Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Barudak's getting a lot of poo poo...but who among us--upon learning that our finest dinner plans have been rendered nominally more inconvenient--do not occasionally find ourselves scuttling plans wholesale and instead dining upon the cold french fries we threw out the night before??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://twitter.com/GunshipMarkII/status/1630918054539411459

Not even Putin could stop this gigachad from finishing this mod.

MMod for HL2 was great. I need to do the Episodes with that at some point. If I didn't already play through Black Mesa fairly recently I'd give this a shot.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Barudak posted:

I would like all of the expansions in a single, complete package that does not require me to install another program on top of it to run them.

I actually looked at that exact link, then thought about how I'd go about getting the Alien World Order, and then about how I'd need to get another program and got tired enough that I think I'm just gonna buy Witchhaven 2 instead.

Edit: Bought Witchaven 1 and 2 instead

how have you made 34 pages of posts in this thread and you don't want to unzip a zip file and drop some data files in there. are you playing all of these games in dos

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Barudak's getting a lot of poo poo...but who among us--upon learning that our finest dinner plans have been rendered nominally more inconvenient--do not occasionally find ourselves scuttling plans wholesale and instead dining upon the cold french fries we threw out the night before??

I resent any accusations of the like. I've never thrown out french fries!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://twitter.com/GunshipMarkII/status/1630918054539411459

Not even Putin could stop this gigachad from finishing this mod.

I just about made it all the way through HL2+Episodes with MMOD and I couldn't get over how inaccurate all the guns were. I haven't played vanilla HL2 in a long time so maybe that was true in the original but wow it was frustrating.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Witchaven 2 has an adorable little Jump Scare animation built into the game that does nothing. Couldnt include in the manual all the weapon damage values or fix the bugged items, but could make a little face pop up sometimes on the screen.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

I would like all of the expansions in a single, complete package that does not require me to install another program on top of it to run them.

I actually looked at that exact link, then thought about how I'd go about getting the Alien World Order, and then about how I'd need to get another program and got tired enough that I think I'm just gonna buy Witchhaven 2 instead.

Edit: Bought Witchaven 1 and 2 instead

*brow furrowed, finger hovering over the probate button*

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

*brow furrowed, finger hovering over the probate button*

haha i was wondering if you actually read this thread. hi mod

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’m just an IK! I genuinely try and read everything in Retro Games though, somewhat helped by the fact that it’s not a super fast moving sub forum.

I just don’t have complex opinions on retro FPS or boomer shooter stuff that seem worth posting about beyond “Amid Evil owns and everyone should play it.”

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Witchaven 2 has an adorable little Jump Scare animation built into the game that does nothing.

So it's a Capstone game

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

I’m just an IK! I genuinely try and read everything in Retro Games though, somewhat helped by the fact that it’s not a super fast moving sub forum.

I just don’t have complex opinions on retro FPS or boomer shooter stuff that seem worth posting about beyond “Amid Evil owns and everyone should play it.”

you should join us in the doom wad thread and just completely ignore all other games forever now

only doom

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mode 7 posted:

“Amid Evil owns and everyone should play it.”

Agreed and tbh at this point if Black Labyrinth isn't nearly a full blown sequel I'm gonna be disappointed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was talking up how good New Blood FPS games were to my friend and he seemed kinda interested in amid evil after I told him about the planet launcher but when we watched the trailer he snickered at it and was like it looks lovely and unpolished and I didn't even know how to respond

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Agreed and tbh at this point if Black Labyrinth isn't nearly a full blown sequel I'm gonna be disappointed

Same. I thirst for it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MMF Freeway posted:

Have they ever said anything about the scale of Black Labyrinth beyond “it’s another episode”? If it’s only the size of the base game episodes I’m kind of surprised it’s taken this long.

Steam desc says it’s a “full prequel”. Sounds like more than one episode?

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 2, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It looks rad as hell but I'm gonna miss that axe. One of the best FPS melee weapons ever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

It looks rad as hell but I'm gonna miss that axe. One of the best FPS melee weapons ever

What about the entire arsenal of Witchaven?????

Im kidding, all the melee weapons are trash

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Milo and POTUS posted:

CLONGCLONGCLONGCLONGCLONGCLONG

Functionally I have nothing against it. but that poo poo hurts my ears

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

skasion posted:

Have they ever said anything about the scale of Black Labyrinth beyond “it’s another episode”? If it’s only the size of the base game episodes I’m kind of surprised it’s taken this long.

Steam desc says it’s a “full prequel”. Sounds like more than one episode?
I think the Pax Aus demo had a full four-level episode on its level select, so there's probably more than one episode (though also the designers gently yet firmly ushered players into level 1 so I didn't see the rest :v:)

Milo and POTUS posted:

The fists that replace them are gloriously overpowered and the soul powerup mode for them is hilarious.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I installed FAKK2 the other day, I can't blame someone for playing Witchhaven

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

bbcisdabomb posted:

I resent any accusations of the like. I've never thrown out french fries!

I just about made it all the way through HL2+Episodes with MMOD and I couldn't get over how inaccurate all the guns were. I haven't played vanilla HL2 in a long time so maybe that was true in the original but wow it was frustrating.

In the gameplay options menu there's a setting for weapon accuracy. IIRC there's the original HL2, where every weapon just has a flat spread. There's MMOD, where the longer you fire the more innacurate the shots get, encouraging short controlled bursts. Then there's an option that mixes them. There's also an option to have actual simulated projectiles, which while neat absolutely should be turned off.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

In the gameplay options menu there's a setting for weapon accuracy. IIRC there's the original HL2, where every weapon just has a flat spread. There's MMOD, where the longer you fire the more innacurate the shots get, encouraging short controlled bursts. Then there's an option that mixes them. There's also an option to have actual simulated projectiles, which while neat absolutely should be turned off.

Strong disagree, getting rid of hitscan in MMod suddenly turned HL2 into a best-in-class shooter.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm going to see how high I can turn up the accuracy and see if that helps me make it through the Strider fights at the end of Ep 2

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was talking up how good New Blood FPS games were to my friend and he seemed kinda interested in amid evil after I told him about the planet launcher but when we watched the trailer he snickered at it and was like it looks lovely and unpolished and I didn't even know how to respond

Put a collector's edition of Forspoken through his front window with a potato cannon.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm going to see how high I can turn up the accuracy and see if that helps me make it through the Strider fights at the end of Ep 2

Do note that MMOD really ups the accuracy and damage of the Striders, and that stuff is hardcoded and can't be changed. One of the few changes that the mod makes that I hate (that and the Combine soldiers using the MP7's grenade launcher. EAUGH.)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly Half-Life 2 isn't actually a very good shooter from a gameplay perspective

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's a good shooter as long as you're not shooting bullets.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

when is dusk 2. or even just an ep 4. ultimate dusk. please, my crops are dying

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my opinion after a recent replay of all of em became firmly cemented as

hl2 < hl1 < black mesa/opposing force

dunno where to place blue shift since a lot of it is very similar to normal hl1, so I guess it's just an addendum of "if you liked hl1 enough to want to replay it, might as well play this to shake things up a bit".
opposing force is just great and black mesa, for the most part, makes hl1 feel better and includes some great new setpieces. the smg feels so much better to use in particular, running around mowing down hgrunts in the early firefights with it is so good

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

An Actual Princess posted:

when is dusk 2. or even just an ep 4. ultimate dusk. please, my crops are dying
I don't think there are any plans for another episode. There's been some murmuring about a sort of "remix" mode where you play the same levels with a very different skill set, but that's quite a ways down the line.

Current Dusk development is primarily focused on PS4/Xbox ports and finishing the mod support/SDK, while David's well and truly off in Gloomwood world.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
HL2 is the best bludgeon someone to death with a hypersonic toilet game I've ever played.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Put a collector's edition of Forspoken through his front window with a potato cannon.

I think he's low key a graphics uh you know what. He also doesn't like quake 3 because it looks "cartoony"

Honestly with some of his opinions I've heard I don't know why I even bothered

SCheeseman posted:

It's a good shooter as long as you're not shooting bullets.

I like the crossbow still :shobon:

But yeah the basic weapons are dull as hell

IronicDongz posted:

my opinion after a recent replay of all of em became firmly cemented as

hl2 < hl1 < black mesa/opposing force

dunno where to place blue shift since a lot of it is very similar to normal hl1, so I guess it's just an addendum of "if you liked hl1 enough to want to replay it, might as well play this to shake things up a bit".
opposing force is just great and black mesa, for the most part, makes hl1 feel better and includes some great new setpieces. the smg feels so much better to use in particular, running around mowing down hgrunts in the early firefights with it is so good

I bounced off of Black mesa so hard. I get weird graphical glitches where I can't see poo poo and I don't know it just doesn't work for me. It's loving beautiful though. Not just technically but they really nailed the vibe while updating it. I also just preferred the weapons in HL1. Not being able to shoot the shotty mid reload isn't quite a dealbreaker but I did not care for that. And the SMG losing 40% of its ammo too, plus the recoil... I'll still buy the BM op4 and blue shift because I'm not insane

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 2, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

But where do you put the HL2 episodes in the HL continuum.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Shorter than HL2 so better

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Witchaven 2 has a magic spell that can open up doors, including ones you need keys to progress. This seems like a very useless spell, until you realize sometimes the keys just don't spawn in a level and this is like a built in debug.

Thanks Capstone!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sorry you are playing that awful game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sorry you are playing that awful game

Its growing on me, like mushroom colony.

The item which is supposed to automatically level you up uses the XP tables from the first game and as such can actually de-level you in the sequel. This is offset by the enemy that can level drain you no longer being able to do so, but still being able to make the word "shocked" appear on your screen which otherwise does nothing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's like watching someone decide to get really into CBT

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

As long as it's between consenting adults and doesn't cause permanent harm I don't care what people do. Though Witchaven probably constitutes permanent harm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Turin Turambar posted:

But where do you put the HL2 episodes in the HL continuum.

Honestly HL2 feels like the weakest of the episodes, so EP2<EP1<HL2. Episode 2 spends so much time fighting not-combine in some very pretty but rather dull environments when I'd rather just be shooting some dudes with actual tactics and guns. Episode 1 spends a lot of its time in the dark but starts you off with the super gravity gun, so you at least start on a high note.

I will say the White Forest gauntlet in Ep2 is some of the best Half-Lifing you can get. There's a real sense of urgency you get from trying to run to the Combine-occupied sections of the base while you slaughter everything and try to find the switch to stem the tide of reinforcements, and when you hit that switch you find out it's not over, the Striders are coming.