Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
UKMT : These blokes get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kin posted:

80ish years for English pride to die off enough for cities/regions to defect to Scotland instead of London?

How long have you lot been banging your World Cup drum again?

It feels like at least 1000 although it's actually less than 60

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

forkboy84 posted:

It feels like at least 1000 although it's actually less than 60

Years of hurt. My ears in particular have had it hard.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol, Jesus. I don't know that even the people who referred to New New Labour as 'continuity Change UK' meant it as literally as this.

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1631199220446158848?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

God, imagine being a member of the same party as Mike Gapes. That must suck.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Setting the stage for the glorious return of Chuka Umunna

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Zalakwe posted:

I didn't know that to be fair but ten years ago I was working for the Lib Dems. poo poo changes. For example I very much enjoyed Frank leading the singalong to Thatcher hosed the Kids in Dundee a few weeks ago while that Gaudian article says he regrets writing it.

Frank is a complicated guy, will happily and readily admit he has hosed up a lot, and has spent his whole career with his heart on his sleeve working through what his childhood did to him. He would just be starting to realise the impact all the coke and booze was having in his life round the time of that Guardian interview as well. Not sure if he was off it.

What you don't get from him is performative politics or lies and I think it's good to have people like that around. The world simply isn't as black and white as words on the internet makes it seem. Here is a more recent interview of his and while it doesn't go full gay luxury communism or anything like that it gives a flavour of how his views have shifted and I think the quote for the headline says a lot about his growth. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/frank-turner-interview-addiction-dad-b2004119.html

He has a tune on his latest album about how Eton was child abuse.

He produces Grace Petrie as well I believe.

My own feelings on Frank Turner are.. complicated. My little brother got to know him personally while he was living in New York and introduced me to his music with Photosynthesis, which I loved (I still consider Love, Ire and Song one of my fave albums); my wife and I had our first dance at our wedding to ‘The Way I Tend To Be’ (that I still can’t listen to without bawling like a baby) and he’s one of the very few artists that i’ve seen multiple times live since 2010. However the ‘Be More Kind’ album from 2018 burned away a huge amount of the good will I had- at a time post brexit and when there was still hope alive in this country it was basically an ode to centrism, in straight up text as well as subtext. Left a real sour taste in my mouth.

Oh yeah, and he refused to do a charity gig my bro organised back in 2011 because he wouldn’t get a big enough cut- gently caress him for that. We still had The Correspondents, Mr B and a load of other great acts that night and raised a shitload of money. :p

Still though, as someone the same age and from a similar class who was also hosed up by public school (in fact we grew up living less than a mile apart at times- his mum’s place was on my walk to school) I can’t help but feel some empathy with him. I’m glad to hear that his political stances are improving- and tbf if you’d asked me in 2010 my politics I’d have given the exact same answer.

And yeah, his support of Grace Petrie does a lot to redeem him in my eyes. Love her to bits, even if the 2019 ‘Lefty Scum’ tour she played on was… slightly missold lol.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

The PSNI arrest 4 "Prominent Republicans." (IE people who are known to be connected to the New IRA.)

The police have a habit of arresting random people immediately to make it look like they are doing something.
Every big crime news story you will get 'an X man/woman has been arrested to help with their inquiries'.
And a few days later its 'the person has been released' when the media spotlight has gone.

So they may have just rounded up all the known IRA wackjobs from the area, and found out eventually it was these other guys.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

lol, Jesus. I don't know that even the people who referred to New New Labour as 'continuity Change UK' meant it as literally as this.

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1631199220446158848?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q
lmao strong patriotic pro-NATO position.

Strongly and patriotically being told when and how I can use my military budget, but at least they'll let me blow up a school bus in Yemen while milk and whiskey dribbles down my chin every now and again.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I can’t see the name Mike Gapes without thinking of Goatse :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I also think "massive arsehole" whenever I see or hear him.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/i_ammukhtar/status/1631261834291322881?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Coyle is coming back in as well

https://twitter.com/aaronbastani/status/1631054035460423680?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol. He’s so bitter

https://twitter.com/haggis_uk/status/1631267395120553984?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Am I going insane or did someone do something similar to another British politician a little while ago?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Well he's right about that bit though.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Answers Me posted:

Am I going insane or did someone do something similar to another British politician a little while ago?

A cop/wannabe police commissioner called Mike Pannett

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/Seoirse_/status/1631278273438142464?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone know about s20 notices here?

If there is enough money (say £20k) in the sinking fund to cover the cost of remedial works to the roof (£20k), do you still need to serve a s20 as the notional cost per flat (albeit no extra charge will need to be raised) is above the £250?

Prof Google has not assisted in my search for an answer.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Camrath posted:

My own feelings on Frank Turner are.. complicated. My little brother got to know him personally while he was living in New York and introduced me to his music with Photosynthesis, which I loved (I still consider Love, Ire and Song one of my fave albums); my wife and I had our first dance at our wedding to ‘The Way I Tend To Be’ (that I still can’t listen to without bawling like a baby) and he’s one of the very few artists that i’ve seen multiple times live since 2010. However the ‘Be More Kind’ album from 2018 burned away a huge amount of the good will I had- at a time post brexit and when there was still hope alive in this country it was basically an ode to centrism, in straight up text as well as subtext. Left a real sour taste in my mouth.

Oh yeah, and he refused to do a charity gig my bro organised back in 2011 because he wouldn’t get a big enough cut- gently caress him for that. We still had The Correspondents, Mr B and a load of other great acts that night and raised a shitload of money. :p

Still though, as someone the same age and from a similar class who was also hosed up by public school (in fact we grew up living less than a mile apart at times- his mum’s place was on my walk to school) I can’t help but feel some empathy with him. I’m glad to hear that his political stances are improving- and tbf if you’d asked me in 2010 my politics I’d have given the exact same answer.

And yeah, his support of Grace Petrie does a lot to redeem him in my eyes. Love her to bits, even if the 2019 ‘Lefty Scum’ tour she played on was… slightly missold lol.

That's really interesting, thanks for posting.

He's a bit of a hero of mine but I am not naïve enough not to realise that if I had met him at some points in his life I could have come away thinking he was a dick. Like that time Mani spilled my pint (dick). Saying no to a charity gig because of your cut sounds like classic substance abuse behaviour to me.

I empathise a lot with him too despite having relatively little in common apart from being male, white, loving music and sometimes having crap mental health. It's about him though, or his words, rather than his politics. We tend to project our politics onto musicians and speakers but I'm not sure he is actually all that political an animal. He knows wrong when he sees it but when he's pressed on what's right he just seems flustered. It isn't his job.

What he does seem to care about, at least nowadays, is people. He played benefit gigs for teamsters all over the country all through lockdown. That makes him alright in my book.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 2, 2023

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Between the day-collar and the PopBitch story, they've got Truss' position wrong

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Private Speech posted:

Well he's right about that bit though.
No he’s not. He’s lying

In other news..

https://twitter.com/markcurtis30/status/1631201240129339392?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No loving way way Truss is a top, she is a bratty sub.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nilbop posted:

As far as I'm aware the "New IRA claiming responsibility" amounted to some guy finding a piece of laminated paper stuck to a wall somewhere in Derry.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-64783661

It's fair to take that at face value because, well, it's a paramilitary organization and they're not going to go on Nolan (only the UVF get to do that). But it's hard not to look at this piece of paper with spelling and syntax errors that the whole country decided to latch onto with a bit more suspicion now.

So this website had a copy of what was said in the letter which is what linked it to the New IRA.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/police-reviewing-new-ira-claim-of-responsibility-for-detectives-shooting-1439043.html

And yeah, that's what you are basing this investigation on? Like if that was a misdirection, it's using fairly common information to do so.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

smellmycheese posted:

No he’s not. He’s lying

Depends how you define "handful",

But it's more than I thought.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Those points are really small, you could probably fit 11 of them in your hand.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Anus-tart... good for you..... i guess. :shrug:

edit: Lidl Ballymoney N.I. lots of fruit and veg, no restrictions, prices ok. :dance:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 2, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

smellmycheese posted:

No he’s not. He’s lying

We know. His mouth was open.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Missing important information

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

they’re calling it a missed opportunity to catch him? despite them training him and bringing him back into the country despite his obvious security risk

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

So this website had a copy of what was said in the letter which is what linked it to the New IRA.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/police-reviewing-new-ira-claim-of-responsibility-for-detectives-shooting-1439043.html

And yeah, that's what you are basing this investigation on? Like if that was a misdirection, it's using fairly common information to do so.

During the conflict the IRA had recognised codewords they used when contacting local media outlets to claim responsibility. I'm sure someone in the I Can't Believe It's Not The IRA would have knowledge of those rather than sticking bits of paper to a wall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When corbyn suggested that the bombings were a result of UK foreign policy I don't know if he meant quite that literally.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

APOLOGISE NOW

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

During the conflict the IRA had recognised codewords they used when contacting local media outlets to claim responsibility. I'm sure someone in the I Can't Believe It's Not The IRA would have knowledge of those rather than sticking bits of paper to a wall.

The more I think about the story the more bizarre it gets.
All that's missing is a "PS: Don't bother investigating any Loyalists for this as it was definitely the IRA that did it."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Definitely don't investigate other members of the PSNI, it could not be any of them. It was the bad terrorists from the Very Real IRA.

Diet Crack posted:

APOLOGISE NOW

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Rarity posted:

Nope you're banned until then, stick to your principles :colbert:

my principles are posting

besides, the thread title seems to indicate I should post more

I just got a big box that might have trees in it and everything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that a new kind of loot crate?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

OwlFancier posted:

Is that a new kind of loot crate?

I uno I'm not allowed to open it in the lounge after I made a big mess the last time

Gotta take it to the farm and see what the crows say

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have been trying to train a crow army to do the revolution at asda but thus far they seem rather nonplussed at the food.

Do crows eat birdseed or are they carnivores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

whatever secrets the crows choose to tell you do not be snitchin to other humans