Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sensenmann posted:

All turrets can glitch out like this. There is one during Rad Rumble that will do the same and fire on everyone without doing any damage.

Solution is to just not build any turrets in camps. Ranged enemies stay outside their range anyways, plinking away at your camp, and melee enemies get hit like 1 out of 20 shots. Any defense items in your camp will attract more mobs, so having none will severely decrease camp attacks. They also eat a lot of budget.

They do it consistently, problem is they damage my poo poo with misses instead of the invincible traders. Also the mobs frequently spawn inside the structures.

Didn't know defenses made it more likely, guess I'll get rid of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
I’ve never had a turret do more good than bad.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Any defense items in your camp will attract more mobs, so having none will severely decrease camp attacks. They also eat a lot of budget.

Wait, what? Isn't this the exact opposite of how it worked with settlements in Fallout 4?

I went ahead and subbed to Fallout 1st yesterday. Please tell me you can place the special lobby shelter without that ENORMOUS vault door. It actually can't be built anywhere in my camp because the ground isn't flat enough. Also, I saw there's some riot paint for the ranger helmet, but I'm not sure if it was limited release or if it's in the atom store rotation?

The scrap box and ammo box are so nice, but my entire vendoring workflow has been destroyed. Everything goes in its box and there's always room. I don't even have to separate out the bunk/heavy ammo types anymore. It honestly feels like cheating in a sense after all the time I spent sorting ammo, processing it in the ammo machine or dropping it.

Oh, I did a couple more mutated events yesterday and both actually improved the event. It was Guided Meditation, first time with stealth ghouls, second time with super fast ghouls. Stealth meant instead of sniping everything from a mile away people were posted throughout the path watching for the stealth blurs. Super fast was just chaotic, it was surprisingly fun.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 3, 2023

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

I went ahead and subbed to Fallout 1st yesterday. Please tell me you can place the special lobby shelter without that ENORMOUS vault door.

The atom shop shelters all have a massive vault door/unique entrance and a slim, normal door. Both of them act as a way into whatever shelter you want. I think the basic shelter from Vault 51 is the only one with a single type of entrance.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Psychedelicatessen posted:

The atom shop shelters all have a massive vault door/unique entrance and a slim, normal door. Both of them act as a way into whatever shelter you want. I think the basic shelter from Vault 51 is the only one with a single type of entrance.

Oh wait, was there an alternate version if I had just selected right during crafting? I will look at it again tonight, thanks. My utility room works, but it is starting to feel cramped. Too bad theres no option to fast travel into the shelter like the other fast travel interiors.

Is there a "best" shelter? I considered buying the storage shelter because it looks like it has a huge buildable space and I thought about putting my own Nuka-Cade together.

e: Does anyone know what the new scrip cap is? I blew past 5000 by mistake and can't find update notes that mention it.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 2, 2023

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
“Best” is just about preference. They are all just empty spaces with a theme, some are bigger than others.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

e: Does anyone know what the new scrip cap is? I blew past 5000 by mistake and can't find update notes that mention it.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Wee Bairns posted:

That actually sounds like a bug, of which there are many; I don't think I've ever had placed turrets start attacking vendor NPCs. Hell, half the time they barely attack the enemies...

I've come back to my base to find half my house gone and Graham furiously punching the poo poo out of my furniture because my turrets decided to open up on him

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

titties posted:

I've come back to my base to find half my house gone and Graham furiously punching the poo poo out of my furniture because my turrets decided to open up on him

Maybe he just doesn't like your taste in home decor?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Super glad they added the option to remove screen shakes, some events used to literally make me sick with the combo of loud noise, flashing lights and shakes.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, that's a good change, no doubt.

Not a bad patch in general although I feel as if some of the DO mutations should not have been brought outside to the big events. Active Camo is just annoying, no matter the event. And Reflective Damage, the new one, hits like a truck. Unless I'm at 60% health, I will die when that triggers. Seems excessive.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Yeah, that's a good change, no doubt.

Not a bad patch in general although I feel as if some of the DO mutations should not have been brought outside to the big events. Active Camo is just annoying, no matter the event. And Reflective Damage, the new one, hits like a truck. Unless I'm at 60% health, I will die when that triggers. Seems excessive.

Reflective is a tough one, but when I get it in moonshine jamboree, I feel like people would be fine if they just slowed their reactions to enemies. The stills can take a bit of abuse and a couple stray rounds can pull most enemies your way, so it becomes more of a game of stop-go... Except for the explosives users and the teslas smart enough to shoot the ground or other players to start a chain.

Active camo I actually really enjoy on guided meditation. I love holing up somewhere and waiting for the predator blurs to pop up, it feels better than one sniper locking the entire area down. Super fast is effectively the same except you need to be one-shotting them or they will eventually overwhelm the speakers. (Not that it's hard to repair them.)

Also, I am enjoying the ability to reroll challenges, but it would be so much better if "do a daily op" didn't typically reroll to "do more daily ops/in a costume/in a group/intoxicated". It's mostly just good for the odd "use specific alcohol you don't have stocked" kinds of challenges.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I just got into this game. I keep scrapping all my junk, then putting all junk in my stash. That's the way to go right? All guns I have no use for I scrap as well. I just started building a base, but so far it's just some workbenches and a cooking station on the dirt floor.

I found out if I join a group, I can benefit from it like the perk card where you do more or take less dmg in a team and free fast travels, without even bothering with actual multiplayer. Right now I just want to do the questing and that seems easy solo so far.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

Reflective is a tough one, but when I get it in moonshine jamboree, I feel like people would be fine if they just slowed their reactions to enemies. The stills can take a bit of abuse and a couple stray rounds can pull most enemies your way, so it becomes more of a game of stop-go... Except for the explosives users and the teslas smart enough to shoot the ground or other players to start a chain.

Active camo I actually really enjoy on guided meditation. I love holing up somewhere and waiting for the predator blurs to pop up, it feels better than one sniper locking the entire area down. Super fast is effectively the same except you need to be one-shotting them or they will eventually overwhelm the speakers. (Not that it's hard to repair them.)

Also, I am enjoying the ability to reroll challenges, but it would be so much better if "do a daily op" didn't typically reroll to "do more daily ops/in a costume/in a group/intoxicated". It's mostly just good for the odd "use specific alcohol you don't have stocked" kinds of challenges.

Teslas don't deal high enough damage to be worried about the Reflective part, they're mob taggers for XP. Same for pretty much anything that isn't a high damage dealer. Plasma Caster, Plasma Gatling, RR, Auto Axe, full auto Fixer/Handmade or a Shotgun are the weapons you need to be careful with. I've gone from 80% HP to almost death from a single Plasma Caster hit that happened to trigger the Reflective Damage. I actually like it, it's fun although weird.

I also wouldn't mind Active Camo if it weren't so buggy. Most of the time the mobs decloak after they've emptied half a mag into you. It's not hard, just annoying.

And I agree on the re rolls. Bullshti challenge? Re roll it is.

Sioux posted:

I just got into this game. I keep scrapping all my junk, then putting all junk in my stash. That's the way to go right? All guns I have no use for I scrap as well. I just started building a base, but so far it's just some workbenches and a cooking station on the dirt floor.

I found out if I join a group, I can benefit from it like the perk card where you do more or take less dmg in a team and free fast travels, without even bothering with actual multiplayer. Right now I just want to do the questing and that seems easy solo so far.

Keep a bit of everything but don't put too much into your stash. There is literally everything a quick fast travel away, you just have to know where to look.

And yes, always join a group. If you are feeling particularly adventurous, try your luck with fast travelling to a high level team mate, they might take you on a tour across the wasteland. To places you definitely shouldn't be yet. I have a lot of fun doing that with low levels and it's usually a hoot and a half. Until they get annoying and start to spam the trade emote, at which point they get abandoned in a nasty place.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 8, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I keep 100 of everything, sell/dump the rest. Except adhesive and ballistic fiber because you can never have enough of those. Aluminium too, maybe.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I mostly keep only gunpowder, lead and steel.

That way I never have to take my finger off the trigger.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Another Bill posted:

I mostly keep only gunpowder, lead and steel.

That way I never have to take my finger off the trigger.

I have some perk so I never have to make or buy ammunition.

Ditto in Fallout 76.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yeah I mean I run daily ops so I never really need to make ammo anyways but unleashing my bloodied explosive 5mm is just so dang fun

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Plasma Caster, Plasma Gatling, RR, Auto Axe, full auto Fixer/Handmade or a Shotgun are the weapons you need to be careful with. I've gone from 80% HP to almost death from a single Plasma Caster hit that happened to trigger the Reflective Damage. I actually like it, it's fun although weird.

I also wouldn't mind Active Camo if it weren't so buggy. Most of the time the mobs decloak after they've emptied half a mag into you. It's not hard, just annoying.

Yeah, I was out with the Cold Shoulder to clear those daily/weekly challenges and got reflective Guided Meditation for the first time. I one-shotted myself a couple times with some poorly timed and apparently immaculately aimed shots. I think active camo and reflective both suffer from some server sync weirdness.

I played resilient Moonshine Jamboree as well and had an absolute blast mixing it up down on the ground messing up enemies with the shotgun then finishing them off with a bash. It's a good loop, made the whole thing feel more visceral. Also, I noticed people get the chance to tag a lot more enemies, the tub filled up in no time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I keep 100 of everything, sell/dump the rest. Except adhesive and ballistic fiber because you can never have enough of those. Aluminium too, maybe.

it feels bad to just throw materials right on the ground but yeah this is pretty much what you do in this game. when you get your poo poo together you realize pretty much anything can be obtained in large quantities at will so it stops being a really big deal to hoard a lot of it. I don't know why Bethesda chose to put something so basic behind a subscription, if they had even just sold unlimited stash for like $20 bucks I would have bought it in a heartbeat :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Of course I build neat stuff in my CAMP first. But that isn't a huge junk sink, unlike me.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

it feels bad to just throw materials right on the ground but yeah this is pretty much what you do in this game. when you get your poo poo together you realize pretty much anything can be obtained in large quantities at will so it stops being a really big deal to hoard a lot of it. I don't know why Bethesda chose to put something so basic behind a subscription, if they had even just sold unlimited stash for like $20 bucks I would have bought it in a heartbeat :shrug:

One thing that will probably blow up your stash weight is the amount of steel you collect, particularly if you compulsively pick up and scrap weapons with the scrapper perk like I do. One Eviction Notice can easily net you hundreds of units of steel from miniguns. My favorite way to deal with it is to process the excess into railway spikes and (if you have it) feed them directly into the ammo converter. I've effectively got ammo on demand since I've maxed out ammo points this way, it's surprisingly handy, particularly to save on lead or plastic.

Definitely pay attention to stack weights for ammo and grenades and the like as well. If you don't have the ammo container from a subscription, I'd recommend either dumping or converting missiles, mini nukes, 40mm grenades, railway spikes, arrows, crossbow bolts, harpoons and syringer ammo because they are either too heavy or basically impossible to sell in your vendor.

Maintaining a vendor with excess bulk and ammo can help you get something back as well, since it's not capped like the NPC vendors.

Everyone does it a little differently, but I actually find some of those inventory management loops enjoyable.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
It's worth pointing out that Beth would love to sell you unnlimited stash, it's just that the engine can't handle it without severe lag. Or downright crashes.

The stash box works because everything you can put in there is stackable and has no condition.

The reason the ammo box works is because it doesn't allow you to stuff Cores into it because they have a capacity. 100%, 99%, 98%, etc. you get the idea. Any other ammo type is, again, stackable.

It's similar for weapons and armors. All have a condition. Fully repaired, half repaired, broken, anything in between. Add legendaries and the 3 modifiers into the mix and you get a couple dozen base ID items with hundreds and hundreds of variations thanks to the legendary modifier and the state the weapon/armor is in.

I'm assuming that at some point they'll add a Med Box for all the chems because the same principle applies. All are stackable. Water, standard booze, Nuka Colas who knows. Probably not because they'd have to justify giving a box for that but not any other drink type.

Food, weapons and armor, however, will never get their dedicated stash boxes unless they severely overhaul the engine, which I honestly doubt.

As for caps, at some point you stop caring. I'm pretty much constantly at the max and occasionally bother to buy a serum recipe or a bunch of bulk junk just to get it back down again.

Same for Gold, Stamps. Basically any currency that ain't scrip is bound to become obsolete at some point in your journey.

I don't bother with Gold anymore. Got everything, so, Lunchboxes and Gum it is. If I feel like it.
Same for Stamps. Got everything with the exception of like 4 or so plans, which I don't care for and will get anyway thanks to the 1 free plan a week thing.

All that matters is scrip and even that gets kind of sidelined once you have your godrolls.

I have a full set of Uny SS armor with AP refresh, several godroll Fixers and Railway Rifles, a full set of Overeaters T65, godroll .50, a Flamer, 5mm and a GP.

There is nothing I actually need and at some point all of you will get there.

TL;DR

Don't sweat it and just play the way you enjoy. ;)

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 8, 2023

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Any chance the mannequins in the shop have a quick change feature to change outfits easily? Or are they purely display purposes only? Do they have a build limit?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

NofrikinfuN posted:

Any chance the mannequins in the shop have a quick change feature to change outfits easily? Or are they purely display purposes only? Do they have a build limit?

They don't. You can only build five per instance (shelters count separately) and the power armor displays draw from the same pool.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

They don't. You can only build five per instance (shelters count separately) and the power armor displays draw from the same pool.

Oh, that's kind of disappointing that the displays share a pool, particularly since they are two separate purchases. I don't really have a lot to display so it will probably work for me, but I could see where that could be a huge letdown for some. I will probably just throw out a few costumes that are different phases in my playthrough, I don't really have the kind of collections that people who have been around since day one have.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How do I display my teddy bears and 40 000 novelty teapots shaped like a house shaped like a teapot?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How do I display my teddy bears and 40 000 novelty teapots shaped like a house shaped like a teapot?

Single or Double Display Shelf. Plan can be bought from Phoenix in Watoga and, I think, the BoS Vendor Bot at the Whitespring.

And DIsplay Cases, you should know those by default.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sensenmann posted:

Single or Double Display Shelf. Plan can be bought from Phoenix in Watoga and, I think, the BoS Vendor Bot at the Whitespring.

You can't display junk items on those, just awkwardly place other buildable things on them.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

You can't display junk items on those, just awkwardly place other buildable things on them.

Oh right, my bad.

I checked and it's only the Display Cases that accept most stuff.

I use the Thanksgiving Display Case.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sensenmann posted:

Oh right, my bad.

I checked and it's only the Display Cases that accept most stuff.

I use the Thanksgiving Display Case.

Nevermind, items put in display cases eat up stash space :(

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Sorry for the noob questions, but...

Are you able to freely respec whenever you want? I just found out the punch card thing, I thought you could only change your perk cards but you can even change your SPECIAL points. Is there any way to gently caress up any build choices while leveling?

What's the advantage of power armor? I have one, but never seem to use it because I don't really know why. I'm still leveling, so maybe it's not that important yet? Mine makes a beeping noise and has a blinking red light indicator. Is that a battery thing?

I need plasma cartridges for my weapon, but to craft them I need a lot of lead and I don't have any. Where's the best place to get lead?

If you move your camp, do you destroy any improvements or are they saved automatically?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Sioux posted:

Sorry for the noob questions, but...

Are you able to freely respec whenever you want? I just found out the punch card thing, I thought you could only change your perk cards but you can even change your SPECIAL points. Is there any way to gently caress up any build choices while leveling?

Not really possible to gently caress your build choices anymore; though it didn't used to be that way.

quote:

What's the advantage of power armor? I have one, but never seem to use it because I don't really know why. I'm still leveling, so maybe it's not that important yet? Mine makes a beeping noise and has a blinking red light indicator. Is that a battery thing?

Strength (e.g. carrying capacity boost) and rad resistance; however it's not necessary if you have a good set of non-PA legendary armor. The only place it's really important is within nuke zones/highly irradiated areas if you don't plan on wearing a hazmat suit instead. In theory really good PA should be better than non-PA; in practice, a strong set of legendaries on Marine Armor or Secret Service Armor will make you nigh-invincible anyway.

quote:

I need plasma cartridges for my weapon, but to craft them I need a lot of lead and I don't have any. Where's the best place to get lead?

Don't waste time crafting plasma while you're leveling, it won't be cost effective until you've got the right perks to reduce the amount of mats you need (as well as Super Duper). Instead, run Daily Ops. Every enemy you kill in a daily op, drops the type of ammo you used to kill them. So if you use a plasma rifle, every enemy you kill will drop plasma cartridges. Assuming you can kill them efficiently, you'll come out ahead. Regardless, always make that you whip out your plasma rifle again when choose to complete the run and enter the rewards screen -- whatever weapon you have selected at that time will be what the reward screen's ammo drops for you.

It should be relatively easy to net a couple hundred additional cartridges each time you run one.

quote:

If you move your camp, do you destroy any improvements or are they saved automatically?

Everything goes back into storage, either as a collective blueprint or as individual items; either way you can then replace it down for free.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I attend an event, is corpse loot separate for every player? I noticed after an event no loot was disappearing from the corpses, so I'm assuming it is so - one more thing the game absolutely doesn't mention at all. What about teams? (Never been on a team.)

Gold scrap cant be made into gold bullion, right? (Not that I know what gold bullion is used for but I know it exists :D)

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If I attend an event, is corpse loot separate for every player? I noticed after an event no loot was disappearing from the corpses, so I'm assuming it is so - one more thing the game absolutely doesn't mention at all. What about teams? (Never been on a team.)

Loot seemingly not disappearing after you use area looting is a visual glitch. It's in your inventory, the server just didn't get to "updating" the corpses yet. Usually happens immediately after a big event has ended.

quote:

Gold scrap cant be made into gold bullion, right? (Not that I know what gold bullion is used for but I know it exists :D)

Correct.

Do the Wastelanders questline to get access to the gold vendors asap. The plans you can buy for Gold are top notch.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sensenmann posted:

Loot seemingly not disappearing after you use area looting is a visual glitch. It's in your inventory, the server just didn't get to "updating" the corpses yet. Usually happens immediately after a big event has ended.

No I mean it doesn't disappear on its own, which I take it means other people are looting from the same corpses, but separate loot?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

I also had no idea and did not want to ninja, but appears the loot is personal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

And I've been feeling so guilty...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thought I was close to the Gauss Shotgun, but turns out there's a whole level between "Friendly" and "Ally". :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Loot is personal, yes.

The only time you might be justified in feeling guilty for looting everything you find is when you stumble upon a death bag after one of the Nuke events, grab all the Flux and some poor low level who just got yeeted and respawned sees "Someone else has taken your poo poo" in the top left corner of the screen.