah this cast is definitely stronger, more well-rounded, and more interested and varied in personality. I still miss Therion's "Ahahaha!" when boosting though, it was so stupid it was endearing for the little edgelord.

Some of the OT1 cast had their moments though. I remember really liking the finale to Ophilia's story because the little quiet, reserved cleric just kind of shrugging off an unhinged villain speech and telling him to gently caress off was pretty great.